Concerns about recruits. | The Boneyard

Concerns about recruits.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Why are so many posters so concerned about who gets what recruits? We get more top players then any other school. We are UConn. Everybody in WCBB knows the name UConn. Its the model for success. Its legendary. Kids dont have to be convinced of anything when it comes to UConn. They know what UConn means.

There are a few teams that pop up with good seasons, there are a few teams that are in the top 5 that have good seasons. There are none that have the sustainability at the top like UConn has had. Stop worrying. If UConn doesnt get a recruit then there is a reason and it could be a variety of reasons. We have CW number 1 HS, Megan number 1 HS, Westbrook number 2 HS, CD number 1 HS, Paige coming in number 1 HS, ONO top 5 HS. We've got 2 top European players coming. What the heck do you want? Its tuff to crack UConns lineup but it will not be tuff in the future to get alot of playtime. Ive chatted with HS and AAU coaches and kids today want to play or now because the have the portal, they will play or will be able to transfer so they will see more playtime. Remember this. Those teams with all those top players can only play 5 at a time. Those teams with multiple bigs can only play 5 at a time. That means many of those top players will sit. Some will not see much playtime. What do you think they will do it theyre not playing???

It takes a special type kid to play at UConn. By that I mean a kid who is willing to pay a huge price, in advance with no guarantees. A guarantee is a free ride to play
. You see imo when your handed something for free you dont have the same work ethic as you do when you have to compete for it. For example.. The other day I had a golf lesson. I hit 4 buckets of those big green baskets. The 2 pros working with me said after do you know there are between 230 and 250 balls in each of those baskets . Your gonna kill yourself. Arent you tired. I said yes but I have to hit as many as it takes until I cant get it wrong. It has to become reflexive so that when I get on the golf course I dont have to think about it. I wont have any fears. I will be confident. In golf nothing is free. The same goes for BB or any sport. It takes alot of practice, coaching and work. If you dont have the right coaching and keep practicing the wrong things you will never get better instead you will only make the wrong things your practicing reflexive.

When other teams get a top player and we dont congratulate them. So you really think they can beat UConn with one or two top players. Look at our record over the past few seasons. Yeah we are pretty good. With our incoming lineup and with the kids who have committed for the future we are in really good shape. Just the name UConn is intimidating. When you look at the games we've lost its been foul trouble on a team that doesnt foul????? Most of the time. I dont think we have too much to worry about over the next 3-7 years except injuries. I can only imagine if we get Fudd and Deberry how everybody on this board will feel

We're going to the Top, the very top

Reaction Score
Why are so many posters so concerned about who gets what recruits? We get more top players then any other school. We are UConn. Everybody in WCBB knows the name UConn. Its the model for success. Its legendary. Kids dont have to be convinced of anything when it comes to UConn. They know what UConn means.

There are a few teams that pop up with good seasons, there are a few teams that are in the top 5 that have good seasons. There are none that have the sustainability at the top like UConn has had. Stop worrying. If UConn doesnt get a recruit then there is a reason and it could be a variety of reasons. We have CW number 1 HS, Megan number 1 HS, Westbrook number 2 HS, CD number 1 HS, Paige coming in number 1 HS, ONO top 5 HS. We've got 2 top European players coming. What the heck do you want? Its tuff to crack UConns lineup but it will not be tuff in the future to get alot of playtime. Ive chatted with HS and AAU coaches and kids today want to play or now because the have the portal, they will play or will be able to transfer so they will see more playtime. Remember this. Those teams with all those top players can only play 5 at a time. Those teams with multiple bigs can only play 5 at a time. That means many of those top players will sit. Some will not see much playtime. What do you think they will do it theyre not playing???

It takes a special type kid to play at UConn. By that I mean a kid who is willing to pay a huge price, in advance with no guarantees. A guarantee is a free ride to play
. You see imo when your handed something for free you dont have the same work ethic as you do when you have to compete for it. For example.. The other day I had a golf lesson. I hit 4 buckets of those big green baskets. The 2 pros working with me said after do you know there are between 230 and 250 balls in each of those baskets . Your gonna kill yourself. Arent you tired. I said yes but I have to hit as many as it takes until I cant get it wrong. It has to become reflexive so that when I get on the golf course I dont have to think about it. I wont have any fears. I will be confident. In golf nothing is free. The same goes for BB or any sport. It takes alot of practice, coaching and work. If you dont have the right coaching and keep practicing the wrong things you will never get better instead you will only make the wrong things your practicing reflexive.

When other teams get a top player and we dont congratulate them. So you really think they can beat UConn with one or two top players. Look at our record over the past few seasons. Yeah we are pretty good. With our incoming lineup and with the kids who have committed for the future we are in really good shape. Just the name UConn is intimidating. When you look at the games we've lost its been foul trouble on a team that doesnt foul????? Most of the time. I dont think we have too much to worry about over the next 3-7 years except injuries. I can only imagine if we get Fudd and Deberry how everybody on this board will feel

Thank you for this post! People on here always ask for recruits...when they commit people try to tear them apart. I guess damned if you do; damned if you don’t! I’m very satisfied with what’s going on here.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony...I don't worry about recruits, nor follow the HS and club ball activity of the young uns...
Geno always (usually) gets fine players ...there's quite a few of them these days and we don't get all of them...and there's a bunch of good programs as well

But the style and substance of UConn's game is unique and that is what brings me back year after year.

Reaction Score
I think we all can agree that UConn's recent recruiting/transfers have been terrific but until they land that big forward and or post player it still appears to be incomplete....................when a big body or two commit I'm sure all will be sweetness and light................. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

The Board does have a bunch of naysayers and chicken littles. They want to micro-manage everything, but not in a positive way. Best advice.....ignore it. It will be what it will be and Geno has a handle on things.

Reaction Score

You make some very good points, and I think your type of reassurance and pulse check are always a good thing for a lot of us.... certainly the bar of expectation for UConn is at almost unbearable levels for the program, players and fans alike.. However, I think you will admit that the WCBB has vastly changed in the past five years, and the separation between UConn and the rest of the pack is not what it used to be, I think everyone would agree with that. I would say the gap has been closed mostly by recruitment--Kim at Baylor, Dawn at South Carolina and programs like Oregon realize that because of basketball's dimension of verticality, a good, solid 4 or 5, mostly trumps an excellent back court. We saw that play itself out last year with our excellent position players in the backcourt and wing--for the most part imminently better stars than what Baylor and ND had, however they had height. UConn has got to do a better job of recruiting 4s and 5s. All that you say is quite true, UConn is preeminent in WCBB, so why does the UConn depth and bench look like it does? The lack of depth and height? There was nothing there the last few years... For many of our fans out here, they are seeing what Baylor, Oregon and ND are doing, and with their gap analysis they are seeing that these programs are right on UConn's heels. Is it paranoia? Perhaps so, but as Steve Jobs used to call it: it's healthy paranoia that the top dog and leader of an industry ought to have in regards to its competitors. Otherwise, that top dog might unduly and tragically mistake tradition for stagnation.... So again, thank you for allowing us to come up for a bit of refreshing air, but please know that our paranoia is quite healthy ")

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Why are so many posters so concerned about who gets what recruits?
Because it affects a team's future performance more than any other tangible thing fans can pay attention to. Wonder why the draft is so hyped every year or why the entire front page of ESPN has been NBA trades for the past 48 hours? Because it makes a freakin' difference who's wearing which jerseys, and that process is way more transparent and visible than every other aspect of coaching and player development.

If you're a casual fan, sure, show up or turn on the TV and you can still enjoy the game. But for the rabid fans, which I think constitutes almost anyone who finds their way to this board, following recruits is more interesting, more satisfying, and more tangible than paying attention to whether KLS has gotten marginally better at boxing out on defense between her junior and seniors years or whether Pheesa's 3-pt shot has more arch to it. All these things matter, but recruiting is one of the few fans can follow very transparently.

And, as a Huskies admirer but a Stanford fan, recruiting battles are one of the main ways all of us fans can be involved in a collective conversation we care about. I truly don't care about whether AEH ultimately develops the grit Geno didn't think she had in her, but I did care where she was going to transfer, as it had domino effects for MSU's other recruits, and for those recruits' intentions vis-a-vis other schools, and those schools' other recruits, etc. When a Paige Bueckers type declares for UConn it resonates across many other recruits' choices and therefore future teams' lineups, prospects, etc.

So I say, fan on!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Well said.

Reaction Score
When you find your answers to your questions maybe you can help me understand why there are 5 pages of discussion for a recruit (Angel Reese) that does NOT have UCONN on her list?!?!?!

Moooooooooooooove on people!

Reaction Score

@Tonyc. Most of what you say above has the ring of truth to it. Uconn has over the past 35 years gotten more than a fair share of top top talent Uconn has them and "THEY" don't. Thats has been true through the ages right up to this year as you pointed out.
I'm not obsessed over Prince but 6ft 7's don't come along like old time trolley cars. If I could catch one or two in downtown Waterbury I'd say Prince isn't a big deal. But her size is. If the kid can play, and if Geno accepts her she can, she's a plus for the next few years just by her size.
Other than that I can take any or leave any. ND and Tenn, Louisville, even Rutgers has had some terrific players but there were few I would have traded for. Novesel, Mallory, Peters, Prince, Parker, Ochonwa, etc in my mind all great kids/player I wouldn't trade: Turner, Hunter, Willnet, Maria, Rene, and 10

Reaction Score
The Board does have a bunch of naysayers and chicken littles. They want to micro-manage everything, but not in a positive way. Best advice.....ignore it. It will be what it will be and Geno has a handle on things.
Naysayers, Chicken littles. --Some, but in the minority. The Mod and Admin know fans come in all phases/sizes/arrogance and each has an opinion, maybe not mine or yours but all (with respect) should have their opinions posted. If I don't like them I won't read that poster or I hit the Ignore button. I like to think the By is like my old America free to voice my opinion without fear of being jailed or banned (within reason of course).

Reaction Score
I think we all can agree that UConn's recent recruiting/transfers have been terrific but until they land that big forward and or post player it still appears to be incomplete.....when a big body or two commit I'm sure all will be sweetness and light....... :rolleyes:
Most of us have known for 4 or more years the one key ingredient for the UC team was an effective big (Meyers-a post). ONO with training and more experience will do wonders in that area. Who will back her up. No one of her size but if Touly is healthy or Evelyn gains Div 1 Experience the world stage could open up.. I too would feel more comfortable with another player with size--but as much as I shouted about BIGS last November and the one before. 2 FF's isn't chicken soup.. I dont need an NC every year, that gets to be a bore and soon no one will be watching WCBB only a few diehard Uconn fans..

Reaction Score
Thank you for this post! People on here always ask for recruits...when they commit people try to tear them apart. I guess damned if you do; damned if you don’t! I’m very satisfied with what’s going on here.
I agree! Whose available, who is coming, who gave a verbal---it's like Christmas and these are the packages. We shake them, rattle them, inspect them with wonder and excitement. I get more joy out of some of those Recruits that Uconn gets than anything Santa brought to me. Like CW, Megan, Ono, Danger, Aubrey, Ania, Westbrook, Evelyn, etc--gifts that keep on giving. Christmas EVERY GAME.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score

But, don't we need a couple of "bigs"???? (they posted sarcastically)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
But, don't we need a couple of "bigs"???? (they posted sarcastically)
Good post. We have ONO and if we get Prince can we move ONO to a wing? If we dont how will ONO and Prince get the same amount of time. From what Im being told ONO has come a long way in the off season. If ONO and Prince start what does that mean to the other players we have and who we are recruiting? Look at Baylor last season when Cox was injured? ND caught up quickly. It was Brown it was Cox. So much for big without a supporting cast . Bottom line is we are in great position with ONO. We will be in better position with Prince and if we dont get Prince I think we get Deberry...and Fudd. It will be great to see how it plays out. On another note Prince is going to see Oregon who has alot of bigs and on 6'6 player and ND is rebuilding and really is a work in process. So would Prince play at Oregon? Good questions considering they have about 4 girls over 6'4 and ND is rebuilding and has no chance for a FF. So that leaves UConn. I like our chances.

Reaction Score
The saying, "PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT" is a LIE! It should read, PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!"
And that's what Geno and staff wants to give all the girls on the team!

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Good post. We have ONO and if we get Prince can we move ONO to a wing? If we dont how will ONO and Prince get the same amount of time. From what Im being told ONO has come a long way in the off season. If ONO and Prince start what does that mean to the other players we have and who we are recruiting? Look at Baylor last season when Cox was injured? ND caught up quickly. It was Brown it was Cox. So much for big without a supporting cast . Bottom line is we are in great position with ONO. We will be in better position with Prince and if we dont get Prince I think we get Deberry...and Fudd. It will be great to see how it plays out. On another note Prince is going to see Oregon who has alot of bigs and on 6'6 player and ND is rebuilding and really is a work in process. So would Prince play at Oregon? Good questions considering they have about 4 girls over 6'4 and ND is rebuilding and has no chance for a FF. So that leaves UConn. I like our chances.

I like your positive view. It's more comfortable than...

Adebayo transfers to UConn. But we need bigs!

Geno flies to Croatia, recruits Mühl.
But, but, but... we need bigs!

Makurat commits to UConn. Bigs! We really need bigs.

#1 Bueckers chooses Huskies!
Yeah? So! We still need bigs.

Griffen and Miraculous, underrated stars to UConn. We need bigs!

Ono, a big, poised for sophomore leap. But I want to play my broken record. Waaaaa!

PS- We need bigs! We really, really need bigs. The sky is falling. We are all doomed. DOOMED, I tell yuh!

:p

I'm an optimistic Maine curmudgeon. We take an oath to remember that
"The cracked glass is always half full. That's the bigger half."

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
While I think there has been a change in approach to recruiting, a change brought about by unforeseen and unwanted events, I also agree that fans extrapolate too much from whatever is happening in the present. Some points to consider:

We seldom had more than one regular that was 6'4" or taller on the teams. Two of those years were recent, with Stewart and Dolson, which perhaps skews perception a little bit. For the other two years when that occurred you would have to go back to when Lobo and Wolters overlappped, and they only won a championship one out of those two years. Perhaps you can count Sauer and Schumacher as well, but Sauer was not a huge contributor once Schumacher came on board. Three out of eleven championships, perhaps a fourth at best, were with multiple bigs as people seem to consider them on here. I doubt there were many championships in total that were won with multiple regulars that were 6'4" or taller. One data point of Baylor's recent championship does not constitute a trend.

For many years posters have lamented on how WCBB has caught up to UConn in recruiting. Up until the past few years Duke routinely had as many or more McD AAs as UConn, though recruits seemed to have finally wised up with that. Tennessee continued to recruit just as well as us until recently. Others have been in the ballpark for quite awhile, sometimes matching us, sometimes not. Notre Dame, Stanford and Baylor fall into that category. WCBB has not just caught up in recruiting, that happened long ago, ever since we were the ones to catch up to Tennessee. You could argue that, while Duke or other schools had more McD AAs, we had more of the very best, more number ones than anyone else, but that is still true even with the current roster.

Finally, recent misses were not our first nor our biggest "fail" on recruiting. That would be the entire three recruit class that left us. While that was part of some "dark years" for UConn, we could not even advance out of the Regionals for three straight years (the horror!), the ship was righted and have advanced to the FF ever since.

Once again, I do think it is fair to say that we had recent misses in recruiting and Auriemma reacted to recent misses with a change in recruiting philosophy. He may continue with that change or it may be temporary. Yet misses happen to all recruiters, including Auriemma in the past. We should not extrapolate too much from what happens in the present, though I know that is inevitable with fans.

Reaction Score
While I think there has been a change in approach to recruiting, a change brought about by unforeseen and unwanted events, I also agree that fans extrapolate too much from whatever is happening in the present. Some points to consider:

We seldom had more than one regular that was 6'4" or taller on the teams. Two of those years were recent, with Stewart and Dolson, which perhaps skews perception a little bit. For the other two years when that occurred you would have to go back to when Lobo and Wolters overlappped, and they only won a championship one out of those two years. Perhaps you can count Sauer and Schumacher as well, but Sauer was not a huge contributor once Schumacher came on board. Three out of eleven championships, perhaps a fourth at best, were with multiple bigs as people seem to consider them on here. I doubt there were many championships in total that were won with multiple regulars that were 6'4" or taller. One data point of Baylor's recent championship does not constitute a trend

the concern about height or UConn's current lack of it comes from the fact that many of UConn's competitors for an NC do have a serious height advantage this year and next .................while I'm a big believer in ONO's abilities, having a second talented post or at least a big power forward who could pick up some of the slack would be a major cause for celebration............................

Reaction Score
the concern about height or UConn's current lack of it comes from the fact that many of UConn's competitors for an NC do have a serious height advantage this year and next .......while I'm a big believer in ONO's abilities, having a second talented post or at least a big power forward who could pick up some of the slack would be a major cause for celebration........
Agree ...we have lost the NC the last three years to teams with better post players...like the saying goes you can’t teach 6’6” no matter how good you coach....just a footnote Stewie was not just a 6-4 player , she was the best player in the country ...

Reaction Score
Agree ...we have lost the NC the last three years to teams with better post players...like the saying goes you can’t teach 6’6” no matter how good you coach....just a footnote Stewie was not just a 6-4 player , she was the best player in the country ...

I'm confident ONO will become an even more effective rim protector (she's already pretty darn good) but having just one post and five fouls is not a great recipe for an NC with all of the other multiple bigs out there these days..............

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
? You are undermining what I think you believe. Out of 11 championships we won 3-4 with multiple bigs. However, we won 9 with a transcendent player on the roster, including a team with a 5'11" PF and 6'3" center that beat a Tennessee team with a highly rated 6'5" center. Stewart, for example, not only won two with Dolson, she won one with the next tallest player being 6'3" and one with the next tallest being 6'2". The logical conclusion is that Stewart being transcendent was more important than having multiple bigs for those championships.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
the concern about height or UConn's current lack of it comes from the fact that many of UConn's competitors for an NC do have a serious height advantage this year and next .......while I'm a big believer in ONO's abilities, having a second talented post or at least a big power forward who could pick up some of the slack would be a major cause for celebration........
We have different concerns. Even if we have multiple bigs with Prince playing for us next year I do not think we will have a championship team. On the other hand, once Bueckers and Muhl come on board I like our chances even if ONO is the only player over 6'3". Past evidence supports players that are the greatest at making teammates better way more than it does multiple bigs.

Reaction Score
She also was not just the best player in the country, but because of her athleticism and arm length she played much taller than 6'4". Remember she could dunk with ease in high school. All these factors remain evident in how well she plays defensively in the WNBA.

While it is possible for teams to get by with a shorter line up both height and depth-wise. it certainly diminishes the wiggle room a team has during a NCAA playoff run. The Timing factor- which is catching a good team on the day when your starters are not hitting their shots or playing their best will hurt you. Also catching a difficult matchup such as last season playing a team that had a significant size advantage like Baylor also will require the teams A-game to compensate for that matchup liability. These are the type of factors at play that we used to see in the men's NCAA's all the time that produced upsets.

Those sort of factors are becoming much more commonplace in WCBB today. Four different teams in the last four years won the WCBB championship. Whereas from 2009 to 2016 Uconn won six times in 8 years. The years preceding those were not much different. The days of one or a few teams totally dominating for so many years seems to be a thing of the past.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the 'recruiting/drafting/trades/transfers' aspect of all sports have become way overblown by the need for year around sports talk 'filler'. In basketball because team size is so small comparatively to other team sports it is certainly is more immediately seen and the results can be more dramatic in their impact. Stewart can directly lead to 4 NCs and then a WNBA title as Maya led to two and three and DT led to 3 and 3. But that was not in a vacuum, and the surrounding pieces had to be pulled together and the coaching had to align, and the bounce of the ball had to go right.

For Uconn and the fan base, the Stewart/Moriah/Tuck class and the people on the team when they arrived and the additions in the following three years were a mixed blessing because they created entitlement and unreal expectations that a few FF later without NCs have create disappointment rather than joy that most programs would experience with such continued excellence. And that feeds the angst when ...

Various hoped for recruits have failed to materialize. People start looking at team make-up and finding holes in the recruits that do commit and the hoped for ones that go elsewhere. The obvious hole in the team is a truly dominant center - the realization that we haven't had that 'center' since Dolson three NCs ago gets lost in the miracle that was Stewie.

There are not a lot of HS kids Geno actually wants to coach and they are not either defined by being 'top 10' or limited by that designation. Of those players only a very small percentage are taller than 6'2" and all players over 6'2" are coveted by about 350 other coaches of D1 programs - they have the choice where they will play and we have been in a bit of a geographic anomaly in that most of the better 6'2"+ players over the last 10 years are from anywhere other than the NE. When we got Tina, Rutgers got Kia Vaugn from NYC, Dolson was from the Hudson Valley, Stewart was from Upstate, Wolters and Lobo from MA. It is difficult to draw people from TX and Florida, and the west coast to the NE and the NE has had a hiatus from producing their own talent. Even Boston was a transplant to NE from the USVI. To think that Geno can manufacture post players is a dream of the rabid fan - that he doesn't covet them is to think he is lacking in intelligence. To be unhappy that the team doesn't have more is understandable, but to bemoan it continuously to the detriment of enjoying those players we do have is to live in some fantasy land. And to think having height is a solution to the next NC ignores that the last height we had in Stevens didn't actually produce. Stevens didn't want to be a post and she still isn't one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom