Clingan question | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Clingan question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Definitely think his foot injury set him very far back.

A month off for someone like him at his size can be a huge have a big effect. It’s not like he had an upper body injury that would’ve allowed him to keep conditioning. He looked so slim, balanced, and in great shape during the Europe scrimmages.

He’s not even in the shape he was his freshman year right now and it shows in how he hardly dunks this season. It’s also pretty hard to pickup new skills you don’t already have during the season offensively too so I wouldn’t expect the baby hook this season. Just hoping he can get healthy and work his way back to shape by March.

Reaction Score
Not that many. Wemby is a freak.

Aside from him, there is Derek Lively and that is the list of 7+ footers under 21 in the league and I wouldn't call him very skilled.

Chet is 21 as is Mark Williams and Pokusevski

Sengun is 6'11.
Lol. Great job pointing out all but one I had in mind. Either way, I want DC to improve and exceed expectation. Mainly because he is a Connecticut product!

Reaction Score
Clingan lack of a post game has nothing to do with his conditioning or health … he simply doesn’t have it he still plays like he did in hs basically off his height ..I was tell a friend he’s not a 1st rd pick let alone a lottery pick… he needs work on his lower body strength, a go to post move( I think he should face up b4 he attacks for now) & a counter … definitely expect to see him in storrs next year bc he def has a lot of work to do to support the hype he’s had/has… great passing & IQ tho

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I want him to shoot a couple 3's every game until he's comfortable taking them. He has a nice shooting stroke.

If he misses, your gasket problems will make me feel better.
He shoot’s 50 percent from the foul line. He’s never made a jump shot in his UConn career. His shooting stroke is anything but nice, it’s basically a hope and a prayer.

Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

There have been many great posts in this thread RE: Clingan & his development.

Donovan IS 7'2" & IS slowly growing into his body & his coordination is following behind. He's still a pup. Aint no NBA player yet or even a good Div I center either. Not enough rebound production - & that's knowing where the ball comes off the rim percentages wise (c'mon coaches, help the kid out, ok?!?).

DC doesn't have great natural touch in his hands & he hasn't been working on his footwork nor his free-throws as maniacally as Kareem did at the same stage. That's fact I know of first hand. I watched Kareem practice those all the time at the downtown courts in my neighborhood - Father Demo Square in NYC. Ha!

Some of Clingan's lack of coordination & stamina is due to his foot injury too. And that may not be ready for the tournament this year, needs rest.

There is a big man drill called the "Mikan Drill" that helps big men with their footwork & ability to shoot with left or right hand in rhythm up close.

In this drill, the guy stands about 1-2' facing in front of the rim. Takes a step to his right, jumps off left foot & shoots w/ right. Dunks or puts the ball off the backboard into the rim.

Catches the ball as it goes through the rim, KEEPING THE BALL UP - a HUGE CLINGAN FAULT, then he steps to the other side of the rim & jumps off his right foot. Then dunks or banks it in off the rim. Repeat this Mikan Drill back & forth a thousand times until you get the rhythm, floor spacing & footwoork coordinated. Those Mikans even helped Kareem with the footwork on his Sky Hook.

That's what Clingan needs for offense at this stage. Simple repetitive footwork drills.

Jump hooks - YES, which he must develop with either hand are next for Donovan along with giving himself enough room to operate around the rim - & not receiving passes under the rim. This will get him to the free-throw line more often.

Note: UConn guards MUST learn to hit Clingan right where he wants it high up in his open hand - and in rhythm! Not great at doing that so far on that.

BUT - what Donovan Clingan MUST NOT DO? Is to always bring the ball down as he sets his footwork for a shot. I watch defenses look for that common Big Man weakness in him. When he brings the ball down, DC is no longer 7'2", he's 6'5". And even helping guards easily take the ball away from him all the time when he does that. That's his worst habit as a post player to date.

Free-throws.
Clingan's form is pretty good. But he needs more practice because his release is all over the place - a tell-tale sign that he's not on the line much.

Three things. DC needs to bend his knees more on FT's. DC also needs to put less "hand" on the ball - & more fingertips on his release. Finally, Clingan needs to put more arch on his free-throws.

More fingertips & arch will really soften his shot, so he'll get more rolls when he typically goes long on his FT shot & hits the back of the rim.

Once he gets those three things sorted out, then..he needs again what? ..more repetition & FT practice every day AND NIGHT all year long. He must get his concentration down better. Repetition!!!

But then again, Donovan Clingan IS 7'2" tall & still a kid. How many of guys that tall have ever broken 65% for a season, ever? His body is catching up, so I'll cut him some slack but... CLINGAN'S 50% ON FT'S RATE will kill UConn in the tournament. "Sting-a-Cling" strategy? Ha!

The next time I see a guard take the ball away from Clingan in the post when he's bringing the ball down for a shot. I'll curse & thenget on his okole! I still really like his undeveloped game. He has a lot of heart - something you don't see much of in the NBA these days, just flashes.

Lotsa you's guys know about the Mikan Drill, right?

Father Demo

caw

Reaction Score
Lol. Great job pointing out all but one I had in mind. Either way, I want DC to improve and exceed expectation. Mainly because he is a Connecticut product!

Find him because I see no other 21 or under seven footers on nba.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog