Contenders & Pretenders | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Contenders & Pretenders

Reaction Score
Mississippi State's rise to the final four this year did wonders for their confidence and resolve. Before, they thought they were good enough to play and compete with the "elites" at their level, now they know they are. As of today (Sat Dec 30), MS is 14-0. Looking at their preseason schedule, I'm only impressed with 3 wins:
@ Oklahoma State 79-76, #9 Oregon at home 90-79, and Syracuse 76-65 on a neutral court (tournament) in Las Vegas.

The rest of their wins were against teams I would consider soft. They've got upcoming games against #7 Tennessee, #4 South Carolina, #16 Missouri, and #22 Texas A&M. Let's see how they do against those teams before we crown them (Denny Green). That will give the fans a better idea of just how far they've come, and how resilient they are when facing a team that's comparable in talent, depth and experience.

I think that the 4 returning UConn players are all playing the same or better at this point in the season. I take into account that up to this point, UConn has played more top 15 teams, and more talented opponents than the teams you are comparing them to. Speaking of unpopular takes, heres one: IMO, Gabby was the only one that played her normal game against MS. Go back and look at the box score or a replay of the game if you can stand it. Collier was so ineffective, Geno pulled her. Nurse had 6 points in 35 minutes, way below her season average. Nurse can put up 6 points in two trips down the court in less than a minute. Lou's play was fair. NOTE - Schaefer got 12 points from his bench, Geno got 1. It was a perfect storm for the Bulldogs that day. ALL the ingredients they needed for an upset win manifested themselves. If a rematch occurs, that won't happen again.

South Carolina
is good. they return the premier post player in the country. Keep in mind that they've already lost to Notre Dame 92-85 in a neutral site tournament game, a team UConn beat by 9. Based on who UConn has played, and how they have played, I think it can be said that UConn is playing better (up to this point) than the other FF teams. It's much too early to begin to suggest who will make the FF. Everyone must play their conference games and post season tournaments before anyone can begin to compose a bracket.

Only 4 invitations will be awarded for participation that final weekend in Columbus in April. Right now, it looks like 6-7 teams could legitimately make it that far. Don't forget that dark horse that no one figures on. Last year, it was Mississippi State. The year before it was Oregon St and Washington. Will this be the year Baylor and Notre Dame make the FF as everyone assumes? Neither received an invitation the last 2 years.

UConn, Texas, Notre Dame, Mississippi State, Louisville, Maryland, South Carolina, #7 Tennessee, West Virginia, UCLA, Oregon, Ohio State, Florida State and maybe Texas A&M. That's 14 schools that all have travel plans to Columbus that first week in April. They're all playing well right now. None of them have more than 2 losses. Somebody's not going to make it. It's a safe bet that UConn will get their ticket punched, who will the other 3 be? :rolleyes:

Miss State could have won the SEC last season but lost their last two conference games to middling Tennessee and Kentucky squads. And of course lost the head to head to USC.

South Carolina is good but I haven't been blown away by our play lately. The game is at Miss State and it may be the conference decider. I worry about Vivians and it will be interesting to see whether either coach has their star post defend the other. Foul trouble might decide that game.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
At this point there are not many outstanding teams. UConn of course, Ms State and possibly Baylor and SC. Louisville may be undefeated but they just don’t have “it”.

Louisville has Asia Durr and if she gets hot enough there isn’t a guard in WCBB that can stop her. As much as I love post play... when it’s tournament time you need a guard that can take over, which scares me because that’s an area SC is severely lacking in right now. This team has no Tiffany Mitchell/Allisha Gray/Kaela Davis...

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Miss State could have won the SEC last season but lost their last two conference games to middling Tennessee and Kentucky squads. And of course lost the head to head to USC.

South Carolina is good but I haven't been blown away by our play lately. The game is at Miss State and it may be the conference decider. I worry about Vivians and it will be interesting to see whether either coach has their star post defend the other. Foul trouble might decide that game.

I’m very worried about that Miss State game. Wilson and Jennings will be huge in guarding McCowan and getting her in foul trouble. If she stays on the floor we’re screwed. Cliney will need to stick on Vivians like a magnet.. Jackson may get a shot at her too but she’ll need to turn up her intensity to a level above the level it was at when she was guarding Duke’s Greenwell. Not sure who we put on William... Cuevas would be the no brainer but she’s not available. I think William is too fast for Spann.

Reaction Score
I’m very worried about that Miss State game. Wilson and Jennings will be huge in guarding McCowan and getting her in foul trouble. If she stays on the floor we’re screwed. Cliney will need to stick on Vivians like a magnet.. Jackson may get a shot at her too but she’ll need to turn up her intensity to a level above the level it was at when she was guarding Duke’s Greenwell. Not sure who we put on William... Cuevas would be the no brainer but she’s not available. I think William is too fast for Spann.

Vivians plays the 4 for state this year. It's likely she'll match up against Wilson. The key to beating them this year is stay connected to their shooters and keep McCowan off the glass to limit extra opportunities.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Vivians plays the 4 for state this year. It's likely she'll match up against Wilson. The key to beating them this year is stay connected to their shooters and keep McCowan off the glass to limit extra opportunities.

Looks like Schaefer took a cue from Staley last season playing Gray at the 4.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While McCowan has looked unstoppable so far this season, I will be surprised if she has a big game vs SC. In Wilson the Gamecocks have one of the few players in the country with the size, strength and athleticism to body up McCowan and push her out of the low blocks. Once you push her away from the basket McCowan is not like Z. She’s not going to put the ball on the floor and start driving to the basket or start making jump shots.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
While McCowan has looked unstoppable so far this season, I will be surprised if she has a big game vs SC. In Wilson the Gamecocks have one of the few players in the country with the size, strength and athleticism to body up McCowan and push her out of the low blocks. Once you push her away from the basket McCowan is not like Z. She’s not going to put the ball on the floor and start driving to the basket or start making jump shots.

Exactly. Which is why it’s laughable when people even try to put McCowan in the same league as Wilson. McCowan is very good at what she does... and will probably be the preseason SEC POY next season but Wilson can do what McCowan does and then WAY more. I saw a post here not too long ago where said poster was seriously arguing that McCowan was more impressive than Wilson. It took everything in me not to get caught on that hook.. Not sure if it was sour grapes or trolling but it just made that poster look like he knew absolutely nothing about basketball..

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The thing that I am most concerned with for Tennessee. Is the January schedule. It's the toughest part of the schedule. South Carolina, Mississippi State, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M. it won't be easy.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The thing that I am most concerned with for Tennessee. Is the January schedule. It's the toughest part of the schedule. South Carolina, Mississippi State, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M. it won't be easy.
Well not every game can be against Kentucky and Auburn and Florida and Vanderbilt.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Well not every game can be against Kentucky and Auburn and Florida and Vanderbilt.
True. Tennessee has a few quality wins also Oklahoma State and Texas being the best wins so far. This month will tell us a lot about this team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Texas A&M has played 4 ranked teams and lost to all of them. They did beat Hawaii by 43, though.

The schedule of a giant-killer:

upload_2018-1-6_16-22-16.png

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They aren't a team to overlook. They lost to South Carolina 61-59.
They also squeaked out a four point win over a bad Kentucky team at home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom