Collier in Minnesota | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Collier in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cheryl Reeve is definitely the "anti-Holly", mercilessly self-critical about her own coaching of Danielle Robinson, and resolved to change it.

Trust me, this is so not typical of Reeve. I like seeing this coming from her, but I’m a little skeptical that she’s suddenly changed.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Trust me, this is so not typical of Reeve. I like seeing this coming from her, but I’m a little skeptical that she’s suddenly changed.

For years, she has had a very mature and accomplished team. She did not have to modify her coaching so she could be very sure of her system and coaching approach. With this very young team, so many fundamental differences exist that she is flying by the seat of her pants and it is a sign of incredible depth that she can critically assess her approach.

Reaction Score
Collier joins LaChina Robinson & Company on the ESPNW Around the Rim podcast. She’s on from about 32:30-48:10.

Reaction Score
Lynx @ Liberty - 6/12/19
White Plains, NY - 7:00 PM ET
TV: YES

League Pass:

Game page:

ESPN Gamecast:

Reaction Score
This one's at the half. Lynx down 10 at the half, 38-28

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Okay now, this I don't understand -- benching Fowles in favor of Coates in 4Q?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Lynx miss Jess. (I know, the headline of DUH Magazine.) I hope Karima gets her game legs back quickly, which might stabilize things.

I think Napheesa hasn't gotten a touch in something like half the Minnesota offensive trips.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Lynx miss Jess. (I know, the headline of DUH Magazine.) I hope Karima gets her game legs back quickly, which might stabilize things.

I think Napheesa hasn't gotten a touch in something like half the Minnesota offensive trips.

A forgettable game for Collier tonight. 34 minutes of play, only 2 points in a 75-69 loss to the Liberty. :( Kia Nurse goes off for 26, Asia Durr chips in with 20 for NY.

Reaction Score
And just like that, Durr becomes the rookie leader in ppg.
30883D31-D861-416C-85C1-C0F01F9B63CF.jpeg

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Nurse and Durr could become a very good backcourt with more experience and time on the court together. Both young, hard nosed, and hard working. Neither of them are a pure PG, but that is a backcourt of the future to grow on.

If only NYL had someone of note at the 5 or 3.

Reaction Score
after the first quarter, i am not sure she got a shot attempt...
plus watching her as a '4' at times last night it looked like she was getting beat on.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nurse and Durr could become a very good backcourt with more experience and time on the court together. Both young, hard nosed, and hard working. Neither of them are a pure PG, but that is a backcourt of the future to grow on.

If only NYL had someone of note at the 5 or 3.

Durr was a revelation. She made some tough shots at crunch time to seal the win and she is a smart player who plays under control and finds room for mid range shots when her 3 is not falling. Her defense is underrated.

Compared to her ACC rival Arike, we got the right one.

Zahui B is a serviceable 5 and she plays with fire. If she can just keep the fouls under control

And Kia is playing beautiful ball. She has made herself into a top flight 3 pt shooter, has a good intermediate game, can drive with both hands and draws fouls like flies. And she is improving as a play maker. She had a number of nice pick and rolls and gets good passes into the post early in the shot clock.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Napheesa's game against the Liberty (which I agree was quite forgettable) had some interesting "UConn vs. UConn" aspects to it. In Minnesota's starting lineup, Napheesa is the "3", with Damiras Dantas the 4 and Sylvia Fowles the 5. Because the Liberty was playing with essentially three guards in their starting lineup (Tanisha Wright, Boyd/Durr, and Kia), Kia essentially became their "3", so Napheesa got to guard her. Kia got the better of the match-up, drawing some fouls and leaving Napheesa in the dust on one backdoor cut early in the second half. Kia ended up scoring 26 points, many while Napheesa was supposedly guarding her.

Then, when Dantas came out, Napheesa moved to her new "4" role and got to guard Tina Charles. That didn't go well either for Napheesa. She didn't have the strength to cope with Tina or the quickness to deal with Kia. If her 3-point shot had been working, she might have scored enough to make Coach Reeves forget about her defensive issues, and she might have scored some midrange points if the Liberty had bothered to guard her at the 3-point line. But it wasn't working, so they didn't bother.

Despite all of this, Napheesa played 34 minutes, the most of any member of the Lynx. That suggests that Coach Reeves's faith in her has not diminished.

I've watched several Lynx games this year, and this was the first time that Napheesa looked overmatched on defense. But I suspect that Tina and Kia will have that effect on a lot of defenders.

The Liberty did NOT look like a bad team last night. In addition to Tina and Kia, Asia Durr obviously played very well (apparently the first time this year that she has really "broken out"), and Amanda Zahui-B played very well and got a lot of minutes in Kiah Stokes's absence. Rebecca Allen of Australia apparently has an injury similar to KLS's, and was in street clothes last night, but has played well in other games. I don't see why the Liberty should not be a competitive team this year.

Reaction Score
Kennedy Burke, Paris Kea, Marina Mabrey, and Brooke McCarty being in the top 8 is cool. I enjoy when players that were low draft picks prosper. All of their teams needed help. The scoring numbers are not impressive, but I think my judgement is hazy because of the Wilson show last year. I have no clue who the second best rookie was last year though, and I'm a little too lazy look.

I think the creme will rise to the top by the end of the season, but I am rooting for those four and any other of the low picks still in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
It’s game night!
Sun @ Lynx - 6/14/19
Minneapolis, MN - 8:00 PM ET
TV: NESN+

League Pass:

Game page:

ESPN Gamecast:

Reaction Score
24-22 CON end of first

Anigwe actually got a minute of playing time already. :eek:

Reaction Score