Coaching Carousel 2017 (merged threads) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Coaching Carousel 2017 (merged threads)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Now if Smesko turns down the USC job they have no candidates out there, that I know of.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Now if Smesko turns down the USC job they have no candidates out there, that I know of.

Whew, does anyone know how to run an airline out there?
It's not as if they don't care about top-flight women's sports in USC, having just won the women's D-1 soccer championship in 2016 and putting together a women's lacrosse team in just a few years. So, what's the scoop? Is it the person overseeing the search? Not willing to put up a decent salary? Jupiter not aligning with Mars?
As an Irish alum, I normally don't care about the denizens of Troy doing all that well, but I at least expect them to make it to the battlefield, so to speak. Geesh.

Reaction Score
Morgan Valley and Jasmine Lister should have followed Neighbors to Arkansas because it looks like Wynn will be bringing her entire staff (husband, husband bff, and UW alum, and her former player) with her. Hope it's not to late for them or maybe Valley applies for LBSU job, but it would be a downgrade for Lister if she follows Valley.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Well Semesko turned down the job.
Is Geno or CD or Shea available?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Well Semesko turned down the job.
Is Geno or CD or Shea available?:rolleyes:

I know a new thread has been made for this, but I've gotten a lot out of the flow of stories on Washington, USC, et al from this thread so I'm going to keep it alive. This was some article and does not speak well for USC's athletic department...

USC’s disastrous search, what happens next?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
So, Raoul is keeping track of the "sourcing" for these D1 openings:
Raoul‏ @Raoul_000
Among the new D-I WBB head coaches so far:
- 2 were D-III HCs
- 3 D-II HCs
- 6 D-I HCs (1 P5 to P5)
- 7 D-I ACs (4 promoted from staff)
- 1 HS coach

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Kristen Gillespie moves from DII Lewis University to DI Illinois State University. No one at ISU is terribly excited, but the "give her a chance" mantra is settling in.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I know a new thread has been made for this, but I've gotten a lot out of the flow of stories on Washington, USC, et al from this thread so I'm going to keep it alive. This was some article and does not speak well for USC's athletic department...

USC’s disastrous search, what happens next?
Dillon- you should have given the "Reading this article could be hazardous to your respect of a program and an icon"! Wow, just wow. To say I am dumbfounded would be exactly what the author and I suspect you intended..well played my friend, well played...:confused:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Megan Duffy Adds Michaela Mabey to Miami Redhawks Coaching Staff

Former Irish point guard and first-time Head Coach Megan Duffy just announced her coaching staff at Miami University of Ohio and it contains another former Irish guard, one Michaela Mabrey.

Whoa, that didn't take long: after graduating in June 2016 and spending one year on Katie Meier's staff at the U of Miami, Michaela is now moving north to an assistant coach role in Oxford, Ohio. Congrats to Mike and to Megan...you're getting a good one.

Note Megan's emphasis on leadership:
“Coach ‘Mike’ was one of the greatest leaders to come out of Notre Dame,” said Duffy. “Her knowledge of the game and presence to lead teams will translate immediately to our guard group. Having the opportunity to watch her take Notre Dame to multiple Final Fours drew me to bringing her to Miami. Mabrey knows what it takes to be great and will help our student-athletes grow and lead in all aspects of their experience at Miami.”

Here's the whole release: Womens Basketball Announces Trio of Assistant Coaches

On a recruiting aside, I can safely assume that Michaela will keep an open link between southwest Ohio and the Jersey shore conference that she knows oh so well. If some of those players are not guaranteed/borderline P5 players, she'll have an eye out for them. Particularly guards who have no compunction about shooting from just inside the half-court line! ;)

Excuse me for having a proud Irish moment....big fan of both these fellow ND alums! :D

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Per Swish Appeal, USC rehires Mark Trakh.

Trakh returns to USC

Good choice, IMO.
That might be a good choice for them. For Mark, not so sure.

Adding to the Assistants moving around, Arizona just lost one to the new staff in Florida. I hadn't thought about that secondary fallout of coach changing.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Megan Duffy Adds Michaela Mabey to Miami Redhawks Coaching Staff

Excuse me for having a proud Irish moment....big fan of both these fellow ND alums! :D
You are absolutely allowed to be proud and Orangutan too as stalwart fans of that wonderful program. I have much respect and admiration for what Muffet has built there and enjoy watching them. Yes, I root against them when playing UConn and my quibbles with Muffet aside, she is a very good coach. This leads me to my question for you and Orangutan- while we here at the Boneyard periodically delve into Geno's succession as we feel both he and CD will ride off together, What discussion or thoughts do you or the MCGraw's bench on Muffet's eventual retirement? I had asked you about Ivey as she interviewed last year at Vandy, is she now the heir apparent for Muffet, or will the program want to go to a HC with experience?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
You are absolutely allowed to be proud and Orangutan too as stalwart fans of that wonderful program. I have much respect and admiration for what Muffet has built there and enjoy watching them. Yes, I root against them when playing UConn and my quibbles with Muffet aside, she is a very good coach. This leads me to my question for you and Orangutan- while we here at the Boneyard periodically delve into Geno's succession as we feel both he and CD will ride off together, What discussion or thoughts do you or the MCGraw's bench on Muffet's eventual retirement? I had asked you about Ivey as she interviewed last year at Vandy, is she now the heir apparent for Muffet, or will the program want to go to a HC with experience?

I've got to run out to a dinner with my wife, but will get back to you on this one. I've actually been pondering this for a bit. :rolleyes:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I had recollection (perhaps incorrect) that Trakh was fired by USC unjustly. But, he didn't make the NCAA tourney in 3 of his 5 years. Not sure why they would think re-hiring him would be a good idea; and he's already 61. Perhaps they are just looking for someone to get the program a bit back on "track" . . .

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Hey there.
Given their relative closeness in age, it's not surprising that the succession talk for Geno and Muffett are parallel threads both here on the Boneyard and over at McGraw's Bench.

This is a highly subjective topic and therefore what you read represent the views of one..and only one...long-time Irish fan and alum. ;)

I'm not so certain MM has retirement top-of-mind right now for a variety of reasons:
- she's got a great support team, from her assistant coaches (including Ms. Ivey) to her husband, Matt, whom I believe has retired and is pretty much her aide-de-camp on all recruiting visits;
- MM still enjoys what she's doing and has the drive, in part...
- ... because she wants to go after one more national championship. It won't define her, but she wants to pursue it. She competitive and that's the goal.

With that in mind, we're probably looking a few years down the way re: retirement and succession. I've read rumors/theories and hopes ranging on a range of candidates, from current assistants Niele and Beth (Morgan) Cunningham to local icon Skylar Diggins who is the player along with Ruth Riley that most people associate with MM. Carol Owens, the longest-tenured of MM's assistants, will probably ride into the sunset with Muffet (as CD will do with Geno).

Will the ND powers-that-be want an established head coach? I'm not sure of that, but do think ND President Fr. Jenkins, AD Jack Swarbrick and Muffet (if she has the input on this which I think she'll have) would like to focus on an ND grad/insider. These three ND grads come to mind:
- Niele Ivey. Probably an odds-on fan favorite at this time. Guard coach, recruiter par excellence, revered alum and very respected & liked within WCBB. Member of our one national championship team, to boot. Only downside is not having HC experience and doubt she'll go anywhere to get it while her son is in high schoo in South Bend (he's a frosh), since he's grown up in the shadow of the Dome.
- Beth Cunningham. She did a commendable job as HC at VCU for years before coming back to ND to join MM. She's not an assc. head coach like Niele and Carole Owens, but she was a head coach. Not in the public eye as much as Ivey, perhaps, but respected. Another seminal figure in ND bball history with a retired number.
- Megan Duffy. Just got her first head-coaching gig at Miami University, which is right in her "home area" of SW Ohio. Played pro and moved up the ranks at St. John's, George Washington and Michigan. Let's see how she does in four-five years. If well, her HC expeirence and the succession timing could coincide. BTW, Duffy and Ivey are both point guards, as was Muffet, and I think there's a natural affinity.

The Observer, the student-run paper at Notre Dame, ran a lengthy article on MM following the her naming to the Basketball Hall of Fame. It's primarily centered around interviews with these alums: Riley, Natalie Achonwa, Kayla McBride (Kmac) and Michaela Mabrey, who just took an assistant job with Duffy at Miami. Achonwa has said she wants to get into coaching after her playing career is over. I expect both her and Mabrey to excel in this profession. Here's the article. It's long but informative because it comes from players' persepctive.

And the student writer is good (and funny, read her bio at the end.)
‘She's a Hall of Fame person. Period.’: Former players reflect on McGraw's Hall of Fame career, legacy after her 30th season at Notre Dame // The Observer

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hey there.
Given their relative closeness in age, it's not surprising that the succession talk for Geno and Muffett are parallel threads both here on the Boneyard and over at McGraw's Bench.

This is a highly subjective topic and therefore what you read represent the views of one..and only one...long-time Irish fan and alum. ;)

I'm not so certain MM has retirement top-of-mind right now for a variety of reasons:
- she's got a great support team, from her assistant coaches (including Ms. Ivey) to her husband, Matt, whom I believe has retired and is pretty much her aide-de-camp on all recruiting visits;
- MM still enjoys what she's doing and has the drive, in part...
- ... because she wants to go after one more national championship. It won't define her, but she wants to pursue it. She competitive and that's the goal.

With that in mind, we're probably looking a few years down the way re: retirement and succession. I've read rumors/theories and hopes ranging on a range of candidates, from current assistants Niele and Beth (Morgan) Cunningham to local icon Skylar Diggins who is the player along with Ruth Riley that most people associate with MM. Carol Owens, the longest-tenured of MM's assistants, will probably ride into the sunset with Muffet (as CD will do with Geno).

Will the ND powers-that-be want an established head coach? I'm not sure of that, but do think ND President Fr. Jenkins, AD Jack Swarbrick and Muffet (if she has the input on this which I think she'll have) would like to focus on an ND grad/insider. These three ND grads come to mind:
- Niele Ivey. Probably an odds-on fan favorite at this time. Guard coach, recruiter par excellence, revered alum and very respected & liked within WCBB. Member of our one national championship team, to boot. Only downside is not having HC experience and doubt she'll go anywhere to get it while her son is in high schoo in South Bend (he's a frosh), since he's grown up in the shadow of the Dome.
- Beth Cunningham. She did a commendable job as HC at VCU for years before coming back to ND to join MM. She's not an assc. head coach like Niele and Carole Owens, but she was a head coach. Not in the public eye as much as Ivey, perhaps, but respected. Another seminal figure in ND bball history with a retired number.
- Megan Duffy. Just got her first head-coaching gig at Miami University, which is right in her "home area" of SW Ohio. Played pro and moved up the ranks at St. John's, George Washington and Michigan. Let's see how she does in four-five years. If well, her HC expeirence and the succession timing could coincide. BTW, Duffy and Ivey are both point guards, as was Muffet, and I think there's a natural affinity.

The Observer, the student-run paper at Notre Dame, ran a lengthy article on MM following the her naming to the Basketball Hall of Fame. It's primarily centered around interviews with these alums: Riley, Natalie Achonwa, Kayla McBride (Kmac) and Michaela Mabrey, who just took an assistant job with Duffy at Miami. Achonwa has said she wants to get into coaching after her playing career is over. I expect both her and Mabrey to excel in this profession. Here's the article. It's long but informative because it comes from players' persepctive.

And the student writer is good (and funny, read her bio at the end.)
‘She's a Hall of Fame person. Period.’: Former players reflect on McGraw's Hall of Fame career, legacy after her 30th season at Notre Dame // The Observer
Nice. I think college coaching is one of those careers where it can be very easy to continue indefinitely because there is a constant renewal with new freshman to develop each year, and at the same time it can all turn sour in a heartbeat. If the fresh blood coming into the program turns out not to be 'fun to work with' or if coaching and staff changes become problematic, the whole happy work environment can change to drudgery.

I think one of the things you saw in the HBO series was how well oiled the Uconn program is in it's current incarnation with a great coaches room, a united team, and an easy relationship between the two. But that can be a delicate balance to maintain.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I had recollection (perhaps incorrect) that Trakh was fired by USC unjustly. But, he didn't make the NCAA tourney in 3 of his 5 years. Not sure why they would think re-hiring him would be a good idea; and he's already 61. Perhaps they are just looking for someone to get the program a bit back on "track" . . .
Actually Trakh wasnt fired by USC. His contract was up and was offered a one year extension. His assistants had already left, Jody and Derek Wynn to LBSU and Kai Felton went to Oregon(she now is at Cal). With a one year extension it would have been impossible to get quality coaches to come to USC not knowing if they had more than a year there. So Trakh decided to leave. This was all caused by 3 former people in the USC AD's office, Mike Garrett, I believe her name was Carol Daughtry(sp?) and another guy named Brandon Martin(now at Cal State Northridge). They brought in Michael Cooper. That was the start of Fudging up the USC program. By the way, I hold nothing against Michael Cooper. I think he is ten times the coach that Cynthia Cooper is/was. He also never caused any of the mental anguish that I heard of from the recent Coopers time at the school. His teams missed out on the NCAA by about one win each of his first three years there. Which was his downfall.
Hopefully the program gets back on the Right "Trakh"

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Hey there.

These three ND grads come to mind:
- Niele Ivey. Probably an odds-on fan favorite at this time. Guard coach, recruiter par excellence, revered alum and very respected & liked within WCBB. Member of our one national championship team, to boot. Only downside is not having HC experience
- Beth Cunningham. She did a commendable job as HC at VCU for years before coming back to ND to join MM. She's not an assc. head coach like Niele and Carole Owens, but she was a head coach.... Another seminal figure in ND bball history with a retired number.
- Megan Duffy. Just got her first head-coaching gig at Miami University....BTW, Duffy and Ivey are both point guards, as was Muffet, and I think there's a natural affinity.

The Observer, the student-run paper at Notre Dame, ran a lengthy article on MM following the her naming to the Basketball Hall of Fame....And the student writer is good (and funny, read her bio at the end.)
Thanks for feedback and full edification for all of us. I have truncated some of the comments to focus on points. I find the strong parallels between the programs to be the true indicators why they are both so successful. MM and Geno from Philly, both worked for Foster, both have built the programs, garnered huge support, developed talent in playing and coaching, brought back players as coaches and are both HOF inductees.
Neither coach will be leaving soon in my mind (5-7 yrs is my guess) and the fact the schools pay well for assistants, both programs have low turnover. Both schools will have an interesting decision to make as 1. Do you turn the program over to a long time assistant who was a star former player but has never proven any coaching skills (heed the warning of Tennessee; 2. Pass it on to a former player who has coached in D1 with moderate success (please opine if MM former players have had notable success as I don't recall but I am not fully vetted) 3. Go for best candidate out there, knowing the job is either the top or 2nd best job in WCBB? Slight apologies to the former top program in Knoxville but it's been 10 years now since you've been a relevant top 5 program (and that's being kind)

Thanks for the insight and I always welcome your views. :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Trakh was unfortunate to have a lot of players injured during his tenure at USC.
That rings a bell. We weren't out here in AZ yet, still in NJ when he was at USC. Did know of him, although he was not at Pepperdine when RU played them and we were there (it was Julie Rousseau at the time).

Although Arizona did play NMSU a number of times, we never made the games (my wife has health issues). However, we did see NMSU under Trakh in Las Cruces when former RU assistant Mitchell was at UCSB and we went to see them play there. Always liked him and hope he does well in this stint at USC.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Thanks for feedback and full edification for all of us. I have truncated some of the comments to focus on points. I find the strong parallels between the programs to be the true indicators why they are both so successful. MM and Geno from Philly, both worked for Foster, both have built the programs, garnered huge support, developed talent in playing and coaching, brought back players as coaches and are both HOF inductees.
Neither coach will be leaving soon in my mind (5-7 yrs is my guess) and the fact the schools pay well for assistants, both programs have low turnover. Both schools will have an interesting decision to make as 1. Do you turn the program over to a long time assistant who was a star former player but has never proven any coaching skills (heed the warning of Tennessee; 2. Pass it on to a former player who has coached in D1 with moderate success (please opine if MM former players have had notable success as I don't recall but I am not fully vetted) 3. Go for best candidate out there, knowing the job is either the top or 2nd best job in WCBB? Slight apologies to the former top program in Knoxville but it's been 10 years now since you've been a relevant top 5 program (and that's being kind)

Thanks for the insight and I always welcome your views. :)

Probably the two former Irish (and MM-coached) players who have done well at the D1 level:

- The aforementioned Beth (Morgan) Cunningham is VCU's all-time leader in women's basketball coaching wins, having successfully piloted VCU to a 167-115 (.592) record and postseason appearances in each of her final five seasons, including the program's first-ever NCAA Championship berth.

- Coquese Washington has been at Penn State for just around a decade as HC. While coaching PSU, Washington has guided the program to four NCAA Tournament berths and one appearance in the WNIT. Her best years were with the Maggie Lucas-led teams. She's got an interesting background, having received an undergrad (history) and grad degree (law) from ND. Utilizing that latter degree, she helped create the WNBA Players Association (WNBPA), serving as the founding president of the WNBPA from 1999 until 2001. She also was on the Houston Comets for a few years.

I agree with that 5-7 year time frame and that's why I suggested we keep an eye on Megan Duffy, who just started at Miami U. of Ohio. If the time frame goes longer than that, see what head coaching job Michaela Mabrey earns....she'll be a fast riser.

In the meantime, let's sit back and enjoy what Geno (and his staff) and Muffet (ditto) continue to do.....:cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom