Coaching Hot Seat 2021 New | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coaching Hot Seat 2021 New

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I absolutely DID make an assumption about Stollings leaving but I did use known data of wins - losses and winning percentage. I did not factor in ooc schedule because Baylor and others have done that for years as well as UConn usually playing in creampuff conferences that guarantee them almost 20 wins each year. As for P5 conferences the proof is in how you do in conference anyway which is why I included both statistics.
You have some nerve pulling UConn into that discussion. In no way does what Stollings did in her nonconference schedule compare to what UConn's schedules were like since 2014. Go back and look at the rankings of overall SOS in those years, and compare UConn's SOS to Stollings'. UConn always managed to have one of the top SOS rankings in the country regardless of what conference they were in. So that pretty much blows your argument to bits.

Reaction Score
Coach Whalen has some pieces in place and they are getting better each year, which is the goal of any program.
Not accurate. She went from 21 -11/9 - 9 to 16 - 15/
5 - 12 to 7 - 11/6 - 10. Yes, not all talent stays home but in order to turn around a program you do need to get that ONE super talented player locally to stay local.

Reaction Score
You have some nerve pulling UConn into that discussion. In no way does what Stollings did in her nonconference schedule compare to what UConn's schedules were like since 2014. Go back and look at the rankings of overall SOS in those years, and compare UConn's SOS to Stollings'. UConn always managed to have one of the top SOS rankings in the country regardless of what conference they were in. So that pretty much blows your argument to bits.
In P5 conferences nearly every week is a dogfight of 2 or 3 tough games decided by a handful of points. SOS is heavily weighted in favor of playing a handful of ranked opponents. It's nice to be well rested between a handful of tough opponets/games every year and for most years those are played at home.
And I wasn't comparing UConn's scheduling to Stollings but to Baylor and Mulkey's scheduling.

Plebe

Reaction Score
In P5 conferences nearly every week is a dogfight of 2 or 3 tough games decided by a handful of points. SOS is heavily weighted in favor of playing a handful of ranked opponents. It's nice to be well rested between a handful of tough opponets/games every year and for most years those are played at home.
And I wasn't comparing UConn's scheduling to Stollings but to Baylor and Mulkey's scheduling.
Please spare us the tired clichés. You're not gonna tell me that Clemson and Virginia and Pitt and Auburn and Florida are "dogfights". South Florida just got through taking Tennessee all the way to the wire -- that's the same Tennessee team that just beat South Carolina last year. Quit fetishizing the power 5.

And there's no "weighting" of SOS in favor of ranked opponents. I don't know who told you that but it's completely false. I'm beginning to agree with my colleague @DefenseBB that facts and logic really are not happening for you.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So...Nancy Fahey should be at the top of this list. 6-64 (.086) in conference in 4 years at Illinois. I thought Jody Wynn was bad, she had about twice that many conference wins in the same time frame. Tonight Illinois lost at home, by 9, to previously winless SIU Edwardsville...who previously lost to lowly Kansas by 36. Finished 14th or 13th each year in the B1G. That she still has a job tells you absolutely nobody cares about WBB in Champaign.

Reaction Score
You're not gonna tell me that Clemson and Virginia and Pitt and Auburn and Florida are "dogfights".
First off, I respect both of you and your opinions.
No, not saying the teams you mentioned are dogfights,that's why Auburn replaced their coach and Florida well, is to be determined now that their coach is also gone. I was the one who put Pitt and Virginia on the list. But neither would I compare playing NC and ND, or Georgia and Texas A&M, or Michigan and Iowa, to any teams in the AA other than the team you singled out. UCF and Tulane look better this year but that's this year. When it comes to at-large bids how many teams from UConn's conference get bids outside of USF on average compared to the P5 invites? I'm being objective here. I admire UConn and what they've accomplished as well as many other teams. I'm just saying it's a very weak conference that if Maryland,Louisville,Oregon, or many others played in then they would also be undefeated in that conference.
that's the same Tennessee team that just beat South Carolina last year
Hardly. Rennia Davis, Rae Burrell, and Kasiyahna Kushkituah accounted for a combined 50 pts, 21 rebounds, and 9 assissts in that victory over SC none of who were in the game vs USF

Plebe

Reaction Score
No, not saying the teams you mentioned are dogfights,that's why Auburn replaced their coach and Florida well, is to be determined now that their coach is also gone. I was the one who put Pitt and Virginia on the list. But neither would I compare playing NC and ND, or Georgia and Texas A&M, or Michigan and Iowa, to any teams in the AA other than the team you singled out. UCF and Tulane look better this year but that's this year. When it comes to at-large bids how many teams from UConn's conference get bids outside of USF on average compared to the P5 invites? I'm being objective here. I admire UConn and what they've accomplished as well as many other teams. I'm just saying it's a very weak conference that if Maryland,Louisville,Oregon, or many others played in then they would also be undefeated in that conference.
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

You've been hanging around too much at Volnation. All the more reason why your protestations of "respect" ring completely hollow. Why else would you bring up UConn's conference affiliation in a completely irrelevant discussion about Stollings?

Further evidence of your ill-informedness is that you seem unaware that UConn for years was in a conference that regularly sent 8 or 9 teams to the NCAA tournament. Give yourself a history lesson and go back and count how many wins UConn racked up during that period, and how many undefeated seasons they achieved despite being in a "good" conference.

But since I doubt you really care about facts, you're probably better off just spinning the same tired tropes on Volnation, where your schtick is a better fit.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

You've been hanging around too much at Volnation. All the more reason why your protestations of "respect" ring completely hollow. Why else would you bring up UConn's conference affiliation in a completely irrelevant discussion about Stollings?

Further evidence of your ill-informedness is that you seem unaware that UConn for years was in a conference that regularly sent 8 or 9 teams to the NCAA tournament. Give yourself a history lesson and go back and count how many wins UConn racked up during that period, and how many undefeated seasons they achieved despite being in a "good" conference.

But since I doubt you really care about facts, you're probably better off just spinning the same tired tropes on Volnation, where your schtick is a better fit.
Ooooh. I'll help.

Back when UConn played in the Big East Part une, they won 90 consecutive games. The 90-game winning streak spanned 3 seasons -- 2008-2009, 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 -- and UConn did not lose a conference game. For those 3 seasons combined, the Big East sent more teams to the NCAA tournament than any conference in the country. More than the SEC, more than the Big 12, more than the ACC and more than the PAC12. From the 2007-2008 season through the 2010-2011 season, UConn lost one regular season conference game (Rutgers in 2008). Again, during that stretch, the Big East sent more teams to the NCAA tournament than any conference in the country.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Ooooh. I'll help.

Back when UConn played in the Big East Part une, they won 90 consecutive games. The 90-game winning streak spanned 3 seasons -- 2008-2009, 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 -- and UConn did not lose a conference game. For those 3 seasons combined, the Big East sent more teams to the NCAA tournament than any conference in the country. More than the SEC, more than the Big 12, more than the ACC and more than the PAC12. From the 2007-2008 season through the 2010-2011 season, UConn lost one regular season conference game (Rutgers in 2008). Again, during that stretch, the Big East sent more teams to the NCAA tournament than any conference in the country.
A lot of folks don't really realize how exceptional UConn is. A look at their win / loss record is all that is needed. And playing one of the toughest schedules in the country year in and year out, I do not remember a year the UConn schedule was not in the top 5

What I referenced in a different thread was that Geno certainly did play some creampuffs (mixed in with some very good teams) out of conference when he was in the old Big East. Now that he plays so many in conference, he has taken an already respective OOC schedule and stepped it up a notch.

What is true is that UConn is not the only team that would likely have gone undefeated in the American and now the Big East. There are not many, but the "top" teams such as a Stanford or South Carolina or (when they were good) Notre Dame, even Maryland would only struggle with DePaul in all likelihood. UConn has a more guaranteed likelihood of going undefeated in conference because, well, they just don't lose many games at all. But other teams likely would feast in the American and New Big East as well.

Reaction Score
And to makes things worse, UVA heads out to the West Coast to take on UCLA and Fullerton.

When they come home, they play a 4-0 Rhode Island team that is coached by former Wahoo Tammi Reiss, who has that team on the upswing. That could make a fire a wildfire.

Pretty sure TT's contract runs through 2023. Thompson was UVA AD Carla William's first hire. Can Williams acknowledge that this isn't looking good and find the resolve and resources to move on?
I believe Tina is in year 4 of a 5 year contract. Unless she also get a free year because of COVID

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I wondered how UConn came up in a thread about coaches on the hot seat and I see that it was in a discussion of Marlene Stollings. Makes total sense.

Iron Man Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
Ooooh. I'll help.

The most impressive Uconn women's basketball stat is 24-0 over 4 years in the NCAA Tournament. You win or go home, no one else has ever come close.

Reaction Score
We already know how UConn would perform in a strong conference. The old Big East was the best basketball conference for many years before breaking up in 2013. It had teams you may have heard of like Notre Dame, Rutgers, and Louisville. In the last 20 years of that conference's existence, UConn went undefeated 9 times, lost 1 game 6 times, and lost 2 or 3 games 5 times. During that span, UConn was 314-18 in conference play for a winning percentage of .946 while reaching the Final Four 13 times and bringing home 8 national championships. During those two decades, UConn's overall record was 677-55 and included a 90-game winning streak where all but one game I believe was won by double digits, and of course a few years after that streak ended the 111-game winning streak began. People that say UConn can't do to a strong conference what it did to the AAC and the new Big East aren't paying attention because UConn has already done it.

Reaction Score
Tina Thompson #1 with a bullet
UVA just lost by 20 to UCF and is 0-3
URI is 5-0 following a win over previously unbeaten Princeton.

Cavs need to get Reiss or try to lure back Boyle (who still lives in Charlottesville).

Ooooh and what have we here? URI plays at UVA on Friday. :cool:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ooooh and what have we here? URI plays at UVA on Friday. :cool:
Poetic. Rather than throwing in the towel, Thompson can just hand it off to Reiss.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I’m
Poetic. Rather than throwing in the towel, Thompson can just hand it off to Reiss.
Hey! Both you and @Vowelguy need to stay in your proverbial lanes! As a URI Alum, let me have a couple of seasons of good basketball before the likes of the 2 of you give others ideas!

I watched the second half of this game and Rhody was without Desiree Elmore who suffered a concussion yesterday. To say this was a nice win is an understatement for this program. From a women’s sport perspective, this program has been terrible. What Tami has done is truly remarkable. The A-10 will come down to Dayton and Rhody and they play on Jan 1. The Rhody SoS is not going to be great (not terrible either) so their only hope might only be winning the automatic bid.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Hey! Both you and @Vowelguy need to stay in your proverbial lanes! As a URI Alum, let me have a couple of seasons of good basketball before the likes of the 2 of you give others ideas!

I watched the second half of this game and Rhody was without Desiree Elmore who suffered a concussion yesterday. To say this was a nice win is an understatement for this program. From a women’s sport perspective, this program has been terrible. What Tami has done is truly remarkable. The A-10 will come down to Dayton and Rhody and they play on Jan 1. The Rhody SoS is not going to be great (not terrible either) so their only hope might only be winning the automatic bid.
Well they have her taking over UVA, and I want her for RU.

Reaction Score
I have never been on Volnation in my life or any other board than here because I am objective and like all WBB in general.

If you don't believe I respect your opinions on WBB that's your problem.

I brought it up because I believe there are weak conferences just as there are weak scheduling by some coaches. Just because a team plays in a weak conference doesn't automatically make them weak but it does account for a lot of easy victories. Lately no team has played a more difficult ooc schedule than UConn and there are reasons outside of their conference that make them one of the top 4 teams every single year. I enjoy watching and analyzing WBB period. I have no "irons in the fire" or secret agendas.

Reaction Score

Lol. Methinks thou hast too thin of a skin my friend.
I was only referring to recent history. I am well aware of UConn's time in the Big East as well as when Tennessee used to to win championships but it was irrelevant to my discussion of the last four years.

I never said anything negative about UConn or their play but merely their conference in general. Chill out a little. And unlike you I am not attacking you directly just expressing an opinion about basketball.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
When discussing any coaches success, looking at their Strength of Schedule is absolutely crucial if you are talking about any P5 school. Two components go into that SoS with Out of Conference schedules (OOC) and the conference schedule. UConn has always had a top 5 SoS and usually the top 1 or 2 for OOC, which for the past 4 years can be seen on Massey or WarrenNolan. Any discussion on UConn “garnering 20 wins” the way Marlene Stollings did at Minn or Texas Tech to prop up these totals and fool their own AD or their conference leaders is sheer poppycock and any self respecting fan who wants to understand more about the nuances should read up.
Kim Mulkey has “upped” her OOC in recent years as well. So has Brenda Freese who also used to play cupcake U’s regularly. Heck even Joanne P McCallie built Duke’s wins on soft OOC that I hope Kara rectifies immediately.
So back to my stance on Kristy Curry who should be on the “hot seat”. The Alabama AD just extended her to 2025, salary from $450 to $500k which is still at the low end of SEC. Last year her record was 17-9, 8-8 conference and #120 OOC (terrible!). This year she’s 2-2 with losses to Tulane and Duke. There are no other P5 schools on her schedule. Thank goodness Bama only cares about Football and women’s softball so Curry can fly under the radar at least until 2025….

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
When discussing any coaches success, looking at their Strength of Schedule is absolutely crucial if you are talking about any P5 school. Two components go into that SoS with Out of Conference schedules (OOC) and the conference schedule. UConn has always had a top 5 SoS and usually the top 1 or 2 for OOC, which for the past 4 years can be seen on Massey or WarrenNolan. Any discussion on UConn “garnering 20 wins” the way Marlene Stollings did at Minn or Texas Tech to prop up these totals and fool their own AD or their conference leaders is sheer poppycock and any self respecting fan who wants to understand more about the nuances should read up.
Kim Mulkey has “upped” her OOC in recent years as well. So has Brenda Freese who also used to play cupcake U’s regularly. Heck even Joanne P McCallie built Duke’s wins on soft OOC that I hope Kara rectifies immediately.
So back to my stance on Kristy Curry who should be on the “hot seat”. The Alabama AD just extended her to 2025, salary from $450 to $500k which is still at the low end of SEC. Last year her record was 17-9, 8-8 conference and #120 OOC (terrible!). This year she’s 2-2 with losses to Tulane and Duke. There are no other P5 schools on her schedule. Thank goodness Bama only cares about Football and women’s softball so Curry can fly under the radar at least until 2025….

McCallie's OOC schedules went softer in her last few years.... but up until 2015.... it was usually pretty tough. the 2014-15 OOC schedule was one of the toughest in the country......

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
McCallie's OOC schedules went softer in her last few years.... but up until 2015.... it was usually pretty tough. the 2014-15 OOC schedule was one of the toughest in the country......
The reference that RoosterC made was the last 4 years so that’s what I used. But who knew you would come to JPM’s defense!
Episode 2 Wow GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Reaction Score
UConn has always had a top 5 SoS and usually the top 1 or 2 for OOC, which for the past 4 years
You evidently didn't read my post above which stated :
Lately no team has played a more difficult ooc schedule than UConn and there are reasons outside of their conference that make them one of the top 4 teams every single year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom