Collier in Minnesota | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Collier in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I definitely thought about that. So is the message we're sending "it's really bad if a man hits a woman but if a woman hits a woman it's no big deal?" The WNBA has had domestic violence situations before IIRC, I think there was something with 2 players who were briefly married to each other.

Here's an interesting article:

Just came across this:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Completely astounds me how the league and the media are giving her a total pass on aggravated assault and intimate partner violence. Sheryl Swoopes in the postgame only referred obliquely to the "off the court" issues :confused:

Just imagine the outcry if an NBA player faced similar charges.
I said exactly the same thing to my wife tonight. I can’t believe she’s playing.

Reaction Score

Seems like a lot of the questions in this interview were team-focused, and probably more appropriate for Coach Reeve. I guess that's a compliment to Phee's BB smarts.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I definitely thought about that. So is the message we're sending "it's really bad if a man hits a woman but if a woman hits a woman it's no big deal?" The WNBA has had domestic violence situations before IIRC, I think there was something with 2 players who were briefly married to each other.

Here's an interesting article:

it may disrupt "Pride Week"... dont wanna mess up on their investment!

Reaction Score
The fact is that all professional sports have done a poor job dealing with domestic violence issues. This is a black eye for the WNBA. Only the NFL (which produces PSA's declaring their concern for women victims while looking the other way on all buty the most egregious cases) comes off looking worse that the WNBA on this point. Male to female or female to female in all sports require the same serious reactions from their respective league offices. One set of rules concerning partner violence, one set of rules.

But I too am sorry that this Collier site has been highjacked by such an emotional side track. I've been firmly on the Napheesa band wagon for the past four years and I only got dragged into this comment because I read every word that is posted here about our star graduate.

Like the rest of us I am still being rewarded as a Collier fan by her continued hard work and excellence as a basketball player.

Reaction Score
The fact is that all professional sports have done a poor job dealing with domestic violence issues. This is a black eye for the WNBA. Only the NFL (which produces PSA's declaring their concern for women victims while looking the other way on all buty the most egregious cases) comes off looking worse that the WNBA on this point. Male to female or female to female in all sports require the same serious reactions from their respective league offices. One set of rules concerning partner violence, one set of rules.

But I too am sorry that this Collier site has been highjacked by such an emotional side track. I've been firmly on the Napheesa band wagon for the past four years and I only got dragged into this comment because I read every word that is posted here about our star graduate.

Like the rest of us I am still being rewarded as a Collier fan by her continued hard work and excellence as a basketball player.
Don't forget female-to-male. Remember Hope Solo beating up her sister and 6'8" 270-pound nephew (in fairness, charges were dismissed after a 4-year investigation).

Of course Hope has been on the receiving end too - from her NFL player boyfriend - on their wedding day (again, in fairness, he was arrested, but charges were never brought).

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Torn ACL , crap crap crap !!

1560111207622.gif

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No doubt the Sparks were aware of all this yet they signed her anyway. Inexcusable.

Yes, they were fully aware before they signed her and yes it sends a horrible message, a message sent time and again in male professional sports too.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Huge bummer. Shepard was having the best season thus far among the 5 rookies from ND.

An ACL recovery is a test of mental fortitude and willingness to put in hard work off the court. Based on Jessica's track record, I really really like her chances of making a full recovery and coming back stronger than ever.

Reaction Score
Really unfortunate news in regards to Shepard. Feel for her. Hope she has a successful and quick recovery.

In respect to the Sparks and leagues response to Williams--- its not that surprising. Trying to keep it under wraps from anyone but the hardcore WNBA community makes all the sense in the World. The league is not strong enough to be able to deal with negative publicity. Until it plays itself out in court it is better for them to attempt to ignore it. The media might not make a big enough deal about it and that would avoid them having to deal with it at all. Does anyone really think that the NFL or any other major professional league would have instituted an abuse policy if it was not forced to by media exposer and public backlash?

There are few players that have had an out of the starting gate beginning as Collier has had. I bet a few teams are kicking them selves in the rear for passing on her in the draft.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I was really starting to enjoy watching the dynamic between Shepard and Collier. This is a major bummer for the Lynx.

If she was faster, I think this would be a good way for Gustafson to wiggle her way onto a roster.

ETA: If they do give Gustafson a chance, that may give a bump to home attendance for the Lynx. Her hometown is only about three hours from Minneapolis and Iowa City is about four and a half. She has built quite the following in those bubbles and, I think, would be worth considering.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There was an interesting comment during the game comparing Shepard to Janel McCarville. I kinda forgot that she was a key piece to their string of titles before Big Syl joined the party.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Guessing that Temi Fagbenle will get lots of PT as a result of this —

I doubt she will have the same hi-lo chemistry with Collier but she is an improving player with potential.

Reaction Score
With the Shepard injury, Collier will be getting more minutes at PF, at least until F@gbenle comes back.

Collier’s role will change with the injury to Shepard. Going forward, at least until the return of Temi Fagbenle, Collier will be the team’s third post player, after transitioning to the three in training camp. Switching positions for the second time in just a few weeks isn’t easy, but Collier is up for the challenge.

“She didn’t catch on right away, she thought it was just an occasional sub at the four, it’s like, ‘No, you’re like the third post.’ She’s got a lot to learn still, pick and roll defense is very different than what she’s been playing as a perimeter player, but she’ll learn fast,” said Reeve.

The biggest change for Collier will come on defense, where she’ll be asked to defend bigger players rather than quicker ones. Collier’s adjustment to the small forward demonstrated her ability to stay in front of WNBA small-forwards. Now, she will have to try to translate that success to post defense.

On offense, though Collier will have to re-learn many of the Lynx’s plays to be able to play the power forward position in them, she feels her looks will be similar to what she gets now, just against a different kind of defenders.

“It is a lot of the same shots. If you look at the shots Damiris (Dantas) is getting, I feel like we’re getting a lot of the same shots outside and inside, so I’ll be playing where she plays sometimes, sharing some of those minutes now,” said Collier. “[Defenders are] a little bit longer so you have to realize that and get around them or do whatever you need to make those adjustments.”

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
With the Shepard injury, Collier will be getting more minutes at PF, at least until F@gbenle comes back.
May I suggest that everyone interested in this thread should read the entire linked article, not just the excerpt quoted above? Cheryl Reeves is definitely the "anti-Holly", mercilessly self-critical about her own coaching of Danielle Robinson, and resolved to change it. She has a lot of ideas for what has been causing so many turnovers and how that problem can be fixed. And she obviously has an extremely high opinion of Napheesa and her ability to absorb all the position learning that they can throw at her.

It sounds as if Napheesa will start at the 3, as before, but now will switch to the 4 when Damiras Dantas comes out of the game (which is what Jessica Shepard did previously). So I'm not sure when or how Napheesa can ever come out of the game. Hopefully she won't get too many fouls defending bigger players.

By the way, I think there is a typo in the story where it says "... the biggest change for Collier will come on defense …". I think what Cheryl really must have said is that the biggest change will be on OFFENSE, since she will now be at the opposite end of the pick and roll. But her new role will obviously be more similar to what she was doing at UConn.

She obviously is going to be given a chance to be rookie of the year, and I think she will probably rise to that challenge.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
May I suggest that everyone interested in this thread should read the entire linked article, not just the excerpt quoted above? Cheryl Reeves is definitely the "anti-Holly", mercilessly self-critical about her own coaching of Danielle Robinson, and resolved to change it. She has a lot of ideas for what has been causing so many turnovers and how that problem can be fixed. And she obviously has an extremely high opinion of Napheesa and her ability to absorb all the position learning that they can throw at her.

It sounds as if Napheesa will start at the 3, as before, but now will switch to the 4 when Damiras Dantas comes out of the game (which is what Jessica Shepard did previously). So I'm not sure when or how Napheesa can ever come out of the game. Hopefully she won't get too many fouls defending bigger players.

By the way, I think there is a typo in the story where it says "... the biggest change for Collier will come on defense …". I think what Cheryl really must have said is that the biggest change will be on OFFENSE, since she will now be at the opposite end of the pick and roll. But her new role will obviously be more similar to what she was doing at UConn.

She obviously is going to be given a chance to be rookie of the year, and I think she will probably rise to that challenge.

Cheryl is one of a kind. A fantastic coach. Pheesa is very lucky.,

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
So Collier will be playing some 3 and 4. I guess, at seventh in the league in minutes, she'll have to work a little harder. :cool:

Some favorite impressions from the article:

"Shepard was at practice on crutches—she will still be a big part of this team as she rehabs."

After her transformation before last NCAA season, I think we know how dedicated Jess is, but going to practice on crutches a day or two after a horrible injury reinforces that.

' “Jess is a great person. That’s one of the reasons she’s getting so much support,” said Napheesa Collier. “People love her. She’s such a great teammate, such a great person, so you never want to see this happen to anyone and I think everyone is going to rally behind her.”
' “Just trying to be as supportive as I can,” said Collier. “Texting her, seeing how she’s doing, asking if she needs anything. This is a really rough time, and no one wants to go through this but we’re all here for her and trying to be as supportive as we can.” '

Pheesa is very fond of Jess.

This is a setback, and I'm wicked bummed about this. But I still think Pheesa and Jess can be one of the best pairs of teammates ever if they stay together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom