College Sports Madness Preseason All-Americans | Page 4 | The Boneyard

College Sports Madness Preseason All-Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I actually like Turner over Wilson as I think Turner has a better motor than Wilson. When she played against us I thought she would kill us, UCLA, she had 14 pts and 16 rebs, did pretty well and as you say all her shots were close to the basket. Last year in the Elite 8, I watched Stanford leave her open away from the basket and take away her left in the first half and thus really negated her. Second half McCall forgot the game plan and let her get deep under the basket and she scored mostly left right near the basket.

The problem with those high % shots is that teams will leave her open away from the basket thus clogging the lanes that you talk about.

Turner, nor Wilson, are back to the basket players, who are usually responsible for "clogging the paint". Turner's so called easy looks are the result of an offense that is designed to provide them for her. In the game you mentioned against Stanford, Turner did resort to posting McCall up, but the post up often happened quickly (almost in transition) or by Turner cutting in from the free throw extended area. . If you watch clips, Turner is used in on-ball screens at the top of the key (pick and roll), she beats posts up the court, or she cuts in from outside the paint to get her at the rim shots. It's timing and athleticism.

PS- McCall is really underrated!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With regards to Turner, this might be the classic case of a fan lacking understanding of the game plan. Muffet understood winning the game hinged on Turner. It's likely the plan was for Tuner to avoid foul trouble in the first half, which she did (0 personal fouls). When Tuner realized it was her turn to step up, she finished the game with 14 point (shooting 78 percent) and 10 rebounds. Stewart completed the game with 8 points and 15 rebounds. Averaging a double-double as a freshman in the national championship game is not chopped liver.
Queue the mob who claims Turner only scores from 3 ft from the basket]....so would everyone else if they were that talented. It's called high percentage shots.
Little love for Aja or Turner on this board, but Geno loved them enough to recruit them heavily! Riddle me that!

"I think the first half I wasn't as aggressive as I needed to be. So in the second half I just tried to come out and be aggressive."
Turner after Stanford Loss 2016.
ASAP Sports Transcripts - Basketball - 2016 - NCAA WOMEN'S REGIONAL SEMIFINALS AND FINALS: LEXINGTON - March 25 - Muffet McGraw - Brianna Turner - Lindsay Allen

“I think I wasn’t aggressive enough. I was really timid in the first half,”
Turner-2015 National Championship game.
Turner struggles in first half before bouncing back // The Observer

Brianna Turner & A'Ja Wilson get much love from me. That ends quickly when UCONN players are attacked. KLS was attacked, I'm not having it!

"Well I'm an alley cat, some say a dirty rat
On my side is my gat, see I'm all of that
Spittin' out buck shots, boy I'm gonna wet'cha

Sawed off shotgun, hand on the pump. "
Cypress Hill​

Reaction Score
A quote from Holly.
On Impact Of Last Season's Elite Eight Run
"That's a great question. I think it was a major impact on us. I think you saw us turn the corner. Our leadership stepped up. I think that we saw the outcome of people leading, people listening and playing hard. I think it had a major effect on what we did this summer. It was probably one of the best summers we've had as far as dedicating to get better, doing things as a team and just all-around wanting to improve their game. This fall has been something different that we haven't seen with the togetherness. There's a feel right now with this basketball team, and I can't explain it. I think last year at times, everybody felt a little bit of disconnect. You don't feel a disconnect with this team, and that's a great thing. That starts with great leadership and people buying into the system. I think right now they are doing just that."
I\

I have a feeling that this is a do or die year for Holly. The words above if correct are fine --Holly has spoken well in the past and no major difference was seen in her team. How many years has she had beyond Pat? And Pat left players that were beyond pate'.

Reaction Score
uhummmmm.....clearing throat....you do know what board you are on right? The unique thing about our little group is that we enjoy hearing from the fans of other teams....your fellow ND folks are indeed a pleasure to deal with......please remember that we have every right to our well earned biases....BTW do the ND boards allow for the unfettered flow of communication between rival fans like the Boneyard does?.......curious to know that........
Not many other teams fans come on there. I find it kind of boring. But you do get some solid information about players . But most of it i all ready know because i stay informed . To be honest i stopped posting there. Im a die hard N.D. fan in everything but football. Im a Miami Hurricane fan in football . Someone called the Miami women's team convicts and it didn't set well with me and i fired back. Once they found out i was a Miami fan and didn't like N.D. football people got nasty and i gave it right back to them and then decided i wanted no part of it. But trust me there are some people on here who want no part of N.D. fans on their board. But most are pretty solid posters.

Reaction Score
uhummmmm.....clearing throat....you do know what board you are on right? The unique thing about our little group is that we enjoy hearing from the fans of other teams....your fellow ND folks are indeed a pleasure to deal with......please remember that we have every right to our well earned biases....BTW do the ND boards allow for the unfettered flow of communication between rival fans like the Boneyard does?.......curious to know that........
Well said!! WE all have our Team Biases ---Many of our ND fans --defend their favorites on the ND team --and do it without moaning about unfair treatment or Uconn Bias (this site is UConn WBB after all).

Reaction Score
"I think the first half I wasn't as aggressive as I needed to be. So in the second half I just tried to come out and be aggressive."
Turner after Stanford Loss 2016.
ASAP Sports Transcripts - Basketball - 2016 - NCAA WOMEN'S REGIONAL SEMIFINALS AND FINALS: LEXINGTON - March 25 - Muffet McGraw - Brianna Turner - Lindsay Allen

“I think I wasn’t aggressive enough. I was really timid in the first half,”
Turner-2015 National Championship game.
Turner struggles in first half before bouncing back // The Observer

Brianna Turner & A'Ja Wilson get much love from me. That ends quickly when UCONN players are attacked. KLS was attacked, I'm not having it!

"Well I'm an alley cat, some say a dirty rat
On my side is my gat, see I'm all of that
Spittin' out buck shots, boy I'm gonna wet'cha

Sawed off shotgun, hand on the pump. "
Cypress Hill

We see a lot of these kinds of comments from BB players after the game--they usually reflect the words used towards them by the staff --probably so the Staff knows the kid got what they said---then it's the same stuff next game.​

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I understand, but also believe many of the same people claiming post players are incomplete recognize and praise high IQ, team-based basketball. In Notre Dame's offense, why would Brianna Turner take any shot other than at the rim? She's operating in a system where her role does not include the elbow jumper. She is surrounded by very talented shooters from the mid-range and the three point line. What fans see is not always indicative of what a player can do.

Aja Wilson, on the other hand played the high post and shot the elbow jumper last season for two reasons: SC had subpar guard play (outside of Tiffany Mitchell) and her counterpart in the post surely could not play anywhere but around the rim. I think we'll still see her at the high post this season, but believe SC's offense will change considering the addition of Gray and Davis who are both adept off the dribble.

In the same vein, those saying KLS is not supremely talented are likely in for a rude awakening this year. She was playing alongside three transcendent players - and playing her role. She will be a different player this year, as her role has changed.
Forgot to welcome you in the prior post. You are off to a great start. I disagree with your conclusion on Turner. Turner grew up as a wing slashing player and a mid range jump shot was certainly part of her arsenal prior to coming to ND. The ND offense is not what is restricting Turner from taking mid range because those shot were always available to Reimer and Westbeld.

Reaction Score
With regards to Turner, this might be the classic case of a fan lacking understanding of the game plan. Muffet understood winning the game hinged on Turner. It's likely the plan was for Tuner to avoid foul trouble in the first half, which she did (0 personal fouls). When Tuner realized it was her turn to step up, she finished the game with 14 point (shooting 78 percent) and 10 rebounds. Stewart completed the game with 8 points and 15 rebounds. Averaging a double-double as a freshman in the national championship game is not chopped liver.

[Queue the mob who claims Turner only scores from 3 ft from the basket]....so would everyone else if they were that talented. It's called high percentage shots.

Little love for Aja or Turner on this board, but Geno loved them enough to recruit them heavily! Riddle me that!

Your last sentence----Recruiting in Div 1 is much different than when they make a team. One is potential the other is what's expected from the talent previously seen and not further developed. That's the riddle --unriddled!!

Reaction Score
Forgot to welcome you in the prior post. You are off to a great start. I disagree with your conclusion on Turner. Turner grew up as a wing slashing player and a mid range jump shot was certainly part of her arsenal prior to coming to ND. The ND offense is not what is restricting Turner from taking mid range because those shot were always available to Reimer and Westbeld.

I thought the mid range shot of Turner was going to make her very difficult to defend. Bet your bippy (hows that for a throw back) that Geno would have used anything in her arsenal .

Reaction Score
Charlie -- Over at McGraw's bench, a recent thread was led by a Boneyard member.
As per the Boneyard, I'm very well aware of where I am and whom I'm with (as I should because I'm now a #4 in an old man's league) on this board, but I really enjoy the WBB and WCBB contributions from any and all. When right and tight, or loosey and goosey, it's both fun and interesting. ;):)
Hal a lou ya---Hal a lou ya!!! Yea Brother I am a believer---WELL PUT.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I thought the mid range shot of Turner was going to make her very difficult to defend. Bet your bippy (hows that for a throw back) that Geno would have used anything in her arsenal .
I think Muffet would also utilize everything in her Arsenal also. I personally bring it back to the player. Turner might be like Kiah Stokes who scored a ton of points in High school but got so comfortable at UCONN in the things that she thought she was good at that it was a struggle to get her out of that comfort zone. As @Decoli2 was saying: Turner's though might be "we got plenty of people on the team who can shoot mid range jumpers. I'm gonna keep blocking shots and grabing rebounds and running the floor. "

Reaction Score
Speaking of disappearing, is it ok to cancel the APB for the lesser Mabrey. She has not been seen since the first half of the UCONN game. Word on your street in Southbend is that another freshmen even took her minutes. Mabrey learned how to disappear from the best Irish players though: There was Skylar in FF in 2013, Jewell in 2014, Turner in first half of 2015. KLS will become a better player because she is at UCONN. Leprechauns that live in glass houses should learn to stop throwing pebbles.
Could anyone have said it any better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I think Muffet would also utilize everything in her Arsenal also. I personally bring it back to the player. Turner might be like Kiah Stokes who scored a ton of points in High school but got so comfortable at UCONN in the things that she thought she was good at that it was a struggle to get her out of that comfort zone. As @Decoli2 was saying: Turner's though might be "we got plenty of people on the team who can shoot mid range jumpers. I'm gonna keep blocking shots and grabing rebounds and running the floor. "

Yea that's pretty much my take on Kiah too---But early on when she was in the post and looking for the ball--it never went in there. So if your teammates won't feed you--you find another means of contributing. That's not Turners problem. Frankly--I'll rely on people like you to let me know what are her real issues. I believe Muffet is one of the top 2 coaches in WCBB--she did wonders with Riley. Muffet usually gets the best from her talent--but I (maybe my UC bias) believe Geno gets more --it may take Geno another year to get them up to Div 1 speed but when they do--they are among the best.

Reaction Score
Have to agree with some of the comments. KLS was good for half the season; great the second half on offense/good on zone defense. If there was another player on another team with more proven skills, would rate her higher NOW. That is a different discussion than the high level I would forecast KLS, Nurse, and others to finish at end of year and playoffs. Some of the non-UCONN teams seem to allow more individual play versus UCONN's total team focus so at times can be difficult for those who don't watch Huskies consistently to understand each player's contribution.
\

It's unfair to compare KLS with anyone else--but I'm unfair! Stewies first year was divided into 3 sections--(regular season--first half good to almost great--second half (was Stew actually on the team??)--then the last 1/3 the NCAA's and she came to life.

Katie Lou was 2 halves---First half -(a little over 1/3rd regular season) was learning and finding out --hey Dorothy this isn't kansas
Then the last --1/3 and NCAA Katie Lou became all we expected and then much much more--then she was hurt.

This coming season I believe will be a breakout season (if Katie Lou isn't thinking injury all the time, I doubt that)--she has the talent, the size, and has shown she can not only make the 3, but the top of the key jumper/hook, dribble drives, and defends well--what more do we want?? (I want Collier to do the same, she has shown she could and did.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I\

I have a feeling that this is a do or die year for Holly. The words above if correct are fine --Holly has spoken well in the past and no major difference was seen in her team. How many years has she had beyond Pat? And Pat left players that were beyond pate'.
I think there are a lot of factors. How the team does is one. If Diamond leaves. Clearly she has the talent for the WNBA. I Think getting a real good class coming in will help her. Hayes is a good start. Now see who else decides to come.

Reaction Score
I think there are a lot of factors. How the team does is one. If Diamond leaves. Clearly she has the talent for the WNBA. I Think getting a real good class coming in will help her. Hayes is a good start. Now see who else decides to come.
I don't mean to damn anything Orange--no insult to Tn--Holly has had an influx of transfers and recruits that was among the best of the best recruits. It's not who you get, although that usually helps, it's what the coach makes of them. So far with Holly I have not seen that.
If you see it differently--have at it--I have been known to learn --however slowly that happens.
My original posting on this was that this was a do or die year. So (I know you don't believe this) but assume this is some thing less than the Elite 8 year--what then??

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I understand, but also believe many of the same people claiming post players are incomplete recognize and praise high IQ, team-based basketball. In Notre Dame's offense, why would Brianna Turner take any shot other than at the rim? She's operating in a system where her role does not include the elbow jumper. She is surrounded by very talented shooters from the mid-range and the three point line. What fans see is not always indicative of what a player can do.

Aja Wilson, on the other hand played the high post and shot the elbow jumper last season for two reasons: SC had subpar guard play (outside of Tiffany Mitchell) and her counterpart in the post surely could not play anywhere but around the rim. I think we'll still see her at the high post this season, but believe SC's offense will change considering the addition of Gray and Davis who are both adept off the dribble.

In the same vein, those saying KLS is not supremely talented are likely in for a rude awakening this year. She was playing alongside three transcendent players - and playing her role. She will be a different player this year, as her role has changed.

True enough on the elbow/foul line jumpers. This year, those were the part and parcel of Reimer, Westbeld and even Hannah Huffman when she was positioned there. Westbeld is back, joined by Erin Boley. We'll see what those two, along with Turner, have in store.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I don't mean to damn anything Orange--no insult to Tn--Holly has had an influx of transfers and recruits that was among the best of the best recruits. It's not who you get, although that usually helps, it's what the coach makes of them. So far with Holly I have not seen that.
If you see it differently--have at it--I have been known to learn --however slowly that happens.
My original posting on this was that this was a do or die year. So (I know you don't believe this) but assume this is some thing less than the Elite 8 year--what then??
I know what you was saying. I was just trying to add a little other things to discuss. There will also be a new AD at some point. But one thing that I think has hurt were some key injuries. Last year I think if Reynolds and Carter were healthy they beat Syracuse. As they did in the regular season. Harrison injury also was a big blow before last year. Yes I do think the team can make E8 or FF.
DeShields and Russell have to stay healthy thou.

Reaction Score
We don't need pre-season individual awards to know how great we are... There is no I in team... and even all the greats to come out of UCONN knew that... It's the final team award that matters... not all this pre-season drivel...

I love it when everyone underestimates UCONN :p

Reaction Score
I know what you was saying. I was just trying to add a little other things to discuss. There will also be a new AD at some point. But one thing that I think has hurt were some key injuries. Last year I think if Reynolds and Carter were healthy they beat Syracuse. As they did in the regular season. Harrison injury also was a big blow before last year. Yes I do think the team can make E8 or FF.
DeShields and Russell have to stay healthy thou.

Not an area here to diagree with. Except are they ready to meet Uconn in the final 4?? As is the case with Uconn this year--it's a wait and see. Everyone will know the true answers in later March.

Reaction Score
These people have great insight :rolleyes:. After all, they did pick Moriah on the 2nd team and Morgan on the 4th team last year.

News flash: UConn has 3 of the best players in the country, again this year. And couple more in the wings.

Reaction Score
\

It's unfair to compare KLS with anyone else--but I'm unfair! Stewies first year was divided into 3 sections--(regular season--first half good to almost great--second half (was Stew actually on the team??)--then the last 1/3 the NCAA's and she came to life.

Katie Lou was 2 halves---First half -(a little over 1/3rd regular season) was learning and finding out --hey Dorothy this isn't kansas
Then the last --1/3 and NCAA Katie Lou became all we expected and then much much more--then she was hurt.

This coming season I believe will be a breakout season (if Katie Lou isn't thinking injury all the time, I doubt that)--she has the talent, the size, and has shown she can not only make the 3, but the top of the key jumper/hook, dribble drives, and defends well--what more do we want?? (I want Collier to do the same, she has shown she could and did.
Katie Lou had an advantage Stewie didn't have, Geno said he didn't know how to get Stewie out of her funk, until she did herself in the NCAA. Stewie realized KLS was having the same doubts she went through as a freshman, and had that dinner sit down with Katie Lou. Katie Lou found herself, and Uconn was ready to win their 4th in a row.

Reaction Score
Nah, that's OK, no bombs here...... I kind of like the idea of being the under dog for a change.. ...no UConn players on that list......Love it!!!.......it will only make the players work harder and frankly while UConn has had too many All Americans to mention, Geno has always preached the team game over individual greatness....keep your honors, we'll take another championship.....
And yet his "Huskies of Honor" banners are reserved for those who've been recognized as individuals.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There's not one guard on that list that I would take above Alexis Jones. IMO she will end up as a first-teamer by the time season ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom