College Football Playoff Looking At Expanded Field Options | Page 6 | The Boneyard

College Football Playoff Looking At Expanded Field Options

Reaction Score
There has never been a drive to have a tournament style defining of a football champion...for years, it was the AP and UPI polls....and split champions.

The number one and number two teams were not often matched in a bowl....the BCS was then established to match the #1 & #2 team to determine a Champion...that's all they did.

That expanded to the #1-#4 playoff format of the CFP...

By having relatively few teams play off...the regular season and conference championships have remained meaningful.

I don't know about "fair and equitable"....When there is such a disparity between teams/conferences...it is always equitable to have the best play for it. It is that determining of the "best" that may be the rub....but we seed in basketball and can do so in football.

I don't see the relevance of your response to my post............and I never stated "fair and equitable" and would respectfully ask that you not misquote me.

Reaction Score
I don't see the relevance of your response to my post............and I never stated "fair and equitable" and would respectfully ask that you not misquote me.

Oh...Excuse me..."fair and competitive" .....I like that much better....

I like competitive...thus having the best teams play...no AQ.

Reaction Score
Playoffs work in FCS, D2 and D3, so this isn’t rocket science. The handwringing and angst is more about controlling money and making sure the prized pigs are fed rather than fairness. This is about how you create just enough slop to keep the rest on the farm.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Playoffs work in FCS, D2 and D3, so this isn’t rocket science. The handwringing and angst is more about controlling money and making sure the prized pigs are fed rather than fairness. This is about how you create just enough slop to keep the rest on the farm.

It's classic take-a-bigger-piece-of-a-smaller-pie, when the goal should be to increase the size of the pie.

Eventually, 100% of nothing is nothing.

Reaction Score
A sixteen-team CFP series means that the last two contenders in the final championship game will have played four post-season games in addition to their regular scheduled ones. That's a lot of exposure to potential injury, and represents a lot of academic disruption (assuming there's still such a thing as a "student athlete"). Networks and streaming services may relish the idea of increased revenues, but folks who worry about the welfare of athletes and liability issues may feel differently.

Reaction Score

Sure...quick, without googling, who are the Final Four in FCS, playing this coming Saturday? Be honest...do you know?

Most don't know or care.

Reaction Score
Sure...quick, without googling, who are the Final Four in FCS, playing this coming Saturday? Be honest...do you know?

Most don't know or care.

The expanded playoff isn’t the reason people don’t know or don’t care. It’s disingenuous to suggest as much.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
..I dread the day when college football becomes like basketball when the regular season is just a warm up for the real season in March.
I know, right? College basketball fans don’t watch any games before March. I mean what’s the point. An inclusive tournament has totally destroyed college basketball.
Iron Man Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
Oh...Excuse me..."fair and competitive" .....I like that much better....

I like competitive...thus having the best teams play...no AQ.

Well, I'm glad you like that.........I'm also happy not to be misquoted. Thank you.

Reaction Score
I know, right? College basketball fans don’t watch any games before March. I mean what’s the point. An inclusive tournament has totally destroyed college basketball.
Iron Man Reaction GIF

The basketball numbers of watchers in regular season are small numbers...compared to college football...,where last year 10 million watched the regular season match of Clemson-Notre Dame, 7 million watched Georgia-Florida, etc.

Reaction Score

Every week of football season, there were three or four games that topped the 10 most watched basketball matches of the year (four of which involved Duke).

CL82

Reaction Score
The basketball numbers of watchers in regular season are small numbers...compared to college football...,where last year 10 million watched the regular season match of Clemson-Notre Dame, 7 million watched Georgia-Florida, etc.
And you attribute that to the playoff structure?

Here are some of the higher rated national championship games:

1620075580653.png

Reaction Score
I attribute that to the fact that basketball doesn't really count until March....and football's regular season, in contrast, is wildly followed.

CL82

Reaction Score
I attribute that to the fact that basketball doesn't really count until March....and football's regular season, in contrast, is wildly followed.
Lol, I'm sure you do.

FWIW here's last year's football numbers:

1620075888913.png

Feel free to compare these to the BB rating above. I will just note that the highest rated game was the football national championship game.

Reaction Score
LOL....I am talking the regular seasons between basketball and football...and you want to move the goal posts to Championship Games...because , AS I POSTED...basketball doesn't rate in regular season...

The year before...2019-20 football viewing
  • The 392 regular season telecasts on ABC, the Big Ten Network, BTN, CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, FOX, FS1, NBC and the NFL Network during the 2019 season averaged 1,839,000 viewers per game (a 2% increase from 2018) while reaching more than 145 million unique fans

• The 38 postseason bowl games on ABC, CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, FOX and FS1 at the conclusion of the 2019-20 season averaged 5,037,000 viewers per game (a 1% increase from last season) while reaching 90 million unique fans† on television. (The figures do not include the FBC Mortgage Cure Bowl or the NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl, both telecast on CBSSN, which is not rated by Nielsen Media.)
Yes...for two games a year, in the post season, basketball puts up big numbers...

Football, during regular season...averages 1.8 milliuon per game over 392 games....and, over 38 bowl games, averaged 5 million viewers...no freaking comparison.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In 2018 and in 2019, as in many seasons...the regular season match up between Duke-UNC was the most watched regular BB season game...

IN 2019, there were 9 regular season football games that doubled the number of watchers of the highest rated regular season basketball game....

Basketball is about March.

Nothing is wrong with that...it is how the seasons are designed.

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I don't think it is going to be expanded to 12 right away. I feel eight is a better number anyway. If it is 8, I hope that it is a straight top 8, not automatic qualifiers but I don't see that happening. The 5 P5 conferences will likely get auto bids. A lot of people think that the top G5 conference winner will get one too but I don't buy it. An 12-1 UCF or Houston doesn't belong in the playoff. A G5 team should only be in the playoff IF they go undefeated and play at least two P5 schools.

CL82

Reaction Score
LOL....I am talking the regular seasons between basketball and football...and you want to move the goal posts to Championship Games...because , AS I POSTED...basketball doesn't rate in regular season...

The year before...2019-20 football viewing
  • The 392 regular season telecasts on ABC, the Big Ten Network, BTN, CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, FOX, FS1, NBC and the NFL Network during the 2019 season averaged 1,839,000 viewers per game (a 2% increase from 2018) while reaching more than 145 million unique fans

• The 38 postseason bowl games on ABC, CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, FOX and FS1 at the conclusion of the 2019-20 season averaged 5,037,000 viewers per game (a 1% increase from last season) while reaching 90 million unique fans† on television. (The figures do not include the FBC Mortgage Cure Bowl or the NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl, both telecast on CBSSN, which is not rated by Nielsen Media.)
Yes...for two games a year, in the post season, basketball puts up big numbers...

Football, during regular season...averages 1.8 milliuon per game over 392 games....and, over 38 bowl games, averaged 5 million viewers...no freaking comparison.
So you’re saying the playoff system is already meaningless for football. So a more inclusive system has the opportunity to improve it. I think we can find some agreement there.

Reaction Score
What I am saying is that the current system and regular season for football is massively profitable.

Folks have voted with their eyeballs and the media pays for those eyeballs.

The basketball regular season much less so.... if it is as sweet, the media bees don't know it.

The basketball post season is mainly the attraction...

The main problem with the basketball post season is that the NCAA gets their hands on the money....if, like football, the schools separated the NCAA from the golden goose, things would be different. Programs would have more of the money. IN 2019 the NCAA took $1.05 billion from the tournament (about 90% of their administrative funding).

Football regular season money goes mainly to the P5's from the networks and the NCAA has nothing to do with the football post season....basketball regular season money is not as valued by the networks.

Reaction Score
So you’re saying the playoff system is already meaningless for football. So a more inclusive system has the opportunity to improve it. I think we can find some agreement there.

and please abandon your gaming tactic of saying that I am saying something that I am not....it is a passive aggressive tactic...just state your beliefs and we converse from there.

CL82

Reaction Score
and please abandon your gaming tactic of saying that I am saying something that I am not....it is a passive aggressive tactic...just state your beliefs and we converse from there.
I’m just trying to understand your points, because your reasoning seems to be random. The NCAA men’s basketball format is bad for basketball, yet we have millions of viewers tuning into the games, but that’s only because no one cares about the regular season because of the format, and yet people buy gear and watch the games.

I just don’t understand why you’re so emotionally rooted to an outdated non-inclusive formula. I’m trying to understand where you’re coming from and I read your long rambling posts but in the end there a series of discordant and inconsistent themes.

CL82

Reaction Score
What I am saying is that the current system and regular season for football is massively profitable.
For some schools, absolutely but do even a majority of the schools play football turn a material profit?
Folks have voted with their eyeballs and the media pays for those eyeballs
Also agree somewhat. Basketball games are shorter in duration and have more competition so that the dilutes the viewers on any one game. It is indisputable though of that the media values football far more than basketball. They do that for a reason.

The main problem with the basketball post season is that the NCAA gets their hands on the money....if, like football, the schools separated the NCAA from the golden goose, things would be different. Programs would have more of the money. IN 2019 the NCAA took $1.05 billion from the tournament (about 90% of their administrative funding).
Fully aware of this. That’s an indication of value, no? Basketball funds all the Olympic sports for the NCAA.

Reaction Score
And I don't understand your need to force fit a basketball style tourney on a sport so completely different...

One sport has 30 games a year, the other 12....one sport has a valuable regular season, the other does not....One's regular season is also part of the playoff..the other, not really.

The national championship has never been a major driving force in football...only recently did we identify the top four teams to play...most teams are playing for conference championships, victories over rivals

And I don't understand the blindness of those who do not see that, even in basketball, the best teams win (87% of championships won by seeds #1-3)....the rest of the tourney is just window dressing.

"But oh, anyone can win it"....yeah...Like the old saw..."I wouldn't marry you if you sere the last man on earth." "So, I have a chance ?"

Reaction Score
"Fully aware of this. That’s an indication of value, no? Basketball funds all the Olympic sports for the NCAA."

Sure...but as I have said, the value is in the tourney, not the regular season...If there was value in the regular season, the media isn't paying for it...and because of the relatively few eyeballs...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom