Concerns about recruits. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Concerns about recruits.

Reaction Score
Good post. We have ONO and if we get Prince can we move ONO to a wing? If we dont how will ONO and Prince get the same amount of time. From what Im being told ONO has come a long way in the off season. If ONO and Prince start what does that mean to the other players we have and who we are recruiting? Look at Baylor last season when Cox was injured? ND caught up quickly. It was Brown it was Cox. So much for big without a supporting cast . Bottom line is we are in great position with ONO. We will be in better position with Prince and if we dont get Prince I think we get Deberry...and Fudd. It will be great to see how it plays out. On another note Prince is going to see Oregon who has a lot of bigs and on 6'6 player and ND is rebuilding and really is a work in process. So would Prince play at Oregon? Good questions considering they have about 4 girls over 6'4 and ND is rebuilding and has no chance for a FF. So that leaves UConn. I like our chances.

In an ESPN article before ONO's freshman year her sister (Hamby) thought ONO was best suited to play the 4. I agree. She may not have feet quick enough defend on the perimeter but when you are 6'4" you can give a little more room. ONO lacks the bulk to guard ????? maybe 2 posts in the country. And yeah, both Walker & Griffin are but 6'1". It's true that if another team has a second big strong post either of them would be at a disadvantage. I like the UConn women's chances at the other end. Both can score from anywhere and I'd like to see a 6'4" big post chase them around the court.

Me, I really like the team as it stands and really really like it in 2001. If another post shows up, fine and welcome. But I lost my fascination with size when Gilmore and Burrows couldn't do it against UCLA.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
? You are undermining what I think you believe. Out of 11 championships we won 3-4 with multiple bigs. However, we won 9 with a transcendent player on the roster, including a team with a 5'11" PF and 6'3" center that beat a Tennessee team with a highly rated 6'5" center. Stewart, for example, not only won two with Dolson, she won one with the next tallest player being 6'3" and one with the next tallest being 6'2". The logical conclusion is that Stewart being transcendent was more important than having multiple bigs for those championships.
While I agree with your logical conclusion I feel compelled to point out that the current roster has neither a transcendent player nor multiple bigs. Having one or the other is manageable, having neither is precarious.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I think we all can agree that UConn's recent recruiting/transfers have been terrific but until they land that big forward and or post player it still appears to be incomplete.....when a big body or two commit I'm sure all will be sweetness and light....... :rolleyes:

It's obvious from your post count you've been around long enough to realize that when a big body does commit, there will be a chorus of "she's too slow, has no range, can't jump, can't play defense" posts. :eek:

That's part of why Tony made the post he did. Some peoples' ego is based on their ability to discern or manufacture faults in others and air them in public.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We have different concerns. Even if we have multiple bigs with Prince playing for us next year I do not think we will have a championship team. On the other hand, once Bueckers and Muhl come on board I like our chances even if ONO is the only player over 6'3". Past evidence supports players that are the greatest at making teammates better way more than it does multiple bigs.
Agree about transcendent players. Safe to say I think Williams is close to that. Bueckers seems to be that. So does Fudd. Imagine all 3 on the same team...

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Imagine "3 on the same team"...can you say Golden State Warriors? Or, Blue and White Huskies? lol :)

Reaction Score
Too many apologists here for recent recruiting misses and failures to perform up to the reputation with which the players arrived. How can we puff out our chests and swagger into arenas if we haven't won a NC in three years?
There's no denying that, in addition to the failure to sign a good big for a number of years, there have been quite a few misses on the recruiting trail. Look at Megan Walker's class. She's all that's left out of a class that also had #8, #10 and #21. Gabby and Kia's class lost #9 and #13, and #9 left Samuelson and Collier's class.
What happened? Overrated, or they weren't what we thought when we recruited them? Early bloomers? Unusual granting of waivers for transfers that benefited other teams?
So many variables, so much development of the game by Geno that overflowed into other schools due to his willingness to share with them, so many "entitled" kids that have been hyped all their lives that may not want to work as hard as Geno and Chris demand, etc.
End result? UConn fans (entitled themselves by now) that can't remember the thrill we all felt on Martin Luther King Day in 1995, or the first Final Four in 1991, or the first championship in 1995. Maybe even loss of interest among the younger generation and dying off of the older generations and the loss of traditional rivalries the past six years that has lead to reduced live attendance and with that the excitement of big crowds and thrilling games which had been the norm for 20 years.

Reaction Score
I pesonally do not know one recruit from the other. What interests me more is the recruits that Geno does actually land and become members of the Team. In watching the team, I do not see very many substitutions of the players on the team. He plays 5 to 6 players that he can count on to play his style of basketball at a very high level. This means that there are 5 or 6 players sitting on the bench that only play when the lead is so big that he feels comfortable that he can put them in the game. Then we have all heard his comments that the "bench" does not contribute enough to be worthy of his trust. So, what is wrong with this picture? 5 to 6 players are play enormous minutes during any given game. That will not fair well with Big East teams that may be more competitive. It also tells me that 5 to 6 players who sit on the bench generally all of the time do not meet the expectations of the "Man" and are not playing to the level of expectation. Why bother choosing these people in the first place. It seems like a crap shoot on who is going to excell or not. Without naming names, you all know who sits and who plays. And, in only desperate situations does a bench player come in to play which we have all seen in the past.

Is this a case of better choices? Is this a case that not enough research is being done? Is this a case where a quality player is chosen knowing full well that this player will not meet the high expectations?

When I see a young person choose another school other than UConn, which UConn has recruited, I always wonder how that person would have turned out if they elected UConn instead of the school that they have chosen. Or, on the other side, the young person asks the same question, will I sit on the bench if I cannot meet the UConn level of expectation.

It seems that only exceptional players can play exceptional basketball. Even though these players who sit have rankings that are relatively high, they do not seem to ever make the contributions that was expected. It just is not the way that UConn plays with a 5 to 6 rotation.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I pesonally do not know one recruit from the other. What interests me more is the recruits that Geno does actually land and become members of the Team. In watching the team, I do not see very many substitutions of the players on the team. He plays 5 to 6 players that he can count on to play his style of basketball at a very high level. This means that there are 5 or 6 players sitting on the bench that only play when the lead is so big that he feels comfortable that he can put them in the game. Then we have all heard his comments that the "bench" does not contribute enough to be worthy of his trust. So, what is wrong with this picture? 5 to 6 players are play enormous minutes during any given game. That will not fair well with Big East teams that may be more competitive. It also tells me that 5 to 6 players who sit on the bench generally all of the time do not meet the expectations of the "Man" and are not playing to the level of expectation. Why bother choosing these people in the first place. It seems like a crap shoot on who is going to excell or not. Without naming names, you all know who sits and who plays. And, in only desperate situations does a bench player come in to play which we have all seen in the past.
Is this a case of better choices? Is this a case that not enough research is being done? Is this a case where a quality player is chosen knowing full well that this player will not meet the high expectations?
When I see a young person choose another school other than UConn, which UConn has recruited, I always wonder how that person would have turned out if they elected UConn instead of the school that they have chosen. Or, on the other side, the young person asks the same question, will I sit on the bench if I cannot meet the UConn level of expectation.
It seems that only exceptional players can play exceptional basketball. Even though these players who sit have rankings that are relatively high, they do not seem to ever make the contributions that was expected. It just is not the way that UConn plays with a 5 to 6 rotation.
There is nothing wrong with the picture because the picture has not varied for UCONN or many of the other
highly regarded WCBB teams. What is very wrong is the american flag blue colored glasses through which we view the situation and perceive a problem. The most important ignored factor is that highly ranked kids underperform relative to HS ranking EVERY YEAR, EVERYWHERE not just at UCONN.
In the most recent national Championship game Baylor had 3 (Egbo, Scott-Grayson, & DeAcosta) McDonald's All-American players that did not get off the bench. ND had two Gilbert (injured?) and Nixon.
The fault is not with UCONN because the standards have not changed. These players are making recruiting decisions with eyes wide open. I have yet to hear of a player coming to UCONN without being offer a scholarship. They think they can play at UCONN, the staff thinks they can play and they are given an opportunity to play. That some don't live up to the expectations is not exactly a new phenomenon.
Geno plays the players that can positively impact the game. Please don't box him in like that by saying he only plays 5 or 6 players. Geno's last championship team went 8 deep.

Reaction Score
There is nothing wrong with the picture because the picture has not varied for UCONN or many of the other
highly regarded WCBB teams. What is very wrong is the american flag blue colored glasses through which we view the situation and perceive a problem. The most important ignored factor is that highly ranked kids underperform relative to HS ranking EVERY YEAR, EVERYWHERE not just at UCONN.
In the most recent national Championship game Baylor had 3 (Egbo, Scott-Grayson, & DeAcosta) McDonald's All-American players that did not get off the bench. ND had two Gilbert (injured?) and Nixon.
The fault is not with UCONN because the standards have not changed. These players are making recruiting decisions with eyes wide open. I have yet to hear of a player coming to UCONN without being offer a scholarship. They think they can play at UCONN, the staff thinks they can play and they are given an opportunity to play. That some don't live up to the expectations is not exactly a new phenomenon.
Geno plays the players that can positively impact the game. Please don't box him in like that by saying he only plays 5 or 6 players. Geno's last championship team went 8 deep.
Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with you. The 5 or 6 who don't play are deadwood in my opinion. The 5 or 6 that do play are the ones who are trusted and depended upon to get the job done. This is no different in any other business or military environment. We all know who the best of the best are and we choose those people for the special missions that need to be addressed with precision, competence, and excellence. The rest of the "folks" are needed for more general application. If I were to put this in military terms, there are no equals to the Navy Seals.

When someone on the UConn bench transfers, they can become a starter and a big contributer to someone else's basketball program. But that is what makes UConn's women's basketball program excellent.

Reaction Score
Agree ...we have lost the NC the last three years to teams with better post players...like the saying goes you can’t teach 6’6” no matter how good you coach....just a footnote Stewie was not just a 6-4 player , she was the best player in the country ...
Stewie's length made her play like a 6'7" or taller player who had the speed and mobility of an appreciably smaller player .....

Reaction Score
Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with you. The 5 or 6 who don't play are deadwood in my opinion. The 5 or 6 that do play are the ones who are trusted and depended upon to get the job done. This is no different in any other business or military environment. We all know who the best of the best are and we choose those people for the special missions that need to be addressed with precision, competence, and excellence. The rest of the "folks" are needed for more general application. If I were to put this in military terms, there are no equals to the Navy Seals.

When someone on the UConn bench transfers, they can become a starter and a big contributer to someone else's basketball program. But that is what makes UConn's women's basketball program excellent.
I think the term "deadwood" is pretty harsh .... I understand your point but that term devalues the girls and the amount of effort they are capable of contributing

Reaction Score
I think the term "deadwood" is pretty harsh .... I understand your point but that term devalues the girls and the amount of effort they are capable of contributing

Yeah, you are right, this word is pretty harsh. I should have defined their performance as less than the standards that Geno accepts for a starting player. Yet at the same time, these players would be starters in someone else's program. Yes deadwood is not good. But I usually speak plain and to the point.

Reaction Score
Yeah, you are right, this word is pretty harsh. I should have defined their performance as less than the standards that Geno accepts for a starting player. Yet at the same time, these players would be starters in someone else's program. Yes deadwood is not good. But I usually speak plain and to the point.

Recall that Gabby was “deadwood” as a freshman. Now her jersey is on the wall. You paint with much too broad a brush.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In addition to our disagreement about UCONN WBB we also have a sharp difference of opinion on military environments. Navy Seals and our other special operations forces are very important but no more important than those "general application" soldiers, airmen, marines, and sailors with whom I've had the privilege to serve. Thank you for your service.

Reaction Score
In addition to our disagreement about UCONN WBB we also have a sharp difference of opinion on military environments. Navy Seals and our other special operations forces are very important but no more important than those "general application" soldiers, airmen, marines, and sailors with whom I've had the privilege to serve. Thank you for your service.
Look, you are right, everything is important but some things are more important than others. And, just like in College basketball, there are Elite groups in the military as well. After 23 years in the Marine Corps, your thanks would have been more appreciated when I came home from Viet Nam after two consecutive years in country, and got spit on, called baby killer and a target for thrown drinks in downtown San Francisco going for my first meal in the good ole USA after 2 years.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Recall that Gabby was “deadwood” as a freshman. Now her jersey is on the wall. You paint with much too broad a brush.

I get your overarching point, but Gabby was pretty frickin good as a frosh. Her talent was pretty evident.

Reaction Score

I have to admit I missed the point of your post. For example, I expected Camara to be a contributor but in her career she has been hurt. If Stevens stays we maybe go 7 deep this past year? When you have Stewart and Tuck-- what other high quality big is going to want to come? In terms of Camara - the year she announced, and 1 year after, unless you are elite - you can still be worried she'll play and you won't.

Do you know for certain this year she is "done," too? As for others starting on other teams-- it has always been that way, hasn't it? Even for other elite teams - when a player transfers- they go to a school where they will probably start. So it's a crap shoot for other elite teams, isn't it? And in other cases the elite teams use a bench because they don't have as many stars.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I ran across this article and wanted to share. This was the best place I could find to post it. I didn't want to start a new thread just for this article alone, but it has to to with recruiting and UConn's involvement in it.

Dawn Staley struck recruiting gold for the class of 2019. What does 2020 look like?

Staley is upping her game. She knew she could handle to X's and the O's, and could coach her teams deep into the post season. She also knew that recruiting was not her strong suit. So she hired someone that was was one of the most successful and proven recruiters in the country. Enter Jolette Law (center).

South Carolina head women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley with assistant coaches, Jolett Law and Lisa Boyer during a practice.

Jolette Law is an assistant coach for the South Carolina Gamecocks Women's Basketball team. She was previously a Tennessee Lady Volunteers basketball assistant for 5 years, and before that, the Illinois Fighting Illini women's basketball head coach in addition to being a Harlem Globetrotter from 1991–1994. Wikipedia

Much of the Gamecock's recent success in recruiting can be directly linked to Law. She is a master recruiter, and doesn't appear to have a problem recruiting BIGS. South Carolina and UConn recruit the same players. We lost a highly coveted post player to them recently, Aliyah Boston.

Couple this with the proven recent success that other other recruiters from the elite programs have had such as Niele Ivey (Notre Dame), and Samantha Williams and now Jonneshia Pineda (Louisville), and of course there's Kim Mulkey (Baylor) and Brenda Frese at Maryland. Mark Campbell spearheads recruiting at Oregon.
Vic Schaefer is a tireless recruiter at Mississippi State, and now is able to attract top 25 recruits since becoming a top 5 program. We know that All of these programs vie for the same recruits. Each lead recruiter looking to put a notch on their belt by securing that "special" BIG name top 5 recruit, or the top rated class every year.

SC is not going away anytime soon, and will continue to be an elite program that UConn will have to contend with in recruiting the elite players coming out of high school every year. Law's recent success speaks for itself. She was brought in specifically to be the recruiting coordinator. The Gamecocks have the #1 recruiting class for 2019. Staley has already shown that SC is more than willing to accept transfers from other programs (Allisha Gray, Kaela Davis, T'ea Cooper, etc.). I think it's fair to say that Dawn plans on the Gamecocks being in the conversation about winning national championships EVERY year for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I ran across this article and wanted to share. This was the best place I could find to post it. I didn't want to start a new thread just for this article alone, but it has to to with recruiting and UConn's involvement in it.

Dawn Staley struck recruiting gold for the class of 2019. What does 2020 look like?

Staley is upping her game. She knew she could handle to X's and the O's, and could coach her teams deep into the post season. She also knew that recruiting was not her strong suit. So she hired someone that was was one of the most successful and proven recruiters in the country. Enter Jolette Law (center).

View attachment 44780
South Carolina head women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley with assistant coaches, Jolett Law and Lisa Boyer during a practice.

Jolette Law is an assistant coach for the South Carolina Gamecocks Women's Basketball team. She was previously a Tennessee Lady Volunteers basketball assistant for 5 years, and before that, the Illinois Fighting Illini women's basketball head coach in addition to being a Harlem Globetrotter from 1991–1994. Wikipedia

Much of the Gamecock's recent success in recruiting can be directly linked to Law. She is a master recruiter, and doesn't appear to have a problem recruiting BIGS. South Carolina and UConn recruit the same players. We lost a highly coveted post player to them recently, Aliyah Boston.
SC is not going away anytime soon. Note Dame, Baylor, Oregon, Mississippi State, Stanford, Louisville, Maryland and South Carolina will continue to be elite programs that UConn will have to contend with in recruiting the elite players coming out of high school every year. Law's recent success speaks for itself. She was brought in specifically to be the recruiting coordinator. The Gamecocks have the #1 recruiting class for 2019. I think it's fair to say that Dawn plans on the Gamecocks being in the conversation about winning the national championship EVERY year.
Two thoughts regarding the article both very complementary of Dawn in her ability to recognize a weakness and get meaningful help.
1) South Carolina was a very late addition to Christyn recruiting list and many people thought that was out of respect to Jolette Law who had been hired a few months earlier. SC was also among ONO's final recruiting visits. Image SC with either ONO or Christyn to pair along with the 2019 recruiting class above and that would have been positively scary for WCBB in general and UCONN specifically.
2) Dawn Staley was quoted as saying that SC had developed a championship caliber defense but the offense had a ways to go prior to the 2017 Championship season. When Melanie Balcomb became available Dawn pounced and utilized her as an offense guru for that Championship season. Don't think Balcomb has been involved in coaching/consulting since.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have to admit I missed the point of your post. For example, I expected Camara to be a contributor but in her career she has been hurt. If Stevens stays we maybe go 7 deep this past year? When you have Stewart and Tuck-- what other high quality big is going to want to come? In terms of Camara - the year she announced, and 1 year after, unless you are elite - you can still be worried she'll play and you won't.

Do you know for certain this year she is "done," too? As for others starting on other teams-- it has always been that way, hasn't it? Even for other elite teams - when a player transfers- they go to a school where they will probably start. So it's a crap shoot for other elite teams, isn't it? And in other cases the elite teams use a bench because they don't have as many stars.

I think if Stevens stays, we're now thinking about #13, because #12 is in the trophy case at the Werth Family Basketball Champions Center. I hope that Camara draws inspiration from, and aspires to follow in the footsteps of Saniya Chong, who waited until her final year of eligibility to fully blossom.

If Camara is ever going to "blossom", she could not have picked a better time than NOW!!! Elvis Presly said it best 59 years ago......................"It's NOW or never" (tomorrow will be too late). :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Look, you are right, everything is important but some things are more important than others. And, just like in College basketball, there are Elite groups in the military as well. After 23 years in the Marine Corps, your thanks would have been more appreciated when I came home from Viet Nam after two consecutive years in country, and got spit on, called baby killer and a target for thrown drinks in downtown San Francisco going for my first meal in the good ole USA after 2 years.
Sorry you had to endure that. Good thing you were strong enough.

Reaction Score

Having a bench not only has in game benefits but practice advantages as well. While unlikely to have all the benefits of an All American (and I know Geno brings in male practice players), having a "Big" that can practice helps the team in many other ways.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom