Coach K Last Season 2021-22 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coach K Last Season 2021-22

Reaction Score
duke would have been better served hiring erik spoelstra too, or rick carlisle, or doc rivers etc etc etc but no one voluntarily leaves the nba for college anymore. stevens is president of a $3.5 billion organization now for cryn out loud

Curiouser
Reaction Score
duke would have been better served hiring erik spoelstra too, or rick carlisle, or doc rivers etc etc etc but no one voluntarily leaves the nba for college anymore. stevens is president of a $3.5 billion organization now for cryn out loud
You're probably right, but Duke is different than any other college basketball job, and some guys want to win championships.

Reaction Score
That's what I'm thinking. Recruiting would not be an issue and it's a great place to coach basketball.
And his former assistant Kara Lawson is HC of the Duke women.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
And how much more attractive could a coach be to guys with their eyes on the NBA than one who actually coached in the league successfully?

I would simultaneously hate and love the move if it ever came to pass.

Hate, but yes.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
I always say that everybody who's not a Duke or Kentucky fan should LOVE UConn for that very reason.
Absolutely, and I think in general college basketball fans do find it easy to root for UConn when they go on one of their patented March runs. That’s been my personal experience, anyway

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You're probably right, but Duke is different than any other college basketball job, and some guys want to win championships.

Not anymore.

Or, not in a year.

The cache will wear off quickly once there aren't FF and there is no "play led for Coach K" cache.

Reaction Score
if i were a teenager i might actually prefer playing for Gerry Mac to the dweeb that is Jon Scheyer. excited to see how this plays out. Going forward UNC has a clear leg up on them with Hubert imo.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
There is no denying what Coach K has accomplished is great with 5 titles spanning 3 decades. A lot of coaches cheat, but not a lot of coaches who cheat actually win championships. So hats off to him for getting it done multiple times.

With that said, I’d love to see him get bounced as a 2 or 3 seed in the first round in classic Duke style.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Got to start thinking an announcement from Boeheim is on the horizon after Roy and now K calling it quits. Then again I'd be perfectly fine if he decided to stay at Cuse until his great-great grandson graduates...
Big Little Jimmy only gets one year of eligibility, but Buddy could take a 5th year, thereby complementing a pre-announced Spring 2023 retirement by his dad.

ESPN didn't get a chance to milk Roy's final season; will do everything to exploit K's last round; and there are so many Oranges in Bristol that the "3 ACC HoF Legends Retiring in 3 Consecutive Years, WOW!" storyline seems irresistible.

Leonard Hamilton is on the ballot for 2021, so there's even potential for a four-peat.

When the smoke clears, the conference can cross fingers for the double-expiration of 3-years Show Causes can clear the way for the brothers Miller to 'head home' to Pitt & NC State or, better yet, team up at either school, determined by a coin toss, at opening of NBA Lottery 2025.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

this is pretty cool

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So many dumb takes.

Whoever takes that job is doomed. Completely doomed.

Duke hit this one out of the park - you hire a forgettable alum who won’t cost you a fortune to buy out after his third mediocre year and then you hire your next real coach.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I always thought the job would go to Bobby Hurley when K retired since he has proven success.
That's kinda debatable. Mired in mediocrity at ASU...although that does seem to happen to every coach at ASU.

Reaction Score
This kid Sheyer an assistant coach or K's personal assistant?

Reaction Score
Calhoun talking about K retiring.

“Everybody always thinks I hate Mike. I love Mike, he’s been a really good friend. Anytime I’ve needed something I’ve called him, talked to him. I couldn’t have more respect for the way he coached. People used to say, ‘He looks so mean during the game.’ Yeah, like I looked like the fairy godmother.”

Free access article:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
K is a great coach
However I strongly feel his credibility took a huge hit the past dozen years with his 1 and done strategy - it just wasn't him
He loved to be known as a developer of players but so very few of all the Duke guys to make the NBA turned into legitimate stars.
The announcement is not as huge of a deal now because his teams were not very dangerous as of late - it is time for a change
Naming Scheyer as HC in waiting is dubious - they should look outside the Duke family IMHO
Good luck to K - get that damned back fixed
Unfortunately every one of Dukes games this upcoming season will be prime time and on ESPN - can't wait :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom