Clingan on the bench game after game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Clingan on the bench game after game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Karaban is great and plays the 4. You wanna bench him?
This is the issue, isn’t it? You want Karaban, defensively, on 3s and take your best defensive player out?

Or, Jackson plays the 3 with Hawkins and Newton?

It’s a problem. I think you can try Karaban at the 3, if he can guard wings, I think it might work.

And, by putting Karaban at 3 you have only two ball handlers in the game. Tough decisions. Not saying it won’t work, but it isn’t easy decision.

Reaction Score
Clingan’s moves around the basket with one big defending him, are impressive for a freshman. I remember one game he faked one big out of his shoes with a reverse layup and jammed it on the other side. Sanogo couldn’t do that in a million years.
Sanogo can do a lot of things Clingan can’t. Clingan needs more playing time for sure and even with Sanogo a few mins a game. No need to take. Dig at Sanogo.

Reaction Score
Sanogo can do a lot of things Clingan can’t. Clingan needs more playing time for sure and even with Sanogo a few mins a game. No need to take. Dig at Sanogo.
Like what for instance? Pass the ball out of a double team? Tomahawk it with one hand? Nope. Only thing I’ve seen Sanogo do consistently that Clingan can’t is shoot 3’s.

Reaction Score
Clingan needs to play at least 13-15 minutes a game. To do that he will need to play 2-3 minutes each half with Sanogo. DH has to figure the other 3 guys to have on the court when those two are playing together. DH has to figure what offensive sets to run when they are in together and if we go zone or stay man to man. Make it happen.
This is a good post. Staff should be able to implement a plan for these 2-3 minutes each half

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Like what for instance? Pass the ball out of a double team? Tomahawk it with one hand? Nope. Only thing I’ve seen Sanogo do consistently that Clingan can’t is shoot 3’s.
Dribble, attack the basket off the bounce, guard 4s and mobile 5s, hedge, set screens, shoot, make layups with either hand, make baby hook shots. Other than rebounding and shot blocking, he's better at everything. Yes, the double team passing wasn't great, because it's not easy and requires guys to become available. He's averaging 2.1 assists per 40. Clingan is at 1.3. Since they stopped posting Sanogo and started getting him the ball on the move, his passing has been very good.

I do think DC should play more, but Sanogo shouldn't play less. We also need to be realistic about Donovan's limitations. He struggles defending outside the paint, and Big East coaches are now attacking him with wings, who he tends to foul. His shooting has regressed, seems like he's rushing. He's going to continue to be a situational sub, and Hurley has to do a better job of finding those situations.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

He's averaging 17 points a game. The overwhelming majority of Clingan's points come from alleyoops because he's huge. He has a ton of talent and I think the sky's the limit for him, but he's not backing centers down in the low post and scoring over them at anywhere close to the rate Sanogo is.

Reaction Score
I do think DC should play more, but Sanogo shouldn't play less.

This is the tough spot to be in and I completely agree.

The way we do this probably has to be cutting into some of Andre's minutes. No one is guarding Andre on the perimeter so it makes the most sense. You aren't affecting spacing by swapping them out.

Reaction Score
If Jackson ever takes more than 6-7 shots in a game again this year I’m going to lose my mind. If we let Karaban take more shots we would’ve won that game. As others have pointed out, Jackson is killing our offense because it allows teams to either clog the paint and play 20 feet off of AJax or allows them to hang at the top of the key waiting on Hawkins or Karaban to come off a screen. It also means that Jackson can’t be the screener, which puts more pressure on Karaban/Sanogo to set the screens. Basically the only time we can generate a decent offensive set with Jackson in there is if Jackson is buried in the corner and we run some action on the opposite side of the court. I’m not a coach or a basketball expert and even I can clearly see this isn’t working. One way I see around this is to just let AJax keep running the baseline back and forth and if his guy isn’t playing him right throw a lob for the dunk. Other than that, if he can’t hit shots he needs to sit. Not sure why Andre decided he was going to have his offensive coming out party against the 2 top teams in the league (Xavier/Creighton). He single handedly lost us both those games. I love Jackson and he does make this team go from very good to elite when he’s on, but man he’s such a liability on offense.
But the computers say Jackson is the 12 th best player in the country. So it must be true.

Reaction Score
Oh look, it's the guy who disappeared when we were 14-0 and only shows up after losses. Welcome back!

I genuinely don't understand it. Why be a fan at all? I can't imagine it's trolling because this has gone on for YEARS with some posters.

Reaction Score
Are there any opinions as to what other Big East coaches think when they watch our games and this is what they see? 7 minutes 7 rebounds. Help defense is not happening unless he is in the lane. Otherwise it is take what you want in the lane. I would bet the opposing coaches are high 5 ing the ongoing stubbornness by DH. And could a reporter get info as to why Samson, otherwise known as Sampson on this board, is not seeing the floor?
The only way he can play more minutes is to go Double Big! Thus far, Danny has favored taking our most productive player off the court (Adama) rather than doing that to give Donovan minutes.

Reaction Score
He's averaging 17 points a game. The overwhelming majority of Clingan's points come from alleyoops because he's huge. He has a ton of talent and I think the sky's the limit for him, but he's not backing centers down in the low post and scoring over them at anywhere close to the rate Sanogo is.
Lol. Sanogo rarely “scores” over anyone. He does back into them so they don’t slap the ball away or tie him up. He backs in towards the hoop, pivots and tosses that short floater. It works for him and that’s how he gets the in close buckets, but many times a guard will double him up and then it’s a tie up or a turnover. Passing out of a double team is one of the things Clingan could teach Sanogo. Because Sanogo and Clingan are different types of players with different ways of scoring is one of the reasons why I think both would complement each other when on the floor together.

Reaction Score
You can't be serious with that question. Look at HuskyHawk's response in post #106-he answers it well.

Reaction Score
Clingan, Sanogo, Newton, Hawkins, and Karaban are clearly our best 5 players. This is a well rounded lineup that provides defense, rebounding, scoring inside and out. I am just hoping Hurley knows this and is saving it as a surprise for his opponents in post season.

With that lineup Jackson could be the 6th man and replace any one of the 5 off the bench.

Reaction Score
Dribble, attack the basket off the bounce, guard 4s and mobile 5s, hedge, set screens, shoot, make layups with either hand, make baby hook shots. Other than rebounding and shot blocking, he's better at everything. Yes, the double team passing wasn't great, because it's not easy and requires guys to become available. He's averaging 2.1 assists per 40. Clingan is at 1.3. Since they stopped posting Sanogo and started getting him the ball on the move, his passing has been very good.

I do think DC should play more, but Sanogo shouldn't play less. We also need to be realistic about Donovan's limitations. He struggles defending outside the paint, and Big East coaches are now attacking him with wings, who he tends to foul. His shooting has regressed, seems like he's rushing. He's going to continue to be a situational sub, and Hurley has to do a better job of finding those situations.
Wishful thinking on your part. I don’t have time to argue with you, but I will say you are wrong on 4 of those points you make that I highlighted. Also I never have said that Sanogo should play less, what I have said many times is they complement each other well when on the floor together because they can score in different ways, and other teams can’t defend that. My contention is to give Clingan major minutes, not at Sanogo’s expense but at Jackson’s expense. UConn’s best starting five is Clingan, Sanogo, Karaban, Hawkins, and Newton, no if’s, and’s, or but’s. Jackson gets 12-15 minutes off the bench.

Reaction Score
Jackson is a tremendous defender so Hurley is really walking on a tightrope here. I understand the dilemma but he has to get Clingan in there. Again, Clingan is not guaranteed to solve all our issues but I don’t see how 7 or 10 minutes for him works well.

Reaction Score
Everyone likes to immediately say he will solve all of our problems. Well we know it’s no guarantee whatsoever. Also “who’s he going to guard?”….. well if the other teams making perimeter shots it’s not going to work but need to play zone more than likely. And why take Alex’s minutes, don’t leave him in there take AJs minutes think scoring. Hawkins and Newton all shooters surrounding these 2 bigs. Not asking for 30 minutes each just to try something else when you’re scoring 53 points and there’s no one guarding one of your players. Try?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It’s like people don’t realize Clingans man will have 2 feet in the paint, just like Jackson’s. Sanogo is a good shooter, but you don’t wanna turn him into Karaban just to get Clingan 25 minutes(which people are dishonestly saying they only want 15, so transparently false). Moving Karaban to the 3 will also hurt the defense in the same way Sanogo at the 4 would.
But AJ has no ability to score while is he 25ft from the basket and his man has two feet in the paint. With Clingan you can dump the ball in he will keep it high then he can see the whole floor. If they leave him one on one he try’s to score if they double he passes back out. Sanogo would be forced to change his game a bit in this offense but as noted he can shoot. The only question is will they double DC. He has been great at put backs but he does miss a lot of close shots and not so certain he has developed the footwork yet to be a legitimate low post threat. But the whole point is we don’t know how it could work, but game experience has no substitute. So now it may be too late, if they started early DC would have improved more in the low post game by now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Everyone likes to immediately say he will solve all of our problems. Well we know it’s no guarantee whatsoever. Also “who’s he going to guard?”….. well if the other teams making perimeter shots it’s not going to work but need to play zone more than likely. And why take Alex’s minutes, don’t leave him in there take AJs minutes think scoring. Hawkins and Newton all shooters surrounding these 2 bigs. Not asking for 30 minutes each just to try something else when you’re scoring 53 points and there’s no one guarding one of your players. Try?
Yes, I don't know why so many fans have blind sports around his limitations. He's slow, he can't really guard quick, mobile guys or move very far from the rim. You could absolutely build a defense around that, lots of teams do, but we don't have one. The simple reality is that we have the pre season BEPOY at center, and so Hurley wasn't going to throw his defense in the trash to implement one that would work with Donovan. I think he tried briefly, and that touched off our losing streak. Now Sanogo hard hedges again and we haven't seen the parade to rim by guards. The question is, will Hurley reinvent his defense next year?

I do think Dan talked up Sanogo shooting because that's a way to play DC with him more in a 1-3-1. It's also a way for Sanogo to showcase his skills for NBA scouts. Agree with you, if we play Donovan and Adama, Andre cannot be on the court. Needs to be Newton, Hawkins, and Karaban or Alleyne/Joey.

Reaction Score
If Clingan isn’t in then the other team gets more than one and maybe several chances to make those shots. If Clingan is in, then chances are they only get one chance to hit a perimeter shot. When Clingan grabs those rebounds, Sanogo could be halfway down the floor going for an easy two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom