Cole....Defense? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Cole....Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tell me what he did wrong??? He doesn’t get the ball our guards don’t create. He rebounded hard, he played good D even after 2 very fast 2 could. Help me understand how you could focus on him after this loss?

1-6 from the floor, couldn’t finish anything around the rim, lost loose balls, maybe just the drop out of bounds frustrated me but he didn’t impress me at all today.

Reaction Score
Cole choked on the ft's but I'm not going to kill him for that, it's happened to far better players than him. He needs to realize he's not at Howard anymore and needs to take what the defense gives him instead of jacking wild threes and taking on the D throwing up wild stuff at the rim but he's pressing because we need a second scorer. Take the open shot and look to probe and dish more. He did totally shut down Zegarowski. Gaffney is frustrating because it looks like he'll never come out of his shell.

Reaction Score
Think you need Whaley as your 2nd option. This shouldn’t be a question.

Reaction Score
This is a really disappointing loss, but it's wrong to put it all on RJ Cole. YES he shot the ball poorly, YES he missed 2 free throws to ice the game, BUT he also played great defense.

Jalen Gaffney contributed nothing.

Tyrese Martin had no offense, and apparently can't hold onto the ball?

Brendan Adam's was just running up and down the court.

What's up with Andre Jackson not even looking at the hoop to score?

Outside of Bouk's amazing play this team played extremely poorly on the offensive side of the ball.

Granted, I think this was a gritty game that we should have won, and will win down the line. We're gonna have a big run in March - when it matters - and if it takes till then to gain respect around the NCAA, so be it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Scary to think of this team next year without Bouk.

Nobody played well except Bouk, but the loss still falls on Cole. Of course, I’m sure he will have better games. But I think it’s obvious that he’s not going to be the 1B to Bouk’s 1A.

Reaction Score
1-6 from the floor, couldn’t finish anything around the rim, lost loose balls, maybe just the drop out of bounds frustrated me but he didn’t impress me at all today.

The loose balls were him trying to gain possession on his own fighting for rebounds and loose balls these weren’t delivered passes for easy lay ins. Crap take ( back to RI ) on a guy who played hard.

Reaction Score
Granted, I think this was a gritty game that we should have won, and will win down the line. We're gonna have a big run in March - when it matters - and if it takes till then go gain respect around the NCAA, so be it.

love the positivity and agree we will have a big run in March, I think. But is anyone sick of “we will win these ones down the line”? I want to win these....now....

Reaction Score
The loose balls were him trying to gain possession on his own fighting for rebounds and loose balls these weren’t delivered passes for easy lay ins. Crap take ( back to RI ) on a guy who played hard.

fair enough

Reaction Score
El amin makes both of those FT's...just sayin'.
WHat da f is the point here? Does he have eligibility left? I could name 50 ex players that would’ve made both. It’s the first game in 14 days. His first big moment as a Husky and I’m sure it will be remembered for 20 yrs here. It’s how he bounces back and performs the rest of his games that will determine if he’s a winner or not. Not the third game and being compared to one of our best’s ever.

Reaction Score
Really? Garbage take?

The post was about DEFENSE.

Preseason BE POY was 4-14, 1-8 from 3.

Cole was on him the majority of the game.

Say what you want about him O, but dude D’d up (up until the last few possessions)

Foot in mouth.
My bad - had multiple threads open in different tabs and posted in the wrong one :(

Reaction Score
Ok, Cole played some good D today. But overall, I am not impressed. He takes bad shots, takes too many of them, and isn’t the leader we need running point. He needs to get better quick.
He is exactly what one would expect of a small guard who played in the MEAC. While I think the Big East is overrated, it is eons above the MEAC and Coles is doing exactly what I thought he would do. He won’t be a scorer and he isn’t a big East caliber point or defender.

Reaction Score
He is exactly what one would expect of a small guard who played in the MEAC. While I think the Big East is overrated, it is eons above the MEAC and Coles is doing exactly what I thought he would do. He won’t be a scorer and he isn’t a big East caliber point or defender.
He just completely locked up the preseason Big East player of the year, go away.

Reaction Score
He just completely locked up the preseason Big East player of the year, go away.
Yeah except when it counted. You are just pissed because the guy you thought would save the program turns out to be decidedly average at best.

Reaction Score
Thought Cole was a table setter? Looks like he just wants to score. Killed us today.

We heard endlessly what a great passer he is, even from the team, all through the past year and this year's preseason, yet he hasn't shown it..................yet.
Next game, whenever that might be, would be a good time for him to become the great passer/facilitator we need.

Reaction Score
Doesn't necessarily excuse his poor shooting in the 1st half, but I personally give a pass to Cole for some of the OT shots. Could tell at the start of OT he blamed himself for missing those FTs and I think he really started to press and force shots trying to make up for it

Reaction Score
pg play is a big weakness. can rahsool declare early?

When we hear DH talk, repeatedly, about needing toughness and grit, I wonder if he feels neither RJ or JG has what it takes to be the leader. He's praised "Philly toughness" when talking about Rahsool and I have to believe he's looking at Corey Floyd Jr. as another guard that would fit the profile he wants in his guards.

Reaction Score
Doesn't necessarily excuse his poor shooting in the 1st half, but I personally give a pass to Cole for some of the OT shots. Could tell at the start of OT he blamed himself for missing those FTs and I think he really started to press and force shots trying to make up for it
Do you have freescooter on ignore? He's embarrassing himself even more than usual.

Reaction Score
Do you have freescooter on ignore? He's embarrassing himself even more than usual.
I did have him on ignore until recently, might be time to put him back. This is even worse than usual because I think he might actually believe what he's saying this time

Reaction Score
Everybody take a breath. It’s only December. Give these guys a chance.

In only our fourth game of the season, after a 17 day layoff, playing the #9 team, in its eighth game. All those are valid issues, that surely affected the outcome, but it sure is sobering to look at the box score and see how little so many contributed.
This game brought me back to early last year when we were giving games away and hopefully the year will evolve as it did last year..............if we can actually play some games.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
You have blinders on. What he's saying makes sense. Cole should be benched - maybe Hurley will light a fire under him.

Reaction Score
You have blinders on. What he's saying makes sense. Cole should be benched - maybe Hurley will light a fire under him.
You won't get any argument from anyone if you say Cole needs to play better. Saying he can't play at this level is an insane statement to make after 4 games. You want Cole benched so I'll ask you think, who should we play at PG instead?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
You won't get any argument from anyone if you say Cole needs to play better. Saying he can't play at this level is an insane statement to make after 4 games. You want Cole benched so I'll ask you think, who should we play at PG instead?
When I say "benched," I mean for one game - temporarily. I don't mean permanently. This should be assumed since I followed it up with "it will light a fire under him." This means he will be benched to prove a point, and then be reinserted. I played sports all through HS, and a bout in college (D-3) - I've seen it done and it can work wonders. It happened to me. Also, this ain't Howard, and it damn sure ain't St. Anthony's. I will give Cole point for his NJ Devils tattoo though - love it.

Reaction Score
When I say "benched," I mean for one game - temporarily. I don't mean permanently. This should be assumed since I followed it up with "it will light a fire under him." This means he will be benched to prove a point, and then be reinserted. I played sports all through HS, and a bout in college (D-3) - I've seen it done and it can work wonders. It happened to me.
Of course, I get you want him benched only temporarily to try and light a fire. I repeat my question, when he's benched who do you propose we play at PG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom