Coaching Carousel 2017 (merged threads) | The Boneyard

Coaching Carousel 2017 (merged threads)

Reaction Score
With conference tournaments underway, we will start to hear about openings.

Coaches on the hot seat:
ACC - UNC, BC (though I assume Hatchell will survive to get her 1000th)
B12 - none
B10 - Illinois, Rutgers
PAC - Wash St,
SEC - none?

There's been a lot of turnover in recent years, so many of the worst teams have coaches with less than 4 years tenure, and thus will likely be given a little while longer.

I would think Illinois & BC are the most likely to make a change.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Coaches on the hot seat:
B12 - none
B10 - Illinois, Rutgers
PAC - Wash St,
SEC - none?

There's been a lot of turnover in recent years, so many of the worst teams have coaches with less than 4 years tenure, and thus will likely be given a little while longer.

I'd be surprised if June Daugherty at Washington St is on the hot seat. If not for season-ending injuries to their top 3 scorers, this team would've probably made the tournament. Two of those three—Hristova (Jr.) and Brown (So.)—should be eligible to redshirt, and the third—Molina—was a two-time WBCA national freshman of the week, with breakout performances in wins over Oregon and UCLA, just before blowing out her knee in January.

Is Schneider at Kansas safe? They were bad last year and simply horrible this year, despite the good play of their UNC transfer Washington.

What about Butler at Florida? Lost her two best players, one to midseason transfer and the other to graduation. Not really seeing the upward trajectory for her program.

And what about Jimmy Dykes at Arkansas? Lost their last 11 games, also graduated the player who has led them in scoring for the past 4 years. And although I hate to say it, the whole anthem-kneeling thing seemed to alienate him and the team from the fan base in Fayetteville.

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Didn't CViv get a contact extension?? I think she will be safe!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

Coaches on the hot seat:
B12 - none
B10 - Illinois, Rutgers
PAC - Wash St,
SEC - none?

Considering the injuries that WSU have had I wouldnt see a problem bringing back Daugherty and hubby.
The coach that has to go, IMO, is at USC. She cant coach and from speaking to players who have been there the past few years the practices are not organized and the players arent motivated.

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if June Daugherty at Washington St is on the hot seat. If not for season-ending injuries to their top 3 scorers, this team would've probably made the tournament. Two of those three—Hristova (Jr.) and Brown (So.)—should be eligible to redshirt, and the third—Molina—was a two-time WBCA national freshman of the week, with breakout performances in wins over Oregon and UCLA, just before blowing out her knee in January.

Is Schneider at Kansas safe? They were bad last year and simply horrible this year, despite the good play of their UNC transfer Washington.

What about Butler at Florida? Lost her two best players, one to midseason transfer and the other to graduation. Not really seeing the upward trajectory for her program.

And what about Jimmy Dykes at Arkansas? Lost their last 11 games, also graduated the player who has led them in scoring for the past 4 years. And although I hate to say it, the whole anthem-kneeling thing seemed to alienate him and the team from the fan base in Fayetteville.

Thanks for WSU update. I kinda just looked at all the bottom teams and how they've been doing and how long the coach has been there. Though I did miss Florida. She should be on the hot seat too.

Shneider's been there 2 years. That seems way too quick to pull the trigger, especially at a school that has shown little interest in wcbb.
Dykes has been there 3. Again seems kinda fast to yank someone. Arkansas does have a better track record than KS, but 3 still seems a quick hook in a very competitive conference. Also I think they only had 1 senior.

Reaction Score
Didn't CViv get a contact extension?? I think she will be safe!

Yeah I'm sure she will. But if you look at track record the last 5 years, it's time for a change. RU has fallen off a cliff. Yes, this year they had some injuries and they should be better next year, but there's no doubt the game has passed them by.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thanks for WSU update. I kinda just looked at all the bottom teams and how they've been doing and how long the coach has been there. Though I did miss Florida. She should be on the hot seat too.

Shneider's been there 2 years. That seems way too quick to pull the trigger, especially at a school that has shown little interest in wcbb.
Dykes has been there 3. Again seems kinda fast to yank someone. Arkansas does have a better track record than KS, but 3 still seems a quick hook in a very competitive conference. Also I think they only had 1 senior.

Good point about Schneider. I'd forgotten it was only his 2nd year. I knew it was Dykes's 3rd, but they've gotten worse each season (made the tournament as a low seed in his 1st year). I think if he gets fired it's more because of the politics and how pissed off the fan base was over anthem-gate. The losing seasons are just the pretext.

Reaction Score
I think if he gets fired it's more because of the politics and how pissed off the fan base was over anthem-gate. The losing seasons are just the pretext.
anthem gate?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm sure she will. But if you look at track record the last 5 years, it's time for a change. RU has fallen off a cliff. Yes, this year they had some injuries and they should be better next year, but there's no doubt the game has passed them by.

Boy, they sure have fallen off a cliff. Apparently she has enough good will and tenure in the profession to drive her program off that mountain without any interference from the University. Just flickering into the darkness like a dying candle.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
With conference tournaments underway, we will start to hear about openings....I would think Illinois & BC are the most likely to make a change.

Possibly, but I doubt it for this year. The UI is under various forms of fiscal durress, most importantly that it has bought out a handful of expensive athletics contracts over the last five years, and they are still trying to completely recover. Next year? If things don't improve in men's and women's hoops, you might see both coaches get the viking funeral.

Plebe

Reaction Score
anthem gate?

Several players knelt during playing of national anthem as a form of protest. This was an early season (maybe preseason) game. Met with outrage from many of local fans.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've not really been a fan of June Daugherty. She was at UW before WSU, and I've felt like she was mediocre at best for years. This year however, she did a heck of a job considering all the injuries. The Cougs way overachieved this year. Several teams that finished below them in the conference have way more talent. They picked up a win in the conference tourney today against a half decent Colorado team.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I've not really been a fan of June Daugherty. She was at UW before WSU, and I've felt like she was mediocre at best for years. This year however, she did a heck of a job considering all the injuries. The Cougs way overachieved this year. Several teams that finished below them in the conference have way more talent. They picked up a win in the conference tourney today against a half decent Colorado team.
Yep. Feel like she always underachieves, but not this year. Not on the hot seat, anyhow.

I don't expect to see a lot of changes this year. As stated, a lot of not-long-term coaches. Vivian will probably be back, although her extension is not a done deal and could be the "excuse" not to bring her back. RU will be better next year, of course the end game (if there is one) is her getting 1000 wins and the positive publicity there-from (or, vice versa, the fallout from dismissing her, especially if her peers don't think it is all "on her" (and it probably isn't)). There is no good answer for the RU situation.

As to Dykes, I think he gets another year. Young team.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The coach that has to go, IMO, is at USC. She cant coach and from speaking to players who have been there the past few years the practices are not organized and the players arent motivated.

Happy days might be here today.
USC-WOT--Cooper-Dyke resigned(I was told by a reliable source she was let go)

Plebe

Reaction Score
Happy days might be here today.
USC-WOT--Cooper-Dyke resigned(I was told by a reliable source she was let go)

Whoa, you really nailed this one!

It was a pretty questionable hire, IMO. As I recall, she'd had only modest success at best at Prairie View A&M when she got the call-up.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Whoa, you really nailed this one!

It was a pretty questionable hire, IMO. As I recall, she'd had only modest success at best at Prairie View A&M when she got the call-up.
It was building up what went on behind the scenes, the departure of some players, the results, and also what she did to a player a few years ago, a former HS teammate of KML . I have spoken to a few players, and their families, who were at USC for the past four years, not one liked her.

Reaction Score
Ok, so who does USC go after?

The guy at Colorado St seems to have done a really nice job, though I doubt his Wyoming-Colorado background would really work in south central. He might be a better fit at Kansas.

Reaction Score
Ok, so who does USC go after?

The guy at Colorado St seems to have done a really nice job, though I doubt his Wyoming-Colorado background would really work in south central. He might be a better fit at Kansas.

Hmm, just noticed that the Long Beach St coach has done a good job AND she was an assistant and recruiting coordinator at USC in the mid-00s.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Beth Burns could be a replacement. She is currently an assistant and has success as a coach.

Whoever gets that job will inherit some good talent.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Jimmy Dykes out at Arkansas! I liked him!

Plebe

Reaction Score
Jimmy Dykes out as Arkansas coach

Dykes' final season was a trying one on and off the court. Arkansas made national headlines in the preseason when six players knelt during the playing of the national anthem prior to an exhibition game against Oklahoma Baptist. The decision to kneel later was described as a protest toward a legal system that unfairly targeted racial minorities.

The protest drew sharp criticism from many Arkansas fans toward the players and Dykes, who publicly supported his players' freedom of speech. Three of the six who protested later transferred during the season. In the most high-profile transfer, sophomore guard Jordan Danberry - a former Arkansas high school player of the year - transferred within the SEC to Mississippi State.​

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Coaches on the hot seat:
B12 - none
B10 - Illinois, Rutgers
PAC - Wash St,
SEC - none?

Thanks for doing this. What I've learned about non-revenue producing sports is not just to look at the records and how long they've been there, but to also look at how long the contract they're working under goes for. In many instances, schools won't/don't want to eat contacts for a few years.
So with that in mind, a comment or three:

- Boston College. I, too, wondered if Erik Johnson was under the axe. They really had no chance of winning their games against ND. He's largely recruiting from overseas at this point. Not that there are not good international players (his Greek center is excellent, if not unique), but it shows he's not making inroads, even in BC's traditional recruiting sweet spot for all sports -- New Jersey.

Anyways, his contract was renewed and extended until the end of the 2018-2019 season. The athletic director who tendered that extension -- Brad Bates -- just resigned and his replacement has not been named. However, BC Athletics has issues with it's football and Men's Basketball programs, so Erik Johnson -- who is supposed to be a good guy -- is probably safe for one more year. But after that? Dillon's Druthers: Carla Berube seems to like living in the Boston area. Maybe she'd like a move over to D-1? One that does not involve direct competition with Geno?

- North Carolina. Well, in exchange for throwing her under the bus, NC rewarded Sylvia Hatchell with an extension until 2019-2020. Plus, she's got the 1,000-wins milestone coming up and she just made it through a season with 6 or freshman. Don't see her going anywhere this year.
Maybe she and her staff are finally over DeShields and can move forward....

- Rutgers. Ah, the C. Vivian Stringer saga continues. I don't care if the facilities are not what they're supposed to be, Viv's offense is locked in another century and her way of relating to a large portion of today's kids is not hacking it. In some fairness to her, she's had injury issues -- losing Tyler Scaile doomed the team before the season started. She's got 4 redshirts coming back who should all start. It might be Viv's last stand...save for the fact that she's supposed to get a four-year extension to use the new all-purpose training facility they'll all practice in. But that deal has not been signed. Keep an eye on this one. I still think she'll get an extension but I'd love to get a hold of the buy-out clause. If she does not produce much better results next year, time to move on. Some articles on this:

Meet the 'Rojos': 'Hypest bench in America' on mission to rebuild Rutgers women's basketball

What's the deal with Rutgers and C. Vivian Stringer's contract extension?

Other schools:

- Pittsburgh: Since going 20-12 in 2014-15, Suzie McConnell-Serio has gone 13-18 and 13-17. Has lost some transfers and everything looks a bit flat. But she and her family are iconic so I think she's still safe. That and the contract through 20-21.
- Clemson: Audra Smith is reaching the end of her five-year contract that she received when she came over from UAB. They were under .500 again this year and although they play hard, they're overmatched in most league games, particularly in regards to offense. Clemson wants to win and they just renovated their basketball facilities. This situation could change due to the lack of years left in the contract.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Bummer for UConn transfer Sadie Edwards, who apparently chose USC at least in part for the coach. Hope she's comfortable with her replacement.

Depending who the new coach is this almost has to be a+ for Edwards.
Hopefully they will get a coach who teaches offensive sets, defense and a hard work ethic.
Perhaps sending the HBO videos from UConn to the new staff will help.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom