Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yes, the foobaw coaches should be consulted on long term decisions handled on the presidential level.

Reaction Score
Yes, the foobaw coaches should be consulted on long term decisions handled on the presidential level.
Not suggesting they are, but letting Texas politicians influence a situation where Houston basically adds nothing to the conference maybe equally as short sighted.

Reaction Score
How is it clear we are doing all possible? C'mon. AND Wharton is full of beans too spewing stuff anyone can write based on what's out there. How is what they are doing now (Suzy and Benedict) which is what, tight lipped, and what Suzy and Warde did when Louisville ate our lunch? (Again tight lipped do nothing ). Saying we are doing things behind closed doors and stating all these muckety mucks are advocating, and no evidence or leaks?
Hope so, but highly suspect.

Maybe @Alum86 has a good point: i didn't see this posted anywhere else and seems appropriate here. Memphis sends ribs to TT and Cinci has Kasich pushing (already known). Seems a little hokey to send ribs but little things like this probably don't hurt their chances. I have always felt Suzy & Co. have been doing everything possible but maybe more could be done. Maybe we are but its behind the scenes. Maybe Suzy is sending lobsters and butter.

Memphis, seeking spot in Big 12 expansion, sends tasty appeal to Texas Tech

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Maybe @Alum86 has a good point: i didn't see this posted anywhere else and seems appropriate here. Memphis sends ribs to TT and Cinci has Kasich pushing (already known). Seems a little hokey to send ribs but little things like this probably don't hurt their chances. I have always felt Suzy & Co. have been doing everything possible but maybe more could be done. Maybe we are but its behind the scenes. Maybe Suzy is sending lobsters and butter.

Memphis, seeking spot in Big 12 expansion, sends tasty appeal to Texas Tech

We are doing things behind the scenes. As an example, I know Suzy attended a meeting with the B12 folks a couple of months back, from a credible inside source. However, the President of UH, Renu Khator, has been sitting in on B12 meetings for many months, at their invitation. She's a very sharp lady and is extremely popular with the UH alumni and fanbase. Whether or not that gives UH a leg up over us I don't know.

Whatever things we're doing beyond the scope of FOIA requests is one thing, however this is the exact same approach that didn't get us into the ACC.

We're in the era of instant online news and social media saturation. It's the 21st century and that's our current reality. News clips, sound bites, and every scrap of info on any topic is immediately disseminated in many different ways on the internet. That's what's happening with this entire B12 expansion story. Every time the media extracts a piece of information about any attempts made by all the candidate schools it gets made part of a new story, or its the subject matter of a new story. That's news, even though manufactured, but it supplies content for newspapers, blogs, fan message sites, etc. It gets everybody talking about the particular schools involved.

Right now, rightly or wrongly, there just isn't much of any buzz out there about UConn because there aren't daily stories being written about the latest letters or documents uncovered by a FOIA media request. We seem to be taking a 19th century approach in a 21st century social media world. Maybe Suzy wouldn't be influenced by ham handed attempts to curry favor like receiving BBQ ribs from Memphis if she were a B12 president right now making these decisions. Maybe she's applying her own set of values in not wanting to engage in any tawdry, transparent attempts to turn the entire process into nothing but being another game show contestant. Or maybe she's privately sending them gifts, who knows.

The point is every other school in this process appears to be playing this game differently than UConn is. Their approach worked for Louisville the last time. If it works for them again this time at our expense, our administration will have an awful lot to answer for.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Cinci is also quiet, probably for good reason. These decisions aren't made by bloggers or moonshine crackpot Twitter theorists or who can send the best local cuisine. Alum86 can choose to say "boy it's quiet there's nothing going on!" but it's an insanely dumb premise for many reasons. These aren't decisions that are made on a whim. If you want to blame anyone for Louisville blame the administration prior to Suzy who didn't do enough to seal the deal.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We are doing things behind the scenes. As an example, I know Suzy attended a meeting with the B12 folks a couple of months back, from a credible inside source. However, the President of UH, Renu Khator, has been sitting in on B12 meetings for many months, at their invitation. She's a very sharp lady and is extremely popular with the UH alumni and fanbase. Whether or not that gives UH a leg up over us I don't know.

Whatever things we're doing beyond the scope of FOIA requests is one thing, however this is the exact same approach that didn't get us into the ACC.

We're in the era of instant online news and social media saturation. It's the 21st century and that's our current reality. News clips, sound bites, and every scrap of info on any topic is immediately disseminated in many different ways on the internet. That's what's happening with this entire B12 expansion story. Every time the media extracts a piece of information about any attempts made by all the candidate schools it gets made part of a new story, or its the subject matter of a new story. That's news, even though manufactured, but it supplies content for newspapers, blogs, fan message sites, etc. It gets everybody talking about the particular schools involved.

Right now, rightly or wrongly, there just isn't much of any buzz out there about UConn because there aren't daily stories being written about the latest letters or documents uncovered by a FOIA media request. We seem to be taking a 19th century approach in a 21st century social media world. Maybe Suzy wouldn't be influenced by ham handed attempts to curry favor like receiving BBQ ribs from Memphis if she were a B12 president right now making these decisions. Maybe she's applying her own set of values in not wanting to engage in any tawdry, transparent attempts to turn the entire process into nothing but being another game show contestant. Or maybe she's privately sending them gifts, who knows.

The point is every other school in this process appears to be playing this game differently than UConn is. Their approach worked for Louisville the last time. If it works for them again this time at our expense, our administration will have an awful lot to answer for.

I'm torn on this. I think UConn is doing this the right way. Sadly, I confess that our modern world is so polluted by graft and corruption at every turn, that maybe it is expected in this situation. I'll hold out hope that our leaders know what they are doing, I trust them. I also know that their approach is the proper one. I hope that it is also the effective one, but I'm less sure of that. If it again fails, I will lose a little more faith in our institutions and the quality of people running them...and there's not much left to lose.

Reaction Score
Quick, let's send all the B12 members a pizza and local craft brew. Which pizza and beer should we choose?
Only one choice for pizza...

UConn Football ‏@UConnFootball 15h15 hours ago
Thank you @willingtonpizza for feeding our Huskies tonight! #UCONNFOOTBALL #CampLife

CpnT4RjWgAE3HX0.jpg

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
ESPN sources saying Big 12 is gonna have phone interviews with 17 schools. 17?! Holy hell. Also, McMurphy tweeted that adding 4 seems less likely.

17 video conferences! They must be throwing all that fancy high-cost media consultant findings out the window. So, the choice WON'T be made on data? :confused:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ESPN sources saying Big 12 is gonna have "conference calls" with 17 schools. 17?! Holy hell. Also, McMurphy tweeted that adding 4 seems less likely.

This is turning into a shittt show
What happened to 'we are only going look at schools who have already indicated interest?'

I hate CR.

Reaction Score

This pretty much says all you need to know about Big 12 expansion.

Either the decision makers are a bunch of idiots, or they're bluffing and trying to get ESPN/Fox to panic at some of the schools they're "talking with" and pay them more money.

The latter is much more likely.

But if they are bluffing, they're overselling it. 17 teams? Are you freakin kidding me? I couldn't name 17 possible candidates if I threw in literally every school we've heard:

UConn, Cincy, Memphis, UH, BYU, Tulane, UCF, USF, ECU, Temple, CSU, New Mexico, SMU...uhh....Navy? Air Force?? I'm still 2 short

Reaction Score
Cinci is also quiet, probably for good reason. These decisions aren't made by bloggers or moonshine crackpot Twitter theorists or who can send the best local cuisine. Alum86 can choose to say "boy it's quiet there's nothing going on!" but it's an insanely dumb premise for many reasons. These aren't decisions that are made on a whim. If you want to blame anyone for Louisville blame the administration prior to Suzy who didn't do enough to seal the deal.
Cinci is quiet now because they are probably assured a spot. They were not quiet for a long time with a lobbying outspoken president pushing their case. The advertising may have helped their cause. Same with Houston. Since "Suzy and Warde" were steering the ship when the Louisville thing went down, they indeed are responsible. Didn't keep up pressure, sat back and did nothing. No they are just as responsible, sorry.

Reaction Score
ESPN sources saying Big 12 is gonna have "conference calls" with 17 schools. 17?! Holy hell. Also, McMurphy tweeted that adding 4 seems less likely.

I see this as: "We've made our decision. Stop sending us stuff. Thank you for applying. You already know if you got in. Thanks have a good life and we'll keep you in mind if we add more in the future. Keep building."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
17 schools?

There's just no way.

Either that's wrong or these guys aren't serious.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
17 schools?

There's just no way.

Either that's wrong or these guys aren't serious.

Consider the source. McMurphy is an ESPN mouthpiece - he's going to make expansion look as messy and unlikely as possible.

Reaction Score
Anyone else notice that at the bottom the sources lists the 17 schools to present but only lists 14...

The 17 schools that will make their presentations to the Big 12 include Cincinnati, Houston, BYU, South Florida, UCF, UConn, Memphis, Colorado State, Boise State, Tulane, Temple, East Carolina, SMU and New Mexico, sources said.

I order seems highly relevant too.... the bottom three are probably MAC or CUSA schools with no shot. Marshall maybe, Southern Miss, UTEP?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Consider the source. McMurphy is an ESPN mouthpiece - he's going to make expansion look as messy and unlikely as possible.

Oh, and i forgot anti-UConn - the next positive word about us from him will be the first.

Alert on the ESPN app: "Boise St, BYU, Cincinnati among those on list" - notice who is missing...

Reaction Score
There aren't 17 schools the AAC would be interested in.
Yea, there is no way this is talking about 17 candidates. So I am guessing the 17 must include 10 of the B12 schools and perhaps 7 candidates. A total of 17 schools taking part in a back and forth.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ESPN had a material interest on limiting rhe number of schools added and directing them away from schools they own for less than $25M.

I think it's time for the politicos to call Bristol. There is only one reason that this gets posted. The guy isn't that big of a moron.

Reaction Score

Was listening to Sirius First Team show on the way to work. McMurphy was being interviewed. He was asked to pick 4 teams for XII admission for "conversation sake".
His reply was that, he personally wants the XII to stay at 10, but if he had to pick two it would be Cinci & Houston. He flat out refused to pick four. He further stated that he feels that the XII should wait 2 years before revisiting expansion to see how the XII fairs in selection of their champion to the football playoff. If it is picked both of the next 2 years, there is no need of expansion. If it is 1/2, maybe there is a problem. If it's not picked, expand but there is no hurry as the candidates aren't going anywhere. All in all, it sounded like he was being a company guy & reciting the ESPN party line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom