Clingan question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clingan question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I dont understand why he doesnt try and jam over and through people. If he could figure out some of Sanogos footwork, he would be unstoppable. I always cringe when he puts it on the floor and starts backing up. Feels like hes gonna dribble it off his foot everytime or miss off the glass with something soft.

I have no knowledge of DCs current physical ailments, but to me it does not look like he is getting much lift off the ground. I think he is not 100% and he is fighting through it. I think he is one tough young man. In answer to the OP, he does not yet have the footwork that Sanogo had. It’s not that easy or you would see more guys with those moves. It took AS a bit of time to refine his low post skills. He was special. We had guys like Amida, Hasheem, etc. who, imo, did not have the combined hand/foot skills to do it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dumbledore, Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more. Dunk more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some good stuff here and some very funny takes too. Hey we don’t know what he’s going through physically at this point but it’s more than obvious that freshman bounce isn’t there for now. As some have stated I believe he’s playing through a tough sophomore season for now physically.

As far as the OP I agree. He’s shown a nice left handed jump hook on occasion so why not righty? He airballed a 4 footer the other day because he turned back into the defense to shoot it righty rather than just dropping in a lefty hook. This makes me think he’s still battling something and it’s making him change his thought process.

Hopefully a week off will begin the opportunity for him to get healthier we will see.

Reaction Score
If you can get yourself positioned close enough to the basket, as he generally does, there's no reason shoot from farther away. A hook shot is used to overcome a weakness.

Reaction Score
If you're 7'2" and shooting a jump hook, you're shooting the ball down to the rim. Jabbar made it look easy sure. But that's tough. Jabbar was a freak.

The sky hook required incredible touch and we haven’t seen it at that level and distance since then. Clingan could develop it but offenses want the advantage of the 3 or the % of the 1 foot shot. Only 1 Kareem.

Reaction Score
Why is it that we never see Donovan use the jump hook. It’s a high percentage shot for bigs. I’d love to see him catch it in the low post turn and shoot instead of him trying to dribble drive. Is there a reason it’s not in his arsenal? Are the coaches just not teaching it?
He used it versus New Hamphire.

Reaction Score
Logically, we know the coaches are working with DC on his post moves. But the truth is that there are probably 4 or 5 guys in college (and maybe the NBA) who are actually skilled in the low post. Everything is pick and roll now. the big will get the ball at the top of the key to draw the other center away from the basket, and then either back cut, or drive the other team to death. We seem to be pretty good at it, and are improving by the day.
Sanogo had a VERY unique skillset (similar to what Sengun does in the pro's), Announcers couldn't stop talking about his post moves every game, and that's because he was pretty much the only player in the country playing that way. We shouldn't expect to see that too often. DC doesn't do what Sanogo did, he does it his way. His gravity, whether in the post, or at the top of the key, opens up the offense for everyone else. He is a far better passer than AS, and better in the short roll, and the full roll to the basket.
His value on defense is what differentiates him from most other bigs. He may not average 6 blocks per game, but we all know how many times he alters shots actually attempted, or the other teams player will just forego a layup for a lower percentage shot just because DC was in the general area.
Post play, more than a few times per game, is not going to happen. And i don't just mean for DC, i mean for everyone. Watch any game and count how many times a player backs someone down like Sanogo did. The game isn't played that way anymore. Even last season, our very own team became much better when the ball went through Hawk and AJ more than Sanogo about midway through the conference season.
DC doesn't need to average huge counting stats to be taken in the top 10. If that mattered, Sanogo would have been drafted in the lottery. His potential as a defensive anchor (2-3 years after being drafted) will get him there. Almost everyone drafted between 4-15 is drafted on what they can be in a few years.
And next season, when Samson is (likely) our starting center, we will all be having a different conversation about why our offense is more ball-screen than it's ever been, and that will be because that's what Samson does best. He has absolutely no post game. He will draw a big defender away from the basket, and we will have the 1-4 taking floaters, or kicking the ball out to shooters while SJ rolls hard to the basket.

Wow, this turned out to be a long post. Apparently i'm very passionate about this subject.

Reaction Score
I dont understand why he doesnt try and jam over and through people. If he could figure out some of Sanogos footwork, he would be unstoppable. I always cringe when he puts it on the floor and starts backing up. Feels like hes gonna dribble it off his foot everytime or miss off the glass with something soft.
I feel like he is always rushing himself. Needs to slow down and keep the ball high. He needs to watch edney. Edney has a fraction of Donovans athleticism but very efficient. Donovan needs better shot put type shot, hook etc instead of trying to bank everything. He also needs to be more aggressive dunking on non alley oops.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Logically, we know the coaches are working with DC on his post moves. But the truth is that there are probably 4 or 5 guys in college (and maybe the NBA) who are actually skilled in the low post. Everything is pick and roll now. the big will get the ball at the top of the key to draw the other center away from the basket, and then either back cut, or drive the other team to death. We seem to be pretty good at it, and are improving by the day.
Sanogo had a VERY unique skillset (similar to what Sengun does in the pro's), Announcers couldn't stop talking about his post moves every game, and that's because he was pretty much the only player in the country playing that way. We shouldn't expect to see that too often. DC doesn't do what Sanogo did, he does it his way. His gravity, whether in the post, or at the top of the key, opens up the offense for everyone else. He is a far better passer than AS, and better in the short roll, and the full roll to the basket.
His value on defense is what differentiates him from most other bigs. He may not average 6 blocks per game, but we all know how many times he alters shots actually attempted, or the other teams player will just forego a layup for a lower percentage shot just because DC was in the general area.
Post play, more than a few times per game, is not going to happen. And i don't just mean for DC, i mean for everyone. Watch any game and count how many times a player backs someone down like Sanogo did. The game isn't played that way anymore. Even last season, our very own team became much better when the ball went through Hawk and AJ more than Sanogo about midway through the conference season.
DC doesn't need to average huge counting stats to be taken in the top 10. If that mattered, Sanogo would have been drafted in the lottery. His potential as a defensive anchor (2-3 years after being drafted) will get him there. Almost everyone drafted between 4-15 is drafted on what they can be in a few years.
And next season, when Samson is (likely) our starting center, we will all be having a different conversation about why our offense is more ball-screen than it's ever been, and that will be because that's what Samson does best. He has absolutely no post game. He will draw a big defender away from the basket, and we will have the 1-4 taking floaters, or kicking the ball out to shooters while SJ rolls hard to the basket.

Wow, this turned out to be a long post. Apparently i'm very passionate about this subject.
Enjoyed reading it.

Watched Wisconsin vs. Arizona and they almost play exclusively having their bigs dribble and back down opposing defenders. Ugly bb.

Arizona has players that can easily neutralize that style. Marquette otoh doesn’t hence the reason they lost to Wisconsin. Bad matchup for them.

Reaction Score
He is not healthy, he’s being a warrior playing through.
How long will people be able to say this season that his play is because he's not healthy? What's the health issue exactly? His pre-season foot injury was supposed to have been minor and did he have a cold or something? I don't think Clingan would use health as an excuse, but out fan base does. I see it more as stepping out of Sanogo's shadow has been tougher than expected.

Reaction Score
Clingan definitely has the skillset to be one of the best- Currently I think he is stronger on the defensive end than the offensive end. UConn has so much talent on the outside that you don't need to run a ton of plays through the 5.

A lot of comparison to Edey. Totally different players and offensive schemes. Edey can take over a game and foul out the competition. Painter runs everything through him . Clingan is a huge piece for UConn but he doesn't need to dominate every game like Edey for UConn to be successful.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
How long will people be able to say this season that his play is because he's not healthy? What's the health issue exactly? His pre-season foot injury was supposed to have been minor and did he have a cold or something? I don't think Clingan would use health as an excuse, but out fan base does. I see it more as stepping out of Sanogo's shadow has been tougher than expected.
It’s possible a mental component factors in. He’s similar to Hawkins. He gets down on himself after he makes a bad play. It’s not a stretch given his role is more important than last season the pressure to be perfect could be impacting his play.

I believe his free throw shooting is impacted because he can’t block out his fear of missing.

But it doesn’t have to be an all or nothing problem. Foot injuries, even minor ones, linger.

If he puts pressure on the foot in just the wrong way it could send a sharp pain impacting a play. Furthermore if he becomes conscious of it and fears he is doing damage that will set him back he could begin to play tentatively.

Donovan appears to be someone who gains weight quickly if he is unable to do lots of exercise. The added weight impacts his agility, puts more pressure on his feet and the negative cycle continues.

Given the plausibility of this it is not out of the realm of possibility the primary factor for his play is physical in nature.

Reaction Score
Use you eyes and listen to Hurley's post game presser after UNC...

Reaction Score
I feel like he is always rushing himself. Needs to slow down and keep the ball high. He needs to watch edney. Edney has a fraction of Donovans athleticism but very efficient. Donovan needs better shot put type shot, hook etc instead of trying to bank everything. He also needs to be more aggressive dunking on non alley oops.
Often when Sanogo received the ball, it seemed like it took forever to set himself up the way he wanted before he scored. DC doesn't have the strength or footwork to do that(yet). Would love to see if he could receive a pass, face basket, ball held high and shoot a jumper from 8-12'.

Reaction Score
OK, let's say you're correct and DC is a lousy basketball player.
What would you like done from here ?
Should all of the rest of us adjust our expectations, or should you ?
Should DH make a massive lineup change despite us being the 5th best team in the country ? We're 9-1 and probably the best team in the country despite a pretty fluky away loss. Everyone else on the team is pretty much playing at or above expectations, so if DC needs time to get right, why not just wait it out ? After Gonzaga we don't have a really tough test until mid Jan.
Should we shoot Donovan out of a cannon into the sun ?
Have you honestly never had an injury that was fully healed, but still hurt for longer (i sure have) ? There can be no structural damage, and no risk of further injury, and still it can cause serious pain for a while.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m specifically wondering why he doesn’t have a jump hook. Healthy or not doesn’t address my question
Because he can’t jump. He threw one short baby hook a couple of games ago. I was glad to see it. I said it last year and it’s true still, he’s not a very polished offensive player. Not much touch around the rim and no reliable midrange shot. I never thought he’d be a lottery pick for that reason. His rim protection and rebounding are terrific. He has gotten better at not chasing slashers to the rim and fouling them. Good passer.

He needs an offensive game from 6-12 feet. A nice facing bank shot would work given his size. I assume he’s working hard on everything and will get better.

Reaction Score

He clearly is slower down the court, and he isn't moving as well. It's his foot.

He's a seven foot, two inch tall man that weighs 280 pounds. If his foot is not 100% it's going to affect him. It not an excuse. It's a fact. He is still blocking and changing shots but it has hurt his finishing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He's so big and coordinated, he should have a couple of go-to moves that when he gets the ball down low against somebody smaller, he can just turn around and put it in. Easier said than done, I know. And he needs to use the square. When you only have a split second to make a move, isn't it easier to aim at a fixed target then a spot somewhere in the air?

Reaction Score
It takes longer for bigs to develop. So preseason injuries really hurt.
He won’t be ready this year. It’s obvious. Next year he’ll be dialed in.
The health excuse might be getting worn out soon.

Don is very young and in a huge body. Might just need that one more year. I’m sure many will disagree

Reaction Score
Read all responses and maybe 3 addressed my question. I know he’s not fully healthy, doesn’t matter per the question. I love the kid, met him at a couple functions with my wife and son. Great, great ambassador for the program! He will be a pro! He’s a Stud! But still wondering, about the jump hook. No you don’t need to jump way high to have a jump hook. Because he’s so tall he could take one flat footed and never get blocked. It’s a simple basic shot for anyone, especially a big man. Half of Eric Dixon’s shots are jump hooks. Edey is automatic with his. Does Donovan have the talent for a jump hook? Of course he does! We’ve seen it once or twice. Just curious why he doesn’t take a bunch down on the block. That’s why I asked if the coaches even teach it. Kind of malpractice to not have that shot in your 7’3” studs arsenal. Clearly no one here knows. Please no more responses that don’t address the question for crying out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom