Coach K Last Season 2021-22 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach K Last Season 2021-22

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
But what about coaching vs. not coaching? Don't you think he'd rather coach than GM?

If so, he'd be the HC at Indiana right now. He's an Indiana guy. He's not going to Duke. Scheyer is all but a lock it seems.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If so, he'd be the HC at Indiana right now. He's an Indiana guy. He's not going to Duke. Scheyer is all but a lock it seems.
Except isn't he under contract for $35M over five years with the Celtics?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
i don't think it'll "damage" college sports - but it will certainly change how coaches have to operate. losing any bit of leverage on players like that will certainly impact the landscape. a lot of these older coaches might not be up to the task anymore.

It certainly makes the NBA more appealing.

Reaction Score
Good for him.

I doubt any violations will come to light. That's not really a thing anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if the transfer rules are part of the decision. I'm all for the players having added abilities to transfer (just like regular students) but I do understand it's going to significantly alter and likely damage college sports.
He is 74. You have to step down at some time unless you're Boeheim.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Except isn't he under contract for $35M over five years with the Celtics?

Yes. Still. Meaning they are still paying him and his job has changed. He's no more free than he was before.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes. Still. Meaning they are still paying him and his job has changed. He's no more free than he was before.
That’s what I thought. But I’m guessing they’d work something out if he wanted a non-NBA job.

I have no idea what his preferences are, just intrigued.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That’s what I thought. But I’m guessing they’d work something out if he wanted a non-NBA job.

I have no idea what his preferences are, just intrigued.

The speculation is that he's a bit burned out coaching. He did say he'd keep doing it if they hadn't offered the new job. He's got two school aged kids. I can imagine this job has some appeal compared to coaching and traveling over an NBA schedule. I was just saying that it would surprise me, if he wanted to coach college again, if he would prefer Duke to IU.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The speculation is that he's a bit burned out coaching. He did say he'd keep doing it if they hadn't offered the new job. He's got two school aged kids. I can imagine this job has some appeal compared to coaching and traveling over an NBA schedule. I was just saying that it would surprise me, if he wanted to coach college again, if he would prefer Duke to IU.
A ha. I thought you were talking Pacers, not IU.

Reaction Score
Great great coach no doubt. Was given way too much advantage by NCAA and ESPN but it doesn't take away from what he accomplished. Overall could be the greatest, but what we know he comes in 2nd to Jim Calhoun no matter where he stacks up.

The one-and-done buy in brought along a little disrespect in his late years but he did what he thought was necessary to stay near the top who can blame him. It will be painful to watch college basketball telecasts during the year for obvious reasons.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Great great coach no doubt. Was given way too much advantage by NCAA and ESPN but it doesn't take away from what he accomplished. Overall could be the greatest, but what we know he comes in 2nd to Jim Calhoun no matter where he stacks up.

The one-and-done buy in brought along a little disrespect in his late years but he did what he thought was necessary to stay near the top who can blame him. It will be painful to watch college basketball telecasts during the year for obvious reasons.

Probably the first time I've ever been happy we're on FOX - there will be some level of shielding. :)

Reaction Score
Oh, the K retirement tour is going be nausea inducing. Still the guy has had hell of a career, and it would have been a hell of a lot better if not for this guy:

View attachment 67778
The biggest intangibles of the 4 Uconn championships is that it: 1) prevented Coach K and Duke from winning two more and, 2) prevented Calipari and Kentucky from winning two more. Both kept the ESPN machine from being Duke and Kentucky all the time.

I find coach K's accomplishments quite admirable, but his abandonment of the Duke philosophy on one-and-dones to chase after Kentucky kind of spoiled his last years of coaching. He just seemed out of place trying to sell the Duke experience to players that were just passing through and headed to the NBA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Got to start thinking an announcement from Boeheim is on the horizon after Roy and now K calling it quits. Then again I'd be perfectly fine if he decided to stay at Cuse until his great-great grandson graduates...

Reaction Score
I expect Dukie V's announcement very soon.

1622659642150.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Got to start thinking an announcement from Boeheim is on the horizon after Roy and now K calling it quits. Then again I'd be perfectly fine if he decided to stay at Cuse until his great-great grandson graduates...
Bite your tongue. The man is a national treasure! Of course that nation would be Canada, so....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Putting aside whatever contractual obligations he's got with the Celts, if he was interested in going back to the college game, Duke >>>>>>>> Indiana. Even for a lifelong Hoosier.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The biggest intangibles of the 4 Uconn championships is that it: 1) prevented Coach K and Duke from winning two more and, 2) prevented Calipari and Kentucky from winning two more. Both kept the ESPN machine from being Duke and Kentucky all the time.

I find coach K's accomplishments quite admirable, but his abandonment of the Duke philosophy on one-and-dones to chase after Kentucky kind of spoiled his last years of coaching. He just seemed out of place trying to sell the Duke experience to players that were just passing through and headed to the NBA.

I always say that everybody who's not a Duke or Kentucky fan should LOVE UConn for that very reason.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Putting aside whatever contractual obligations he's got with the Celts, if he was interested in going back to the college game, Duke >>>>>>>> Indiana. Even for a lifelong Hoosier.
That's what I'm thinking. Recruiting would not be an issue and it's a great place to coach basketball.

Reaction Score
But what about coaching vs. not coaching? Don't you think he'd rather coach than GM?
He obviously loves coaching but moreso the Xs and Os than the player management. I think his personality is better served in the front office where he can focus on analytics, scouting and roster construction. I love this move by the organization.
If he was insistent on coaching, and the Cs didn’t want to keep him, the pacers would have hired him by now. their coach is not gonna stick around for long the players hate him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
K is a great coach but more importantly a great recruiter who built a tremendous advantage at Duke, a top notch school. Just look at the high level top 10, top 20 material he had to work with. They were like ripe fruit on a tree he was picking. He’s going to be slathered with praise over the next year and yes we will all want to throw up, at least I will because Duke’s built in media advantage at ESPN was something money or other schools couldn’t buy.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That's what I'm thinking. Recruiting would not be an issue and it's a great place to coach basketball.

He'd have so much more cachet than Jon Freaking Scheyer. The guy coached the Celtics! Well!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He'd have so much more cachet than Jon Freaking Scheyer. The guy coached the Celtics! Well!
And how much more attractive could a coach be to guys with their eyes on the NBA than one who actually coached in the league successfully?

I would simultaneously hate and love the move if it ever came to pass.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom