College Coaching Carousel - Version 2017 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

College Coaching Carousel - Version 2017

Reaction Score
Wow. That's an amazing reaction to the fan reaction.
"Last year, Tennessee reached a $2.48 million settlement of a federal lawsuit brought by a group of women who sued the school for the way it handled their allegations of sexual assaults by student-athletes. The suit alleged that the school violated Title IX regulations and created a 'hostile sexual environment' through a policy of indifference toward assaults by student-athletes."
Tennessee's lawsuit was not the same situation as Penn State University and particularly specific PSU administrative leaders, Joe Paterno, Greg Schiano, et al covering up Sandusky's pedophile sexual assaults. However, some Tennessee board members, administrative leaders, politicians, etc. may have conveniently found another compelling reason not to hire Shady than only his limited head coaching success, possible cultural disconnects, etc.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
For some reason I feel a little bad for Schiano. Tennessee has done themselves no favors. Is Lane Kiffen next up, I sure hope so.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We are moving closer to a point where the P5 universities are merely pass throughs for the tv money destine for football coaching staffs, both current and former and sometimes, twice removed staffs. Yes I am exaggerating.....a bit.

Reaction Score
I guess Burton didn't donate enough $$ to get to have a say at Uconn like Jimmy Haslam does at Tennessee. I find it funny how you don't see the RU fan base running to his defense about Schiano being a "good coach". He turned that program from a perennial loser to competitive and got NJ kids to stay home for the first time ever...BUT he quickly hit a ceiling, played OC and starting QB roulette every year (see Mike Tell, Tom Savage and Chase Rettig as examples 1, 2 and 3). My impression of this would-be hire was uninspiring, and a career killer for the AD.

Reaction Score
I guess Burton didn't donate enough $$ to get to have a say at Uconn like Jimmy Haslam does at Tennessee. I find it funny how you don't see the RU fan base running to his defense about Schiano being a "good coach". He turned that program from a perennial loser to competitive and got NJ kids to stay home for the first time ever...BUT he quickly hit a ceiling, played OC and starting QB roulette every year (see Mike Tell, Tom Savage and Chase Rettig as examples 1, 2 and 3). My impression of this would-be hire was uninspiring, and a career killer for the AD.
Schiano and Edsall are the same guy coaching wise. They're in the Dan Mason, Al Groh line of coaches. They're never gonna excite a fan base. You won't be terrible, you won't be great.

If you've been as bad as we have been the last 7 years, they'd be like a glass of cold water in the desert. People mocl Tennessee, but prior to this year they had back to back 9-4, records under Butch Jones. You don't fire a guy like that to replace him with a guy whose ceiling is likely 9-4, and think your fans are going to be giddy with excitement. Same thing with Randy at Maryland.

Reaction Score
Schiano and Edsall are the same guy coaching wise. They're in the Dan Mason, Al Groh line of coaches. They're never gonna excite a fan base. You won't be terrible, you won't be great.

If you've been as bad as we have been the last 7 years, they'd be like a glass of cold water in the desert. People mocl Tennessee, but prior to this year they had back to back 9-4, records under Butch Jones. You don't fire a guy like that to replace him with a guy whose ceiling is likely 9-4, and think your fans are going to be giddy with excitement. Same thing with Randy at Maryland.

I prefer Edsall over Schiano any day though.. Edsall is proven to get the most out of kids abilities at this level.. We didn't see this until we lost him to MD. The 2 guys that replaced him didn't.

Reaction Score
I thought Sumlin was headed to ASU?
That has been floated on twitter....ASU AD is on record as hoping to keep OC and DC. That has the makings of a complete disaster..worse than in Knoxville.

Reaction Score

Couldn't disagree more

But I will consent that their 2002-2009 arc have parallels. The Rutgers job and the UConn job have parallels; for entirely different reasons. It was a great rivalry - in my mind. Looked forward to playing them. But ... I don't think I saw Schiano's teams when I watch Edsall NOR the contra. Because of different Universities and different States, both were a good fit for their institutional challenges at that moment.

I do see Schiano as a slick sales guy ... that found a nice niche there. A little more urban and open to bend; which was entirely fitting. As many are writing: he enforced kids caring about class. He stoked a very tough fan base - better than HCRE. His game tactics? I thought he was odd.

And YES ... while burned in the last 24 hours, he's better off not wearing that Orange.

Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more

But I will consent that their 2002-2009 arc have parallels. The Rutgers job and the UConn job have parallels; for entirely different reasons. It was a great rivalry - in my mind. Looked forward to playing them. But ... I don't think I saw Schiano's teams when I watch Edsall NOR the contra. Because of different Universities and different States, both were a good fit for their institutional challenges at that moment.

I do see Schiano as a slick sales guy ... that found a nice niche there. A little more urban and open to bend; which was entirely fitting. As many are writing: he enforced kids caring about class. He stoked a very tough fan base - better than HCRE. His game tactics? I thought he was odd.

And YES ... while burned in the last 24 hours, he's better off not wearing that Orange.
Not saying their twins. They're program builders who get you to a baseline level of competency. Both under took massive building jobs and did really great work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom