Cobb Suspended | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Cobb Suspended

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Jc as much as he tried had many misses too.

Jesus.

We had players smacking girls and stealing computers. Busted for buying drugs and accepting airline tickets from agents. Oh and stealing sneakers.
I could go on.

The revisionist history around here framed as a manner of Ollie bashing is sublime.

It's as if he never recruited a Nate Miles now , or Antonio Kellogg

JC often times recruited kids he believed he could mold into better people. Some worked out great, like Caron Butler, while others had not so stellar results

Hopefully Ollie can push the right buttons with Cobb. If not, we move on. It's not like there were a ton of options out there when they recruited Cobb last March

Reaction Score
He went through a divorce in 2015
Some psychologists equate divorce with death
Who knows for sure .
This is interesting and has been the subjuct of speculation and part of the reason for KO’s coaching difficulties, but remember back to KO’s introduction and press conference as coach of the Huskies. He went through a song and dance about how his wife wouldn’t give him the time of day and he had to overcome her reluctance to marry him. Ultimately he prevailed and he used the story as an illustration that he was a no quit bulldog who does not give up, does not take no for an answer and ultimately wins out.
These were the qualities that he would bring to the program and 2 seasons later who was to argue as he hoisted the trophy. If he has been depressed these are qualities that come to front and can’t be hidden no matter how hard he tries. My guess is that it’s no fun to work for or play basketball for someone going through this. ( A person who worked for me was intolerable for more than a year) Who was more strident than Jim Calhoun? Who cursed more and lashed out at players more? Yet the players liked him and didn’t hold it against. That does not seem to be the case with KO who with all his moral and religious background does not seem to engender that same loyalty.

C

Chief00

Seems crystal clear to me. And it is certainly no stretch for a guy who used his faith and family as the defining traits of his existence to be a little lost and aimless when it all fell apart.

So @upstater, I think it's a bit of both: (a) he had help from JC and Hobbs early on, and he was a stronger, more motivated person then; and (b) now that he probably needs even more help because his life is in disarray, he has removed those people and is doing it "his way".

That much is certain, KO will succeed or fail doing it his way. I can’t fault Calhoun for offering help that’s not accepted. We have all had experiences in life like that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That much is certain, KO will succeed or fail doing it his way. I can’t fault Calhoun for offering help that’s not accepted. We have all had experiences in life like that.
But we can fault him for other things, right?

C

Chief00

Chief00 - You were planning to use mercenaries to counter protesting feminists? Buying them beer? Sounds like a strategy for a riot doomed to go down in a blaze.

When you see an unbalanced injustice, sometimes you just need to take action rather than wait for someone else to step up.

Reaction Score
I agree with two of your points:
1). Nate had no business being on a college campus as a student- But, are you willing to hold all major college athletes to the same standard? There would be plenty of holes in SEC football teams if you did. Calhoun did not believe in unilateral disarmament .
2). Calhoun wanted badly to win another title - True, the dude was driven for success. No participation trophies in his house.
What SEC teams do in other sports is. utterly unrelated to what happened to Miles. He was unprepared for college in every way. Full stop. As for Calhoun’s competitiveness, it was unquestioned. Not the point though. He never would have taken a Nate Miles in the early 2000s. He began pushing the envelop after the 2006 flop. That is when the APR problems began too. Prior to that even though there was no APR as such UConn wasn’t among the bottom of the barrel in terms of grad rates and other academicmic metrics. I saw data on this that indicated starting around 2008 the sat scores of the overall student body consistently went up but that of the basketball team consistently went down.

Reaction Score
No it didn't. Shooter Flatch could have coached that team to a championship in the middle of a two week bender.

And this is exhibit #1 for how incredibly entitled and unrealistic UConn fans are.

The names of the coaches this team beat in that run are Izzo, Calipari, Donovan, Pitino, Hoiberg, Jay Wright.

If anyone could have done it, then why did the 6 coaches I listed fail to do it even though some of these teams had multiple future NBA players?

That UConn team had one NBA player on it. Such a team hasn't won an NCAA championship in eons. One could easily argue it was the least talented team to win it in eons. If just anyone can lead the least talented team to an NCAA championship, then why are we even here?

I love how the stories change post by post.

The chances that UConn would have won that championship with Shaka Smart are slim.

Reaction Score
freescooter liked your post. The guy hated the Ollie trade so much he abandoned this place in 2014!

I for one am very glad Calhoun got the university to hire Ollie. It brought us a championship.
You should know better. Ollie won a title but there is no way to say Hobbs or someone else would not have been equally or even more successful.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And this is exhibit #1 for how incredibly entitled and unrealistic UConn fans are.

The names of the coaches this team beat in that run are Izzo, Calipari, Donovan, Pitino, Hoiberg, Jay Wright.

If anyone could have done it, then why did the 6 coaches I listed fail to do it even though some of these teams had multiple future NBA players?

That UConn team had one NBA player on it. Such a team hasn't won an NCAA championship in eons. One could easily argue it was the least talented team to win it in eons. If just anyone can lead the least talented team to an NCAA championship, then why are we even here?

I love how the stories change post by post.

The chances that UConn would have won that championship with Shaka Smart are slim.
I'm sorry. I was being sarcastic. I thought my hyperbole would reveal that, but I guess the fact that it didn't is a sad statement in and of itself.

I agree with you: I believe Ollie was instrumental to that championship.

Reaction Score
No it didn't. Shooter Flatch could have coached that team to a championship in the middle of a two week bender.
This. Is crazy. Ollie coached his was off in that tournament. Using timeouts correctly against Michigan State, the Zone against Florida. You can argue he did it with Calhouns players, you can't claim that anyone could have won a national title with a 7th seeded team. That's ludicrous.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This. Is crazy. Ollie coached his was off in that tournament. Using timeouts correctly against Michigan State, the Zone against Florida. You can argue he did it with Calhouns players, you can't claim that anyone could have won a national title with a 7th seeded team. That's ludicrous.

Now that title doesn't buy hum eternal immunity. He sucks right now.
And I agree with you, too.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry. I was being sarcastic. I thought my hyperbole would reveal that, but I guess the fact that it didn't is a sad statement in and of itself.

The fact that he couldn't even tell you were being sarcastic shows how detached from reality he is.

Reaction Score
You should know better. Ollie won a title but there is no way to say Hobbs or someone else would not have been equally or even more successful.

As usual "Free BS" from you

"Balls said the Queen, if I had two I'd be King"
"%@*t said the Jack I got'em and I aint!"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fact that he couldn't even tell you were being sarcastic shows how detached from reality he is.
He is an academic at a state university who looks at who "likes" posts. He is beyond detached. He believes his own BS.

Reaction Score
He is an academic at a state university who looks at who "likes" posts. He is beyond detached. He believes his own BS.

Look who's calling BS, LOL :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Sigh. As far as flaming Ollie goes, that one doesn't even rise to the level of mildly warm these days. Yes, a I missed your tone because Jonny Fladflum is ahead of Ollie in the coaching rankings these days.

By the way, you snared noeynox too!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurgh? Say what? I know this has been said, but I never realized you people actually believe that! So which is it? Is he the guy that rode on Calhoun's exhaust fumes to a national championship? Or is he the evil genius coach who made all the right moves and then changed overnight ala Jekyll and Hyde?

Let's see. Kevin Ollie was 52-18 in his first two years as head coach and won a National Championship. He is 24-24 over the past two seasons and likely won't even make the NIT for the second straight year. You don't think his performance/effectivness has fallen off substantially? You can't really believe that.

Reaction Score

By what, winning the NBA championship of the world?

You guys take national championships for granted.

2014 was an absolute freakin' miracle!

Reaction Score
Ollie did a great job of coaching in the NCAA tournament in 2014. Not anyone could have filled in and done the same. Ollie has shown he can coach and make good decisions in games. The problem, which is a huge concern, is that it appears he has regressed instead of continued to improve as a coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom