Classic Geno | The Boneyard

Classic Geno

Reaction Score
Some of the things that Geno was saying twenty six years ago caught my interest and were just as timeless as the “Our best defense is standing around in a zone and yelling ‘miss!" quote.

He never ceases to come out with what turn out to be extremely motivating quotes like "she can't guard a chair" or "she might end up being pretty good if she ever decides to play defense" or "we never know which one of her is actually going to show up for the game" or "she always looks kind of lost and not sure" or "she is the worst post player in America" - ad infinitum.

Over the years, I have come to understand that his seemingly off the cuff and apparently intentionally derogatory comments about the team in general, and certain players specifically, are neither off the cuff nor at all meant to be derogatory. He has often been described by his former players as being the "master puppeteer".

All of the barbs above were said in press conferences about specific players who ended up being All Americans, National Players of the Year, Olympic Gold Medal winners, and WNBA all stars.

His plethora of quotable barbs are simply one of the many small pieces that make up the puzzle of how he and his staff create and maintain the atmosphere and the processes that have helped so many of their players become what they are capable of becoming and so many of their teams succeed well beyond the sum or their parts.

My wife and I look forward to many more of Geno's quotable barbs to come. Especially over the next few years.

Merry Christmas and a great holiday season to all and have a healthy and happy new year !!!!

Reaction Score
Their zone D needs more practice so many open shots for Villanova lucky they was off.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geno is just one of a kind, as a coach and as a personality.

There are other coaches who give good interviews and are interesting to listen to, but none brings the unremitting entertainment value and, let's just say, pith that Geno does.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if that ", Almighty" at halftime was intentional. The comment after the game regarding "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph" seemed to me like a cover up! Merry Christmas, all!

It's a catholic parochial school, thing. If you said "Jesus" or " Almighty" as an exclamation in the hearing range of a sister, you were in deep dodo. To close to Thou shalt not take...
But if you caught yourself and changed it to "Jesus, Mary and Joseph" you usually got a pass (with a stern look).

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Actually, his exact words were " Almighty."
The after game interview with Allen and Meg he stated the Jesus, Mary and Joseph line.

Reaction Score
It's a catholic parochial school, thing. If you said "Jesus" or " Almighty" as an exclamation in the hearing range of a sister, you were in deep dodo. To close to Thou shalt not take...
But if you caught yourself and changed it to "Jesus, Mary and Joseph" you usually got a pass (with a stern look).
Quite true!

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if that ", Almighty" at halftime was intentional. The comment after the game regarding "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph" seemed to me like a cover up! Merry Christmas, all!
It was intentional in the sense that he said it but I don't think he realized he was live at that point. It sounded like it was directed at the referees who were still near the Court because he added that he thought they were supposed to be playing in the Big East, not the Catholic South League because he never saw so many flops called for charges. BTW, there weren't any called on UCONN in the second half!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I stand corrected. But it WAS Swin who scored the own goal. And it was Sue who one day in practice inspired Geno to call out to a young man who was for some reason in the bleachers and at whom Sue had glanced; "Hey, could you come down here for a minute? We have a kid here who thinks you are more interesting than basketball! (Quoted from memory so prolly not precise, but pretty close.)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think this is pretty classic quoted in

“She wants to make everybody feel great. Me, if I could shoot like Paige, first I’d get 20 [points], and then I’d make everybody feel great,” Auriemma said after the team’s win over Creighton. “She’s got it backward a little bit.”

Reaction Score
My favorite was from a post-game press conference early in DT's career.

A reporter asked DT a question and, when she hesitated and didn't immediately answer, Geno jumped in and said, "you'll have to excuse Diana. She's all choked up because she tied her career high in offensive rebounds tonight with zero."

Reaction Score
always a fun memory to revisit...

Thanks. Brings back memories. Swin shot a wide-open 10-foot jump shot off a missed free throw by Janae Hubbard into UCLA’s basket. Hubbard got credit for the 2 points.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
She is good enough to keep both teams in the game...Abrosimova ??? Not sure...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom