College Football 2020: Buzz about spring football season- “Expect news to break soon” | Page 9 | The Boneyard

College Football 2020: Buzz about spring football season- “Expect news to break soon”

Reaction Score
The Cal System only includes 3 FBS programs...all in the MWC

The system has five branches that compete in Division I football, including three at the highest (FBS) level: Fresno State, San Diego State and San Jose State. All three are members of the 12-team Mountain West Conference.
Yeah but LA County ain’t opening until August at best. There goes USC and UCLA. I’m not seeing Washington or Oregon but if you do ok. Michigan and Michigan State? I don’t know about that. OhioState? Governor has indicated no crowds over 50 or something Until after summer. So can’t even meet with your whole team. The SEC is playing. Unless they are shamed into not doing so. Or people die walking into the stadium.

Reaction Score
Yeah but LA County ain’t opening until August at best. There goes USC and UCLA. I’m not seeing Washington or Oregon but if you do ok. Michigan and Michigan State? I don’t know about that. OhioState? Governor has indicated no crowds over 50 or something Until after summer. So can’t even meet with your whole team. The SEC is playing. Unless they are shamed into not doing so. Or people die walking into the stadium.

I have no opinion...just reporting what Dodd says...

Reaction Score
I think that we will have a hodge podge of educational strategies at the Uni level....and maybe a hodgepodge of football playing.

We'll know more about how that shakes out in July. Some programs will play without fans, if needed to, in order to continue to receive the tens of millions in media contract funds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the majority of students are taking virtual classes, but there are still some students on campus like research students, labs, etc, that could fulfill the "open campus" requirement we've been hearing about from all these Presidents to have a football season. So I wouldn't count out the CA schools just yet.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
There's this. Take it for what it's worth.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Yeah but Alabama is shopping for a replacement so there’s that. I am not sure what will be worse. starting the season then having to shut it down or postponing until March. I think shutting it down will be pretty bad though

Reaction Score

This is now an issue too. Germany was one of the countries who had this the most under control. The Bundesliga is coming back this weekend. A triple increase of cases since easing of restrictions doesn't bode well for a possible CFB season.

I hope I'm wrong. I'm not turning this into a debate over COVID, don't start that. I'm staying that these people like the Alabama president, or whoever, who thinks there will be fans in the stands needs to look at other countries who are ahead of us on this timeline to realize the likely reality of what will our pace here.
Yeah, that's a bit of a twist there... The 357 number was an anomaly and 933 was normal. We've been steadily declining but for some reason Sundays and Mondays have a big dip and then climb again during the week. But that wouldn't trigger the headline that was desired.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's a bit of a twist there... The 357 number was an anomaly and 933 was normal. We've been steadily declining but for some reason Sundays and Mondays have a big dip and then climb again during the week. But that wouldn't trigger the headline that was desired.
I think you can attribute the lower weekend numbers / higher mid week numbers to reduced testing/reporting/processing on weekends.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
That's good to know. Appreciate the clarification. I'd much rather know it's a shock headline than the actual truth. Good to see things are still under control.

Looking forward to some Bundesliga this weekend

Reaction Score
I think you can attribute the lower weekend numbers / higher mid week numbers to reduced testing/reporting/processing on weekends.
That's what I figured but I didn't want to make a statement without proof.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That's what I figured but I didn't want to make a statement without proof.
Data kind of speaks for itself - no? Some of the news stories and/or Lamont quotes have mentioned that weekend data collection influences the numbers.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Colorado State is talking about playing some D2 games if need be in the state this year in order to build out a full schedule. Maybe this is the excuse we need to finally play Yale again.

Would also be kind of cool to play against New Haven and/or CCSU/Southern Conn, Sacred Heart

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Colorado State is talking about playing some D2 games if need be in the state this year in order to build out a full schedule. Maybe this is the excuse we need to finally play Yale again.

Would also be kind of cool to play against New Haven and/or CCSU/Southern Conn, Sacred Heart
Gulp. Scary in ways I don't want to fully acknowledge.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What's your temperature right now?

Reaction Score
"We are going into this year with the anticipation of playing, at this point in time," Swofford said in a video teleconference with the media. "Most all of our institutions are indicating that they intend to open, in various fashions, as we go into the fall. But there's a lot that can happen between now and then."

"Testing is going to be critical for us to get back to play," Swofford said, adding that the colleges will try to learn from what professional sports leagues do this summer. He and other conference commissioners actually participated in a conference call last week with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to discuss options.

Reaction Score
In Florida...a state university is limited, by law, to a $200,000 max liability. And that is covered by insurance.

If a jury grants a higher award...it can not be paid. The State Legislature must file and pass a specfic bill directing payment to the particular claimant.

Reaction Score
Big 12 commish on how CFB may look without COVID-19 vaccine

>>With the NCAA stating earlier this week that it would not mandate a uniform return to athletics, speculation has surfaced that some conferences -- and not just for football -- could resume competition earlier than others. And as of Friday, it would seem as if the Big 12 Conference is leaning towards the route of eventually navigating through the virus rather than keeping play suspended until a treatment is found. Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby, during an appearance on AM 1300 The Zone in Austin, said that learning how to safely "co-exist" may be required in order a football season to be held this coming school year, assuming no vaccine is developed in time.

"It will be very expensive to test with regularity ... we're going to have to find ways to co-exist with (the virus) and this is likely to be a bumpy road for the next 24 months or so," Bowlsby said during the interview. "We should expect that there will be disruptions. There may be a day where we find out we have an outbreak in the locker room or on the campus and we're not just going to be able to play the game on Saturday and we'll have to cancel it."<<

>>There are just so many unknowns ... I'm up to two pages on a legal pad of questions that cannot be answered right now ... If we're not back participating in football preparation by somewhere around mid-July, we're probably going to have to implement some the scenarios we've been working on to delay the season a bit."<<

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
All of these adults are doing the talking but what about the actual kids who are putting their lives at risk? I know they aren't professional athletes but let's be honest, they basically are minus the money. I wonder where they stand in regards to going out there and "navigating through the virus" and dealing with an outbreak in a locker room......a locker room.....let that set in. A room of 80 kids exposed to a deadly virus just so some old guys can pound their chests and say "look at us! We spit in the face of this virus and will play knowing we'll have issues we'll deal with! Heck, I'm not out there, thank god!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom