Clingan question | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Clingan question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, honestly he looks pretty weak to me this season. He bumps guys in the post its like hes hitting a brick wall or he gets bumped out. Hes got zero touch on his shot around the basket which i find strange because hes got soft hands and hes pretty fluid when he moves. Im guessing its the foot but if its not he may be a different player than the one we were expecting him to be.
That’s kind of a harsh assessment

Reaction Score
Read all responses and maybe 3 addressed my question. I know he’s not fully healthy, doesn’t matter per the question. I love the kid, met him at a couple functions with my wife and son. Great, great ambassador for the program! He will be a pro! He’s a Stud! But still wondering, about the jump hook. No you don’t need to jump way high to have a jump hook. Because he’s so tall he could take one flat footed and never get blocked. It’s a simple basic shot for anyone, especially a big man. Half of Eric Dixon’s shots are jump hooks. Edey is automatic with his. Does Donovan have the talent for a jump hook? Of course he does! We’ve seen it once or twice. Just curious why he doesn’t take a bunch down on the block. That’s why I asked if the coaches even teach it. Kind of malpractice to not have that shot in your 7’3” studs arsenal. Clearly no one here knows. Please no more responses that don’t address the question for crying out loud.
How are any of us message board posters supposed to know why a certain technique is or isn't being taught to our teams center ?
Are you expecting Tom Moore to jump on here and give you a breakdown of time spent during structured practices ?
What answer would satisfy you ?

Reaction Score
How long will people be able to say this season that his play is because he's not healthy? What's the health issue exactly? His pre-season foot injury was supposed to have been minor and did he have a cold or something? I don't think Clingan would use health as an excuse, but out fan base does. I see it more as stepping out of Sanogo's shadow has been tougher than expected.
How do you make the assumption that he’s 100% and when you’re out for a month of the foot injury I’ve hardly called that minor I don’t know if you ever played competitive sports, but those who have realize how difficult it is to play with injuries
His conditioning suffered from not being able to run for a month and I’m sure he’s not able to practice at 100% and use the time to work on his conditioning
And he certainly is his own player, and the comment about stepping out of Sunoco shadow seems somewhat obtuse to me

Maybe the take should be that he’s not playing at 100% and is a major contributor on one of the best teams in the country

Reaction Score
Read all responses and maybe 3 addressed my question. I know he’s not fully healthy, doesn’t matter per the question. I love the kid, met him at a couple functions with my wife and son. Great, great ambassador for the program! He will be a pro! He’s a Stud! But still wondering, about the jump hook. No you don’t need to jump way high to have a jump hook. Because he’s so tall he could take one flat footed and never get blocked. It’s a simple basic shot for anyone, especially a big man. Half of Eric Dixon’s shots are jump hooks. Edey is automatic with his. Does Donovan have the talent for a jump hook? Of course he does! We’ve seen it once or twice. Just curious why he doesn’t take a bunch down on the block. That’s why I asked if the coaches even teach it. Kind of malpractice to not have that shot in your 7’3” studs arsenal. Clearly no one here knows. Please no more responses that don’t address the question for crying out loud.
Might want to address this question to the appropriate people.

Reaction Score
If you can get yourself positioned close enough to the basket, as he generally does, there's no reason shoot from farther away. A hook shot is used to overcome a weakness.

It’s not a weakness. I mean there are good defenders with strength that aren’t going to allow you to get to 1-2 feet so this is a great shot when stopped. He can do it and as stated by the OP I’d like to see it more.

Reaction Score
Logically, we know the coaches are working with DC on his post moves. But the truth is that there are probably 4 or 5 guys in college (and maybe the NBA) who are actually skilled in the low post. Everything is pick and roll now. the big will get the ball at the top of the key to draw the other center away from the basket, and then either back cut, or drive the other team to death. We seem to be pretty good at it, and are improving by the day.
Sanogo had a VERY unique skillset (similar to what Sengun does in the pro's), Announcers couldn't stop talking about his post moves every game, and that's because he was pretty much the only player in the country playing that way. We shouldn't expect to see that too often. DC doesn't do what Sanogo did, he does it his way. His gravity, whether in the post, or at the top of the key, opens up the offense for everyone else. He is a far better passer than AS, and better in the short roll, and the full roll to the basket.
His value on defense is what differentiates him from most other bigs. He may not average 6 blocks per game, but we all know how many times he alters shots actually attempted, or the other teams player will just forego a layup for a lower percentage shot just because DC was in the general area.
Post play, more than a few times per game, is not going to happen. And i don't just mean for DC, i mean for everyone. Watch any game and count how many times a player backs someone down like Sanogo did. The game isn't played that way anymore. Even last season, our very own team became much better when the ball went through Hawk and AJ more than Sanogo about midway through the conference season.
DC doesn't need to average huge counting stats to be taken in the top 10. If that mattered, Sanogo would have been drafted in the lottery. His potential as a defensive anchor (2-3 years after being drafted) will get him there. Almost everyone drafted between 4-15 is drafted on what they can be in a few years.
And next season, when Samson is (likely) our starting center, we will all be having a different conversation about why our offense is more ball-screen than it's ever been, and that will be because that's what Samson does best. He has absolutely no post game. He will draw a big defender away from the basket, and we will have the 1-4 taking floaters, or kicking the ball out to shooters while SJ rolls hard to the basket.

Wow, this turned out to be a long post. Apparently i'm very passionate about this subject.

Agreed on pretty much everything. I want to see Donovan rolling hard and finishing lobs or one-turn post moves more consistently. That's really all he needs to impress scouts. Right now he's not catching lobs at the same rate (foot?) and still bricking 2 foot shots more often thN he should.

Still the age of many freshman who will be drafted. I'm not concerned.

Reaction Score
How are any of us message board posters supposed to know why a certain technique is or isn't being taught to our teams center ?
Are you expecting Tom Moore to jump on here and give you a breakdown of time spent during structured practices ?
What answer would satisfy you ?
Thanks for the answer. No, not expecting Tom Moore to answer. Ha ha. This should have been the first answer for my OP. There are a lot of knowledgeable posters here that were players and some coaches that I thought could give knowledgeable feedback. My nephew was taking jump hooks in middle school, then high school. It’s kind of is a Basic shot. Was hoping one of the “experts” here could shed light on this. Are coaches not even teaching this at any level. It seems there were a ton of threads about Andre’s lack of a shot and quite a few suggestions. Even breakdowns on shooting with a hitch without a hitch you name we saw it. I don’t watch much NBA, are the bigs taking that shot now? That’s the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Thanks for your response. Totally cracked me up.

Reaction Score
He's so big and coordinated, he should have a couple of go-to moves that when he gets the ball down low against somebody smaller, he can just turn around and put it in. Easier said than done, I know. And he needs to use the square. When you only have a split second to make a move, isn't it easier to aim at a fixed target then a spot somewhere in the air?
[/QUOTE
Exactly

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I believe Donovan has a lot of room to grow offensively. Defensively He's been good.
He is massive and very mobile for his size. Offensively IMO:
  1. He doesn't catch the ball well
    1. Handles a soft lob OK
    2. but not a hard pass in traffic.
    3. Balls down low or on the floor (which are difficult for a big) he does do well.
  2. He frequently brings the ball down and gathers himself before shooting.
    1. either with an unnecessary dribble
    2. or a half bend before jumping.
  3. He's a poor shooter
    1. he may lead the league on rebounding his own shot
  4. He is slow to get his shot off.

Reaction Score
Agreed on pretty much everything. I want to see Donovan rolling hard and finishing lobs or one-turn post moves more consistently. That's really all he needs to impress scouts. Right now he's not catching lobs at the same rate (foot?) and still bricking 2 foot shots more often thN he should.

Still the age of many freshman who will be drafted. I'm not concerned.
I wonder if he can't push off that foot at all. He's got to be rounding into decent game shape by now and it's not like he gained a ton of weight. He dunked and blocked everything last season.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
How long will people be able to say this season that his play is because he's not healthy?
This cannot yet be known. We're a notably fickle bunch.
What's the health issue exactly?
This remains uncertain, if even it could be boiled down to a single issue.
His pre-season foot injury was supposed to have been minor and did he have a cold or something?
These are among the questions being asked.
I don't think Clingan would use health as an excuse, but [our] fan base does. I see it more as stepping out of Sanogo's shadow has been tougher than expected.
It has become increasingly common rhetoric for people to offer disagreement or objection to something they've labeled an "excuse," in response to something that was previously offered as an explanation. The two words are not interchangeable, and shifting from one to the other represents a meaningful change in what's being discussed. Your closing sentence looks to me like another possible explanation.

Reaction Score
I wonder if he can't push off that foot at all. He's got to be rounding into decent game shape by now and it's not like he gained a ton of weight. He dunked and blocked everything last season.
I don’t know about the weight. I just rewatched a game from last year and he looked significantly slimmer to me last year than this year.

Reaction Score
I believe Donovan has a lot of room to grow offensively. Defensively He's been good.
    1. Handles a soft lob OK
    3. Balls down low or on the floor (which are difficult for a big) he does do well.
  3. He's a poor shooter
I think he show good hands and that is reflected in his TO numbers.
-A list of players that catch a hard pass in traffic would be pretty short.
He does sometings bring the ball down or use a dribble

Reaction Score
    1. Handles a soft lob OK
  3. He's a poor shooter
1-I think he shows good hands and that is reflected in his TO numbers. He is 6th on the Huskies in TOs with 6 all season.
-A list of players that catch a hard pass in traffic would be pretty short.
2-He does sometimes bring the ball down sometimes or use a dribble. It obviously has not led to TOs.
3-I think his finishing around the rim is affected by the fact his foot limits his mobility and ability to get off the ground.
4-See three.

We know what the kid can do. We've watched it. There has been some regression. Let's see what he looks like healthy.

Reaction Score
I don’t know about the weight. I just rewatched a game from last year and he looked significantly slimmer to me last year than this year.
I agree, he was lighter and faster last year and had more hops. Question is it the weight or the foot. I think the leaner version is better for nba future and to avoid injuries.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Why doesn’t this whippersnapper try the granny shot free throws? It can’t hurt. Maybe those long shorts are affecting his shot selection.
Been thinking the same. He should try a new approach because his current approach is yielding terrible results. Also, he better not shoot another 3, for his entire remaining career, or I might blow a gasket.

Reaction Score
How long will people be able to say this season that his play is because he's not healthy? What's the health issue exactly? His pre-season foot injury was supposed to have been minor and did he have a cold or something? I don't think Clingan would use health as an excuse, but out fan base does. I see it more as stepping out of Sanogo's shadow has been tougher than expected.
When you weigh 280 pounds no foot injury that requires a month off is minor. Sanago was a tough act to follow, let’s be patient and give the kid a chance. Worst case might need 3 years

Reaction Score
That’s kind of a harsh assessment
Not sure how its harsh. As i said it could be the foot issue. I mean you dont really want to be squatting a bunch of weight with a bad foot which obviously a part of strength training.

Reaction Score
There’s too much talk of him bringing it down too much. Is there an occasional mistake sure but rarely. If you’ve played the game you would know that at times it’s natural to bring it down like it or not. He does on occasion try to power dribble to drive into his spot no doubt but overall he’s really good at keeping the ball up.

Reaction Score
The biggest improvement he can do is making foul shots. If you’re behind UCONN late, you would foul him or Samson. May have to go small to counter that.

Reaction Score
I think the foot bothers him, particularly with running down the floor on fast break. I also think the team has a lot of options on offense and they don’t look his way as often as they should. He may need this year and another year to build his skill. Sanogo was much more skilled his 3rd year in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Been thinking the same. He should try a new approach because his current approach is yielding terrible results. Also, he better not shoot another 3, for his entire remaining career, or I might blow a gasket.
I want him to shoot a couple 3's every game until he's comfortable taking them. He has a nice shooting stroke.

If he misses, your gasket problems will make me feel better.

Reaction Score
You may wish to seek out and listen to any number of Coach DH pressers where he makes reference to Clingan’s limitations due to injuries that he is still recovering from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom