Clingan question | The Boneyard

Clingan question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why is it that we never see Donovan use the jump hook. It’s a high percentage shot for bigs. I’d love to see him catch it in the low post turn and shoot instead of him trying to dribble drive. Is there a reason it’s not in his arsenal? Are the coaches just not teaching it?

Reaction Score
I think the Clingan we are seeing is still not fully healthy, thus we are only seeing certain moves by him. A fully healthy Clingan is a much more agile and versatile player.
Agreeed, he still doesn't have his legs under him as evidenced by how often he's on the floor (not including diving for loose balls). Once he gets to full strength again we will see a different player

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
I dont understand why he doesnt try and jam over and through people. If he could figure out some of Sanogos footwork, he would be unstoppable. I always cringe when he puts it on the floor and starts backing up. Feels like hes gonna dribble it off his foot everytime or miss off the glass with something soft.

Reaction Score
His touch/accuracy isn’t great as is. Sanogo is someone with an unmatched mix of touch, brute force and skill down low. Layups/dunks should be 90% of his shots. He also gets too deep under the basket often, which makes the shots he takes more difficult. Not sure if that’s more his issue where he sets up or the passes he receives though.

Reaction Score
I’m sure he works on jump hook all the time. But we want him to seal his man and score, finish lobs, finish layups and dunks and get putbacks. We also are starting to use him more as a passer from outside near the key. He’s not doing many post isolations. But yes, one simple go to move in the post would help him greatly.

Reaction Score
If you're 7'2" and shooting a jump hook, you're shooting the ball down to the rim. Jabbar made it look easy sure. But that's tough. Jabbar was a freak.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Read Huskybass’ response. He literally answered this, and I agree.
Not so sure. He didn’t have a baby hook last year. But we shall see at some point.

Reaction Score
Theres a few moving parts in a jump hook. Also the ball is behind your head while youre looking at the basket making it easier to knock it out of your hands.

Pretty rare to see anyone shoot it regularly these days.

Reaction Score
I feel like we haven’t seen him be near the lob threat he was last year. Hoping that changes as he is further from his injury and that’s the main reason.

Hot take: I’m also wondering if this is partly an effect of gaining weight in the offseason (15 lbs?). We went through this with Josh Carlton years ago where putting on weight negatively affected him.

Reaction Score
I feel like we haven’t seen him be near the lob threat he was last year. Hoping that changes as he is further from his injury and that’s the main reason.

Hot take: I’m also wondering if this is partly an effect of gaining weight in the offseason (15 lbs?). We went through this with Josh Carlton years ago where putting on weight negatively affected him.
Same thing happened to Emeka Okafor in the NBA. Became to mechancial with the extra weight.

Reaction Score
Agreeed, he still doesn't have his legs under him as evidenced by how often he's on the floor (not including diving for loose balls). Once he gets to full strength again we will see a different player
Yeah, honestly he looks pretty weak to me this season. He bumps guys in the post its like hes hitting a brick wall or he gets bumped out. Hes got zero touch on his shot around the basket which i find strange because hes got soft hands and hes pretty fluid when he moves. Im guessing its the foot but if its not he may be a different player than the one we were expecting him to be.

Reaction Score
People who aren’t 7’2” and 19 years old asking these questions. He’s a pup in a huge body. Won’t his his stride until 26-27
Do you honestly believe that? You do know there are very skilled 7 footer(s) under 21 in the NBA doing very well before 26/27. Ijs

Reaction Score

I think he put on some weight this offseason, most likely form partying too much coming off the championship. It caught up to him. Plus, the foot thing didn't help.

caw

Reaction Score
Do you honestly believe that? You do know there are very skilled 7 footer(s) under 21 in the NBA doing very well before 26/27. Ijs

Not that many. Wemby is a freak.

Aside from him, there is Derek Lively and that is the list of 7+ footers under 21 in the league and I wouldn't call him very skilled.

Chet is 21 as is Mark Williams and Pokusevski

Sengun is 6'11.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you're 7'2" and shooting a jump hook, you're shooting the ball down to the rim. Jabbar made it look easy sure. But that's tough. Jabbar was a freak.

A jump hook and sky hook are two entirely different shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom