Coaching Hot Seat 2021 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Coaching Hot Seat 2021

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Interesting (and kind of diverse) list of names here, and the names in the thread are also interesting.

Chances of getting Hammon--slim to none. She's passed up better jobs. I think she's still holding out for an NBA HC gig.

If my last name was Insell, I would change it. That's rough. Incel is one of the worst insults you can hurl at someone in our current times.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Sacha Washington just committed to Vanderbilt yesterday. She previously de-committed from Purdue. I wonder if this changes the plan for Washington.

Bummer for her: from one frying pan (eventual coaching change at Purdue) to a fire. Be very careful with any next thoughts, Ms. Washington.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I wonder if Stephanie asked about an extension and that’s what prompted the decision because you’re right, nothing new has come about since A) Vandy quit the season and B) all the other conference tournaments ended.
as we saw with JPM last year, the ADs want to let the contracts play out to avoid buyouts or disharmony but the clueless coach wants more security.

who are these folks?

Agree that Hammon is no chance.
Insell already failed in the SEC. Why would Vandy be any different?

Stephanie Norman - Assoc HC at Louisville
Kim Rosamond - HC TN Tech
Jackie Carson - HC Furman
Bart Brooks - HC Belmont
Nikki West - AC NC State

I assume the others are more well known?

DefenseBB: Good thought. That's sound reason for the strange timing. Heck, given how close Tina Langley came to the Duke job, I thought she'd be a natural for Vandy when it opened up.

Maybe Lownsdale suggested these potential candidates because Vandy has to pay off White and might want to cut down on the (initial salary). Remember, when Steph won the job, the other finalists were Courtney Banghart (then Princeton, now UNC) and Niele Ivey (then Assc. Head Coach, now HC at ND).

Well, in that vein, let me throw these names at you:

- Beth Morgan Cunnngham, former Assc. Head Coach at ND, current Asst. Coach at Duke and one-time successful HC at VCU. Last year, she sat out most of the season (at Duke and like Vandy).

- Of all the schools GG's name has been suggested for, this one makes the most sense because it most mirrors the school she had the most success at -- Duke.

- Karl Smesko, FGCU. Just think Vandy could get a fine coacrh and Kristin Bell, probably in one swipe.
If he's ever gonna stop being the Jimmy Buffet of hoop coaches, this is the time. BTW, he is from Ohio so he can recruit here, there and everywhere.

- And two coaches who are probably waiting for Lisa Bluder to retire (after Caitlin Clark is gone):
-- Jan Jensen, who is Iowa's head of recruting and post coach. I'd say she excels at both.
-- Jennie Baranczyk, the Iowa alum and Drake Coach. I'll be she could get an initial pipeline of midwest kids to Vandy to start things up.

This will be interesting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also: 4th coaching go round for Vandy Alum Carolyn Peck?

Reaction Score
Well, if we’re going to say it about Insell, let’s say it about Peck, too:

Peck already failed in the SEC. Why would Vandy be any different?

Reaction Score
DefenseBB: Good thought. That's sound reason for the strange timing. Heck, given how close Tina Langley came to the Duke job, I thought she'd be a natural for Vandy when it opened up.

Maybe Lownsdale suggested these potential candidates because Vandy has to pay off White and might want to cut down on the (initial salary).

Could be. But it also feels like the list has a highly regional flavor to it.

Reaction Score

Oh I agree. But schools have soft spots for alums.

Reaction Score

I'm glad someone else said it LOL. Even though Peck won a championship, she's not shown much else at her other 2 stops in coaching. Even her 2 years at Purdue, she was only able to sign 2 recruits, 1 a junior college player and 1 player out of high school who transferred after 1 semester.

Reaction Score
Using Terri Williams-Flournoy as a baseline for possible termination (Net Ranking:112) these are the schools/coaches with this years worst Net Rankings among all P5 conferences:
NR#254 California Charmin Smith 2 years (13-35,4-27conf.) but extenuating circumstances. Signed 4 top-100 recruits 2020 none in 2021. Has time and the recruiting class to turn things around.
NR#224 Virginia Tina Thompson 2+ years (25-41,13-23conf.) covid-shortened season. No top-100 recruits for 2020 and 2021. Unless she is able to attract some talented transfers she could be in trouble a few years from now.
NR#177 Illinois Nancy Fahey 4 years (26-73,6-64conf.) Has yet to win more than 2 conference games in any season. No top-100 recruits for 2017,1 for 2018,none for 2019 and 2020,1 for 2021. Not getting the job done and the clock is ticking.
NR#158 Vanderbilt Stephanie White 4+ years (46-83,13-54conf.) covid-shortened season. Has not won more than 4 conference games in any season. Although she had 2 top-100 recruits in 2016,1 in 2017,2 in 2018,and 2 in 2019,she had none in 2020 and 1 in 2021. This year was a lost opportunity to show improvement. Has the recruits so next year probably a make-or-break season.
NR#157 Wisconsin Jonathan Tsipis 5 years (50-98,14-74conf.) Has never won more than 4 conference games in any season. Had 1 top-100 recruit in 2016,none in 2017,2018,or 2019,1 in 2020 and none in 2021. On borrowed time.
NR#134 Minnesota Lindsay Whalen 3 years (45-38,21-33conf.) Each year has had worsening overall record but this year was her best conference record at 7-11. Had 1 top-100 recruit in 2018 and 2019,2 in 2020 and 1 in 2021. Needs to show capable of at least a break-even record (overall as well as in conference) next season.
NR#125 Purdue Sharon Versyp 15 years (301-191,141-117conf.) Her best conference record over the last 4 years was 9-8 in 2017-18. Top-100 recruits: 2008(2),2009(2),2010(0),2011(1),2012(2),2013(1),2014(1),2015(4),2016(1),
2017(1),2018(1),2019(1),2020(2),and 2021(2). In spite of having a strong recruiting class in 2015 she has made the NCAAT only twice in the last 6 years. She can remain Purdue's coach as long as she wants but an improved conference (Maryland,Ohio State,Michigan,Indiana,Michigan State,Northwestern and Iowa, makes getting back to the NCAAT a real challenge.
NR#118 Pittsburgh Lance White 3 years (21-60,6-43conf.) Best year was this last year with 3 conference wins. No top-100 recruits in 2018,2019,or 2021 and 1 in 2020. Things don't look good for turning Pitt around any time soon.
NR#113 Utah Lynne Roberts 6 years (87-91,40-69conf.) Has had only one break-even year in conference (9-9) in 2018-19 and has been heading in the wrong direction last two years. No top-100 recruits in 2015 or 2016,1 in 2017,none in 2018,1 in 2019,2 in 2020,and 1 in 2021. Recent recruiting may help turn things around but with a tough conference of Oregon,Stanford,Oregon State,UCLA,Arizona,Arizona State,and improving Cal,USC,Colorado and Wash.State, doing any better than break-even will be difficult and reaching the NCAAT nearly impossible. I think she'll be around for awhile yet.
A month ago I detailed this list of P5 coaching failures right after Auburn's coach was let go. They had a NR of 112. Since then 2 more have bitten the dust - Wisconsin (NR 157) and Vanderbilt (NR 158). Purdue also announced a future coaching change (NR 125).
So who does that leave? In order of most likely to go first!
Utah (NR 113)
Illinois (NR 177)
Virginia (NR 224)
Pittsburgh (NR 118)
California (NR 254)
Minnesota (NR 134)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Time will tell regarding the list. Those are not actually schools that necessarily care so much about WBB. I think Cal may make a move after next year if we don't see improvement, and Minnesota is unlikely to dump an alum if there is any promising signs.

Most of the rest would require looking at their contracts, which I'm not going to bother to do.

I personally am unimpressed by Illinois results and by Virginia as well, but at what point those schools will consider the coaches a failure I don't know.

Reaction Score
Kim Rosamond is the likely choice for Vanderbilt. She was the recruiting coordinator, main recruiter for Balcomb for almost 10 years. She also played for Van Chancellor at Ole Miss. Then spent 5 years as an assistant and recruiter under his replacement after he left to coach the Comets.

She has a track record at Vanderbilt of bringing in top 25 classes.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Oh I agree. But schools have soft spots for alums.
Carolyn did assist Stephanie for 2 years at Vandy, then left the staff (sort of unexplained). Asst Coach is not the same as HC but she wasn’t successful at Vandy as an assistant so I am not sure why Vandy would even want to consider.

Reaction Score
Kim Rosamond is the likely choice for Vanderbilt. She was the recruiting coordinator, main recruiter for Balcomb for almost 10 years. She also played for Van Chancellor at Ole Miss. Then spent 5 years as an assistant and recruiter under his replacement after he left to coach the Comets.

She has a track record at Vanderbilt of bringing in top 25 classes.
White recruited some very good players actually, she struggled with development, injuries, attrition and building a cohesive team.

I don’t know much about Kim rosamond but I still have a bitter taste in my mouth from Van Chancellors time at LSU, where the team got worse every year under him and struggled to field a cohesive team. He ended up being replaced by Nikki. Vandy desperately needs help in the coaching department.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Could be. But it also feels like the list has a highly regional flavor to it.

Yup. I didn't see the part where he asked for other ideas, so I offered up a few on a post -- most of which were out-of-region.
If I've kept up a bit on Vandy, there's a new AD and will be interesting to see what approach is taken in the hiring process after last time's national search, which resu lted in three different kinds of finalists: a pro coach (Steph White), a college HC (Courtney Banghart) and a college associate head coach (Niele Ivey).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't know what the Campus Life and Culture is at Vanderbilt, but from the Outside, it appears that it is a Sleeping Giant just waiting to be woken. Vanderbilt is a great Education Institution in a Great Mid Size City (Nashville) that has a lot going for itself. Nashville is more then just Country Music ?

Rick Insell has accomplished a lot at MTSU and IMO should be considered. I don't know if he would take the job as he has a good thing going at MTSU. I also don't know if he has the required personality to compete with the other SEC Head Coaches. However he should be able to build the program back to the levels that Jim Foster and Melanie Balcomb had where Vandy was going to the Tournament every year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom