Cliffs top 8 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cliffs top 8

Reaction Score
Do we really even want/need him anymore? I’m ok with Carlton for one more year and Javonte Brown Ferguson backing him up while he beefs up and gets better and better. Maybe get a solid grad transfer that is just a big tough monster on the boards and defense that can play the 4 or 5.

I’m assuming we don’t get Cliff. We have Carlton and Javonte Brown-Ferguson for 20-21, then we lose Carlton and Whaley. I’m curious to see if we get a freshman in 2021 (Mac Etienne?) or if we get a grad transfer for 21-22 and get a freshman big in 2022 (Clingan?). I definitely feel better about our recruiting now that we’re playing excellent basketball again.

Reaction Score
I’m assuming we don’t get Cliff. We have Carlton and Javonte Brown-Ferguson for 20-21, then we lose Carlton and Whaley. I’m curious to see if we get a freshman in 2021 (Mac Etienne?) or if we get a grad transfer for 21-22 and get a freshman big in 2022 (Clingan?). I definitely feel better about our recruiting now that we’re playing excellent basketball again.
based on the recruiting...lean jard on MacEtiene.

Reaction Score

Saw this tweet the other day. Sounds like he is seriously considering Rutgers. I’d take UConn’s engineering program over Rutgers but RU is actually ranked higher.

Reaction Score
It depends on what type of engineering he wants to study. RU had long had a history of good engineering, and just added to their program aerospace to its repertoire. It also currently has an engineering student on the current roster in Myles Johnson, who by all accounts is a very good student. This may factor in Cliffs decision. Wherever he goes, and whoever gets him, they will be getting a very good basketball player, but an even more serious student. There is a reason why Rutgers is well placed on his top 8 list.

C

Chief00

Somehow I don’t think a major recruiting battle will be decided by whose engineering program is marginally better.

if you wanted to play this game for a moment, one could argue with Javonte Brown Ferguson onboard at UConn, there would be less on court pressure and greater ability to focus on the classroom. More likely, if Cliff picked Rutgers over us , it would be due to us having more depth at that position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Somehow I don’t think a major recruiting battle will be decided by whose engineering program is marginally better.

if you wanted to play this game for a moment, one could argue with Javonte Brown Ferguson onboard, there would be less on court pressure and greater ability to focus on the classroom. More likely, if Cliff picked Rutgers over us , it would be due to us having more depth at that position.
Regarding this whole “he’s interested in an engineering program” spin, if that were the case wouldn’t he be looking at more of a long term commitment to college b-ball? Not sure how quickly one could finish a full engineering program, but after his freshman season at UConn (if we got him) his position would be pretty wide open, with him and Javonte Brown Ferguson splitting most of the minutes at C. And IMO he would garner most of those minutes as he’s physically further along than Javonte Brown Ferguson.

C

Chief00

Regarding this whole “he’s interested in an engineering program” spin, if that were the case wouldn’t he be looking at more of a long term commitment to college b-ball? Not sure how quickly one could finish a full engineering program, but after his freshman season at UConn (if we got him) his position would be pretty wide open, with him and Javonte Brown Ferguson splitting most of the minutes at C. And IMO he would garner most of those minutes as he’s physically further along than Javonte Brown Ferguson.
No disrespect to anyone but Chief takes this academic stuff as more good PR than anything else. Sure, Chief thinks it’s great a player appears to have a sincere interest, to some extent, in academics. But, do I think that will carry the day regarding what school he balls at - of course not. If he has an interest in engineering both Rutgers and UConn’s programs are good enough - we don’t need an academic debate regarding the engineering programs.

Reaction Score
No disrespect to anyone but Chief takes this academic stuff as more good PR than anything else. Sure, Chief thinks it’s great a player appears to have a sincere interest, to some extent, in academics. But, do I think that will carry the day regarding what school he balls at - of course not. If he has an interest in engineering both Rutgers and UConn’s programs are good enough - we don’t need an academic debate regarding the engineering programs.

I agree it is good PR and only PR. Cliff sounds like Tremont Waters who talked about Yale and ended up 2 years at LSU.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We'll see about all this school of Engineering hype
An E Okafor comes along once in a lifetime
I hope this kid is as serious about his schooling as much as hoops but ...........................................

Reaction Score
But what does Jimmy think?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I agree it is good PR and only PR. Cliff sounds like Tremont Waters who talked about Yale and ended up 2 years at LSU.
you mean Yale and LSU aren't on a level playing field academically and athletically?
Ho wood hav thunk that!?????

Reaction Score
you mean Yale and LSU aren't on a level playing field academically and athletically?
Ho wood hav thunk that!?????
Tremont graduated in a year at LSU didn't he?? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think it’s great he’s asking about what a school has to offer beyond basketball.

I’d love to see Cliff in a Husky uniform but regardless of where he ends up it would be cool to see him pursue engineering, even if he leaves early for the pros.

pj

Reaction Score

As the military folks say, no battle plan survives contact with the enemy. In this case, no plan to give equal to weight to basketball and engineering will survive contact with Introduction to Engineering 101.

C

Chief00

Anyone considering college graduation as their top primary can’t also be considering UK, the home of one and done.

Reaction Score
Anyone considering college graduation as their top primary can’t also be considering UK, the home of one and done.
We need to bring back GM to show kids how to make a good engineering schedule

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We'll see about all this school of Engineering hype
An E Okafor comes along once in a lifetime
I hope this kid is as serious about his schooling as much as hoops but ...........................................

And Emeka, while he took his studies very seriously, didn't choose UConn because of the education.

He came for Jim Calhoun and the program.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Not really an engineering powerhouse either, although all flagship state universities at least have that option. If he was really, really interested, he'd have George Tech on the list.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As the military folks say, no battle plan survives contact with the enemy. In this case, no plan to give equal to weight to basketball and engineering will survive contact with Introduction to Engineering 101.

Fun fact, Celtics Gordon Hayward was a computer engineering major.

C

Chief00

lol
Not really an engineering powerhouse either, although all flagship state universities at least have that option. If he was really, really interested, he'd have George Tech on the list.
True, and does MIT play ball?

Reaction Score

Saw this tweet the other day. Sounds like he is seriously considering Rutgers. I’d take UConn’s engineering program over Rutgers but RU is actually ranked higher.

Why do I imagine Omie asking Squid about engineering going like this:

Omie: "so what kind of engineering classes do you offer here at UK?"
Squid: "sure sure, anything you need we've got here. I just had a kid fix my wifes car last week"
lol!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom