Coaching Carousel 2017 (merged threads) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Coaching Carousel 2017 (merged threads)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
For a program that hasn't had success in eons, I think d3 is risk worth trying.

Sure. But if you live in the glow of UI's publicity machine as I do, you'd see it as a bit of a head-scratcher. Illinois goes in for splashy hires whenever possible (see Lovie Smith in football, for example). I am not putting their new hire down - I have no inside information at all. I've just seen a parade of WCBB coaches fail here over the last 20 or so years, and in most cases the failures weren't a complete surprise.

Reaction Score
Sure. But if you live in the glow of UI's publicity machine as I do, you'd see it as a bit of a head-scratcher. Illinois goes in for splashy hires whenever possible (see Lovie Smith in football, for example). I am not putting their new hire down - I have no inside information at all. I've just seen a parade of WCBB coaches fail here over the last 20 or so years, and in most cases the failures weren't a complete surprise.

But that's kinda the point here, right? They've gone for splashy hires and none have worked. They've tried in WCBB and failed consistently as well. In this case, I think trying something different is warranted. Not saying it's gonna work, but I think it's good to not just go through the motion and do the same old thing that has regularly not produced results.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
But that's kinda the point here, right? They've gone for splashy hires and none have worked. They've tried in WCBB and failed consistently as well. In this case, I think trying something different is warranted. Not saying it's gonna work, but I think it's good to not just go through the motion and do the same old thing that has regularly not produced results.

Again, you get no argument from me. I have no dog in their fight.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Whitman's only a year into the AD job but it's clear he doesn't do "same old, same old".

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Whitman's only a year into the AD job but it's clear he doesn't do "same old, same old".

Well, not in terms of Illinois he doesn't. But to some degree, his hiring of Fahey is just that -- they both worked together at WashU. Of course, she was pretty much an icon -- 30+ years -- but he was the AD there before coming back to his alma mater.
On the floor, she can coach...something like 5 NCAA championships. Now, can she recruit at the D1 level? We'll see, but she does get her current players from Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc,, which is part of the Illini strike zone. Can she make inroads into the Chitown scene? Time will tell.

Reaction Score
On the floor, she can coach...something like 5 NCAA championships.

Career record: 737 - 133 .847
2nd highest percentage among coaches with more than 600 wins
5th highest percentage all-time among coaches with 10 or more seasons

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I wrote in an earlier post that I didn't think Suzie McConnell Serio had knocked the doors down the last few years at Pittsburgh but was safe due to her family history and length of contract. However, her leading scorer just announced that she's transferring with the dreaded caveat "....she believes she has to go elsewhere to get what she wants out of her time in college." Considering that Wise is from Pittsburgh, I don't think that's a knock on her hometown city.

I still think that contract is too much to chew, but I don't see anyone flocking to the Three Rivers area here, given that's the second straight year a leading starting forward has left the team.

Brenna Wise to transfer from Pitt women's basketball program

As for Wise, I love her game, but the ACC transfer rules are prohibitive. She had looked at Villanova prior to deciding on Pitt. Another possible landing spot in the Big East could be DePaul. Big 1G -- Michigan? Northwestern?

Thanks for doing this. What I've learned about non-revenue producing sports is not just to look at the records and how long they've been there, but to also look at how long the contract they're working under goes for. In many instances, schools won't/don't want to eat contacts for a few years.
So with that in mind, a comment or three:
Other schools:

- Pittsburgh: Since going 20-12 in 2014-15, Suzie McConnell-Serio has gone 13-18 and 13-17. Has lost some transfers and everything looks a bit flat. But she and her family are iconic so I think she's still safe. That and the contract through 20-21.
- Clemson: Audra Smith is reaching the end of her five-year contract that she received when she came over from UAB. They were under .500 again this year and although they play hard, they're overmatched in most league games, particularly in regards to offense. Clemson wants to win and they just renovated their basketball facilities. This situation could change due to the lack of years left in the contract.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Fasoula To Transfer from BC

I didn't quite know where to piggyback this development, but remembered writing this piece on BC's coach.

Fasoula, who just finished her sophomore year, was the team's leading scorer and rebounder. She is one of those 6/4" players who does not look like a primo athlete (like, say, A'ja Wilson), but she scores in interesting ways and always seems to be around the ball.

The only other scorer in double figures -- Kelly Hughes -- is graduating. And a check of the BC roster now shows 8 players. Not a good situation.

I know Coach Johnson's contract goes on for two more years but the new athletic director needs to address this ASAP. Stay tuned.

http://bcheights.com/2017/03/28/mariella-fasoula-transfer-boston-college-womens-basketball/

Thanks for doing this. What I've learned about non-revenue producing sports is not just to look at the records and how long they've been there, but to also look at how long the contract they're working under goes for. In many instances, schools won't/don't want to eat contacts for a few years.
So with that in mind, a comment or three:

- Boston College. I, too, wondered if Erik Johnson was under the axe. They really had no chance of winning their games against ND. He's largely recruiting from overseas at this point. Not that there are not good international players (his Greek center is excellent, if not unique), but it shows he's not making inroads, even in BC's traditional recruiting sweet spot for all sports -- New Jersey.

Anyways, his contract was renewed and extended until the end of the 2018-2019 season. The athletic director who tendered that extension -- Brad Bates -- just resigned and his replacement has not been named. However, BC Athletics has issues with it's football and Men's Basketball programs, so Erik Johnson -- who is supposed to be a good guy -- is probably safe for one more year. But after that? Dillon's Druthers: Carla Berube seems to like living in the Boston area. Maybe she'd like a move over to D-1? One that does not involve direct competition with Geno?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Duffy, former ND point guard, take over HC Job at Miami University of Ohio

Congrats to Megan, one of my favorite point guards from Notre Dame, who has paid her dues and made contributions to all the programs she's worked on in her coaching career.

This move (back) to southern Ohio makes all the sense in the world from a progression standpoint, as well as location.

She's been well taught by Kim Barnes Arico at both St. John's and Michigan and Jonathan Tsipis at George Washington. And she certainly made solid contributions to both programs and left Michigan on a high note, with the Wolverines winning the WNIT title in a triple-overtime showdown over Georgia Tech.

Interestingly, she's been in charge of guards and her primary pupil was Katelynn Flaherty, a south Jersey kid who just so happens to have been a teammate and friend of the Mabreys.
At GW, she was also Tsipis' chief recruiter and many of the players that upper classmen that populated that roster were recruited by Duffy and she was in charge of the guards, as well.

As pointed out, she's from that neck of the woods and should have long-standing inroads into the southern Ohio high school and AAU scene, including Lakota West, Mason, etc. (Big name schools had better watch it with players like a Sammie Puisis :) ).

Personally, I think it's beneficfial to get some HC experience for asst. coaches before jumping into a top position. As much as asst. coaches do these days, there's still nothing that prepares you for the top job like being on the hot seat. A mid-major for a coach likMegan is a perfect step.

Duffy Chosen to Lead Miami Womens Basketball

Reaction Score
Remind me what P5 jobs have been filled - Florida, Illinois, and Arkansas. Any others?
USC and Washington are open.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Remind me what P5 jobs have been filled - Florida, Illinois, and Arkansas. Any others?
USC and Washington are open.

- Florida: Cameron Newbauer (from Belmont)
- Illinois: Nancy Fahey (from Wash U.)
- Arkansas: Mike Neighbors (from Washington)
- Washington: Vacant
- USC: Vacant

To check on all D1 coaching positions, go to:

List of current NCAA Division I women's basketball coaches - Wikipedia

Scroll down to the chart, click twice on the heading "First season" to sort the list by year, so current vacancies and new coaches will be at the top.Pretty helpful tool.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
From the link above
According to one source, Cardoza was underwhelming in her interview. So it looks like she's not under consideration anymore.
If Cardoza was underwhelming, what in the hell is USC looking for in a coach.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
If Cardoza was underwhelming, what in the hell is USC looking for in a coach.
I am not sure what USC wants, other than the on line job app asked for someone with college experience and NCAA tournament experience. The person in charge of the hiring is a gal named Donna Heinel, and IMO, she screwed up the first time when they hired Cooper-Dyke, and not firing her after many problems with student athletes getting in trouble or leaving the program. I guess they, upper folks at USC, didnt want to eat the contract.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
This will be interesting, if the person they want takes the job ;)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I am not sure what USC wants, other than the on line job app asked for someone with college experience and NCAA tournament experience. The person in charge of the hiring is a gal named Donna Heinel, and IMO, she screwed up the first time when they hired Cooper-Dyke, and not firing her after many problems with student athletes getting in trouble or leaving the program. I guess they, upper folks at USC, didnt want to eat the contract.

Well in regards to "upper folks at USC" not wanting to eat the contract, that certainly wouldn't be the first time we've heard of and/or seen that in play. You can almost put a stop watch on when a job will open up depending on the termination date of a contract and/or extension.

Call me crazy, but isn't the obvious candidate for that job sitting just beyond their noses in Long Beach State? Jody Wynn has done wonders at Long Beach State and nearly pulled off that upset at Oregon State this tournament. Back-to-back 20-win seasons, WNIT bids to go along with the NCAA and always making the Big West tourney. Plus, she's a USC grad and was an assistant coach there the previous decade. She's also been at Pepperdine and grew up in Brea. Know California much? :cool: :confused:
Here's her bio:
Jody Wynn Bio - Women's Basketball - Long Beach State Official Athletic Site

Like you and CocoHusky said, got to wonder what folks are thinking.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Well in regards to "upper folks at USC" not wanting to eat the contract, that certainly wouldn't be the first time we've heard of and/or seen that in play. You can almost put a stop watch on when a job will open up depending on the termination date of a contract and/or extension.

Call me crazy, but isn't the obvious candidate for that job sitting just beyond their noses in Long Beach State? Jody Wynn has done wonders at Long Beach State and nearly pulled off that upset at Oregon State this tournament. Back-to-back 20-win seasons, WNIT bids to go along with the NCAA and always making the Big West tourney. Plus, she's a USC grad and was an assistant coach there the previous decade. She's also been at Pepperdine and grew up in Brea. Know California much? :cool: :confused:
Here's her bio:
Jody Wynn Bio - Women's Basketball - Long Beach State Official Athletic Site

Like you and CocoHusky said, got to wonder what folks are thinking.

Since the want ad at USC asked for NCAA Tournament experience , Wynn, barely qualifies. In her 7 years at LBSU only one Big Dance. She was also supposedly rumored for the opening at Grand Canyon Univ. in Phoenix. Not sure why going there, another Mid Major(WAC).

I think one of the twitter sites said that Kate Paye, AC at Stanford, has suddenly added USC WBB and or USCWBB players to her followers. I would take Paye in a second. I have nothing but positive feedback from the people I know at Stanford. Paye is supposedly also now following Washington Huskies, similar to USC.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Since the want ad at USC asked for NCAA Tournament experience , Wynn, barely qualifies. In her 7 years at LBSU only one Big Dance. She was also supposedly rumored for the opening at Grand Canyon Univ. in Phoenix. Not sure why going there, another Mid Major(WAC).

I think one of the twitter sites said that Kate Paye, AC at Stanford, has suddenly added USC WBB and or USCWBB players to her followers. I would take Paye in a second. I have nothing but positive feedback from the people I know at Stanford. Paye is supposedly also now following Washington Huskies, similar to USC.

Re: Wynn. Yes, the NCAA appearance was this year, but everything has been upwardly mobile, so to speak, since she's been there in terms of the conference, WNIT appearances and 20-win seasons. Remember the program and conference we're talking about. Having said that, if it's not sparkly enough for USC brass, I could see them looking at Kate Paye.
But I wonder about Paye. She's been there 10 years now and is a Stanford blue-blood so to speak.
I've read that she might be the one assistant Stanford is keeping around if and when Tara decides to hang it up. Or she's hanging around to see if she could move up. A somewhat similar situation to Niele Ivey at Notre Dame and Shea Ralph at UConn.
On the other hand, USC and Wash. would be hard to turn a blind/loyal eye if she is tempted to run her own. ship.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Paye is an interesting candidate for both Pac 12 jobs. I'm kind of imagining in my mind, Stanford lets her get some head coaching experience somewhere else for...however many years, and then she's ready to take over when Tara decides to retire. UW has been burned twice in a row by coaches returning to their roots after a few years coaching the Huskies. I kinda think they need to find someone who views UW as a destination job rather than a stepping stone this time around.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
If I recall, Kate Paye either adopted a baby or had one through a surrogate. A head coaches salary is a lot more than an assistant(most likely) and if she wants the best for the baby, by providing a stronger financial future, perhaps its time to stop waiting for Tara to hang them up and move on for bigger $$

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom