College Football 2020: Buzz about spring football season- “Expect news to break soon” | Page 8 | The Boneyard

College Football 2020: Buzz about spring football season- “Expect news to break soon”

Reaction Score
NYC, Washington DC, etc, can not be back to normal without use of mass transit....

How long can they shut down...socially distance...how many more months?

And...if there is no workable vaccine (haven't had one for MERS yet in 18 years)....what do we do...give up attendance at sports events, give up mass transit, airplane flights, Disney and theme parks?

Reaction Score
And as Edsall noted, kids need to be on campus by July 1 to have 8 weeks to prep for the season. Not feeling great about college football in the fall right now.
Here is the deleted tweet... haven’t seen a retweet/correction so who knows...
1589314306714.png

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

This is now an issue too. Germany was one of the countries who had this the most under control. The Bundesliga is coming back this weekend. A triple increase of cases since easing of restrictions doesn't bode well for a possible CFB season.

I hope I'm wrong. I'm not turning this into a debate over COVID, don't start that. I'm staying that these people like the Alabama president, or whoever, who thinks there will be fans in the stands needs to look at other countries who are ahead of us on this timeline to realize the likely reality of what will our pace here.

Reaction Score
This virus has a legit 1% fatality rate in the general population as proven by a pork processing plant in South Dakota, approximately cases, with approximately 40 deaths.

Humans are much less willing to take risks with death these days than in the past, based on economic development throughout the world.

These 2 factors do not go together well because it'll wipe out economic development for people in the wrong places. But not going there.

Reaction Score
Have to see if this a a power play for more public health/safety resources or not...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hmmm, wonder if there are one or two big time players now toying to portal out of the PAC-12 to the SEC. The SEC is going to play this fall even if its just themselves....they just dont care. I'm semi-serious about the SEC playing...less serious about the portal...but its not out of the realm.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

It's interesting because some of those likely to play have schools in heavier hit areas. Will the AAC allow Temple to not play? What about Cincy or Navy? I don't have the exact numbers on Maryland and Ohio but I recall them being high. Will be intriguing to see how that plays out.

Reaction Score
According to Dennis Dodd...this is the listing of the individual universities plans for opening for in person instrucrion in fall...

Reaction Score
The private universities will see financial pressure to return to face to face instruction...

Example....How many parents want to pony up the $53,000 annual tution to Miami for online coursework?

Reaction Score
I think the announcement by Cal system is the beginning - can’t see there being a season. Feel for the players.

Reaction Score
I think the announcement by Cal system is the beginning - can’t see there being a season. Feel for the players.

The Cal System only includes 3 FBS programs...all in the MWC

The system has five branches that compete in Division I football, including three at the highest (FBS) level: Fresno State, San Diego State and San Jose State. All three are members of the 12-team Mountain West Conference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

This is now an issue too. Germany was one of the countries who had this the most under control. The Bundesliga is coming back this weekend. A triple increase of cases since easing of restrictions doesn't bode well for a possible CFB season.

I hope I'm wrong. I'm not turning this into a debate over COVID, don't start that. I'm staying that these people like the Alabama president, or whoever, who thinks there will be fans in the stands needs to look at other countries who are ahead of us on this timeline to realize the likely reality of what will our pace here.
I think it is too soon to say whether that number is actually a case of the rate of infection increasing, but it is something to keep an eye on.

Reaction Score

The Cal System only includes 3 FBS programs...all in the MWC

The system has five branches that compete in Division I football, including three at the highest (FBS) level: Fresno State, San Diego State and San Jose State. All three are members of the 12-team Mountain West Conference.
At least provide the link to where the quote came from:

Reaction Score
The county by county differences vary greatly in the US (based on mainly on rural vs metro)...here where I am...there are 4 active positive cases in the county (25,000 population). My brother lives across the lake from Clemson...just one reported positive in his county....

Reaction Score
I just think this is first domino to fall that will cause no football in the fall - I think other schools will be following suit. I guess in theory a conference where all schools are open can still play conference games?

Reaction Score
While no hard decisions have to be made yet...some schools have announced that they are making plans to resume on campus instruction in the fall...but decisions will not be made for a month..

Maryland
Georgia
Alabama
Arizona State
Baylor
Texas
Texas A&M
FIU
FSU
Iowa and Iowa State
Kansas State
LSU
Marshall
NC State
NYU
Northwestern
Ohio State
Oklahoma Stat
Oregon State
and on...

Reaction Score
While no hard decisions have to be made yet...some schools have announced that they are making plans to resume on campus instruction in the fall...but decisions will not be made for a month..

Maryland
Georgia
Alabama
Arizona State
Baylor
Texas
Texas A&M
FIU
FSU
Iowa and Iowa State
Kansas State
LSU
Marshall
NC State
NYU
Northwestern
Ohio State
Oklahoma Stat
Oregon State
and on...
NYU - LOL

Reaction Score
NYU - LOL

Yep...I thought it odd that Dodds reported them as planning to open...

But the NYU site says...

NYU is proceeding on the basis that it will resume in-person operations in New York City for the fall semester, cognizant though we are of challenges and changed circumstances caused by the coronavirus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom