Clingan 3 pt shooting- get on the record | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clingan 3 pt shooting- get on the record

Reaction Score
All I know is DC is gonna work his tail off to be the best that he can.

Imagine DC before his freshman season going against junior to be Sanogo? The best post player in the country along with Drew Timme. Guarantee you that Sanogo tore to shreds every single day a young DC. DC learned from that and got better everyday. Games musta felt like Disney after those Adama wars.

As long as DC stays hungry, sky is the limit.

Reaction Score

I am of the belief that he will be a "knockdown 3 pt shooter", and in fact, I think he is now. This is based on alot of pre-game videos i've seen of him hitting many in a row ('practice, we talking about practice'- yes we are). Also his shooting form has always been good. His FT numbers all had to do with arc, where often his shot was flat, turning him to backrim Jim.

So Why wasn't he shooting 3's this year? You could also ask why was he not featured posting up as much as say Edey (until the post-season at least)? Its because his job was to run Luke's half court offense, and in our 5 out, that is screening screens, rolling and playing point center at times for cutters. I am of the camp that he will be the 2nd best nba 3 pt shooter of our 4 newest draftees. So was Hurley holding him back? I think yes and no. But Dean Smith was the only one who could hold Jordan under 20ppg too. Our offense worked out just fine i think, wouldnt change a thing :)

I agree with this appraisal. He could potentially make some 3's IF they make it a priority to work on that skill. It did look like the foul line was too close for him honestly. Deeper might be a better range for DC.

I vote YES but unless they work on it consistently he's not going to be productive.

Reaction Score
He was not a good 3 point shooter in games, that is an objective opinion based on stats. I fully believe the Blazers saw his as a good shooter in workouts, he did the same thing at UConn when warming up every game. It just never translated into games.

I fully expect him to be a good shooter in the NBA, the ability to do nothing but basketball will make a huge difference. We saw what it did for Andre Jackson and he was starting from a much lower point than Donovan. His form looks great, he'll get there just like he did with his FT shooting
an objective opinion based on very small sample size of nine shots over 2 years? lol...the argument you guys are giving is that:
a)he wasnt a good enough three pt shooter to take them at UCOnn
b)he will be good 3 pt shooter once he gets nba coaching

how do you jive Billups comments raving about his 3 pt shooting now?

Its a copout to say he will be a good shooter in future, when Billups is saying thats why he drafted him NOW.

Read/listen to Billups actual quotes about DC above.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
It was definitely a big weapon, because it forced the defense to step out and guard him outside the paint. It was talked about endlessly with him and Jackson and opening up our offense during the run to win the championship. It wasn't a focus of his game, just like I don't think it would be for Clingan, but just a nice option to have

This is not how I remember it. Sanogo attempted 1.3 3's per game and made 36%. That's good, but as I remember it, he was wide open on almost all of them. If his defender had come out to defend the perimeter, he passed and let his teammates play with the extra space.

Did his shooting threat "force the defense to step out and guard him"? I don't think so. Sometimes they did step out, but more often than not they didn't. He took his time to line up his shot and usually the defense was happy to give him that time.

If he had been a lousy 3 point shooter, those 52 three-point shots go away. We probably would have made 1 point per possession on those 52 possessions, and so his 3 point shooting may have gotten us an extra 5-10 points over the course of the season. I don't think of that as a "big weapon". It seems like you might agree, since after a few sentences "big weapon" faded to "wasn't a focus ... just a nice option to have".

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Yes 100%. And Hurley also said it would help the offense all off-season and then never brought it into games, which is why I read it as he didn't have confidence in him making 3's. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems pretty straightforward to me

It was definitely a big weapon, because it forced the defense to step out and guard him outside the paint. It was talked about endlessly with him and Jackson and opening up our offense during the run to win the championship. It wasn't a focus of his game, just like I don't think it would be for Clingan, but just a nice option to have

I have no idea what this means. If you're saying they think Donovan will be able to shoot 3's in the NBA then I'm agreeing with them

What we’re talking about is you made the point multiple times that he proved this past year he couldn’t shoot 3s right now, but maybe in the future he can.

I don’t think that’s proven, especially because your main proof is that he didn’t shoot in games. I think that’s fairly, but not entirely, irrelevant.

The OP of this thread makes that point for me, when DC himself answers Chauncey’s question. It seems the Blazers agree. It was NOT because he can’t, but because it’s best for the team that he didn’t.

You are disagreeing with that premise.

Which is fine…but I don’t know where that confused you.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
This is not how I remember it. Sanogo attempted 1.3 3's per game and made 36%. That's good, but as I remember it, he was wide open on almost all of them. If his defender had come out to defend the perimeter, he passed and let his teammates play with the extra space.

Did his shooting threat "force the defense to step out and guard him"? I don't think so. Sometimes they did step out, but more often than not they didn't. He took his time to line up his shot and usually the defense was happy to give him that time.

If he had been a lousy 3 point shooter, those 52 three-point shots go away. We probably would have made 1 point per possession on those 52 possessions, and so his 3 point shooting may have gotten us an extra 5-10 points over the course of the season. I don't think of that as a "big weapon". It seems like you might agree, since after a few sentences "big weapon" faded to "wasn't a focus ... just a nice option to have".

100%.

His 3 point shot was necessary for his development, a year later in development, and still rarely used.

Reaction Score
an objective opinion based on very small sample size of nine shots over 2 years? lol...the argument you guys are giving is that:
a)he wasnt a good enough three pt shooter to take them at UCOnn
b)he will be good 3 pt shooter once he gets nba coaching

how do you jive Billups comments raving about his 3 pt shooting now?

Its a copout to say he will be a good shooter in future, when Billups is saying thats why he drafted him NOW.

Read/listen to Billups actual quotes about DC above.
But that sample size is very telling, good shooters take shots and he didn't which is why I made my comment.

I read and listened to Billups quotes, he's talking about his shooting in drills and workouts. We know he was capable of that at UConn so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to take away from that. Everyone here agrees he was capable of that

Reaction Score
But that sample size is very telling, good shooters take shots and he didn't which is why I made my comment.

I read and listened to Billups quotes, he's talking about his shooting in drills and workouts. We know he was capable of that at UConn so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to take away from that. Everyone here agrees he was capable of that
Billups didnt rave about his shooting because they are excited that he can knock down 3's in practice

Its because they are FORECASTING that he will make them in games. Pre-NBA coaching. This year. We will see if he gets the green light like Billups claims, and we will have tangible results to measure, for those who get on the record.

Posters like to limit our players futures based on stats alone or what have you shown so far. I get that until it happens on the court in a game, it doesnt matter, its just conjecture. However It doesnt mean it wont happen.

One of the more supposed knowledgeable posters talked about how Castle wouldnt be able to guard opposing PG based on HS film. This was said more than once. Others bash Reed's stats at Mich or Solo Ball's assist usage numbers. This doesnt forecast what they will become, what skillset they might have, but rather it limits them to a simple repeat of the past.

Clingan showed he could shoot pre-game. The assumption that he couldnt make them in games is unfounded based on sample size. He did not have green light it seems. Only the coaching staff knows why. I personally dont think its because he cant shoot the 3, but rather our potent offense was better served doing exactly what we did.

We will see this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

But that's exactly my point. Sanogo taking those open 3's when the defense didn't step out and knocking down a solid percentage of them is exactly what made them step out later and allow him to pass the ball for a high percentage shot. That's the advantage, just the threat of a shot is what makes it tough on defenses and was a big part of our success

Reaction Score
Billups didnt rave about his shooting because they are excited that he can knock down 3's in practice

Its because they are FORECASTING that he will make them in games. Pre-NBA coaching. This year. We will see if he gets the green light like Billups claims, and we will have tangible results to measure, for those who get on the record.

Posters like to limit our players futures based on stats alone or what have you shown so far. I get that until it happens on the court in a game, it doesnt matter, its just conjecture. However It doesnt mean it wont happen.

One of the more supposed knowledgeable posters talked about how Castle wouldnt be able to guard opposing PG based on HS film. This was said more than once. Others bash Reed's stats at Mich or Solo Ball's assist usage numbers. This doesnt forecast what they will become, what skillset they might have, but rather it limits them to a simple repeat of the past.

Clingan showed he could shoot pre-game. The assumption that he couldnt make them in games, is unfounded based on sample size. He did not have green light it seems. Only the coaching staff knows why. I personally dont think its because he cant shoot the 3, but rather potent offense better served doing what we did.

We will see this year.
But it's not pre-NBA coaching. He's going to have 4 months of NBA coaching before he even steps onto the floor. And we've already seen with Andre Jackson the type of jump someone can make with that coaching. I agree there's no reason to think Donovan can't do the same

Reaction Score
But it's not pre-NBA coaching. He's going to have 4 months of NBA coaching before he even steps onto the floor. And we've already seen with Andre Jackson the type of jump someone can make with that coaching. I agree there's no reason to think Donovan can't do the same
keep standing on the fence

they drafted him for his 3 pt shooting NOW, as seen in workouts. Billups said he was blown away

He's not good enough to shoot them at Uconn but good enough for Portland GM to talk about designing plays to take advantage of his 3 pt shooting right after the draft.

OK

Reaction Score
You're really gonna die on this hill aren't you. I guarantee you the coaches would say its not the exact same offense as they ran with Adama. You should have a private conversation with Hurley and he can explain it to you.

We litigated this a week ago dude. Give it to the jury

Reaction Score
Practice and drills are NOT games.

That said, if you can't hit them in Practice you certainly won't hit them in games. The reverse is not necessarily true.

Reaction Score
Yes 100%. And Hurley also said it would help the offense all off-season and then never brought it into games, which is why I read it as he didn't have confidence in him making 3's. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems pretty straightforward to me
I can't remember exactly when, but DH did an interview with Goodman after one of our games. I believe it was one of the games where DC made a 3 (Providence or X???), at least i think it was after one of those. It was a longer form interview, maybe 10 min or so.
During that interview, DH said clearly that he wanted Donovan taking 1 3 per half. If the 1 went in, take more. If not, stop for the half.

I honestly think it was just DC's confidence in that shot. He would look for a better shot instead.

I'll look and see if i can find the interview, although i certainly don't blame anyone for having not listened, or not listening now. Goodman is awful.

Reaction Score
He was not a good 3 point shooter in games, that is an objective opinion based on stats. I fully believe the Blazers saw his as a good shooter in workouts, he did the same thing at UConn when warming up every game. It just never translated into games.

I fully expect him to be a good shooter in the NBA, the ability to do nothing but basketball will make a huge difference. We saw what it did for Andre Jackson and he was starting from a much lower point than Donovan. His form looks great, he'll get there just like he did with his FT shooting
By "never translated into games" you mean "never got the chance" and not "proved he was a bad shooter," right?

Reaction Score
This narrative is odd. Donovan had ample opportunity to shoot 3s. It's the same offense Adama took 75 3s in. He was open at the top of the key 20x a game. Donovan wasn't taking 3s because he wasn't a good enough shooter to benefit our team.

Luke isn't saying "don't shoot 3s because you're tall"... he's saying "don't shoot 3s because you aren't going to help us win shooting at your %.

He'll get there soon with NBA coaching.
Adama was 6’8”. Donovan is 7’2” and his supporting cast were better 3 point shooters. He can shoot the 3 but not as good as most of his teammates. He did what was best for the team. 2 championships so no second guessing needed

Reaction Score
The argument that Clingan was a good three point shooter last year but was handcuffed by the system is a weird one because it implies the coaching staff were kind of dumb in how they used Clingan.
UConn's offense last year was far better than any NBA offense from an efficiency standpoint. There is absolutely a window where he could be considered a "good enough to shoot when wide open" shooter in an average NBA offense and also be a net negative to OUR offense last season, because we were so often able to get wide open layups and just open shots for even better shooters.

36% from 3 is 1.08 ppp plus chance of points offensive rebound, which would put it at roughly NBA average PPP. We scored 1.26ppp last season.

Reaction Score
UConn's offense last year was far better than any NBA offense from an efficiency standpoint. There is absolutely a window where he could be considered a "good enough to shoot when wide open" shooter in an average NBA offense and also be a net negative to OUR offense last season, because we were so often able to get wide open layups and just open shots for even better shooters.

36% from 3 is 1.08 ppp plus chance of points offensive rebound, which would put it at roughly NBA average PPP. We scored 1.26ppp last season.
Exactly, there was no point in Clingan shooting threes. Our offense was a fine tuned machine and always got the easiest looks.

awy

Reaction Score
clingan had efg% of .650ish last season, which means he'd have to shoot 3's at a 42% clip to break even. it's also got soemthing to do with them wanting a one two punch with the centers. clingan being a post big can force a match up problem on the opposition.

they basically always want to create easy shots at the basket, lobs/cuts, threes are kind of the second best kind of shot.

Reaction Score

If the staff felt Clingan could knock down 3’s at 36%, he’d have been taking 1-2 a game solely to pull the opposing big out to the 3 point line. It’s not all about PPP off the specific shot, it’s about dragging a rim defender out of the paint further. Of course there’s a reason all of that didn’t happen, because Clingan was not YET good enough of a shooter to do that in the staff’s eyes.

Reaction Score
This makes no sense to me. Chauncey Billups was himself a 6'3" point guard. DC was a 7'2" center on a 2-time national championship team. I don't believe Chauncey would ask why DC didn't shoot more when Hurley and The UConn Team obviously had outstanding results. Seems like some fluff or something.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There’s a big difference in shooting in practice and in game situations. He has a nice stroke and as he matures will bury that in games. He wasn’t really ready to take many in games last year. It also Wouldn’t surprise me if FT shooting was linked. When you are making 70+% on FTs then you can shoot. I’m sure he shoots FTs better in practice too. He had a tendency to rush shots, even around the rim. It will all slow down for him soon.

caw

Reaction Score
I think DC will be a good shooter from the FT line and from three eventually. If I were to guess I'd say by his third year. The kid has good touch and decent form. It's a bit slow from 3 but the form isn't horrid.

I'll also jump on the Castle will be a good shooter eventually.

Reaction Score
Donovan will shoot a volume of at least 0.75 3’s/game next year and will make at least 37%

Awkward The Simpsons GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom