COBRA Kai | The Boneyard

COBRA Kai

Reaction Score
Anyone else watch this? I've caught the two free episodes on YouTube Red and it was surprisingly good. It's a reboot of Karate Kid with Johnny and Daniel as adults, with the two original actors. It was written by the same guys who did Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. Without giving up too much, basically 30 years later Johnny is a drunk loser, and Daniel is a successful car dealership owner.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Anyone else watch this? I've caught the two free episodes on YouTube Red and it was surprisingly good. It's a reboot of Karate Kid with Johnny and Daniel as adults, with the two original actors. It was written by the same guys who did Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. Without giving up too much, basically 30 years later Johnny is a drunk loser, and Daniel is a successful car dealership owner.

Was gonna post this too. Watched the first episode and I'm all in.

You can get a month free of Youtube Red if you want to finish the series. Or there's always torrents...

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Was gonna post this too. Watched the first episode and I'm all in.

You can get a month free of Youtube Red if you want to finish the series. Or there's always torrents...

I'll almost certainly do this.

I just can't help these follow up shows and stuff like that from the 80s and 90s.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'll almost certainly do this.

I just can't help these follow up shows and stuff like that from the 80s and 90s.

This one is actually good too. Which is a bonus.

the Q

Reaction Score
This one is actually good too. Which is a bonus.

How dare you....

And I dont even know which show you’re making fun of.

Reaction Score
It was pretty good. I could have done with a few less easter egg type things. Youtube red has zero content, though. They'll have to make many more shows like this to ever have me consider signing up

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I've watched the first episode and a 1/2 the second.

Without giving up too much, basically 30 years later Johnny is a drunk loser, and Daniel is a successful car dealership owner.

By all accounts (i.e. trailers on regular YouTube.), Johnny will successfully re-open the Cobra Kai dojo.

Re: Danielsan, is he really successful? He sells cars for crying out loud. Consequences, I suppose, of blowing his college fund on a trip to Okinawa, opening up a Bonsai Tree shop without anything approaching a business plan, and the deep-seeded desire to needlessly defend the All-Valley Karate Championship against the original wishes of his Sensei (while being duped by Sensei Kreese and his Viet Nam War buddy, Terry.).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've watched the first episode and a 1/2 the second.

By all accounts (i.e. trailers on regular YouTube.), Johnny will successfully re-open the Cobra Kai dojo.

Re: Danielsan, is he really successful? He sells cars for crying out loud. Consequences, I suppose, of blowing his college fund on a trip to Okinawa, opening up a Bonsai Tree shop without anything approaching a business plan, and the deep-seeded desire to needlessly defend the All-Valley Karate Championship against the original wishes of his Sensei (while being duped by Sensei Kriese and his Viet Nam War buddy, Terry.).
Lol he doesn't sell cars he owns a car dealership.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed it very much. They took the old characters and continued their stories in an interesting way while introducing new characters that you actually care about. It was entertaining without forcing anything. Other franchises (Star Wars for one) could learn a thing or two about story telling from the guys who ran this show.

the Q

Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion:

Miguel brought this on himself. Robbie was the only one trying to stop the fight from breaking out. Miguel continues to escalate it and make things worse.

But most of the characters are hard to root for.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I watched the first two episodes when Youtube Red offered them for free. Now I can catch up on NetFlix.

the Q

Reaction Score
The bottom line question is this...Shue? Or no Shue? duck* LaRusso and Johnnie.

will she and Daniel even cross paths is the real question.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Made it through both seasons. Interesting and easy on the brain to watch. Like the 80's soundtracks and remakes throughout the episodes.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It is quite unrealistic, but so was Daniel going from learning Karate from a text book from the local Jersey YMCA to a Black Belt in under 7 weeks. Then beating the defending champion who did not drop a point until the final match of his title defense.

That said, I can't wait for season 3.

the Q

Reaction Score
It is quite unrealistic, but so was Daniel going from learning Karate from a text book from the local Jersey YMCA to a Black Belt in under 7 weeks. Then beating the defending champion who did not drop a point until the final match of his title defense.

That said, I can't wait for season 3.

yeah everyone gets good faster than you’d realistically expect.

even the old cobra Kai guys were too good after 35 years out of the karate game. They weren’t rusty.

but man it’s still so fun.

the Q

Reaction Score
I disagree with having Robby lose clean to Miguel.

The whole point was he needed to cheat to win.

They still could’ve told the story without it going that way.

Reaction Score
8 episodes in. Very cute, nostalgic and some good laughs. The wife loved it.

The fight scene between Robbie and his 2 crime buddies may have been the worst fight choreography I've ever seen. Probably should've used doubles.

Husky25

Reaction Score
8 episodes in. Very cute, nostalgic and some good laughs. The wife loved it.

The fight scene between Robbie and his 2 crime buddies may have been the worst fight choreography I've ever seen. Probably should've used doubles.

Robbie turns his life around on a dime just to reverse spite his Dad?

Maybe...Still, I'm hooked.

the Q

Reaction Score
Robbie turns his life around on a dime just to reverse spite his Dad?

Maybe...Still, I'm hooked.

It’s not on a dime. Think about how much time passes between episode 4 or 5 (Halloween party) and episode 10 (the tournament).

That’s October to May or so

Husky25

Reaction Score
It’s not on a dime. Think about how much time passes between episode 4 or 5 (Halloween party) and episode 10 (the tournament).

That’s October to May or so

Tournament is the third weekend of December.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My wife absolutely forbids this show getting on our tube.

Well, tonight I got the first episode on and...she laughed!!! Then we watched the second one.

Grippingly corny.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Binge watched this weekend. I really enjoyed it. As per usual, suspend your disbelief and ignore the fact that every single questionable situation gets misinterpreted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom