Contenders & Pretenders | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Contenders & Pretenders

Reaction Score
That is not a Match I would like to see repeated. That is a good team, with fire power, plays more than good defense, and their coach is way underrated. No, that's not a game I want to see. CD is an excellent scout and has produced many victories on her ability to dissect potential opponents. She was being generous and accepting--- to accept the loss as her own. It wasn't her loss. Without a bench, without a big the loss was possible. This year Z--tends to foul on defense, Napheesa and Gabby do too. If foul trouble isn't controlled --who negates Ms State McGowan, and their other big not as effective but good big. Uconn will have to cover the boards and the mid and long range and corner shots from William and Vivians. Mcgowan can score from the top of the key to the basket. I hope they get knocked off before any Uconn rematch.

MSU is all that, no question about it. And to be clear, I'm not saying that it would be a cake walk for UConn. Just that the structure of our team is better now, and that certain of the tactics MSU used to beat us last time would not work again. Advantage UConn.

But where I will disagree somewhat is that I would love to see these two teams play again. To be the best, I think you have to beat the best. And a 12th National Championship would be all the more satisfying for me if UConn were to do it by going through MSU, ND or both.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the comments I made after the MS St upset is that Geno would never again allow his team to get caught in a game where the other team was walking the ball up the court and limiting the number of Husky posessions. Chalk that up to Vic out coaching Geno, bad play or lack of depth. If the two teams meet again, UConn will most definitely push the pace to get MS St into a track meet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of the comments I made after the MS St upset is that Geno would never again allow his team to get caught in a game where the other team was walking the ball up the court and limiting the number of Husky posessions. Chalk that up to Vic out coaching Geno, bad play or lack of depth. If the two teams meet again, UConn will most definitely push the pace to get MS St into a track meet.

Not sure what's the hype about with Miss St. this year. Yes they are very good but they seem more vulnerable this year then last. They also haven't played a tough schedule outside of Ok St, Oregon, and a rebuilding Syracuse team. They have no depth at the 4&5 spots. How's Vivians going to fare defensively guarding Wilson, Collier, or Nared? Each of those players are going to be matchup nightmares for her. Their guards don't have much height so I really can't see them giving players like KLS, Nurse, Harris, or Cliney fits defensively. I wouldn't be surprised if Georgia pulls off the upset Sunday. They matchup very well and Caliya Robison and Mackenzie Engram could give the Bulldogs some trouble. Just some observations.

Reaction Score
That is not a Match I would like to see repeated. That is a good team, with fire power, plays more than good defense, and their coach is way underrated. No, that's not a game I want to see. CD is an excellent scout and has produced many victories on her ability to dissect potential opponents. She was being generous and accepting--- to accept the loss as her own. It wasn't her loss. Without a bench, without a big the loss was possible. This year Z--tends to foul on defense, Napheesa and Gabby do too. If foul trouble isn't controlled --who negates Ms State McGowan, and their other big not as effective but good big. Uconn will have to cover the boards and the mid and long range and corner shots from William and Vivians. Mcgowan can score from the top of the key to the basket. I hope they get knocked off before any Uconn rematch.

What happens if McCowan gets into foul trouble?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure what's the hype about with Miss St. this year. Yes they are very good but they seem more vulnerable this year then last. They also haven't played a tough schedule outside of Ok St, Oregon, and a rebuilding Syracuse team. They have no depth at the 4&5 spots. How's Vivians going to fare defensively guarding Wilson, Collier, or Nared? Each of those players are going to be matchup nightmares for her. Their guards don't have much height so I really can't see them giving players like KLS, Nurse, Harris, or Cliney fits defensively. I wouldn't be surprised if Georgia pulls off the upset Sunday. They matchup very well and Caliya Robison and Mackenzie Engram could give the Bulldogs some trouble. Just some observations.
You’ve certainly seen MS St play more than I. Guess will know just how good the Bulldogs are on Feb 5 when the Gamecocks pay a visit to Starkville.

Reaction Score
Very good post by OP. Can't disagree with any of it. All 5 power conferences have must see games.
Miss St. vs South Carolina
Texas vs Baylor
Oregon vs UCLA
Notre Dame vs Louisville
Ohio State @ Maryland

I can include UConn vs USF plus DePaul vs Villanova.

Should be a great 2018 for WCBB.

Reaction Score
When Boothe/Holmes/Sutton touch the court together watch out for Texas.

Vs Tennessee Karen decided to not play Boothe and Patterson (highly recruited freshman). Both played the next two games vs Northwestern st and Florida State. Personally I think she wants them to develop while Holmes is on the court.

Texas will win the Big 12.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Very good post by OP. Can't disagree with any of it. All 5 power conferences have must see games.
Miss St. vs South Carolina
Texas vs Baylor
Oregon vs UCLA
Notre Dame vs Louisville
Ohio State @ Maryland

I can include UConn vs USF plus DePaul vs Villanova.

Should be a great 2018 for WCBB.
I honestly wish that UConn vs USF was truly a “must see” game, but the Bulls did not match up well with the Huskies in 3 meetings last season and it’s unlikely to change this season.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Won't Miss St. have to cover the boards, the long, mid range, and corner shots from Kia, KLS, Dangerfield, and Collier? Can't KLS, Collier, and Z, score from the top of the key to the basket? McGowan is prone to foul trouble and she will have to come away from the basket to guard Z because, I believe Z's outside shot will be accurate by NCAA Tournament time. How many times have Gabby and Collier fouled out this season? Collier will be hard to guard come tourney time.

Reaction Score
I honestly wish that UConn vs USF was truly a “must see” game, but the Bulls did not match up well with the Huskies in 3 meetings last season and it’s unlikely to change this season.

True. Huskies vs. Bulls was must see when UConn was going for their 4th Consecutive National Championship and USF had Courtney Williams on its team. These days, not so much. Still the high point of AAC Conference play, though.

Reaction Score
Old Dude...nice job as usual. You nailed the contenders and what an exciting final four that would be. IMO, the dream seeding in the final four would be 1) UCONN, 2) MSU, 3) ND and 4) SC....would love to see MSU smother ND while we do a number on "defending champion " SC. That sets up a MSU/UCONN final and there is no doubt in my mind that we would win going away. By playoff time, we will be better at every starting position over last year plus we have Z off the bench vs Butler. Add in MW and hopefully CB we will be in fantastic shape with great depth. Assuming the team makes a commitment to win the NC...and IMO they will....then zero worries.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of the 4 contenders listed in my OP, I believe ND is the team most likely to be upset prior to the FF. I base that belief on the fact that size and athleticism can sometimes make up for a lack of execution. ND has less size and athleticism than UConn, SC or MS St, therefore less margin for error.

Reaction Score
Uconn played horrible against Miss. St. in the FF with the Bulldogs out rebounding and out hustling the Huskies! Uconn also got Uconned in the 1st half especially that first quarter! Mississippi State also controlled tempo the whole game. IMO Uconn was way to over confident going into the game after the 60 pt. drubbing they gave them the year before in Sweet 16! If they play this year Uconn by 25 at least!!
That is a spot on analysis.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Old Dude...nice job as usual. You nailed the contenders and what an exciting final four that would be. IMO, the dream seeding in the final four would be 1) UCONN, 2) MSU, 3) ND and 4) SC....would love to see MSU smother ND while we do a number on "defending champion " SC. That sets up a MSU/UCONN final and there is no doubt in my mind that we would win going away. By playoff time, we will be better at every starting position over last year plus we have Z off the bench vs Butler. Add in MW and hopefully CB we will be in fantastic shape with great depth. Assuming the team makes a commitment to win the NC...and IMO they will....then zero worries.
Who is CB?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

The Bulls do not match up well with us. They do not have an inside game to challenge us. Henshaw at 6' 1" can't compete inside with Gabby or Pheesa or Z. Ferriera, though a tough player, is not enough inside. Keep Jespersen and Laksa in check and that's all she wrote. We will be there on 1/6 to watch!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Can Tennessee make the FF? I think it depends on if there are any injuries, the seed the team gets, and what teams are in the regional bracket.
Of course Tennessee can make the Final Four. Even two years ago, when the team often looked bad during the season and suffered a bunch of losses, they made the Elite Eight and were leading at halftime against Syracuse. To say that they're not capable of making a Final Four is just wrong.

The potential with Tennessee has always been there. This year they're playing closer to their potential than they have in several years. Perhaps that's not saying a lot, given the way the last two years have transpired, but still.

Reaction Score
MSU has been pretty good so far. McGowan and Vivians are carrying the load. I knew this team wouldn't have the depth of last year due to graduation of 4 regular contributors. The bench isn't bad but there is a considerable drop off in talent after the starters. Foul trouble and/or injury is a concern of mine as the team gets in to SEC play. Some fans on this board love to hate the SEC but it's a tough conference and there aren't many easy wins.

UT is much better than the last two years and could make a run under the right circumstances. SC relies a ton on Aja but she's the best player in the country and is tough to stop. I'm inclined to say ND is the 2nd best team even with their lack of depth. Texas looked not too great against Tennessee but everyone knows the talent is there and Holmes coming back gives them another weapon.

UConn is number one by far and I'm not sure any of the above teams could hang with them in the FF or NC. I don't think any of the above team are "pretenders" but none have as many weapons as UConn.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Miss St is the contender for the title. They'll be ready if they make the Championship game and will have no fear if their Opponent is UConn. They have a balance of inside and outside scoring. A dominant post player in Tearia McGowan and Victoria Vivians outside shooting and drives to the basket. Not sure what their rallying phrase is for this season, but I'm sure its something along the lines of Let's Finish what we started Last Year. The Finish is Winning the National Championship.

Miss St has the advantage of only playing South Carolina and the Lady Vols once this season and I think they win the SEC Conference Title and will end up as a #1 Seed.

Reaction Score
Miss St is the contender for the title. They'll be ready if they make the Championship game and will have no fear if their Opponent is UConn. They have a balance of inside and outside scoring. A dominant post player in Tearia McGowan and Victoria Vivians outside shooting and drives to the basket. Not sure what their rallying phrase is for this season, but I'm sure its something along the lines of Let's Finish what we started Last Year. The Finish is Winning the National Championship.

Miss St has the advantage of only playing South Carolina and the Lady Vols once this season and I think they win the SEC Conference Title and will end up as a #1 Seed.

I've been saying all season that MSU really needs to win the SEC championship this year. Finally beating SC in conference is an essential precursor for this group if they want to make the Final Four again and have a shot at winning it all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom