Conference representation in elite 8. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Conference representation in elite 8.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
again all bracketologists use no logic. In one of the halftime shows he said if Nova keeps it closes or loses by 10 he would have them in if not he said they would be out, they lose by 30 and he goes against his own statement. In the men's side some dude named Jerry Palm had Michigan last 4 out after Indiana on Thursday, then on Sunday somehow a team moves up 4 spots without playing a game? None of them know anything.
They don't know anything. But how many can pick 67 of the 68 teams in? Charlie lives in Vegas and goes regularly to (IIRC) the West Coast Conference championship. He was interviewed during the game, and he pointed out that what he is trying to do is predict what the committee will do. He was especially informative when it wasn't a pre-produced piece with the usual talking heads.

Jerry Palm was Charlie's mentor. He serves the same purpose on the men's side and has been doing it even longer. He also used to run a stat service, Charlie Creme has a real job and does this as a side gig.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Teams with loosing conference records should not be allowed in the tournament. Could there be exceptions yes. Maybe a team that is hit will a lot of injuries early in the season and gets healthy later in the season, perhaps depending on circumstance so you need to evaluate that. Having a conference get 6 or more teams in with a 500 record or loosing record imo NO. Again their could be exceptions based on injuries.
Unless the team miraculously wins the conference tournament, 100% agree. However, this year, the committee gave an at-large bid to Arkansas as a #10 seed, when its record was 18–13, 7-9, where there may have been a 2nd team from another conference that deserved to dance.

Reaction Score
They don't know anything. But how many can pick 67 of the 68 teams in? Charlie lives in Vegas and goes regularly to (IIRC) the West Coast Conference championship. He was interviewed during the game, and he pointed out that what he is trying to do is predict what the committee will do. He was especially informative when it wasn't a pre-produced piece with the usual talking heads.

Jerry Palm was Charlie's mentor. He serves the same purpose on the men's side and has been doing it even longer. He also used to run a stat service, Charlie Creme has a real job and does this as a side gig.

You are exactly right. Creme has studied how the Selection Committee picks teams. He is not predicting teams that "should" get in on merit. He is predicting what the committee will do, based on what the committee has done in the past. Getting 67/68 is pretty good.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You are exactly right. Creme has studied how the Selection Committee picks teams. He is not predicting teams that "should" get in on merit. He is predicting what the committee will do, based on what the committee has done in the past. Getting 67/68 is pretty good.
I agree he is pretty good, but given that 32 bids are automatic he is really predicting 36, and given that I don't believe there has ever been a ranked team (AP or coaches) that has not been selected and the top 25 typically includes 16-18 non AQ teams, that lowers the predictions to 18-20. And I would guess 99% of folks would drop that number to 10 correctly (roughly the 'others receiving votes in the polls') so I would give him credit for something closer to getting 9 of 10 or 90% - I might even drop it further most years. I think most knowledgeable people could get to 6-8 bubble teams each year and hit 75% of which of them make the dance.

I do think of .500 in your regular season conference games unless you win your conference AQ should be a requirement. Why reward less than average performance.

Reaction Score
well the Pac 12 and Sec definitely shut a lot of haters up last night they got their 2 in the final 4. Now it's time to see if the Big 10/ ACc/ and Big East live up

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Unless the team miraculously wins the conference tournament, 100% agree. However, this year, the committee gave an at-large bid to Arkansas as a #10 seed, when its record was 18–13, 7-9, where there may have been a 2nd team from another conference that deserved to dance.
South Dakota State should have been there instead of Arkansas.

Reaction Score
Playing games are coin flips, right?
DePaul shouldn't have gotten in after getting blown out in the Big East Tournament. When a team looks as bad as they did in a season ending tournament game. That should have taken them out of consideration.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
DePaul shouldn't have gotten in after getting blown out in the Big East Tournament. When a team looks as bad as they did in a season ending tournament game. That should have taken them out of consideration.
I thought that Marquette should have gotten in and DePaul should have gone to the WNIT. They demolished DePaul in the BE Quarterfinals and were the hotter team between the two.

Reaction Score
and now the big east only has 1, again why I wait until the elite 8 to decide.
Do you mean you wait until the final four “to decide”? The big east still had 2 in the elite 8: UConn and Creighton. Creighton just didn’t make it to the final four.

Reaction Score
Do you mean you wait until the final four “to decide”? The big east still had 2 in the elite 8: UConn and Creighton. Creighton just didn’t make it to the final four.
let me rephrase, I will wait until the elite 8 games are over to decide what conference might be or might not be overrated.

Reaction Score
let me rephrase, I will wait until the elite 8 games are over to decide what conference might be or might not be overrated.
Oh that makes sense, that’s for clarifying

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
well the Pac 12 and Sec definitely shut a lot of haters up last night they got their 2 in the final 4. Now it's time to see if the Big 10/ ACc/ and Big East live up
Nobody's saying that Stanford or South Carolina doesn't belong. And them being in the final four doesn't have any bearing on how many teams from the Pac or SEC belong. I don't care if Zeus plays in the SEC and wins the NCAA and goes on to defeat the Titans, it doesn't justify Arkansas being in the field.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom