Cincinnati post game thread | The Boneyard

Cincinnati post game thread

Reaction Score
A lot of meaningful minutes for Whaley tonight. I fear it is going to be that kind of game

O/U 1.5 Techs, 2.5 foul outs, .5 warnings

Reaction Score
Having both Mick and Danny on the sidelines at the same time is going to be brutal for the officiating crew. What’s the over/under on the number of technicals called tonight? Who gets tossed first, Danny or Mick?
Yeah. Mick missed the Calhoun battles so a full on Irish Donnybrook May season these refs enough to learn them on how to not be some of the worst league officials in the country.

Reaction Score
The Big East refs never learned, they just dug in. Don't think these will either.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of these refs just do not like hurley. We foul way too much but not as much as we get called for...besides the smu first half we always put the opponent in the bonus early, even at home.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of these refs just do not like hurley. We foul way too much but not as much as we get called for...besides the smu first half we always put the opponent in the bonus early, even at home.

Well he is a whiner would like to see him back off a little. Imagine going from a coach who we wished would interact more with the stripes to one who never leaves them alone?:eek:

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Hurley still gets caught up in the game within the game stuff.

Refs have been giving him the "you worry about coaching your team, I'll ref the game" vibe.

I'd like to see less talking to refs about how each call is killing his team and more talking to his coaches about how to move forward and adjust from the calls.

Reaction Score
It looks to me like the refs are trying to send Hurley a message and that they don't think he has earned enough clout to act how he does. I don't expect anything to change, but as he starts to get to know them over the next couple years and as we (hopefully) improve on the court, he will probably start garnering more respect from officials. it's like a bunch of kids bullying the new kid at school.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Hopefully we get the same crew we had Thursday. That was one of the most well officiated Uconn games in recent memory. Game flow was totally uninterrupted.

Reaction Score
Hopefully we get the same crew we had Thursday. That was one of the most well officiated Uconn games in recent memory. Game flow was totally uninterrupted.
The TV announcers made it a point of saying that was the Rolls Royce of officiating crews including the infamous Teddy Valentine. Hurley did have some very cordial talks with Teddy during the game.

Reaction Score
If there was an over under on fouls and it was 60 I’d be tempted to take the over.

Reaction Score
What a crazy game. Gtown hits 3 pointers twice to send game into OT and then double OT. PC chooses not to foul up 3 twice. Akinjo looks like a stud, hit one of the 3 pointers. MAL now getting lots of run and looks pretty good. That game really makes me miss the Big East.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well he is a whiner would like to see him back off a little. Imagine going from a coach whobwe wished would interact more with the stripes to one who never leaves them alone?:eek:

Everybody thought JC should back off too. I'll take fire 10/10. You gotta bend them to your will; Nobody, and I mean nobody, was better at that than JC. I think they were legit afraid of him. Danny is not that.

Reaction Score
Everybody thought JC should back off too. I'll take fire 10/10. You gotta bend them to your will; Nobody, and I mean nobody, was better at that than JC. I think they were legit afraid of him. Danny is not that.

JC knew when to go after the officials and when to dial it back. I feel like Hurley is still learning. He often times spends half of a timeout or more yelling at or complaining to the refs rather than talking to the team. He needs to dial it back and pick his spots. I feel like JC wasn’t whiny about it, but he would almost embarrass officials by pointing out missed calls and the whistle would often times turn in his favor. There are definitely a couple of officials in this league that you can tell can’t stand Hurley.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
MAL played 36 minutes and didn't score a point. The eight assists are nice, but he really, really struggles to put the ball in the basket.

Outside of the improbable 20-points he scored against Nova, he's been marginal.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
JC knew when to go after the officials and when to dial it back. I feel like Hurley is still learning. He often times spends half of a timeout or more yelling at or complaining to the refs rather than talking to the team. He needs to dial it back and pick his spots. I feel like JC wasn’t whiny about it, but he would almost embarrass officials by pointing out missed calls and the whistle would often times turn in his favor. There are definitely a couple of officials in this league that you can tell can’t stand Hurley.

Of course he is. He's younger and has less experience than JC did coming into UCONN. Fortunately, he has enough self awareness to learn, which is critical. And his wife gets on him for it as well.

But JC got a lot of techs. And the majority were not calculated.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Having both Mick and Danny on the sidelines at the same time is going to be brutal for the officiating crew. What’s the over/under on the number of technicals called tonight? Who gets tossed first, Danny or Mick?
They’ll probably already be on edge from having to tell JA to tuck his shirt in. We all know how that really grinds their gears. Danny better watch out.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
The TV announcers made it a point of saying that was the Rolls Royce of officiating crews including the infamous Teddy Valentine. Hurley did have some very cordial talks with Teddy during the game.
I was shocked when I heard Teddy's name. Unless I wasn't paying attention over the years, this has to be the first UConn game he has ref'ed in YEARS. Thought he moved to ACC crew? Or some where else some time ago. Toward the end of the JC era?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Size matters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom