2020 Recruiting: - Cliff Omoruyi Top 5 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Cliff Omoruyi Top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, sure. But we theoretically have Carlton, Javonte Brown Ferguson, Whaley, Springs, Akok and Cliff who can all only play 4-5. Somebody would have to go. Akok needs a lot of minutes.

Hate to say this but, Akok is going to need at least 3 years. Great player, but still incredibly raw. He can't be out there for more than 25.

Carlton, Javonte and Cliff would be the only centers. 15-20, 15-20, and 10.

Reaction Score
Is he better than rankings indicate? He’s ranked #48 at 247. I don’t doubt he’d start here, by the way. His rankings don’t scream one-and-done to me, but I assume plenty of people here know more than me.

You do remember this is the Boneyard. Everyone is an expert......

Reaction Score
Yes, sure. But we theoretically have Carlton, Javonte Brown Ferguson, Whaley, Springs, Akok and Cliff who can all only play 4-5. Somebody would have to go. Akok needs a lot of minutes.
It wouldn't be a minutes logjam, it's called having a frontcourt. Our frontcourt is so incredibly lacking I think sometimes we forget what a frontcourt looks like.

Reaction Score
The high school he goes to I am familiar with and is known to send kids down South...and there are pretty obvious reasons why. Not counting us out but it’s a long shot. Heard a few months ago Auburn was the leader unless Kentucky took him.

Reaction Score
I've tried to say this in other threads. I know a lot of you will say he'll easily start over Carlton but the fact that Josh has been a 3 year starter means there will at least be a competition for minutes. Cliff needs a clear path to starting here, like CLEAR clear, because Auburn, ASU and Rutgers all can offer that, and Kentucky is Kentucky.
My prediction is if we land Cliff, Josh will not be on the team next year. (sorry if that breaks BY rules)
i now have more hope for wilson going forward than i do carlton, which is saying a lot. but do you honestly think hurley isnt telling cliff every week that he'd start and average 30 mpg? if we lose him to another school PT wont be the reason.
Not saying he isn’t a better fit. However I have a problem with saying a 4 star recruit that hasn’t played a minute of college ball would get more minutes than a 4th year player who can give us 10 and 6.
cliff would give us 10 and 9 with 3 blocks, and he can actually dunk!
Who’s giving up the scholarship? I thought we were all out of scholarships for next season
the assumption all along has been gilbert is leaving once he graduates this year

Last edited:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Firstly, if he is not a one and done, Kentucky isn't taking him because the Squid needs a big who is can step in and get big numbers - not sure he will play games with a 2 or 3 yr kid.
I don't see this kid to be any where near a one and done
Would he start next year over JC? that's a tough situation that DH has to face - he is sending two different messages if he does or he doesn't. Really tough call.
He is not Kofi and Kofi has been somewhat erratic but a better player at the same stage vs Cliff.
My bet is ASU right now with Rutgers a close 2nd and UConn distant 3rd
Things may change but I don't see JC sitting or leaving
Why because he wants to study engineering for one year before going to the NBA

Reaction Score
What do we think is, a two-year college player? Three-year player? I'm assuming he's not likely a one-and-done.

guys like him would have been one and done types 10+ years ago but not the way the nba game is played now unless he all of a sudden develops a 3 pointer

Reaction Score
10 and 6 on 3-10 shooting, with 3 of those rebounds being his own missed bunnies. It's efficiency, not counting stats.

Ok so people are still not understanding what I’m saying. Nowhere have I said that Carlton is efficient or better than Omoruyi. You have to think about it from a recruit’s perspective. If you’re a freshman looking for immediate minutes, would you want to go to a program that guarantees you those minutes from day 1 or a program that will make you complete and earn your minutes? For most incoming recruits it’s the former.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hate to say this but, Akok is going to need at least 3 years. Great player, but still incredibly raw. He can't be out there for more than 25.

Carlton, Javonte and Cliff would be the only centers. 15-20, 15-20, and 10.
It wouldn't be a minutes logjam, it's called having a frontcourt. Our frontcourt is so incredibly lacking I think sometimes we forget what a frontcourt looks like.

I expect Springs to be a backup 4 to Akok and to be able to play some 5. So yes, I agree we are lacking now, but in the front court as it stands without Cliff we (a) lose no players (presumably) and (b) add Javonte Brown Ferguson and Springs.

Now, we aren't permitted to speculate, but in order to add Cliff somebody has to not come back. If that somebody currently plays at the 4 or 5, then the crunch is lessened.

I'm not saying you don't take Cliff if we can get him, of course we do. I'm saying he may not like the situation, especially the two other bigs in his same class.

Reaction Score
No big in the last decade has been able to give us more than 20 minutes consistently. There's plenty of time available for 2 bigs. At 25 minutes, they foul out.

This just doesn't sound like much of a problem. If he comes here and he's not as good as Josh is on day 1, he still gets 15 minutes a game at the 5 and 10 at the 4 while Carlton and Akok rest. Above 25 minutes a game he will have to earn, but even if he comes in like Shaq (and there is no reason to think he would) you wouldn't expect a frosh big to be able to give you much more than 30 or at the max 32 minutes a game anyway. So at worst you're telling him he's going to have to earn the last 5 to 7 minutes, but you see 25 as easy.

From everything I've heard about Javonte Brown Ferguson, his impact is way down the road. I don't know what promises were made to him, but if Carlton, Whalley, Akok and Cliff are all here next year, he would probably benefit from a redshirt. And if Polley has recovered and we can start the year with 12 players, as opposed to 10, that's enough players and redshirting him would be fine.

Reaction Score
Yeah good point. I guess we'll have JC and Javonte Brown Ferguson compete on who fouls out first then.

I'm not sure I understand. For all the fair criticisms we can make about Josh, being able to stay out of foul trouble and on the floor isn't one of them.

Reaction Score
I expect Springs to be a backup 4 to Akok and to be able to play some 5. So yes, I agree we are lacking now, but in the front court as it stands without Cliff we (a) lose no players (presumably) and (b) add Javonte Brown Ferguson and Springs.

Now, we aren't permitted to speculate, but in order to add Cliff somebody has to not come back. If that somebody currently plays at the 4 or 5, then the crunch is lessened.

I'm not saying you don't take Cliff if we can get him, of course we do. I'm saying he may not like the situation, especially the two other bigs in his same class.

If we ever get back to a 13 man roster -- as opposed to this year at 10, which after injuries seems to be all we've had for the last few years -- then you have some players who aren't going to be in a regular rotation. And they either live with it or leave. If Whaley is starved for minutes next year, is that really a bad thing? We have no idea that Springs will be ready to help the team next year, as opposed to down the road. Same with Javonte Brown Ferguson. There are minutes for Carlton, Akok and Cliff as the two bigs. That will largely eliminate the minutes for our other bigs but we don't have any other bigs that that have earned Big East level minutes.

And if players take Carlton's minutes, great. That means we'll be better inside next year.

Reaction Score

The point is there isn't a crunch here. Every single program in the country has centers and power forwards. We happen to have bad ones and need to get better ones.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we ever get back to a 13 man roster -- as opposed to this year at 10, which after injuries seems to be all we've had for the last few years -- then you have some players who aren't going to be in a regular rotation. And they either live with it or leave. If Whaley is starved for minutes next year, is that really a bad thing? We have no idea that Springs will be ready to help the team next year, as opposed to down the road. Same with Javonte Brown Ferguson. There are minutes for Carlton, Akok and Cliff as the two bigs. That will largely eliminate the minutes for our other bigs but we don't have any other bigs that that have earned Big East level minutes.

And if players take Carlton's minutes, great. That means we'll be better inside next year.

I'm in complete agreement. I'm simply saying that Cliff may not view it that way. He might see Springs and Javonte Brown Ferguson as legit threats to the minutes available. Springs also has a year practicing with the team. Javonte Brown Ferguson is young but has some talent. Akok is obviously going to play a lot. I think we all expect Whaley to be a DNP most of the time.

Reaction Score
I'm in complete agreement. I'm simply saying that Cliff may not view it that way. He might see Springs and Javonte Brown Ferguson as legit threats to the minutes available. Springs also has a year practicing with the team. Javonte Brown Ferguson is young but has some talent. Akok is obviously going to play a lot. I think we all expect Whaley to be a DNP most of the time.

Yes this is what I’ve been trying to explain my past few posts. People need to stop saying that Carlton and Ferguson won’t be seen as competition to Omoruyi because they will be.

Reaction Score
Yes this is what I’ve been trying to explain my past few posts. People need to stop saying that Carlton and Ferguson won’t be seen as competition to Omoruyi because they will be.

.... AND THATS THE BOTTOM LINE! CUZ @JimHurley SAID SO!

C

Chief00

Staff is pushing hard but still very, very outside chance. I’m telling ya guys you’re underestimating the effect of us essentially already having penciled in a starting C next year with another high potential C coming in. All of these other programs other than Kentucky would give him immediate minutes.
Minutes are not a problem here for Cliff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom