Conference Realignment | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Conference Realignment

Reaction Score
I

UMass? They've made what 1 tournament in 20 seasons? We should work with the 12 we have and go from there

Don't look at UMASS basketball for what they are now, look at them for what they could be if we upgrade them. We saw what they could be in the 90's, that potential is still there.

Consider what the AAC conference has done for Houston, SMU, and UCF basketball, this league brings teams to life, UMASS is a flagship state university in a state with over 5 million, we should want to add them to our league before the C7 add them to their league. Adding VCU and UMASS basketball only could instantly vault us past the C7 which increases the AAC's value.

On top of all that adding those schools would give the AAC much needed ballast if and when we get poached. If the Big 12 decided to add Houston and UCF we want to be able to take the hit without having the league fall apart.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't look at UMASS basketball for what they are now, look at them for what they could be if we upgrade them. We saw what they could be in the 90's, that potential is still there.

Look at what the AAC conference has done for Houston, SMU, and UCF basketball, this league brings teams to life, UMASS would be an excellent basketball addition for the AAC, they are a flagship state university in a state with over 5 million. In addition to all that we should want to add them to our league before the C7 add them to their league. Adding VCU and UMASS basketball only could instantly vault us past the C7 permanently.

On top of all that adding those schools would give the AAC much needed ballast if and when we get poached. If the Big 12 decided to add Houston and UCF we want to be able to take the hit without having the league fall apart.
Right now, I'd prefer Buffalo. They've done a great job with their sports programs.

Reaction Score
And gives us breathing room

You want breathing room or a local rival? For basketball only I would take the local rival. There are plenty of basketball players to go around and we have the far superior brand. Plus the part of our fanbase that only follows basketball would lose their lunch if UMASS landed in the catholic league.

TJT

Reaction Score

Consider what the AAC conference has done for Houston, SMU, and UCF basketball, this league brings teams to life, UMASS is a flagship state university in a state with over 5 million, we should want to add them to our league before the C7 add them to their league. Adding VCU and UMASS basketball only could instantly vault us past the C7 permanently which increases the AAC's value.

UMass was really just good under Calipari, the only coach they ever won NCAA Tournament games under. Never been all that much since he left. People do not even follow the team any more. Averaging approximately 2,400 in the 9,300 seat Mullins Center this year with all eight games attracting in the 2k range. Could not break the 3,000 mark for a single game. Have already lost at home to Harvard, Howard, and Holy Cross and were fortuante to get by Fairleigh Dickinson by one point yesterday.

Reaction Score
UMass was really just good under Calipari, the only coach they ever won NCAA Tournament games under. Never been all that much since he left. People do not even follow the team any more. Averaging approximately 2,400 in the 9,300 seat Mullins Center this year with all eight games attracting in the 2k range. Could not break the 3,000 mark for a single game. Have already lost at home to Harvard, Howard, and Holy Cross and were fortuante to get by Fairleigh Dickinson by one point yesterday.

all true, and UCONN was terrible in basketball last year too. Basketball fortunes can turn around quickly. I value potential more than yesterday's box score. Upgrading to the American would give them new life.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
all true, and UCONN was terrible in basketball last year too. Basketball fortunes can turn around quickly. I value potential more than yesterday's box score. Upgrading to the American would give them new life.
I dont believe New England can support three P6 football teams. That's my concern.

Reaction Score
I dont believe New England can support three P6 football teams. That's my concern.

I share those concerns which is why I am looking at them as a basketball only addition for now. Maybe guarantee them three or four AAC football games per year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I share those concerns which is why I am looking at them as a basketball only addition for now. Maybe guarantee them three or four AAC football games per year.
Oh, okay - missed the basketball only idea.

Reaction Score
The conference needs to get away from the single sport or all but football sport teams. The only time you do this is in a case such as ND. IF they decide to join in football that elevates every game in the conference so it's worth the imbalance until that time for the acc. I'll even give you the aac's situation with Navy because of the pageantry. Other than that it's not worth the haphazard shoddy look. When others look at the conference it breeds confusion and takes away from any amount professionalism they may have entertained.

Reaction Score

UMass was good during the Camby years only. I lived in WMass at the time and they thought they were the next UCLA. It was a mirage built on one great player and a lot of good players with chips on their shoulders because the big boys didn't want them. Harper Williams, Jim McCoy, etc. played their guts out to prove they should have been in a better league on bigger name teams. Not sure you'll find the Camby and all those guys who were overlooked again.

Reaction Score
If UMass can make noise in the ever growingly competitive NCAA D1 hockey scene, they can rise in other sports. Just need to get rid of that Calipari banner at Mullins.

They should have joined the MAC. Was dumb they didn't.

Reaction Score
If UMass can make noise in the ever growingly competitive NCAA D1 hockey scene, they can rise in other sports. Just need to get rid of that Calipari banner at Mullins.

They should have joined the MAC. Was dumb they didn't.

You mean, of course, the banner signifying their "vacated Final Four". The banner that is not supposed to be hanging from the rafters and yet often gets shown on TV broadcasts. Funny how the NCAA hasn't penalized them when they find it so easy to nail UConn.

Reaction Score
UMass was good during the Camby years only. I lived in WMass at the time and they thought they were the next UCLA. It was a mirage built on one great player and a lot of good players with chips on their shoulders because the big boys didn't want them. Harper Williams, Jim McCoy, etc. played their guts out to prove they should have been in a better league on bigger name teams. Not sure you'll find the Camby and all those guys who were overlooked again.
Camby was probably UCONN's biggest in state recruiting miss, along with Ryan Gomes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom