College basketball discussion 12.4-12.10 2018 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

College basketball discussion 12.4-12.10 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A couple of things.

First, the sagarin ratings are pretty close to steady state now. You can see evidence that preseason estimates are not included very much anymore. The impact from those preseason ratings will drop to zero once everyone reaches 9 games played. But we are close enough for the Sagarins to be meaningful now. And, as of right now, we are light years ahead of last year but still not an NCAA tournament team. This is where I hoped we would be in Hurley's first year. Moving up with more work to do. I'm good with that!

Second, the Buffalo coach is very very good. I would have been happy with that guy as well. I just hope he stays there or leaves before nosepicker retires. The thought of him at Syracuse upsets me...or Puke...or Kentucky...or UNC.....

Reaction Score
Speaking of NMSU basketball, Jemerrio Jones is a heck of a player and good to see him doing well in the G-League. Love how a guy at 6'5 175 can rebound as well as him.

G-League per-game stats: 8.6p, 10.2r, 3.7a, 1.9s, 1.4b in 27.4 minutes.

One of my favorites. Guy just out hustles everyone and just has an incredible sense on where a missed shot is going to end up. His one weakness is his jump shot.

Another guy who NMSU produced is Pascal Siakam. I’d love for Akok to model his game after Siakam. Easily the most improved player in the NBA this season

Reaction Score
One of my favorites. Guy just out hustles everyone and just has an incredible sense on where a missed shot is going to end up. His one weakness is his jump shot.

Another guy who NMSU produced is Pascal Siakam. I’d love for Akok to model his game after Siakam. Easily the most improved player in the NBA this season
Didn't realize Siakam is an NMSU alum. Fun guy to watch.

However, I don't see the comparables to Akok. Akok is a stretch-4 who blocks shots. Siakam neither hits 3 or blocks shots but like Jones he has a great motor and has a nose for the boards.

Reaction Score
He’s been a much better 3 point shooter compared to his previous two years. I believe he’s shooting around 34% this year. His shot blocking is probably average, he had a nice block on Durant a couple of nights ago.

Reaction Score
A couple of things.

First, the sagarin ratings are pretty close to steady state now. You can see evidence that preseason estimates are not included very much anymore. The impact from those preseason ratings will drop to zero once everyone reaches 9 games played. But we are close enough for the Sagarins to be meaningful now. And, as of right now, we are light years ahead of last year but still not an NCAA tournament team. This is where I hoped we would be in Hurley's first year. Moving up with more work to do. I'm good with that!

Second, the Buffalo coach is very very good. I would have been happy with that guy as well. I just hope he stays there or leaves before nosepicker retires. The thought of him at Syracuse upsets me...or Puke...or Kentucky...or UNC.....

I think Oats leaves before Boeheim retires but it would make a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
I’m an NMSU alum so I can answer this. I believe this rivalry and agreement came into play years ago. Fan sentiment will never allow this to be anything but a home and home every year.

Vance Jackson still the same player. Got rejected at the rim once and never really tried to get into the lane again. Took a good amount of contested shots and missed some badly. When left alone, he drained a couple of threes. He cannot handle the ball, at all.

100-65. Love it!

Hopefully Chris Jans hangs around for a while - he knows basketball. I'm sure he's going to be on more folks radar in the near future.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Radford won at Notre Dame and Texas and then goes and gets dumped at James Madison.

Miami is absolute garbage. UMass is absolute garbage. Alabama is absolute garbage.

West Virginia and Florida played a game so ugly that banning the sport from those two states seems reasonable. Emmitt Matthews isn’t very good - yet. He needs a couple of years.

Juwan Durham occasionally looks great for Notre Dame.

pj

Reaction Score

This is where I hoped to be in early December ... but expect to be much better by March. We have had key players out. Once Sid is integrated, Diarra and Whaley are back and maybe Akok can play, Alterique gets used to the college game, the players get used to Hurley and used to executing together, we could improve quite a bit.

The difference between #80, where we are now in Sagarin, and #45 which should make the tourney, is 4 ppg. You can't tell me we won't improve by at least 4 ppg over the next few months.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
good games on tonight

Hartford at Duke
VCU at Texas
Oklahoma at Tulsa
Temple at Villanova

Reaction Score
Grand Canyon and Seattle have vastly improved. Going to be a battle for the top spot this year.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Temple-Nova on now. Close early.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Temple up 33-26 in the second half @ Villanova on FS1

Reaction Score
Watching Texas VCU come down to the wire. Texas looks pretty bad. Kerwin Roach 0 for 10. Seems like Shaka Smart never lives up to expectations over there.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Tulsa beats Oklahoma State 74-71 and Tulane Beats UT Martin 87-74

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Watching Texas VCU come down to the wire. Texas looks pretty bad. Kerwin Roach 0 for 10. Seems like Shaka Smart never lives up to expectations over there.
VCU has a very good squad this year. They’re going to win the A-10.

Reaction Score
Yikes SMU fans want there coach fired badly. Has some Ollie vibes to it.

Reaction Score
Bill Walton surely is commentating only on the game
If you get the volume just right, you can hear Shulman or whoever the lead guy is clear and can't pick up anything that Walton's saying.

Reaction Score
If you get the volume just right, you can hear Shulman or whoever the lead guy is clear and can't pick up anything that Walton's saying.
He’s off the rails today. I can’t look away

Reaction Score
Temple loses, as does SMU, though neither of these are that big of a surprise. Temple winning would have been good for the conference, though.

Reaction Score
Only saw them once (last night) but I thought Temple looked good. Fearless guard play and a big guy w strength and some skills. They busted their ass on Defense and the boards. They arent amazing but if you were a fan of that school it is the type of team you’d enjoy rooting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom