Coaching Hot Seat 2021 New | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coaching Hot Seat 2021 New

Reaction Score
At some point, it’s going to dawn on Clemson that Amanda Butler is not good but that is probably 2 years out when her contract expires in 2024.
She clearly over-achieved her first year when she had better players, had a terrible year two after her best players graduated, a mediocre year three, and now she's beginning year four.
She has a very challenging oof schedule and will undoubtedly take her lumps but at least it's not full of fluff opponents like many other schools schedule. She has done a decent job recruiting: #48(2019) Danae McNeal, #40(2020)GabrielleElliott, #52(2021) Kionna Gaines, and #15(2022)Ruby Whitehorn so she could still turn things around next year. If she doesn't improve come year 5 or 6 then I agree. For my money any coach who wants to have EARLY success needs to go to the Big 12. Trying to achieve success in the other P5 conferences will take a more-than-minor miracle.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't see him as a coach who will get Ohio State to an elite level but he's done a pretty solid job in the post-Mitchell era considering the rosters he's had. I actually think he's done a better job since Mitchell left than when she was there even if results aren't as good. Ohio State had a lot more talent during the Kelsey Mitchell era, but I'm guessing the program had major chemistry issues with her dad's influence being on the staff, and also McGuff being essentially forced to put Kelsey's sister on scholarship (who I'm not sure was even a D1 caliber player), plus trying to manage other high level players and keep everyone happy while making sure Kelsey Mitchell was the star of the show. Not a good recipe for good chemistry or team success, and we saw the fallout of that with disappointing NCAA tournament results year after year. His program went back to rebuilding mode after 2019 and McGuff has done a decent job the last few years and should be good this season, but they're definitely far behind Maryland and will have a hard time cracking the top 4 this year in a solid Big Ten.

You're 100% accurate that he's missed out on several big names....after looking it up, it's rather painful how much talent he's missed out on. Naz Hillmon, Kierstan Bell, Zia Cooke, Jordan Horston, Maddie Westbeld and Bree Hall are all in state kids who he wasn't able to land or keep. Plus another top 10 kid next year. That's a championship caliber roster of talent he's seen opt for different programs. On the basis of that alone I could see why fans want someone new to run the program--he couldn't deliver when he did have talent, and now he's having trouble landing talent.
Not sure he was truly forced...but I understand what you're saying. She wasn't and she didn't finish her career on the team.

From the many games I was at, the players who played with Mitchell the longest (Harper, Mavunga, Doss, Hart, Waterman) really seemed to enjoy her and playing with her. They were usually engaged from the bench too, minus Hart, but she's a bit more reserved anyway. So, I'm not sure chemistry was that big of an issue for that team. Many of them played AAU with her too. I think his best team was actually the 2015–2016 team with Craft and Alston there with their leadership and hustle. But that fizzled when Craft broke her hand (some hand injury) in practice before the Sweet Sixteen.

He has done alright for sure after losing his one All-American in 2018. But his inability to recruit and retain his players over the years is what led to a full rebuild (6 grad transfers in, after one class of zero recruits and two classes of 4 of 5 players transferring out, the fifth leaving the program in her senior season) Since he started at Ohio State, only 4 players that he has signed to a scholarship out of high school have played all four years and graduated (K. Mitchell, Doss, Hart, and Waterman [who did 5yrs]). There have been a few transfers in who have graduated and played two or more years for him (Cooper, Holland, Mavunga, Harper, and soon to Braxtin Miller.) Of the most recent recruiting classes, all of the 2018 class has left the program three for three, two of the five from the 2019 class have transferred, and the 2020 class is still in tact. I know it's the time of the transfer, but many of those transfers (outside Wone) were starters or key players.

When it comes to recruiting, the past two classes he has only be able to convince one top 100 player (McMahon, from Ohio) to come and play for Ohio State. The previous class, 2020, it depends on who you ask but only Poole was a top 100 across the board. So, hopefully he's gotten better at coaching up talent...In the 2021 and 2022 classes from Ohio, according to ESPN's list of top 100, he's missed out on 5 (2021) and originally 6 from 2022, but Emma Shumate has transferred in to Ohio State from West Virginia. Are they all going to be standouts where they go? No. But Ohio State didn't even make the final lists for many of those players during recruitment, Bransford, Van Slooten, Gray [was final five but cut to final two, and her older sister had one season overlap with McGuff at Xavier.], Oldacre. He also whiffed on all the Ohio talent in 2020. He has had a revolving door of Assistant Coaches as of late so that doesn't help with recruiting, but he's not really helping his future case.

At the games, the attendance has dwindled and the rumbles of people around the stands are wanting him out. However, even when Mitchell & Co. were there the stands had rumbles of disappointment in the playing style.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
She clearly over-achieved her first year when she had better players, had a terrible year two after her best players graduated, a mediocre year three, and now she's beginning year four.
She has a very challenging oof schedule and will undoubtedly take her lumps but at least it's not full of fluff opponents like many other schools schedule. She has done a decent job recruiting: #48(2019) Danae McNeal, #40(2020)GabrielleElliott, #52(2021) Kionna Gaines, and #15(2022)Ruby Whitehorn so she could still turn things around next year. If she doesn't improve come year 5 or 6 then I agree. For my money any coach who wants to have EARLY success needs to go to the Big 12. Trying to achieve success in the other P5 conferences will take a more-than-minor miracle.
Butler is an upgrade over the series of coaches they've had since letting Jim Davis go. Give her time; she'll keep Clemson competitive or in the middle of the league, out of the basement and knock on the door of the upper echelon on occasion.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Something like that, correct. However we got a decent amount of talent in transfers.

It’s the way he’s going about his rotations of the lack there of a rotation. Each game we have a different starting lineup, and he juggles 14 or so players in and out pretty much the whole game. That’s way to many players, as the players on the floor can’t find a flow at all. We have not scored more than 10 points in the first quarter of any game this year.

If I was the AD, I’d wait until the end of this season, allow CVS an admit role and then hire a young up and coming coach.

Perhaps like Chelsea Newton if they want it to be an alum, if not I’d give Tammi Reiss a good look if UVA doesn’t give her a look first.
While I have seen few games, the few I saw with Tim in the past, I think the large rotations in and out is his "thing". CTT at ASU has (at times) done something related, with mixed success.

Arizona played every one of 15 players (and 14 scored) in a rout of Texas Southern last night. Of course, Stony Brook is much better than Texas Southern (coached, if you don't know, by Cynthia Cooper-Dyke).

Chelsea is a good name. I'm not sure why Tammi Reiss, but I'm open to anybody that looks "good". The only retread, even though she is a bit long in the tooth, that I wouldn't object to is Gail G. She could probably accomplish some rebuilding.

Reaction Score
while I am not necessarily a fan of Coach Yo, losing to Belmont is not a bad loss as Belmont is good. Plus, Ole Miss was terrible before her and she at least is getting recruits and transfers.
I coudn't disagree more. Yes, Belmont is a good team but Ole Miss was playing at home and just look at the numbers S.Austin (a future WNBA player)has been putting up this year. Under Coach Yo they have had a consistently terrible offensive output.
The previous coach had a record over the first 3 years of 41 - 54(.43)/11 -37(.23) and Coach Yo has gone 31 - 57(.35)/7 - 39(.15) so not better by any stretch. As for recruiting there was some initial excitement her first year so #54 Tai-Yanna Jackson (2019) and her best recruits in 2020 #15 Madison Scott and #47 Jacorriah Bracey. But you have to show results and even with those three and the addition of transfer Austin(#4 2018) she hasn't been getting it done. NO Top-100 recruits in 2021 or 2022...so not gonna happen.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
While I have seen few games, the few I saw with Tim in the past, I think the large rotations in and out is his "thing". CTT at ASU has (at times) done something related, with mixed success.

Arizona played every one of 15 players (and 14 scored) in a rout of Texas Southern last night. Of course, Stony Brook is much better than Texas Southern (coached, if you don't know, by Cynthia Cooper-Dyke).

Chelsea is a good name. I'm not sure why Tammi Reiss, but I'm open to anybody that looks "good". The only retread, even though she is a bit long in the tooth, that I wouldn't object to is Gail G. She could probably accomplish some rebuilding.
Tammi Reiss has Rhode Island trending up. I think she’s doing good things.

My problem is that he is not giving the players any time to get into the flow of the game and he’s not using a stable 5 that will gel and learn to play with each other which is important. There’s no reason for 14 players to play in a close game when they’re not on the same page, hell we don’t even have 5 players on the same page.

That’s a coaching issue. The times he has taken over for CVS was later in the season and she had already a set rotation, so it wasn’t as hard to incorporate more players into that rotation.

Im just flabbergasted by what I’ve seen.

Reaction Score
From an available coaching option-the question of Matthew Mitchell's health if good, he has to be a viable candidate for any P5 opening.
While not a popular name on this site, Joanne P McCallie still has a good resume that should warrant a look at many P5 schools. I know Gail G keeps getting mentioned but it seems odd to me that (she is now an assistant at Kentucky maybe she have sway over Kyra to get that program back on track) that she hasn't landed a top job at a P5 or Big East school. We seem to value her potential more than any P5 AD.

He's been interviewed and has said he's not focused on getting back into coaching. He said the time off due to the brain issue had him re-evaluate things and he found his heart wasn't into coaching at the moment. I recall he was working on a book and focusing on his family.

I had a link to the article posted somewhere here on the BY in a previous thread, however now it's behind a paywall when I found it on line.

Reaction Score
Kristy Curry despite finally making the NCAAT last year, lost two good players to the transfer portal and simply and has not done enough to earn another extension.
I think she's safe for now. Her record of late has not been terrible - 7th or 8th in conference 3 of last 4 years. When you consider SC,TN,KY,TA&M,Ark,and Ga then 7th seems about right. Recruiting has been okay with about one Top-100 recruit each year. She will also benefit this year from relatively new coaches at Kentucky,Miss. State, Vandy, Florida, and Auburn.

Reaction Score
The other coach too watch is Kyra Elzy at Kentucky who underachieved last year with Rhyne Howard and has not looked good this year with a solid roster.
I totally agree with you on this one. It should be obvious to her by now that Treasure Hunt should be starting amongst other things.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Tina Thompson #1 with a bullet
UVA just lost by 20 to UCF and is 0-3

And to makes things worse, UVA heads out to the West Coast to take on UCLA and Fullerton.

When they come home, they play a 4-0 Rhode Island team that is coached by former Wahoo Tammi Reiss, who has that team on the upswing. That could make a fire a wildfire.

Pretty sure TT's contract runs through 2023. Thompson was UVA AD Carla William's first hire. Can Williams acknowledge that this isn't looking good and find the resolve and resources to move on?

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
And to makes things worse, UVA heads out to the West Coast to take on UCLA and Fullerton.

When they come home, they play a 4-0 Rhode Island team that is coached by former Wahoo Tammi Reiss, who has that team on the upswing. That could make a fire a wildfire.

Pretty sure TT's contract runs through 2023. Thompson was UVA AD Carla William's first hire. Can Williams acknowledge that this isn't looking good and find the resolve and resources to move on?
I wonder if Reiss will get a call whenever UVA opens. Although she’s on my wishlist for Rutgers.

GG would be a good hire for UVA too.

Reaction Score
Coach Lindsay Whalen is safe. Not sure why she is on the Hot Seat. She has Minnesota's best recruiting class, in the history of the program, coming in next year. She is off to a 3-1 start heading into a battle with our beloved UConn squad. She is safe.

Reaction Score
Coach Lindsay Whalen is safe. Not sure why she is on the Hot Seat. She has Minnesota's best recruiting class, in the history of the program, coming in next year. She is off to a 3-1 start heading into a battle with our beloved UConn squad. She is safe.
Perhaps an over-reaction to the first game home loss to Jacksonville.

Reaction Score
She has a budding star in J Powell. She put on a show in the Gopher's victory over the Sun Devils last week. Extremely quick and really can create her own shot. Also I thought her defense was solid although it's hard to tell against the anemic Sun Devil "offense".

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Before we get all gooey over Lindsay, let's see how the whole season plays out. Saying she's 3-1 against the likes of Jacksonville, ASU, GW and American U is not exactly a ringing endorsement of coaching prowess. Plus, this whole transfer business could further usurp her squad at the end of the season. Most of this forum will get a good (or should I say bad) look at her this Saturday.

for @Rooster C. at the UConn-Ark game, I sat next two women from Alabama who came up to the game and we talked about Kristy. One of the women is a season ticket holder and said Kristy, despite last year, is not high on the AD's list of success considering the money spent and the results achieved. She didn't think the contract was going to be renewed. I will take her perspective on this.

Reaction Score
Not sure why she is on the Hot Seat.

Perhaps an over-reaction to the first game home loss to Jacksonville.

Before we get all gooey over Lindsay, let's see how the whole season plays out. Saying she's 3-1 against the likes of Jacksonville, ASU, GW and American U is not exactly a ringing endorsement of coaching prowess. Plus, this whole transfer business could further usurp her squad at the end of the season. Most of this forum will get a good (or should I say bad) look at her this Saturday.
To be clear, I was the one who put her on the list. It is NOT because of that home loss although it is indicative of her lack of success.
Her predecessor four year record was 82–47 (.636) and 38–30 (.559) in conference. Minnesota finished 6th,5th,10th, and tied for 3rd including a 2nd round NCAA tournament appearance Stollings final year which I assume wasn't deemed good enough to be retained. Under Whalen their record over 3 years is 44–37 (.543) and 20–31 (.392) in conference. Her best season was her first when she inherited previous coach's players. She has gone from tied for 6th to 11th and 10th.
No Top-100 recruits in 2018, #76 Jasmine Powell in 2019, #68 Alexia Smith and #94 Erin Hedman 2020, #98 Katie Borowicz 2021 (her first MN recruit) and yes, 3 very good recruits for 2022 all from Minnesota. More importantly are all of the great Minnesota players she has missed out on during her tenure. Even with that very good 2022 class that will be the beginning of year 5 and freshmen for the most part don't pay dividends for at least a year or two so like year 6 or 7 ?
In the meantime most of the conference is getting better and it's hard to see a dramatic turnaround anytime soon. How many years should she get compared to the previous coach if that's the criteria for success?

Reaction Score
Kristy, despite last year, is not high on the AD's list of success considering the money spent and the results achieved. She didn't think the contract was going to be renewed. I will take her perspective on this.
I will agree with the fan's perspective but not agree that it's warranted unless you are pretty certain that there's someone out there who can improve things. As you know many schools have pulled that trigger only to have buyer's remorse two years later. How many "good" former P5 head coaches are currently unemployed to choose from? Or you could try the old hire an assistant from another program or head coach from a smaller school route but haven't they already been pretty well picked over? The handful who would be somewhat of a "sure bet" (no such thing) will be in demand from more attractive school destinations no doubt.
What I'm getting at is that the likelihood of the program getting better under a new coach is negligible at best. The ONLY coaches I advocate getting rid of are those whose winning percentage are at the bottom of all P5 programs and only after they've had 3 years to show progress or lack thereof.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To be clear, I was the one who put her on the list. It is NOT because of that home loss although it is indicative of her lack of success.
Her predecessor four year record was 82–47 (.636) and 38–30 (.559) in conference. Minnesota finished 6th,5th,10th, and tied for 3rd including a 2nd round NCAA tournament appearance Stollings final year which I assume wasn't deemed good enough to be retained. Under Whalen their record over 3 years is 44–37 (.543) and 20–31 (.392) in conference. Her best season was her first when she inherited previous COACHES SOFT OOC schedule.
Um, as a newer member of the board, l laud you passion but please double check your assumptions with facts or known data. Stollings left Minn for more money at Texas Tech. She also was notorious for scheduling cream puffs in her OOC to pad her wins. Heck, go look at her year by year game results at both Minn and Texas Tech. While most of the astute WCBB fans see that or look on Massey or WarranNolan to see SOS and the ratings, the lazy AP Coaches and writers do not and they saw Lindsay’s 12-0 record with Stollings lame opponents and with her veteran players that Whalen inherited and all thought Lindsay was good and she got an extension in Feb that 1st year. Utterly ridiculous.

Now as far as using Top 100 rankings as proof, that is really only effective if you garner Top 20 players as many of the prior BY posts over the years on the rankings of HG extrapolated for program success is not correlated. But yes, having talent is better than not having talent. But you telling me “hey they have #98 in from 2021” and #28, 39, 55 for 2022 as proof she’s good is not swaying me.
Last, I will absolutely listen to a season ticket holder of a team and her Alma mater on what the prevailing view is on that coach over a fan who has no insight of that team.

Reaction Score

for @Rooster C. at the UConn-Ark game, I sat next two women from Alabama who came up to the game and we talked about Kristy. One of the women is a season ticket holder and said Kristy, despite last year, is not high on the AD's list of success considering the money spent and the results achieved. She didn't think the contract was going to be renewed. I will take her perspective on this.
Good points. But Minnesota is 3-1 none the less and going into a battle with the #2 in the nation. Coach Whalen is putting a decent team together.

Reaction Score
Her predecessor four year record was 82–47 (.636) and 38–30 (.559) in conference. Minnesota finished 6th,5th,10th, and tied for 3rd including a 2nd round NCAA tournament appearance Stollings final year which I assume wasn't deemed good enough to be retained. Under Whalen their record over 3 years is 44–37 (.543) and 20–31 (.392) in conference. Her best season was her first when she inherited previous coach's players. She has gone from tied for 6th to 11th and 10th.
No Top-100 recruits in 2018, #76 Jasmine Powell in 2019, #68 Alexia Smith and #94 Erin Hedman 2020, #98 Katie Borowicz 2021 (her first MN recruit) and yes, 3 very good recruits for 2022 all from Minnesota. More importantly are all of the great Minnesota players she has missed out on during her tenure. Even with that very good 2022 class that will be the beginning of year 5 and freshmen for the most part don't pay dividends for at least a year or two so like year 6 or 7 ?
In the meantime most of the conference is getting better and it's hard to see a dramatic turnaround anytime soon. How many years should she get compared to the previous coach if that's the criteria for success?

Coach Stollings did well here in Minnesota. It was odd not seeing her come back but that is the nature of the business. Coach Whalen has some pieces in place and they are getting better each year, which is the goal of any program. I do know that with Stollings players Whalen had a pretty good run. Those players left and Coach Whalen had to move on. As for missing out on some of the state's great talent. LOL. Must have miss the part about how she (Whalen) has the programs best recruiting class in history coming in next year. Anyway not sure who comes up with those terms but all I do know is, not all talent stays at home. Some kids want to get out and go see other places. Some kids have goals of playing elsewhere. That is not Coach Whalen's fault. Kids either have a desire to stay home and play for the home team or they go elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that. How many years should she get compared to the previous coach? Who knows. That is up the AD and the boosters. If they see a steady progression, all is good. If there is a huge drop off and things look awkward and the program is a hot mess, then the AD will probably hear from the boosters and then make the call. But for the most part, Coach Whalen, in this case, is safe.

Reaction Score
But you telling me “hey they have #98 in from 2021” and #28, 39, 55 for 2022 as proof she’s good is not swaying me.
I wasn't saying she was good, just the opposite. I did say that her 2022 recruiting class was good is all.

Reaction Score
Now as far as using Top 100 rankings as proof,
I wasn't but all of the teams at the top echelon are absolutely loaded with Top-100 recruits. Nearly impossible to get in to the Sweet 16 and especially beyond that w/o them. Possible? Yes. But that would be the exception

Reaction Score
please double check your assumptions with facts or known data.
I absolutely DID make an assumption about Stollings leaving but I did use known data of wins - losses and winning percentage. I did not factor in ooc schedule because Baylor and others have done that for years as well as UConn usually playing in creampuff conferences that guarantee them almost 20 wins each year. As for P5 conferences the proof is in how you do in conference anyway which is why I included both statistics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom