Clingan going to work this summer! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clingan going to work this summer!

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I can't wait to see what a summer of UConn training does - he's gonna be awesome. A little more core strength and improvement on that FT% and I don't see how he's not on the radar for POY awards. My only "concern" is his conditioning, but I have to believe he'll improve there too.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Over/under on Clingan 3 point attempts this year? I'll go with over 12.
If Hurley gives him the green light, that’s an easy over imo.

From videos of warmups (don’t know where they are off the top of my head) it’s not a slow windup stroke like Jokic or Adama. It’s a legit quick, high release shooting stroke from someone that’s 7’2.

Reaction Score
Donavon needs to get stronger and improve his footwork in the low block. Things that improve through hard work and good off season coaching. I am very confident that those two things will happen. We will miss Adama more than most realize.

There's no doubt when you lose a player like Adama you will miss him. But if DC can do the things you discuss here, the impact will be less than we think. If he can stay out of foul trouble like AS did we know on the defensive end alone we will be fine for sure. If he can now make a few jumpers, some jump hooks and move the feet more on the low block we will be fine in the middle. Lots of "ifs" though.

Key also is Sangare or a portal big, we need a back up to keep the momentum of the 5 we had with these 2 this year.

Reaction Score
You're suggesting he increase his FT% from 52% to 75%. That seems like a stretch. Sanogo is one of our most improved shooters EVER, and went from 58%, to 69% to 77%. I think a reasonable goal for Clingan would be mid-60s at this stage with a long-term project of getting to the mid-70s when he's in the league.

You're generally right... his release is sort of consistent--he's missing because he has no arc.

He holds the ball too far from his face and doesn't start with the ball at his hip. His life is too far from his body and he tends to hold the ball on the center line and doesn't get the center of his hand under the ball. His lower body looks pretty consistent though, IIRC.

No, you can't fix all of that. No one's FT is perfect. As long as he gets enough arc and shoots the same shot every time, that's all that really matters.

If I'm coaching him up on FTs, I'm going back to basics. That growth spurt through everything out of whack. Hand position on the ball, start the shot on the hip, keep the ball close to your body. working his way back to the FT line from little six-foot jumpers. Forget # of makes or takes--just take shots with perfect form.

I suspect he'll be working with some high-level NBA guys this summer like Hawkins did last year. Should get a ton of great feedback.

Seemingly every time he steps to the line, he back rims the first and makes the second. I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding the types of free-throw percentage jumps that we regularly see in big men. It might not happen for him next year and will be incremental. And small sample size needs to be considered

Reaction Score
I’ll take over 12. There is a good reason why we often saw him shooting 3 in warm ups and practice.

Reaction Score
I thought it was interesting that Hurley had a manager track his sideline antics being on TV, and that helped him to cut some of the histrionics. Feels like Coach grew as a professional throughout this season and it paid off.
I couldn’t agree more. I’ve said this, but I am just not used to high achieving 50 year olds being this open to personal growth and demonstrating it by putting in actual work (not just Ted Talks). Hurley’s mindset is extremely impressive and I vastly underrated it.

Reaction Score
Seemingly every time he steps to the line, he back rims the first and makes the second. I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding the types of free-throw percentage jumps that we regularly see in big men. It might not happen for him next year and will be incremental. And small sample size needs to be considered

Jumping almost 25% from the line in an off-season is exceptionally rare. I think you probably realize that, considering you've already started hedging your bets.

Reaction Score
People always seem enamored with 7 footers shooting 3's. I prefer them in the paint more.

The vast majority of his scoring and time will be in the paint. Adding some versatility and making yourself more difficult to guard is never a bad thing.

Sanogo shot 3s. He did most of his damage in the paint. He did MORE damage in the paint, because his defender had to trail him all over the court. The fact that his 2pt% increased 13% this year has a lot to do with the fact that he was a threat at the top of the key. His defender couldn't just wait for him in the paint anymore.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
You're suggesting he increase his FT% from 52% to 75%. That seems like a stretch. Sanogo is one of our most improved shooters EVER, and went from 58%, to 69% to 77%. I think a reasonable goal for Clingan would be mid-60s at this stage with a long-term project of getting to the mid-70s when he's in the league.

You're generally right... his release is sort of consistent--he's missing because he has no arc.

He holds the ball too far from his face and doesn't start with the ball at his hip. His life is too far from his body and he tends to hold the ball on the center line and doesn't get the center of his hand under the ball. His lower body looks pretty consistent though, IIRC.

No, you can't fix all of that. No one's FT is perfect. As long as he gets enough arc and shoots the same shot every time, that's all that really matters.

If I'm coaching him up on FTs, I'm going back to basics. That growth spurt through everything out of whack. Hand position on the ball, start the shot on the hip, keep the ball close to your body. working his way back to the FT line from little six-foot jumpers. Forget # of makes or takes--just take shots with perfect form.

I suspect he'll be working with some high-level NBA guys this summer like Hawkins did last year. Should get a ton of great feedback.
Take the rim off the backboard so he doesn't worry about makes and misses, just form.

Reaction Score
There's no doubt when you lose a player like Adama you will miss him. But if DC can do the things you discuss here, the impact will be less than we think. If he can stay out of foul trouble like AS did we know on the defensive end alone we will be fine for sure. If he can now make a few jumpers, some jump hooks and move the feet more on the low block we will be fine in the middle. Lots of "ifs" though.

Key also is Sangare or a portal big, we need a back up to keep the momentum of the 5 we had with these 2 this year.
If Singare can be the next DC, then Don can become the next Adama. He had a year to work against him every practice. He knows how strong he needs to be... the strongest guy on the court.

Reaction Score
He has reasonably decent form. Maybe a touch more arc? Just a little softer.
Good think I don't try to make a living as a shot coach, it looked like to me he had too much height/arch on his foul shot.

Reaction Score
Sounds like 3pt shooting will be a point of emphasis for Donovan this offseason. With our likely regression in 3pt shooting efficiency and volume next season after losing Jordan, Nahiem, and Joey (so far) I’d expect Donovan to take ~2 attempts per game. Similar to Adama this season when he had open looks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom