Conference representation in elite 8. | The Boneyard

Conference representation in elite 8.

Reaction Score
So just thinking about the Big East being such a deterrent for UConn being able to amount “quality wins in the regular season” I was thinking about how 2 BE teams are representing in the elite 8. All conferences as follows:
Creighton - BE
UConn - BE
Texas - B12
Michigan - B10
NCST - ACC
UL - ACC
SC - SEC
Stanford - PAC

So what have you, P5 conferences? The ACC is the only one with 2 teams still standing (along with the BE); are the P5 really worthy of all the extra consideration given to them in seeding and consideration for the NCAAT?

Let’s discuss.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the answer is that maybe most years the 8th or 9th team from a P5 should be dropped and a mid-major promoted - they really do scrape pretty far down in 1 or 2 conferences. Are the mid-major teams better, probably not, but both teams have basically an equal shot at making any noise (zero.)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I still believe that first you must have a winning Conference record to get into the tournament, unless you win your Conference tournament. Then the max that any Conference can get into the tournament is 6, the AQ and 5 at large.

This year you had you had a 12 seed Belmont, two 11's Villanova and Princeton and two 10's Creighton and S. Dakota win their first round. Then you had the two 10's win the second round while the 12 and two 11's gave the 4 and 3 seeds a close game.

In the Sweet 16 you had Creighton win against the #3 seed. If Creighton would happen to win tomorrow they would have beaten the #1, #2, #3 and #7 seeds to get to the Final Four. Charlie Cream didn't even have them getting into the dance.

Reaction Score
This is where The Fickled Finger of Fate comes in. That on any given day a miraculous upset can happen. There is nothing in this world I would love to see, besides UCONN win NO.12 , is for Creighton to beat South Carolina. It could happen.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I guess you are discounting DePaul, a top team in the Big East, getting blown out in a play-in game.

Anyway, who do you think didn't get in that should have gotten in?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I still believe that first you must have a winning Conference record to get into the tournament, unless you win your Conference tournament. Then the max that any Conference can get into the tournament is 6, the AQ and 5 at large.

This year you had you had a 12 seed Belmont, two 11's Villanova and Princeton and two 10's Creighton and S. Dakota win their first round. Then you had the two 10's win the second round while the 12 and two 11's gave the 4 and 3 seeds a close game.

In the Sweet 16 you had Creighton win against the #3 seed. If Creighton would happen to win tomorrow they would have beaten the #1, #2, #3 and #7 seeds to get to the Final Four. Charlie Cream didn't even have them getting into the dance.
I guess you are discounting DePaul, a top team in the Big East, getting blown out in a play-in game.

Other than the conference tourney being an AQ, I don't think there are any other requirements on getting a bid, other than all the massey/net/quad/poll/ad nauseam stuff that they use to rank and pick teams. I've pulled together some "stuff" re teams that didn't make the tourney vs who did, and I'll save that for offseason discussion when we need some stuff to chew on.

Reaction Score
I think the answer is that maybe most years the 8th or 9th team from a P5 should be dropped and a mid-major promoted - they really do scrape pretty far down in 1 or 2 conferences. Are the mid-major teams better, probably not, but both teams have basically an equal shot at making any noise (zero.)
Share the wealth... literally and emotionally! DId you see all those
Coyotes fans and loyal, if saddened , Hawkeye fans ( when Iowa lost ).
The Summit League has always had my respects.. now their fans are
also high in my estimatation!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is where The Fickled Finger of Fate comes in. That on any given day a miraculous upset can happen. There is nothing in this world I would love to see, besides UCONN win NO.12 , is for Creighton to beat South Carolina. It could happen.

A miracle would be a low-seeded team beating a high-seeded team; then being soundly defeated in the second round. When Creighton defeats a 7, a 2, and a 3, that's a pattern. Same with South Dakota defeating a 7 and a 2 and going down to the last shot against a 3.

Re the second quoted message, the only egregious snub that occurs to me is South Dakota State. But beyond that, you have some teams being seeded way lower than they should have. Princeton and Florida Gulf Coast were both top-25 teams and were 11 and 12 seeds. I'm still shaking my head at those two, who both won their first-round games.

Reaction Score
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here until a fairly measurable goal is established. To me that goal is...what enhances the women's game. I don't think you expand the audience of the game by having the 8th or 9th best team in a conference in the tournament. The next potential for growth is with "mid majors".

Reaction Score
I think the SEC gets too much credit for being a dominant conference. ACC at least year might be #1. PAC-10 or 12, whatever it is these days has fallen off what with Oregon, Oregon St, and UCLA slipping some. Will be interesting to see what the Big 12 brings next year. Big 10 - over rated..

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Zero? Tell the #15 seed men’s team St Peter’s that. I’m rooting for a Villanova-St. Peter’s final.

1648408166442.jpeg

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
In these discussions - everyone seems to forget that most of the teams in the current BE were in the oBE - which was a power conference.

What it lacks (currently) is the really strong teams from the oBE that went elsewhere.

One of the delights of the BE schools is that they largely can compete with most schools. They currently lack the facilities, fan bases and probably commitment to long term high level success.

I doubt there is any conference out there right now that UConn would not dominate. However, every other conference has those really strong teams that are consistently going to give UConn a run (even if, as usually happened in the old Big East, UConn still came out on top). I don't see that in the current Big East, remember, DePaul, arguably the most consistent long term successful team after UConn, has never beaten UConn.

Reaction Score
ask me after the final 4 and then I'll know. Because we get a sec vs big east matchup, a pac 12 vs big 12 matchup, a big east vs acc matchup, and a big 10 vs acc matchup.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Zero? Tell the #15 seed men’s team St Peter’s that. I’m rooting for a Villanova-St. Peter’s final.

View attachment 74909
I love St Peters and couldn't agree more in the men's tournament, but the women's game just isn't there yet. The last eight teams into the women's tournament are 11-12 seeds I believe, and while a few of them win a game or two, I don't think any have ever made it to the FF or E8 and I am not sure if any have made the S16. Ten seeds have on occasion made it to E8 but I don't believe the FF either - I am hoping Creighton pulls that off this year.

Edit: This year has been a particularly interesting women's tournament and yet we are still at the E8 with 4 one seeds, 2 two seeds, 1 three seed, and a surprise ten seed. (and that 10 seed wasn't mis-seeded to my eye.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Playing games are coin flips, right?

Reaction Score
So what have you, P5 conferences? The ACC is the only one with 2 teams still standing (along with the BE); are the P5 really worthy of all the extra consideration given to them in seeding and consideration for the NCAAT?

I would say, Yes. The P5 conferences are worthy of all of the extra consideration given to them when it comes to the NCAAT. Some of the P5 schools not only battle teams (who just happen to be ranked) in their conferences, they also schedule games against some of the Mid-Major programs around the area who are ranked as well, if teams can schedule those games in. I have zero problem with P5 conferences getting extra attention when it comes to NCAA Tournament. I left out the seeding part because to me it is just a number with the whole seeding thing. But your body work speaks for itself.

Reaction Score
Creme had Creighton in his Bracketology for the last 3 months (2021-22 Bracketology). He correctly predicted them as a 10 seed in his final Bracketology.

You may be confusing them with Villanova who made it over Missouri, which was his one incorrect pick.

Reaction Score
Creme had Creighton in his Bracketology for the last 3 months (2021-22 Bracketology). He correctly predicted them as a 10 seed in his final Bracketology.

You may be confusing them with Villanova who made it over Missouri, which was his one incorrect pick.
he had Depaul and Nova out

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

You are correct on Creme on Creighton, so I stand corrected. But why did he have Missouri still in the tournament is a mystery because they lost their first NIT game to Drake who wasn't even in the top half of the MVC.

Reaction Score
and now the big east only has 1, again why I wait until the elite 8 to decide.

Reaction Score
You are correct on Creme on Creighton, so I stand corrected. But why did he have Missouri still in the tournament is a mystery because they lost their first NIT game to Drake who wasn't even in the top half of the MVC.
he had Depaul and Nova out
I think we all need to be corrected.

Creighton was in, Villanova was in and it was DePaul that made it instead of Missouri.

Missouri was one of only two teams to beat South Carolina.

1648429792996.png

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Teams with loosing conference records should not be allowed in the tournament. Could there be exceptions yes. Maybe a team that is hit will a lot of injuries early in the season and gets healthy later in the season, perhaps depending on circumstance so you need to evaluate that. Having a conference get 6 or more teams in with a 500 record or loosing record imo NO. Again their could be exceptions based on injuries.

Reaction Score
I think we all need to be corrected.

Creighton was in, Villanova was in and it was DePaul that made it instead of Missouri.

Missouri was one of only two teams to beat South Carolina.

View attachment 74920
again all bracketologists use no logic. In one of the halftime shows he said if Nova keeps it closes or loses by 10 he would have them in if not he said they would be out, they lose by 30 and he goes against his own statement. In the men's side some dude named Jerry Palm had Michigan last 4 out after Indiana on Thursday, then on Sunday somehow a team moves up 4 spots without playing a game? None of them know anything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom