Conference Award Predictions

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Pac 12:
POY: Marie Gulich, Oregon State
COY: Kelly Graves, Oregon
FOY: Satou Sabally, Oregon

Bold prediction w/ Gulich! It's gonna be pretty hard to give the POY to anyone other than Ionescu. Led the conference in scoring and assists for the team that won the league outright. Kinda hate to see the Ducks get a clean sweep, but can't think of any other Fr. that would get it and I think Graves earned COY as much as anyone else. There are certainly many good candidates for POY. All conference team will be pretty stacked.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Bold prediction w/ Gulich! It's gonna be pretty hard to give the POY to anyone other than Ionescu. Led the conference in scoring and assists for the team that won the league outright. Kinda hate to see the Ducks get a clean sweep, but can't think of any other Fr. that would get it and I think Graves earned COY as much as anyone else. There are certainly many good candidates for POY. All conference team will be pretty stacked.

Yea....
Went back and forth but i watch a lot of PAC12. Ionescu is great and she has an amazing supporting cast. However there have been games where she just disappears at time (some due to opposing defense) and i felt Gulich is the reason Oregon State is where they are in the PAC12. No one had them 3rd with what they lost and the grad transfer of Brianna Brown. I just really wanted to give my vote to a senior leader. Sabrina can have it the next 2 years.

Only other freshman in PAC12 could be Onyenwere.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Its not a team award, Wilson should win it for SEC she is #1 in three categories and like in the top 3 in all of the categories to include defensive statistics. It will be hard for Vivians to get that award given that she has had much more help and probably started way behind Wilson in the process. Heck Wilson will probably win NPOY and her stats work for it.

Team success matters for these awards though. A winner has come from the SEC champion in 12 of the last 13 years. The only year they didn’t was 2010 when Tennessee was very balanced with no obvious standout performer. Mississippi State has a major standout in Victoria Vivians, who should be a front runner for NPOY with her consistency and excellent play all season. She has more help than A’ja but why would that count against her? Her numbers are stellar and she’s been the best player on far and away the best team in the conference. Even independent from team success, i think she’s more deserving than Wilson this year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ionescu definitely slumped a little down the stretch. McPhee came on strong but I just don't think she did enough to take it away from Ionescu. Canada had a good season, as did Billings. Anigwe as I've stated in other threads was a bit of disappointment. Hebard was also excellent for OU and if you watched them consistently during the season you saw Cazorla totally take over several times when Ionescu was a bit off. Gulich was definitely outstanding for OSU.

One other freshman that could deserve some consideration is Corosdale. She was up and down but had some big games for OSU and was a starter most of the season, unlike Onyenwere. She was a big contributor for UCLA though, her future looks bright.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I liked that freshman kid Masseny Kara from UCF.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I liked that freshman kid Masseny Kara from UCF.
Kaba? Yes, she's good. Pretty much their X factor. When she plays well they are very tough.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Nobody else wanted to play the game :oops:

@DefenseBB ???
I think both Brown and Arike are very good players, I just think in the big games, Durr has performed significantly better than either of these two. Add in the fact Louisville has been a legitimate national story and my view is she wins the ACC POY. I gave my perspective in my note back to Orangutan, I didn’t realize I needed to apply directly...

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My sincerest apologies, as I really did not mean to incite you, but you did mention you could see it going another way and with Louisville winning the league, I just don't see it that way. Add in the dialogue from the game yesterday and I have a hair trigger on Arike. I just see her with tremendous talent who disappears at crucial points in games. 4th qtr vs. UConn, 1-5 fg, 3 points and this was after she started out great but with the game in the balance, she did not live up to the expectations a POY needs to. So I noted what most voters should, in the head to head Arike did not play well and Durr has been pretty great against the top teams at the time they played them-tOSU-47 pts; Oregon-26 pts; Duke-22 pts; UConn-20 pts. Durr's lone exception was FSU with 11 points.

Within the thread, I also wanted to point out to the collective group that yes, Muffet has been very good this year but it's not like she is doing this with mirrors, she is not bereft of talent. So inadvertently, you became collateral damage...sorry.

Apology accepted :)

First of all, let the record reflect that ND and Louisville shared the regular season conference title :cool:

I don't necessarily think Durr isn't deserving. Just that there's an argument for both Lexie Brown and Ogunbowale (see above blind resume post)) but I think Durr is the biggest star from a media perspective so the others have no chance.

Re anti-ND bias in the awards: in McBride's senior year, she won the coaches POY but the media chose Alyssa Thomas. Two years ago, the coaches picked Turner, but the media picked Hines-Allen. The only ND player to win the media POY is Loyd in 2015. So I definitely think the coaches' awards are friendlier to ND than the media awards. Alas, it is the media awards that are the official ones (the ones that appear in the media guide, at least).

Reaction Score
Here's mine for the top 5 + AAC:

SEC:
POY-Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State
COY-Vic Schaefer, Mississippi State
FOY-Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M

I think it'll be a shame if it goes to Wilson over Vivians. Mississippi State put together the SEC's first undefeated regular season in 20 years, and they finished 4 games ahead of South Carolina.

ACC:
POY-Asia Durr, Louisville
COY-Muffett McGraw, Notre Dame
FOY-???

No idea who are standout freshmen in this conference.

Big Ten:
POY-Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State
COY-Marlene Stollings, Minnesota
FOY-Sidney Cooks, Michigan State

Big 12:
POY-Kalani Brown, Baylor
COY-Kim Mulkey, Baylor
FOY-Alexis Morris, Baylor

I don't know enough about the other freshmen in the conference...Morris has good numbers though for Baylor

Pac 12:
POY: Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon
COY: Kelly Graves, Oregon
FOY: Satou Sabally, Oregon

AAC:
POY: Katie Lou Samuelson, Connecticut
COY: Geno Auriemma, Connecticut
FOY: ?? No idea. One of you can help me with this one.

What about the freshman from temple? Mia Davis. She’s got a good shot of ROY for the AAC

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Apology accepted :)

First of all, let the record reflect that ND and Louisville shared the regular season conference title :cool:

I don't necessarily think Durr isn't deserving. Just that there's an argument for both Lexie Brown and Ogunbowale (see above blind resume post)) but I think Durr is the biggest star from a media perspective so the others have no chance.

Re anti-ND bias in the awards: in McBride's senior year, she won the coaches POY but the media chose Alyssa Thomas. Two years ago, the coaches picked Turner, but the media picked Hines-Allen. The only ND player to win the media POY is Loyd in 2015. So I definitely think the coaches' awards are friendlier to ND than the media awards. Alas, it is the media awards that are the official ones (the ones that appear in the media guide, at least).
Thank you for accepting as I truly did only mean to point out Durr’s exploits. Now you are also astute enough to know as is Triad, that stats do not tell the whole story. In the ACC KLS is 6th in scoring and yet she will be player of the year and not Laksa or Jesperson or Harris. The other consideration is minutes per game- Lexie averages 35min, Arike 33.4 and Durr is at 30.0 so times 29 games that’s 145 min more on the floor for Ms. Brown and for Arike, that’s about 100 minutes more on the floor. Again, both are very good players and should receive AA honorable mention, Durr will probably be on the 10 team WBCA team.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Thank you for accepting as I truly did only mean to point out Durr’s exploits. Now you are also astute enough to know as is Triad, that stats do not tell the whole story. In the ACC KLS is 6th in scoring and yet she will be player of the year and not Laksa or Jesperson or Harris. The other consideration is minutes per game- Lexie averages 35min, Arike 33.4 and Durr is at 30.0 so times 29 games that’s 145 min more on the floor for Ms. Brown and for Arike, that’s about 100 minutes more on the floor. Again, both are very good players and should receive AA honorable mention, Durr will probably be on the 10 team WBCA team.

Yeah....and if Durr would have played those 100 more minutes... she would have picked up maybe 3 more assists and 2 more rebounds and steals :rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::confused::eek::D

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The other consideration is minutes per game

That's why the stats I posted were per 40 minutes.

On a per-minute basis, Durr (Player A) gets fewer rebounds, fewer assists, and fewer steals than either of the other two.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Lemme stop bad mouthing Durr.. in case she lurks on here an might be inclined to drop 60 on Duke on Saturday :oops:

We are, indeed, flying awfully close to the sun.

icarus__flying_to_the_sun_with_melting_wings__by_klazien-d8ftzye.jpg

Reaction Score
While I agree that Gulich has earned POY, it will go to Sabrina. It will be interesting to see if Gulich wins Defensive POY?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Final Awards for Pac 12 POY, Coach and Freshman tonight at 5pm PST

ALL-PAC-12 (15 members)

Name School Pos. Yr. Hometown
Kristine Anigwe *** California F Jr. Phoenix, Ariz.
Monique Billings ** UCLA F Sr. Corona, Calif.
Jordin Canada *** UCLA G Sr. Los Angeles, Calif.
Maite Cazorla Oregon G Jr. Las Palmas, Spain
Marie Gülich ** Oregon State F/C Sr. Cologne, Germany
Ruthy Hebard ** Oregon F So. Fairbanks, Alaska
Borislava Hristova Washington State F So. Varna, Bulgaria
Megan Huff Utah F Jr. Federal Way, Wash.
Kianna Ibis Arizona State F Jr. Omaha, Neb.
Sabrina Ionescu ** Oregon G So. Walnut Creek, Calif.
Kennedy Leonard ** Colorado G Jr. Southlake, Texas
Brittany McPhee ** Stanford G Sr. Normandy Park, Wash.
Amber Melgoza Washington G So. Santa Barbara, Calif.
Kristen Simon ** USC F Sr. Gardena, Calif.
Alanna Smith Stanford F Sr. Melbourne, Australia
HONORABLE MENTION (receiving at least one point): Jalea Bennett, ARIZ (Sr., G); Kennedy Burke, UCLA (Jr., G); Mikayla Cowling, CAL (Sr., G/F); Aliyah Mazyck, USC (Jr., G); Katie McWilliams, OSU (Jr., G); Mikayla Pivec, OSU (So., G); Emily Potter, UTAH (Sr., F); Robbi Ryan, ASU (So., G); Asha Thomas, CAL (Jr., G); Kat Tudor, OSU (So., G); Kiana Williams, STAN (Fr., G).

ALL-DEFENSIVE (5 members)

Name School Pos. Yr. Hometown
Monique Billings ** UCLA F Sr. Corona, Calif.
Jordin Canada *** UCLA G Sr. Los Angeles, Calif.
Marie Gülich Oregon State F/C Sr. Cologne, Germany
Aliyah Mazyck USC G Jr. Charlotte, N.C.
Minyon Moore USC G So. Hercules, Calif.
HONORABLE MENTION (receiving at least one point): Kristine Anigwe, CAL (Jr., F); Kennedy Burke, UCLA (Jr., G); Maite Cazorla, ORE (Jr., G); Mikayla Cowling, CAL (Sr., G/F); Kaylee Johnson, STAN (Sr., F); Kennedy Leonard, COLO (Jr., G); Katie McWilliams, OSU (Jr., G); Emily Potter, UTAH (Sr., F); Robbi Ryan, ASU (So., G); Marta Sniezek, STAN (Jr., G).

ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM

Name School Pos. Hometown
Michaela Onyenwere UCLA F Aurora, Colo.
Satou Sabally Oregon F Berlin, Germany
Kianna Smith California G Moreno Valley, Calif.
Sam Thomas Arizona F Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
Kiana Williams Stanford G San Antonio, Texas
HONORABLE MENTION (receiving at least one point): Kierra Collier, WASH (Fr., G); Taya Corosdale, OSU (Fr., F); Aleah Goodman, OSU (Fr., G); Annika Jank, COLO (Fr., F); Tori Williams, UTAH (Fr., G).

2017-18 Pac-12 Women’s Basketball All-Conference Teams Announced

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Glad to see Hristova and Melgoza get honored in the Pac 12. They played for bad teams but that doesn't take away from how they performed for their teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom