Cincinnati post game thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Cincinnati post game thread

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I am so tired of the 'points of emphasis' every year. I understand having things addressed like the arm hooking this year and swinging of elbows a few years ago.
The flagrant on Vital was a joke. He had all ball with one hand and the reason it looked worse than it was is because the Cincy player tried to throw up a shot after/during the foul. He actually made himself vulnerable because he knew the foul was being committed and was trying to make it a shooting foul.
How are the 'points' actually passed on to the refs. Does anyone know? Are they sent video or does the NCAA hold a mandatory clinic during the summer? If they don't, they should. They could also get illegal pick calls consistent. The inconsistency is one of the things that makes the refs look so bad at the NCAA level.

Annual 'point of emphasis' screws up every sport (looking at you NFL). It's administrators thinking they have to 'improve' the game, and inevitably screwing it up in the process. The worst.

Reaction Score
It’s called hyperbole. But his pouting on the opposite logo at every tv timeout is already tired.

Unless you’d like to say you really love Mick you just don’t like him because his UC is a different UC.
His teams choke, he dresses like a dime store pimp, and he has a Napolean complex but I've always liked Mick's courtside demeanor and he's a good coach. The game needs characters.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This IS his relationship with the refs - it ain't changing - it's who he is. Exactly the same relationship as what he had at URI the whole time there. He dialed it back a smidge, but only when they started winning, and even then, not by much.

No man, he's changed dramatically from his early days at Wagner. And by the time he left, he changed dramatically from day 1. Hurley's introspective and very self aware. Self critical too.

I don't think you'll see change mid season, but upon reflection after the season, he'll evaluate. He'll pick up tips from his assistants (many of which are new to him). And importantly, he'll listen to his wife telling him to chill out.

On top of that, he'll even mellow out with age.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
His teams choke, he dresses like a dime store pimp, and he has a Napolean complex but I've always liked Mick's courtside demeanor and he's a good coach. The game needs characters.

Totally agree. Especially on the last sentence. I love these guys. Calhoun's, Cheney's, Martin's, Huggins (even if I don't like him, I appreciate the spectacle).

Last thing the game needs is a bunch of Bill Self's.

Reaction Score
I am so tired of the 'points of emphasis' every year. I understand having things addressed like the arm hooking this year and swinging of elbows a few years ago.
The flagrant on Vital was a joke. He had all ball with one hand and the reason it looked worse than it was is because the Cincy player tried to throw up a shot after/during the foul. He actually made himself vulnerable because he knew the foul was being committed and was trying to make it a shooting foul.
How are the 'points' actually passed on to the refs. Does anyone know? Are they sent video or does the NCAA hold a mandatory clinic during the summer? If they don't, they should. They could also get illegal pick calls consistent. The inconsistency is one of the things that makes the refs look so bad at the NCAA level.
So true. Here is a thought, how about calling all the damn fouls and only the actual fouls? When will grabbing and hip checking in the paint become a point of emphasis? Nah, can't do that because those fouls are harder to see "at game speed". Much easier to call every little touch on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
No man, he's changed dramatically from his early days at Wagner. And by the time he left, he changed dramatically from day 1. Hurley's introspective and very self aware. Self critical too.

I don't think you'll see change mid season, but upon reflection after the season, he'll evaluate. He'll pick up tips from his assistants (many of which are new to him). And importantly, he'll listen to his wife telling him to chill out.

On top of that, he'll even mellow out with age.

Perhaps, but that's not what happened at RI. There was a really nice, in-depth fluff piece written about him that got a TON of play near the end of last year. Best PR move he ever did...no one ever thought of him as "introspective, very self aware...Self critical" in a way that would alter his behavior, until that article came out. Look at some film of him 3 years ago at Stanford in the NIT. After that...you think his wife will just now start telling him to chill out? Not to say he isn't/won't be/can't be a great coach, but this (refs and sideline nuttiness) is what you're going to get, it's just part of the deal.

Reaction Score
I really think most UC fans would give up Mick in a heartbeat if they could have someone like Huggins back. They don’t like his schtik at all. Most just laugh at him when he gets angry.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, it's not correct, it's a non sequitur. A difference in fouls called is not proof of partisan refs, nor is no disparity in fouls called proof of a well called game.

As Hurley pointed out, Cincinnati was the more physical team. They initiated more contact than UConn did. I don’t know how anyone could watch that game and not think that Cincinnati committed at least as many fouls as UConn. Then we see this stark disparity which has no basis in what happened on the court. Cumberland shoved Smith in exactly the way Vital did to end the game, and they called it on Smith. They he elbowed AG in the jaw, no call. He’s a foul machine and they called him for one.

Reaction Score
Really enjoyed this game. This was a giant step for this team. The refs were bad. No better example than the flagrant on Christian. Monitors don’t lie.
I know what you are saying; but we had chances despite the refs and we lost. Net: not enjoyable for me. Encouraging but not enjoyable.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I totally agree. How many times do we see this team just roll over last season? They won't do that this year. They have consistently refused to give up. That is the most palpable change in the program, thus far.
Having AG makes a huge difference

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just watched CV's "push off" at the end for the first time. Good thing I wasn't watching live lol what a disgrace
He was fouled a second before that by a reach-in by Cinci defender

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom