Clingan 3 pt shooting- get on the record | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Clingan 3 pt shooting- get on the record

Reaction Score
Did Patrick Ewing shoot outside shots at Georgetown? How bout in the NBA? He evolved.
As he goes along and knows he can do it he will be a great shooter, but it may take a couple years.

Reaction Score
There’s a big difference in shooting in practice and in game situations. He has a nice stroke and as he matures will bury that in games. He wasn’t really ready to take many in games last year. It also Wouldn’t surprise me if FT shooting was linked. When you are making 70+% on FTs then you can shoot. I’m sure he shoots FTs better in practice too. He had a tendency to rush shots, even around the rim. It will all slow down for him soon.

It's really as simple as this. Some folks in this thread don't understand shooting... I'm guessing they weren't players. The takes are astoundingly bad.

I shot >60% from 3 in practice during college. My most important job for the team was farting to warm up seats before the starters rotated out of the game at the under-16. I was genuinely terrible. Castle himself shot, what, 80% from 3 at the combine? The difference between practice and game speed, while you're exhausted, with a 6'10 beast sprinting at you is night and day.

Chauncey is hyping up his guy in this video. That is a good thing. It signals--like all UConn fans knew--that Clingan has decent form and enough reps to have some potential shooting the ball and they're going to work to help him build it.

Reaction Score
This narrative is odd. Donovan had ample opportunity to shoot 3s. It's the same offense Adama took 75 3s in. He was open at the top of the key 20x a game. Donovan wasn't taking 3s because he wasn't a good enough shooter to benefit our team.

Luke isn't saying "don't shoot 3s because you're tall"... he's saying "don't shoot 3s because you aren't going to help us win shooting at your %.

He'll get there soon with NBA coaching.

The college game doesn’t really need Donovan shooting 3s. Do you want Donovan hunting 3s in college game or the other 4 guys?

They really didn’t need to showcase his shot.

At nba level he is going to shoot that shot to get his defender Away from basket and allow scoot and Simmons to attack the basket.

Reaction Score
Did Patrick Ewing shoot outside shots at Georgetown? How bout in the NBA? He evolved.
As he goes along and knows he can do it he will be a great shooter, but it may take a couple years.
When you think about it. Ewing became the greatest jump shooting center of all time.

When I think of Ewing I think of a 10-foot fadeaway jumper.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If he had been able to take shoot 3's our offense would have been significantly better. Obviously it didn't matter, but imagine the lanes for Karaban to cut to the basket if Clingan is pulling his man out of the paint
Instead guys had easy drives to the rim because if Clingan’s man helped off him it was an alley oop dunk. Something he could make 99% of the time.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Can someone name these role playing big men in the NBA that are shooting 3s in todays NBA that explains this narrative centers have to shoot in todays league?

Reaction Score
Donovan has been told for two years that part of his appeal at the next level in today's NBA is his ability to space the floor-make an occasional three-play defense and rim-protect. This year's UConn team was so efficient on offense that there was no need for Donovan to explore that shot in games. If you watch him in warmups/workouts/shooting drills/NBA tryouts- You can see that he has decent form -a good looking shot-with decent made percentages for a Big.

Had he been on a less efficient offensive team with a more willing HC (green light) Maybe he would have shot more of them. It remains to be seen whether that part of his game will be among his bag of tricks for the Blazers but it appears that Billups is more open-minded to the idea than Danny was. All of the young Bigs coming out of CBB want to be Jokic. LOL..Making threes or the threat of making threes opens up lanes for guards and wings to attack the hoop with the rim protector out of the lane. That's what Billups is excited about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The college game doesn’t really need Donovan shooting 3s. Do you want Donovan hunting 3s in college game or the other 4 guys?

At nba level he is going to shoot that shot to get his defender Away from basket and allow scoot and Simmons to attack the basket.
I don’t understand this point of view. Is the argument that Clingan pulling the opposing 5 away from the paint would not have benefited our offense last year? I get we were elite, but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t room for marginal improvement.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I don’t understand the thought of him shooting a 30% 3 point shot being a more effective way of spacing the floor than him being a lob threat at the rim.

caw

Reaction Score
It's really as simple as this. Some folks in this thread don't understand shooting... I'm guessing they weren't players. The takes are astoundingly bad.

I shot >60% from 3 in practice during college. My most important job for the team was farting to warm up seats before the starters rotated out of the game at the under-16. I was genuinely terrible. Castle himself shot, what, 80% from 3 at the combine? The difference between practice and game speed, while you're exhausted, with a 6'10 beast sprinting at you is night and day.

Chauncey is hyping up his guy in this video. That is a good thing. It signals--like all UConn fans knew--that Clingan has decent form and enough reps to have some potential shooting the ball and they're going to work to help him build it.

Only one thing, there were some anecdotes before the draft that Castle wasn't even a good shooter in warm-ups this year. The 80% is good for putting some worries to bed.

I would bet Castle wasn't as bad as some people were painting him to be, but does have some obvious flaws. You could see his shot was much better as the season progressed. His early season misses were way off. I'd guess he's around 29-31% on about 3 attempts a game next year.

There seems to be a slight disconnect between his base and his upper body in his form, which is odd because in every other facet of the game his body is better connected than almost any player I've seen (if that makes sense).

Reaction Score
DC Def took his fair share of 3s during Uconn scrimmages for sure. Why you don't see it in games? Well, there is probably your answer.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand this point of view. Is the argument that Clingan pulling the opposing 5 away from the paint would not have benefited our offense last year? I get we were elite, but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t room for marginal improvement.

My guess is that Hurley didn't think so. If he did he would have done as you suggested. He obviously felt he had better options than your game plan. What's not to understand?

Reaction Score
My guess is that Hurley didn't think so. If he did he would have done as you suggested. He obviously felt he had better options than your game plan. What's not to understand?
Because the point I was responding to was that he was already capable of doing that and pulling his man away from the basket is needed in the NBA but wasn’t in college, which is why he didn’t do it.

Reaction Score
If the staff felt Clingan could knock down 3’s at 36%, he’d have been taking 1-2 a game solely to pull the opposing big out to the 3 point line. It’s not all about PPP off the specific shot, it’s about dragging a rim defender out of the paint further. Of course there’s a reason all of that didn’t happen, because Clingan was not YET good enough of a shooter to do that in the staff’s eyes.
Or the fact that our offense was clearly operating at a high enough level that we didn't need to pull opposing bigs out to the 3 point line?

Reaction Score
Stepping back for a minute, one of the more encouraging developments over the last 12 months is the fact that we've now demonstrated, with 2 high-profile examples, that sacrificing some opportunity to showcase individual talent to optimize team success -- Castle through playing mostly off the ball, Clingan through operating mostly in the paint -- in no way hinders their ability to be drafted highly.

"Buy into the team concept and we can win now and get you where you want to go individually" is something that many coaches try to sell, but few can do it successfully. Hurley can.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It would help. But not to the extent it helped with Sanogo out there. DC's role on the perimeter was distribution of the ball, so he attracted some attention anyway. We also had the problem of Andre with last year's squad. One of the only ways to use him was to pull Adama out and get him looks at the rim. Castle was a different player, much more capable offensively.

I am fully convinced Donovan will become a good 3 point shooter. Probably not a volume shooter, but enough to have an impact. I also think Dan should have let him loose a few more, just for the threat.

Reaction Score

Billups didn’t think they were getting a perimeter shooter as well. Clingan is gonna be like Brook Lopez offensively.

We just have to understand that basketball isn’t what we thought growing up.

Someone
I don’t understand the thought of him shooting a 30% 3 point shot being a more effective way of spacing the floor than him being a lob threat at the rim.
Simple. It's about options.

He does both, it really causes problems. If you play him for the rim run, pick n pop. Worried about the 3? He can dive to the basket. Also, as a passer on the perimeter who you have to guard...can be a very effective

He is a serious rim run threat, But he can also space the floor. I imagine that his shooting on wide open 3s will be superior to 30%.

Him as a 35% shooter from 3 is valuable. over 100 shots, that is 105 pts. over 1 point per shot.

As a rim runner, how many ally oops he gets at the hoop? How may point blank shots?

Being a shooter at that level with that size, and ability, will cause amazing spacing for the team.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Billups didn’t think they were getting a perimeter shooter as well. Clingan is gonna be like Brook Lopez offensively.

Someone

He does both, it really causes problems. If you play him for the rim run, pick n pop. Worried about the 3? He can dive to the basket. Also, as a passer on the perimeter who you have to guard...can be a very effective

He is a serious rim run threat, But he can also space the floor. I imagine that his shooting on wide open 3s will be superior to 30%.

Him as a 35% shooter from 3 is valuable. over 100 shots, that is 105 pts. over 1 point per shot.

As a rim runner, how many ally oops he gets at the hoop? How may point blank shots?

Being a shooter at that level with that size, and ability, will cause amazing spacing for the team.
I can understand the options. It just seems like the NBA is moving more and more away from big men who can step outside and shoot.

All the previous ones like KAT and Chet are being moved to the 4. Guys like Claxton, Hartenstein, and Jarrett Allen have gotten paid over the years. Gobert received the supermax.

Lively and Gafford were a big part of the Mavs run and a lot more effective than Klebler. It just seems like having a big on the block ready for offensive rebounds and catching lobs is a lot more effective strategy. Unless you have a guy who already demonstrated to be a high level 3 point shooter. If not, there’s no real reason to develop it.

Being a lob threat at the rim is just as good for spacing.

Reaction Score
I can understand the options. It just seems like the NBA is moving more and more away from big men who can step outside and shoot.

All the previous ones like KAT and Chet are being moved to the 4. Guys like Claxton, Hartenstein, and Jarrett Allen have gotten paid over the years. Gobert received the supermax.

Lively and Gafford were a big part of the Mavs run and a lot more effective than Klebler. It just seems like having a big on the block ready for offensive rebounds and catching lobs is a lot more effective strategy. Unless you have a guy who already demonstrated to be a high level 3 point shooter. If not, there’s no real reason to develop it.

Being a lob threat at the rim is just as good for spacing.
U need both. And Clingan can do both.

Reaction Score
This is not how I remember it. Sanogo attempted 1.3 3's per game and made 36%. That's good, but as I remember it, he was wide open on almost all of them. If his defender had come out to defend the perimeter, he passed and let his teammates play with the extra space.

Did his shooting threat "force the defense to step out and guard him"? I don't think so. Sometimes they did step out, but more often than not they didn't. He took his time to line up his shot and usually the defense was happy to give him that time.

If he had been a lousy 3 point shooter, those 52 three-point shots go away. We probably would have made 1 point per possession on those 52 possessions, and so his 3 point shooting may have gotten us an extra 5-10 points over the course of the season. I don't think of that as a "big weapon". It seems like you might agree, since after a few sentences "big weapon" faded to "wasn't a focus ... just a nice option to have".
Watch the highlights, I would guess about once per game, Sanogo would get a pass on the perimeter and do his up fake, which would get the defender off balance rushing to close out, and he would calmly drive around them for a free bucket. It did what it was intended to do

Reaction Score

Someone

I'm aware bigs shooting is a good thing. I've been crapped on all over this board for saying it for a decade now. Donovan is going to be a shooter. Like with most shooters, there's usually a quick leap in improvement right away and then going from fair to great takes a few years.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking if he makes 3s in practice, then he gets the green light. That IS how it works right? Do well in practice and you get to play and do the things you did well in practice. I am confident he will be fine.

Reaction Score

caw

Reaction Score
Can someone name these role playing big men in the NBA that are shooting 3s in todays NBA that explains this narrative centers have to shoot in todays league?

Lopez, Turner, Horford, Vucevic, Porzingis, Markannen, Naz Reid, Jaren Jackson, Bam and Jonas stood out to me from the games I watched as role playing big men who are shooting threes now.

Wemby is not a role player but he shot a good amount.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom