Coaching Search Tweets & More | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Coaching Search Tweets & More

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If I'm Narduzzi, I probably have contacts that know TJ so he can get a sense of the man. The O was clearly clicking, so I can imagine a situation where a D-minded HC keeps TJ.

But, it's up to whoever is the new HC.
I was wondering if their time ever overlapped at Cinci but they were off by several years.

Reaction Score
If it is Narduzzi (big if, still), I would htink (hope) it is announced as soon as the deal is done, and if they agree he will remain to coach MSU in the Rose Bowl,, he at least can contact committed recruits and work to assemble his staff while continuing to coach MSU inthe Rose Bowl.

This is why I'm a bit skeptical about Narduzzi if the UConn is planning on announcing a new coach in the next week or so.

Generally coaches who are hired during bowl season fall into 4 types.

1) Coaches who aren't coaching a bowl game to begin with - no conflict here
2) Coaches who are making a jump to their "dream" coaching job
3) Coaches who are established and don't care about potential political fallout
4) Coaches who are/about to be forced out

I don't think Narduzzi falls into any of these buckets so I would be surprised if he's the one who's announced.

Mind you, there's little benefit a coach to be announced now vs early Jan - we're reaching recruiting dead period so it's not like he can use the rest of the month to recruit anyway. The main benefit would be time to get his "team" in place and he can do that w/o a formal announcement being made.

Reaction Score
Hondo Carpenter‏@HondoCarpenter
UCONN doesn't want to pay $2-$2.5 mill per year to a coach BUT I spoke w/ agent this A.M. (Not Narduzzi's) told me he was told that figure

Well Warde said money wouldn't be an issue, and the thought around here is that we'd be willing to offer at least $2 million. While an unnamed agent isn't necessarily a reliable source, at the very least its good that the perception that we are willing to spend big money is spreading.

Reaction Score
This is why I'm a bit skeptical about Narduzzi if the UConn is planning on announcing a new coach in the next week or so.

I don't think Narduzzi falls into any of these buckets so I would be surprised if he's the one who's announced.

Mind you, there's little benefit a coach to be announced now vs early Jan - we're reaching recruiting dead period so it's not like he can use the rest of the month to recruit anyway. The main benefit would be time to get his "team" in place and he can do that w/o a formal announcement being made.

The dead period still allows contact with recruits. The bowl game will not be an issue on whether or not Narduzzi accepts an offer or not.

If Narduzzi wants to coach the bowl game and Warde wants him, it will be worked out.

Reaction Score
As it has been said multiple times, we need this hire to be a big splash.

Aside from Gronk going down, there is nothing going on this week and landing someone like Narduzzi would certainly make the front page of ESPN.com and a lot of other major publications (digital and traditional). Couldn't ask for better exposure.

And then they start hammering us and his judgement. Be prepared to respond to that UConn.

Reaction Score
The dead period still allows contact with recruits. The bowl game will not be an issue on whether or not Narduzzi accepts an offer or not.

If Narduzzi wants to coach the bowl game and Warde wants him, it will be worked out.

Only committed recruits, not new ones.

Reaction Score
Slightly off-topic tweet - some disgruntled Rutgirls fans:

Fire Hermann and BoG ‏@ruscoop 1m
So UConn is willing to spend $2 million on a coach, but we've decided that athletics is no longer important now that we're in the Big Ten.

Got the cable boxes and they couldn't care less if you suck. That's up to Rutgers.

Reaction Score

5) Coaches who accept "dream job" yet coach their squad in a BCS game, then leave (and tell team via FaceTime)

Reaction Score
Only committed recruits, not new ones.

Think about it. Do you really think it's only with committed recruits? Recruits don't announce to the NCAA they are committed or not. Seriously....

Reaction Score
Bobby Burton @BobbyBurton247
Follow

BREAKING: High-ranking source tells me decision on Mack Brown's future expected in next "48 hours".

10:16 AM - 10 Dec 2013

So what is going on at Texas and does it impact us?

Bobby is the biggest shill for the Texas athletic department, so this news is probably true. We'll know within two days whether or not Mack is the coach next year. I would think that they will force him out somehow because no coach at Texas has EVER had 4 consecutive 4-loss seasons before now.

If he isn't retained by Texas, this will impact UConn because other schools are going to be higher in priority as schools look to fill newly opened positions depending on who Texas takes to replace Mack.

Reaction Score
Basically use the NCAA tourney credit and exit fee money we are getting over the next 7 years to pay for the coach. If after that time we are not in a P5'conference then we are screwed anyway so it won't matter. Strike now

Reaction Score

I guess if he wants to coach in the Rose Bowl that's understandable. But if I'm Warde and I just offered this guy $2 million to be the head coach at Connecticut and his first act is to...go back and be the DC for Michigan State, I wouldn't be 100% ok with that.

We have a lot to get done between now and next year. If you take the money, it's time to get to work.

Reaction Score
You really think so though? He's one guy - not the entire school. As we've discussed in this very thread, I think Warde would totally be on board with letting him coach the Rose bowl so long as he recruits for us when he can in the meantime.

His AD spoke about it yesterday and is not only prepared for it but practically encouraged it.

Reaction Score

He's a defensive coordinator, not the face of MSU football. #3 is not an issue.

You can't realistically wait that long to make an announcement, even if you wanted to. He's already been interviewed, sounds like all the candidates will have been interviewed within the next few days. Can't just stop and hang out for 3 weeks to make an announcement, and if we did, it wouldn't fool anyone, and would lead to more distractions for Michigan State than if they announced it now.

Reaction Score
I'm getting sick and tired of reading tweets about how UConn doesn't want to spend X amount of dollars, isn't capable of anything. Just read a tweet from a Ball State insider that was bashing Lembo for potentially leaving. Really? One thing people on the outside forget is that this state has absolutely no problem throwing money at anything, good (UConn 2000, the new commitment to STEM research, hopefully our next successful head coach) or bad, nor do they seem to recall that we bring in 63mil a year in athletics. Granted we barely break even, but that's not chump change as far as budgeting goes.

Reaction Score
I don't think the Mack Brown departure, if it happens, impacts us much. Art Briles, Muschamp etc. But nobody with northern tier coaching connections IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom