Coaching Search Tweets & More | Page 38 | The Boneyard

Coaching Search Tweets & More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone is posting as though they know this to be true.........
This is what I don't understand. This obviously is not a good thing to have happen for UConn PR wise, so why is someone FROM UConn being the ones telling a "reporter" this.

I didn't think we were still THIS stupid in the Athletic Department

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Then Weist is not just a failure, but a abject failure. They'll be 80 people for some games next year.

Wow. That's a bold prediction.

Would you say you are confident as you were when you said that Ollie sucked?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Then Weist is not just a failure, but a abject failure. They'll be 80 people for some games next year.

Huh? Where did that come from? I think the consensus here is that there is not a huge delta on resume among any of these coaches. I am not going to get all that upset or excited at this point unless Weist leaves for another job and we have to start digging deep into the candidate pool.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe the leak from the uconn office is to get Burton to swoop in with a new grant to cover the difference. :)

Reaction Score
Huh? Where did that come from? I think the consensus here is that there is not a huge delta on resume among any of these coaches. I am not going to get all that upset or excited at this point unless Weist leaves for another job and we have to start digging deep into the candidate pool.
See my edit...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Skimping on assistants is positively Hathaway-esque (see the long list of Edsall assistants with minimal FBS experience). I cannot believe Warde would do that.

Reaction Score
Lol if the Narduzzi stuff is true, it's almost become comical how many times we've been left at the altar.

Reaction Score

Please, you are wrong - he has fans talking, not just here about the program, something that didn't happen during P's entire tenure. There's interest.

Now UCONN and Warde handled this terribly. You don't let that PN turned down the offer out. You agree on both sides that an offer was never extended. Black eye on Warde here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It sure looks like Warde leaked that story, which is interesting. Probably just showing the fan base he is trying. I don't have a problem with that.

I don't think it starts to reflect poorly on Weist until we get turned down 2 or 3 more times. At that point, Manual would have to pull the trigger on Weist. I just don't see 2 or 3 more candidates that I would want over Weist, unless Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden has been looking at real estate in eastern Connecticut, which seems unlikely.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Man, do I miss the old days, when news was reported on a daily basis with fact-checking by actual journalists, instead of by the minute, in 30 words or less...

Reaction Score
so how many failures does Warde get before we say goodbye? this is the problem he created for himself by not making any effort to change the direction of the conversation. Now the new coach will be the "2nd choice" rather than "the guy we really wanted all along."

Narduzzi: "I don't want the job."
Warde (trying to change direction of conversation): "What job? I invited you over for a cup of tea. Sorry to give you the wrong impression."
Cue music: Sad trombone

Reaction Score
In sales there's a phrase that goes like this..."So are you saying this is about the price and if we can find you the right price you'll take it today?" If the answer is yes then you find the price point and get it done.

Even if it was 1 million, you get on the phone to Burton and then get it done. It's not about the money. If he said it was, he was using it for an out.

I agree. When you look at what UConn pays asst coaches and what mid tier Big 10 schools pay, there is not much of a difference. So, if it was asst pay, the difference was maybe $500k. Both sides don't walk away from a negotiation for ~10% to 15% of the total compensation package for coaches. Either Narduzzi changed his mind or Ward got a bad vibe about Narduzzi's enthusiasm for coaching at UConn and decided not to negotiate on asst coach salaries.

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
See my edit...

If I'm Weist I'm telling WM that I'm not d!cking around and becoming 32nd fiddle to every coach out there that may be available.

And then wake up from the dream.

Dude must feel like though knowing he's the fall back boy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Please, you are wrong - he has fans talking, not just here about the program, something that didn't happen during P's entire tenure. There's interest.

Now UCONN and Warde handled this terribly. You don't let that PN turned down the offer out. You agree on both sides that an offer was never extended. Black eye on Warde here.

People have to relax. PN doesn't want the job and played Warde a bit. It happens.

Reaction Score
If I'm Weist I'm telling WM that I'm not d!cking around and becoming 32nd fiddle to every coach out there that may be available.

And then wake up from the dream.

Dude must feel like though knowing he's the fall back boy.

I'm the interim head of my department. It would represent two promotions in one for me (not too far off from TJW going from WR coach to HC in 2 years). They are interviewing people.

I am hurt, but I'm also going to accept the job if they end up deciding that I'm the best one who is interested.

Reaction Score
This is purely conjecture, but if the leaks are coming from UConn, perhaps Warde is negotiating by saying fine, I'm moving on to other highly qualified candidates that want to make $2M a year, today. You want to avoid pressuring candidates into accepting the job, but there is value in wrapping this up as soon as possible. If not, maybe it's simply an attempt to manage the message.

Reaction Score
clearly you guys have never done anything that required buy in from the public. It is critical that you make a special effort to keep expections at a rational level. It isn't easy but it also isn't impossible with some effort. Warde seems unable to control even his own people. Now people are comparing Weist favorably to:
  • A Broyles award winning assistant Head coach at one of the highest profile programs in the country
  • A head coach with a 10 year record of taking losing programs and turning them into winning programs.
  • The Offensive coordinator at another legendary program that finished 12-1 this year.
That, to me, clearly indicates the level to which this whole mess got out of control on the PR side.

Reaction Score
I'm the interim head of my department. It would represent two promotions in one for me (not too far off from TJW going from WR coach to HC in 2 years). They are interviewing people.

I am hurt, but I'm also going to accept the job if they end up deciding that I'm the best one who is interested.

Do you wear short sleeves in cold weather? If not, then you're not good enough.

Reaction Score
This is purely conjecture, but if the leaks are coming from UConn, perhaps Warde is negotiating by saying fine, I'm moving on to other highly qualified candidates that want to make $2M a year, today. You want to avoid pressuring candidates into accepting the job, but there is value in wrapping this up as soon as possible. If not, maybe it's simply an attempt to manage the message.

Probably not likely. Now we just have to spend more for our second choice.

I don't think this was about asst. money. It's just an out.

People need to chill. He's not the only coach in the universe capable of winning here.

Reaction Score
I'm telling you all. Cold weather. Sleeves. It matters. Believe or not, there are people around here that played against Narduzzi when he was a Rhode Island sheep. That matters for something too in all of this right?

UCONN fans are in quite a tizzy.

Reaction Score
Why are we not seeing any other so called sports outlets retweeting or passing on this news?

Reaction Score
Probably not likely. Now we just have to spend more for our second choice.

I don't think this was about asst. money. It's just an out.

People need to chill. He's not the only coach in the universe capable of winning here.

If the leaks are coming from UConn, than it is probably more likely they want to manage the message with regards to not coming to terms.

Although, sometimes you want people to pause and realize they just walked away from a $2M a year opportunity. If PN is not interested, UCONN has everything to gain from moving forward quickly with assessing other candidates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer