Coaching Carousel 2017 (merged threads) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Coaching Carousel 2017 (merged threads)

Reaction Score

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Raoul‏ @Raoul_000 7h7 hours ago
Source says those interviewing for Washington WBB opening include Kate Paye (Stanford AC) Loree Payne (Puget Sound HC) Morgan Valley (UW AC)

Huh, that's the first I've seen Valley listed as a candidate. I'm sure all of you UConn fans are rooting for Morgan, but I'd rather see Payne named if it came down to those two. Loree has head coaching experience and she's from the NW, wouldn't worry about her moving across the country after a few years if she does well. But that's just my opinion.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, how is Geno's coaching tree? Rizzoti was doing really well for a while. Not sure about the others having much in the way of sustained success.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, how is Geno's coaching tree? Rizzoti was doing really well for a while. Not sure about the others having much in the way of sustained success.
Jen just started at George Washington after 15 years at Hartford, Tonya at Temple has that program on solid footing, Jamelle has struggled at Cincinnati which seems to not be all that supportive (they have scheduled the women's team to play in a HS gym next year!) So decent mid level success. Down at D3 the Tufts program has been stellar under Carla who seems to be happy at that level and not looking to move up. There are a number of assistants out there at this point but nothing much to say about them. I think I have left out another coach but can't remember. Not a particularly large tree as he has had a total of four assistants for the last 20 years and two are still with Uconn (not counting CD.) The assistants and Jen and Carla are former players and have never worked on the coaching side with Geno.

Reaction Score
Jen just started at George Washington after 15 years at Hartford, Tonya at Temple has that program on solid footing, Jamelle has struggled at Cincinnati which seems to not be all that supportive (they have scheduled the women's team to play in a HS gym next year!) So decent mid level success. Down at D3 the Tufts program has been stellar under Carla who seems to be happy at that level and not looking to move up. There are a number of assistants out there at this point but nothing much to say about them. I think I have left out another coach but can't remember. Not a particularly large tree as he has had a total of four assistants for the last 20 years and two are still with UConn (not counting CD.) The assistants and Jen and Carla are former players and have never worked on the coaching side with Geno.

The keys to success in WBB Coaching: Have a 5 year plan Admin must buy in and provide financial support and know there will be lean year---Recruit as well as possible develop a fan base---work with local media then pray a lot. The point of all this is
a top coach, without a built in reputation, and/or Admin buy in--team buy in --your chances are minimal to break the top 50--Dawn
with Name recognition of her own and with Geno in the Olympics/USA has risen quickly.
Sherri Coale comes to mind---her step up was Geno---and Admin of the Sooners--but she went up fast to an NC, faster than Dawn. Did she have built in talent??

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wasn't he the Dayton Coach who resigned due to "driving himself to exhaustion?"

Yes, he's one in the same. It's a smart person that knows when to bail out of a stressful situation, pull the "rip cord", and take a break. Sometimes a little time off, and a fresh new environment can do wonders for a person's psyche and mental approach to their next employment landscape. In life, you do what to gotta do. I for one am not mad at him. There's nothing worse than staying in a job (or position) that you hate, or is making you ill, especially when you can afford to take that break. I wish him lots of luck and favor in his new position. :)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yes, he's one in the same. It's a smart person that knows when to bail out of a stressful situation, pull the "rip cord", and take a break. Sometimes a little time off, and a fresh new environment can do wonders for a person's psyche and mental approach to their next employment landscape. In life, you do what to gotta do. I for one am not mad at him. There's nothing worse than staying in a job (or position) that you hate, or is making you ill, especially when you can afford to take that break. I wish him lots of luck and favor in his new position. :)

I'm with you. Please don't misinterpret my use of quotation marks as casting aspersions on him. He did nothing short of a great job at Dayton and enjoyed watching his teams play over the years; in particular, the Flyers battles with George Washington.

I completely agree with you that folks should -- if possible -- get out of situations that are deleterious to their and/or others' health. "Industrial Disease," to borrow the Dire Straits song from a few decades ago, can be wearing and cumulative in its effects.
All power to him for stepping out and aside, going overseas for a bit and now trying it again...hopefully in a way that is satisfying, successful and healthy(ier) for him. Enjoy it in Florida! :cool:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Payne Takes No. Arizona Lumberjack HC Position

Raoul‏ @Raoul_000 3h3 hours ago
Loree Payne named Northern Arizona WBB coach; was head coach at D-III Puget Sound last seven years (record: 130-58)
Loree Payne Named NAU Women's Basketball Head Coach - Northern Arizona

Raoul‏ @Raoul_000 Apr 6
Source says those interviewing for Washington WBB opening include Kate Paye (Stanford AC) Loree Payne (Puget Sound HC) Morgan Valley (UW AC)

So, if Ms. Payne -- a Washington alum -- took the Northern Arizona job, that probably means she was not in consideration for the UW position. Does this cut it down to Kate Paye of Stanford and Morgan Valley, one of Neighbor's assistant coaches? Or is there someone else? Do our west coast contributors have any insights/reactions?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Dillon, I have no intel on the status of the coaching search at UW.

I don't know anything about Payne as a head coach. I haven't traipsed down to Tacoma to watch a UPS game (I actually attended there my freshman year before going elsewhere, but that was quite some time ago). I was intrigued about her as a possible HC candidate at UW. We'll see how she does at NAU.

Going after a promising assistant coach can pay dividends. However there is just no way to know how someone will do as a HC until they actually become one. Tia Jackson seemed like a really good hire, had the pedigree, reputation as a good recruiter, was an assistant under several highly respected and successful coaches, but it didn't pan out. Turns out she just wasn't HC material.

Whoever they end up getting, they have to do a better job recruiting, particularly in their local area, than what has transpired the last several years. I have some concern about Valley because she was part of the coaching staff that did such a poor job recruiting. If she is named as HC, it is absolutely imperative that she get some coaches on her staff w/ strong ties and recruiting connections in the NW and West Coast. Neighbors failed miserably in that regard and it's left the team without much in the way of talent now that Plum and Osahor have used up their eligibility.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Dillon, I have no intel on the status of the coaching search at UW.

I don't know anything about Payne as a head coach. I haven't traipsed down to Tacoma to watch a UPS game (I actually attended there my freshman year before going elsewhere, but that was quite some time ago). I was intrigued about her as a possible HC candidate at UW. We'll see how she does at NAU.

Going after a promising assistant coach can pay dividends. However there is just no way to know how someone will do as a HC until they actually become one. Tia Jackson seemed like a really good hire, had the pedigree, reputation as a good recruiter, was an assistant under several highly respected and successful coaches, but it didn't pan out. Turns out she just wasn't HC material.

Whoever they end up getting, they have to do a better job recruiting, particularly in their local area, than what has transpired the last several years. I have some concern about Valley because she was part of the coaching staff that did such a poor job recruiting. If she is named as HC, it is absolutely imperative that she get some coaches on her staff w/ strong ties and recruiting connections in the NW and West Coast. Neighbors failed miserably in that regard and it's left the team without much in the way of talent now that Plum and Osahor have used up their eligibility.

So, Paye will stay at Stanford and Payne is at Northern Arizona. Wonder if they're looking at someone else besides Ms. Valley at Washington? And Paye was also mentioned for USC and there's been absolute "under the rock" silence on that front.

1. Kate Paye, rumored to be in the mix for the head coaching jobs at USC and Washington, has confirmed she is staying at Stanford.

Raoul added,

Janie McCauleyVerified account @JanieMcCAP
    Kate Paye is committed to @StanfordWBB: "I love Stanford and am excited to be here for the foreseeable future," she said in an email.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought he left Dayton because of health issues---I though it was his heart????
I guess the health of his wallet makes his body healthier---I don't blame him. If he doesn't care for himself--on one else shall.
I like the guy and I think he is an excellent coach.
Health issues can be resolved. It is called healing.

Reaction Score
Health issues can be resolved. It is called healing.
And some diseases, health issues, reportedly his heart---don't heal over night or ever---A person with a heart that caused them to retire ---would most probably be told to ---watch your diet, control your fatty intakes, exercise (to the limits dictated) and don't take a stressful job. .. Healing does not happen completely --but when it is controlled as above---success is in living longer You do read old postings don't you???? What you didn't post , Below.
You can always tell a nitpicker---they pick selectively out of a posting---read the rest HERE.
I guess the health of his wallet makes his body healthier---I don't blame him. If he doesn't care for himself--no one else shall. I like the guy and I think he is an excellent coach.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
So, Paye will stay at Stanford and Payne is at Northern Arizona. Wonder if they're looking at someone else besides Ms. Valley at Washington? And Paye was also mentioned for USC and there's been absolute "under the rock" silence on that front.

1. Kate Paye, rumored to be in the mix for the head coaching jobs at USC and Washington, has confirmed she is staying at Stanford.

Raoul added,

Janie McCauleyVerified account @JanieMcCAP
    Kate Paye is committed to @StanfordWBB: "I love Stanford and am excited to be here for the foreseeable future," she said in an email.

Amy Tucker, Tara's long-time sidekick at Stanford, is retiring from coaching and taking an administrative position. Kate Paye becomes even more important. Perhaps this development might've had something to do with Paye deciding to stay at Stanford and not engage in talks with Washington and/or USC.

Assistant Tucker retiring from Stanford sideline

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Updates on both the USC and Washington searches, as of April 13th and 12th, respectively:

- USC has offered the HC position to FGCU's Karl Smesko. If he takes it, both HC Basketball Coaches will have come from FGCU. He's allegedly considering the offer. Interestingly, the subject of the Washington search is also a finalist for the USC post ....

Sources: Smesko offered USC job

- Washington: Long Beach Coach Jody Wynn is currently in the primary cross-hairs of the Huskies search, although others are mentioned. Pretty good analysis as to pro's-cons. (The author wants an assistant coach to come along, too, arguing her greatest success has come once he joined the staff.)

Washington Huskies Women’s Basketball Coaching Search Narrowing

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Updates on both the USC and Washington searches, as of April 13th and 12th, respectively:

- USC has offered the HC position to FGCU's Karl Smesko. If he takes it, both HC Basketball Coaches will have come from FGCU. He's allegedly considering the offer. Interestingly, the subject of the Washington search is also a finalist for the USC post ....

Sources: Smesko offered USC job

- Washington: Long Beach Coach Jody Wynn is currently in the primary cross-hairs of the Huskies search, although others are mentioned. Pretty good analysis as to pro's-cons. (The author wants an assistant coach to come along, too, arguing her greatest success has come once he joined the staff.)

Washington Huskies Women’s Basketball Coaching Search Narrowing
Dillon, outstanding as usual. Quick question- is Ivey posting for any HC positions this year that you know of?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Dillon, outstanding as usual. Quick question- is Ivey posting for any HC positions this year that you know of?

Not that I know of. I'd welcome Orangutan and FA's input to this one....

As you probably know, she was a finalist for the Vandy job last year, which ultimately went to Stephanie White.
Niele is a single parent and her son is now in high school so it will have to be the right kind of opportunity to make her leave a place that has been home for most of his -- and a major part of her -- life.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom