Cochran to Start Saturday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cochran to Start Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
FCS. Kid is competitor. My guess is he will participate in spring ball then read the tea leaves on the situation.
I doubt Whitmer transfers his senior year. Chances are he will be in the thick of the quarterback competition, as the new coach is likely not to play favorites given the way this season is going. By the time a QB is selected, it will be fall ball and anywhere he does go, he will be at the bottom of the depth chart if anything because other QBs know the playbook.

Besides, what school gives him the opportunity to start AND also provides a degree from a prestigious public school. He's not doing one without the other.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So Boyle wasn't locked in for 4 years?

Reaction Score
Why? Does he have somewhere else to go? He can't afford to lose any more eligibility. And given the dumpster fire of our offense, chances are he'll get another shot at some point.

I'm assuming that he graduates, or is very close at the end of the spring semester. With a new staff coming in......after being leapfrogged this year by younger kids.......I'm not saying he won't be here. I'm saying I'll be stunned.

Reaction Score
SMU puts up a lot of points but their D is bad. This is a good opportunity for Cochran to get some points and build confidence for the first W of the year (vs. Temple).

Happy to see Cochran get a well deserved shot.. I think he'll be fine... Wouldn't it be a b***h if we start clicking with him under center? (3rd time's a charm)... I know I know, wishful thinking...but, you never know...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Isn't fair to say that Whitmer is still the best QB on the roster?

Reaction Score
At a minimum it is fair to say he's the only one who has won a college game. I still would like to see him with a little bit of a running game. And an offensive coordinator that doesn't panic down 4 points.

Reaction Score

Don't you want to see Cochran start at least one game before making this declaration?

In the small sample we have seen of Casey he gets the ball out quicker than Whitmer and throws the ball from a higher angle so it is less likely to be batted down.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm assuming that he graduates, or is very close at the end of the spring semester. With a new staff coming in......after being leapfrogged this year by younger kids.......I'm not saying he won't be here. I'm saying I'll be stunned.

I'm curious why you think this? Whitmer did not have the benefit of a redshirt year and in all likelihood, his credits did not transfer 100% from JC. Aside from a few examples (i.e. Emeka Okafor, Donald Brown), athletes use summer school to catch up, not pull ahead of schedule. My guess is he needs every bit of his 7th and 8th scholastic semesters to graduate. Again, just a guess based on what I know is incomplete info.

Reaction Score
I'm curious why you think this? Whitmer did not have the benefit of a redshirt year and in all likelihood, his credits did not transfer 100% from JC. Aside from a few examples (i.e. Emeka Okafor, Donald Brown), athletes use summer school to catch up, not pull ahead of schedule. My guess is he needs every bit of his 7th and 8th scholastic semesters to graduate. Again, just a guess based on what I know is incomplete info.

After this year he will have spent 1 year at Illinois, 2 years in JUCO, and 2 years at UConn.

Again, this is just my personal opinion that he won't be back this year.

Husky25

Reaction Score
After this year he will have spent 1 year at Illinois, 2 years in JUCO, and 2 years at UConn.

Again, this is just my personal opinion that he won't be back this year.
1 year at Butler CC, not 2.

Reaction Score
I could see Whitmer leaving to a FCS team with a real chance to start during his senior year.[/quote
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Can Whitmore transfer and play his senior year right away due to a new coach like basketball does? Oriachki? (spelling)

Husky25

Reaction Score
My bad.

No issues. We both have opinions based on imperfect info.

If he doesn't need the college credit, I wouldn't be surprised if he just left the team entirely and enters an industry using his major field of study. I think we can agree that he is the longest of longshots to play professionally (Though Matt Cassell didn't start a game at USC and he's still in the League) and if he's not starting for UConn, he's also a longshot to start anywhere else with limited knowledge of their playbook. I don't think a RS senior transfers just to play at a lower level school.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Oriaki was able to play right away because of UConn's post season ban covered the remainder of Oriaki's eligibility, not the change in head coach.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with the level of opponent.

CW was benched for throwing to many picks (decision making) and taking too many sacks (not entirely his fault).

TB was benched because he wasn't accurate enough, threw too many interceptions (accuracy, decision making) and took two many sacks (not making the progressions). He's a true freshman and can improve at everything, though the inability to throw the ball where he wants to is of.concern for his future.

CC will have the same problems, but maybe he can handle the pressure and avoid the rush better.

Don't be shocked if CW is your starter next year. I think he's a lock to beat out Boyle and we'll see how well Casey does with his opportunity.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Oriaki was able to play right away because of UConn's post season ban covered the remainder of Oriaki's eligibility, not the change in head coach.

Yes, and Whitmer transferring would be more akin to that kid from GW playing for the Huskies in bball last year. Transfers as a graduate student.

Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with the level of opponent.

CW was benched for throwing to many picks (decision making) and taking too many sacks (not entirely his fault).

TB was benched because he wasn't accurate enough, threw too many interceptions (accuracy, decision making) and took two many sacks (not making the progressions). He's a true freshman and can improve at everything, though the inability to throw the ball where he wants to is of.concern for his future.

CC will have the same problems, but maybe he can handle the pressure and avoid the rush better.

Don't be shocked if CW is your starter next year. I think he's a lock to beat out Boyle and we'll see how well Casey does with his opportunity.
I agree with all of this and I could actually see a scenario where Whitmer is indeed the starter or one where some other JUCO arrives possibly to replace him and starts. Boyle has accuracy issues that worry me a lot. Especially his tendency to throw the ball high. That is one problem that is often difficult to overcome I think. I have to admit I never thought too much of Cochran based on the little I saw of him (1 high school game and a couple of blue-whites) but he has looked far superior to Boyle in his limited duty so far so I hope my evaluation is wrong.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yes, and Whitmer transferring would be more akin to that kid from GW playing for the Huskies in bball last year. Transfers as a graduate student.
Much easier to do in basketball. Of course Whitmer would be eligible to play right away if UConn doesn't offer his graduate field of study (e.g. Robbie Frey), but being a QB he probably would not start, which is the supposed reason to transfer in the first place. Robbie Frey was able to play right away because it doesn't take too much time to learn the back's portion of the play call. The QB has to know everyone else's assignment.

Yes, chances are that the new coaching staff installs a brand new offense with new terminology, but everyone on the team is learning it. If Whitmer were to go somewhere else, he's not only behind the 8-ball in forming a connection with his new teammates, he doesn't know the terminology the other players are already used to.

Reaction Score
I'm no expert and I know there's a good chance I'm wrong, but I think Casey is going to continue to do well. He is super smart and he's been coached and trained his whole life by a great football coach (his dad).

As TJ said today, he's a hard worker, studies tons of film and most importantly, he remains calm and composed at all times.

I want all of our guys to do well and I certainly want Tim and Chandler to succeed. However, a football team can only have one QB at a time and as of today, Casey deserves his chance. If he isn't an improvement, all the guys can battle for the job again next year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I look forward to Boyle entering a blowout late and scoring a meaningless touchdown against someone's second-unit.

That should rehabilitate his image completely here.

At this point, my hope is that TJ leaves campus before he manages to alienate every quarterback on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom