Cinci will show us how good we are | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cinci will show us how good we are

Reaction Score
Interesting article asking why people don't consider Cincinnati an elite program because they should.

Here's my thought: Why isn't Cincinnati considered a top-20 program on a national level? Seems pretty definitive to me that the Bearcats have been established, both historically and in the modern era, to be just that. But you probably don't think of Cincy that way, just like a lot of other people don't, but you're wrong.

The best program you don't hear about, Cincinnati has to make noise in March

Every time I see Matt Norlander in one of these videos I can't help but think that's a clip-on tie and he's filming it from his mother's basement.

Reaction Score
The Ferrari has finally been tuned to optimal performance and carries us to the finish line

Reaction Score
What happened to UConn Video? I feel they always made hype videos before games like this (Jonathan cutting oranges was the best one). Is it out of the budget now that we are in the American? :( The post game videos with Emily/Erika have disappeared as well.

Reaction Score
This is the first game in the series where cincy really blows it open.
Nope, the first was I believe 09-10, we lost by like 26 and JC was openly verbal about how embarrassing it was

Reaction Score
Interesting article asking why people don't consider Cincinnati an elite program because they should.

Here's my thought: Why isn't Cincinnati considered a top-20 program on a national level? Seems pretty definitive to me that the Bearcats have been established, both historically and in the modern era, to be just that. But you probably don't think of Cincy that way, just like a lot of other people don't, but you're wrong.
They play ugly
They get no attention because they don't bring in high-flyer recruits
And they've been to two Sweet Sixteens (lost both) this century. That is not what a national top 20 team does.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They play ugly
They get no attention because they don't bring in high-flyer recruits
And they've been to two Sweet Sixteens (lost both) this century. That is not what a national top 20 team does.

You beat me to it. They traditionally win games in the 50s or 60s, with blood on the floor while looking like a prison team out for revenge. They foul the opponent constantly. It's highly unattractive basketball.

Now this year's team is scoring points. Lots of them. It seems to deserve some praise.

Reaction Score
Now this year's team is scoring points. Lots of them. It seems to deserve some praise.
Absolutely they do. It's a welcome change for me to see, let alone their own fans. Let's see if Cronin can capitalize and take them to their first Elite Eight in 21 years (i.e. before we won our first ship). Until then, and even still, they are not in the discussion for top 20 national program. I would put Marquette well ahead of them and if that writer contends Cinci is top 20, he needs to concede Marquette is top 15.

In no particular order and just quick off the top of my head I see

UConn
Duke
UNC
UK
KU
OU
Cuse
Pitt
WVU
Marquette
FSU
Maryland
Indiana
Nova
Cuse
OSU
Michigan
MSU
Wisconsin
ISU
Arizona
UCLA
Gonzaga
UVA

All comfortably ahead of Cinci.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Absolutely they do. It's a welcome change for me to see, let alone their own fans. Let's see if Cronin can capitalize and take them to their first Elite Eight in 21 years (i.e. before we won our first ship). Until then, and even still, they are not in the discussion for top 20 national program. I would put Marquette well ahead of them and if that writer contends Cinci is top 20, he needs to concede Marquette is top 15.

UConn
Duke
UNC
UK
KU
OU
Cuse
Pitt
WVU
Marquette
FSU
Maryland
Indiana
Nova
Cuse
OSU
Michigan
MSU
Wisconsin
ISU
Arizona
UCLA
Gonzaga
UVA

Don't forget Florida And POSSIBLY Oregon

Reaction Score
Don't forget Florida And POSSIBLY Oregon
With them (I forgot Louisville and Notre Dame too), it puts Cinci at best top 30. But then you have to talk about Cal, Baylor, Miami, Purdue, and some of the NBE teams like Butler and Xavier who are arguably on a similar playing field over the last decade, as well as some teams from last decade like Memphis, VTech, and Wake Forest. Realistically Cinci is somewhere 35-40

Reaction Score

UConn
Duke
UNC
UK
KU
OU
Cuse
Pitt
WVU
Marquette
FSU
Maryland
Indiana
Nova
Cuse
OSU
Michigan
MSU
Wisconsin
ISU
Arizona
UCLA
Gonzaga
UVA

The two on that list I would quibble with are ISU and Virginia. Virginia, if memory serves correct, wasn't much of a factor before Bennett, and even though they've been very successful with him, they haven't broken through to the final four yet. Iowa State hasn't been any further than Cincinnati in recent history, I don't think.

I agree with your point though. Cincinnati is like a poor man's Michigan State in that they play a rough brand of ball that is successful but capped by talent limitations. And for all the points they've scored, I'm skeptical that this year is any different.

Reaction Score
The two on that list I would quibble with are ISU and Virginia. Virginia, if memory serves correct, wasn't much of a factor before Bennett, and even though they've been very successful with him, they haven't broken through to the final four yet. Iowa State hasn't been any further than Cincinnati in recent history, I don't think.
Sure, take those two and put them in the "equal playing field" group

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I agree with your point though. Cincinnati is like a poor man's Michigan State in that they play a rough brand of ball that is successful but capped by talent limitations. And for all the points they've scored, I'm skeptical that this year is any different.

Not sure what the look back time period is but UVA had some nice teams when Sampson was there
And ISU played deeper into the dance than Cinci for many recent years, as I recall, however, not sure about FSU, and may add WVU to the list

If they stay healthy, Cinci can make some noise this year

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

UConn
Duke
UNC
UK
KU
OU
Cuse
Pitt
WVU
Marquette
FSU
Maryland
Indiana
Nova
Cuse
OSU
Michigan
MSU
Wisconsin
ISU
Arizona
UCLA
Gonzaga
UVA

Your argument is weakened by names like OU, FSU, ISU, UVa and Gonzaga. These names are just schools that have had better teams in the last couple years. Historically speaking and by "strength of program", Cinci is way ahead of those 5, not even close.

Reaction Score

I would say more like a homeless man's MSU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom