College teams should be allowed no more than 2 top 30 rated players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

College teams should be allowed no more than 2 top 30 rated players

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Outside of the ridiculousness of the actual idea, can you imagine the implications on recruiting rankings? The amount of corruption would be insane. You think scrutiny on high school kids is bad now....

I'm sure the amount of corruption right now is insane.

Reaction Score
The NBA needs to get rid of the one and done rule. If you don't want a kid to play straight out of high school, let the team draft him and send him to their D league team (or whatever letter is correct). Also, every player should count against a team's scholarship count until he either graduates, enrolls at another university or college or he reaches his nominal graduation date. If a player jumps after his junior year, you have to wait a year to fill that slot. If he jumps after his soph year, you have to wait 2 years. If he jumps after his freshman year, you have to wait three years. Call me an idealist but maybe college athletics shouldn't be a mockery anymore. Maybe these kids should either be STUDENT athletes or they should be allowed to jump straight to the "minor leagues" or "major leagues", if they are good enough. Some might argue that the total number of student athletes would drop too much and that would be bad for underprivileged kids looking to sports for a way out of their situation. Fine. Bump the scholarship limit up to 14 then. But, honestly, there aren't THAT many kids that jump early so the impact of a rule like this would be minor. It only would hurt a team loaded with one and done players. Boo hoo. The response would be to take fewer of those players or spread them out over time. That would, in turn, spread them out over more teams. And the 4 star kids would then get distributed to more teams as well. Teams that take 5 star kids will have to learn to play with a thinner roster and roll the dice on what happens if one or more of those kids gets injured. It shouldn't be a no-brainer for Duke and Kentucky to load up on these kids.

Reaction Score
I don't think the rules should be changed in that way. I just think that programs like Duke and Kentucky should be criticized more when they underachieve with such a huge talent advantage. Talent is more important to winning than coaching, experience, chemistry, luck, leadership or whatever else. Of course those teams would be better with more time playing together but with that much talent, they should be expected to make the final four every year and be ridiculed if they don't.

Its pathetic when Coach Cal complains about his team's youth and inexperience as if he would've preferred lesser talented players.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The only legitimate (and enforceable) rule that could be implemented eouldf be (similar to football) having a cap not only in total scholarships but also scholarships per year. If a coach knows he might run out of players if everyone he signs is planning on leaving once their freshman year is over, he'll likely mix in a few multi-year prospects wirh each recruiting class.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Except UConn because you guys wouldn't even make the tournament. However, under my suggestion UConn probably would get in. See I'm always looking out for the little guys. Programs like UConn (and other mid and low tier AAC schools) are getting screwed in the current system.
Little Guys?
The only Little Guy I see is your coach
But funny I don't see him wearing his 4 championship rings - in fact does he have an AAC championship hat or t-shirt
Take your snark elsewhere

Reaction Score
The only legitimate (and enforceable) rule that could be implemented eouldf be (similar to football) having a cap not only in total scholarships but also scholarships per year. If a coach knows he might run out of players if everyone he signs is planning on leaving once their freshman year is over, he'll likely mix in a few multi-year prospects wirh each recruiting class.
What would you set the limit to?

Reaction Score
However, under my suggestion UConn probably would get in. See I'm always looking out for the little guys.

So if 5 final fours and 4 championships and countless Big East regular season and a number of BET and AACT wins is little, I wonder what you actually consider BIG? Maybe just UCLA...and...?

Get back to me when the dwarf leads the Bearcats to the final four just once! Nah, at least 2!

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
I think we know who the OP voted for

6F7B5C9B-D4AA-44F5-AD6B-FFF47B336DCE.jpeg

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Redistribute the players! It's unfair some schools are better than others!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It makes a ton of sense and levels the playing ground. Whats going on at Kentucky and Duke is not reasonable and doesnt provide a fair playing ground

Define ‘sense’.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If we’re redistributing Top 30/50/100 recruits, I would personally like some. Please and thanks.

Reaction Score
This is what UConn fans are now like? No wonder that guy said “goodbye boneyard” the other day......

Reaction Score
It makes a ton of sense and levels the playing ground. Whats going on at Kentucky and Duke is not reasonable and doesnt provide a fair playing ground
Life is not fair nor should it be. If a high school basketball player has the talent, he or she should be able to play at any school they are recruited by and would like to play for.

Reaction Score
There should be a college draft with the worst college teams based on rankings getting access to the 5 star recruits first.

Reaction Score
Modified version of MLB that I think the NCAA might go along with as well as the league.

Free to declare out of HS and take your chances.

But if don't declare you have to stay in college for 2 years or leave for a non nba/G league team such as Europe until 2 years are complete.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
These are some brilliant ideas. I would also suggest that fans in attendance be required to cheer for both teams. I'm sure the visiting team feels bad when the home team does something good and the crowd cheers like crazy. Force them to cheer for the visitors when they do something good.

Taking things a step further, there should be a draft based on SAT scores for kids coming out of High School. Why should MIT get all the top Engineering students? Shouldn't Devry have a chance? It's just not fair, I tell you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Or we could let HS kids go to the college of their choice. Just a thought.

Reaction Score
this thread is gold. the OP has to be trolling you guys.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

My preference is to require all scholarships to be for four years, and every kid offered a scholarship who attends class deserves a degree - even if a player uses up his eligibility, he can still earn a degreee at no cost, even if it takes five or more years.

Reaction Score
Tom, I like your idea, but I would change it to five years, with four years of eligibility. I worked with a guy who played football at Nebraska and he said that for most of the guys there was no way in hell they were going to get a degree in four years. The athletic demands were just too great.

In terms of the rankings, the services don't always get it right. Frank Mason was a National Player of the Year by most publications, and his 247 ranking coming out of High School was 118: Frank Mason, Massanutten Military Academy, Point Guard By contrast, Josh Selby was the #1 ranked recruit coming out of High School, and he didn't do squat.

The key is to have a coach that can identify the talent and mold it into something he wants, not to go apepoop over recruiting rankings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom