Cinci Post Game Thoughts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cinci Post Game Thoughts

C

chiller99.5

Seemed like there was too much size and muscle for KF to hit the boards and get in a rhythm. Looked like an old skool Big East game with a lot of the play through contact. Adams hit the deck hard on a few drives as well

Reaction Score
Our goal should be to get to Cincinatti's level. We are not there at this point and it doesn't look like we will be there any time soon. They are a tourney team every year. That's what we need to be.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Look, Cincinnati is 21-2 for a reason. Tall order to beat that team, on the road, with six players (and a few spare minutes from two others), and with the Bearcats having an unusually good game from 3. Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, even if we were a more typical UConn team this year.

Facey had a lot of good looks that just rolled off the rim, just didn't fall. I would have liked him to be more aggressive on the rebounding, but there weren't a ton of defensive rebounds available with the solid shooting by Cincy. Adams was the target of the Bearcat defense, and they did a good job on him. Now he knows what to expect. If he's half the player I think he is, he'll figure out how to handle it for next game.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This board is tiring at best. Purvis was by far our best player yesterday. Led the team in points, rebounds, steals, threes, and shooting percentage. And Brimah was our second best player. Cincy worked hard to neutralize Adams and to a large extent, they did. They also shot 50 percent from the field.

But this board, not understanding how to handle adversity, reaches for the same three scapegoats they always do; Purvis, Brimah, and Ollie. It couldn't have had anything to do with Cincy shooting lights out yesterday, especially with their bigs from distance. Nope. Had to be our scapegoats. So let's keep piling on. The shtick is tired...

Purvis was pretty great yesterday. Brimah was pretty bad. The fact that it might make him our second best yesterday ( and it actually might) is very sad, because he was not good. Washington abused him like a used rag. Ollie called him out as bad. Thats how bad he was.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Purvis was pretty great yesterday. Brimah was pretty bad. The fact that it might make him our second best yesterday ( and it actually might) is very sad, because he was not good. Washington abused him like a used rag. Ollie called him out as bad. Thats how bad he was.

Brimah had 14 points, 5 boards, 2 blocks, a couple of forced misses, and shot 50% from the field. He wasn't pretty bad. He had a decent night. The problem is that he has never had to cover a big at the perimeter. He was lost in that regard, but most centers are. Once again, I'd love for us to be able to play uber-aggressive man-to-man defense and funneling them into the center where Brimah cleans up, which I think would have prevented a lot of what happened yesterday from occurring. But with 6 men, you just can't do it...

H

huskymagic

Half hearted double teams are the only way you can guard with someone who can't play one on one defense very well but hey what would you know. He and Clark did get 28 and 20 respectively so maybe he played better D than we think LOL

If you think Amida needs help in the post than your sadly mistaken. The rest of the team including Kentan weren't defending either. Amida is the least of our problems on defense although yesterday was a bad defensive day for him but again that's coaching, will to win, leadership, pride. Amida is not suited for a zone defense nor is UCONN. Ollies strategies are the reason we look so bad and don't use the we only have 7 bodies to work with. All you need is 5 to win. Think how bad this team is and plays without Amida, it's night and day.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If KO wanted 6-8 players for a team, he would not have picked 4 Bigs, 1 wing and 3 guards. Can't play a pressure man most of the game, can't really push tempo and run. Other than Adams and Vital, everyone is a role player and not interchangeable. Can't blame him for this year. The reality is we are limited. AB doesn't have the offensive game to be a focal point and KF had a bad game yesterday but has been good this year.

I am pleased with VJ, Vital and Jalen's progress. VJ isn't a supreme athlete, but he has a good basketball IQ and will get better each year. If we could get a 5th yr big for next year, that would help as Enoch has the semblance of some good offensive moves, but is woefully behind defensively and rebounding wise. Durham will be good- but needs a year of strength and just playing. If Diarra is the rebounder we heard he was, that will be huge to ignite the fast break. Gilbert is special and Larrier is the missing athlete we don't have right now. I still think this team can get into the TOP 5 of the league this year but next year we have a chance to be good rolling into March.

Reaction Score
Yes injuring yourself or re-injuring yourself as soon as you step foot on campus is a flaw in and of itself. I like Vance as a player but he is slow and not very athletic, he needs to lose 10-15 pounds and become more mobile. CV is ok. We should be better next year with Makai coming in to help Jalen and with CV and Alterique. The big question is who starts with Jalen next year: Makai, Alterique, or CV because Terry and Vance will be starting and how does Ollie manage that guard situation. Ollie needs to be more of a dictator with his team and less of a players coach to reign in bad tendencies and keep guys accountable.

We need to start recruiting guys who can contribute from Day 1 not year 3 year from the time they step foot on campus. Cumberland from Cinci is playing well for a freshman. Jacob Evans last year for Cinci was great as a freshman. Other than exciting plays for Amida and Jalen's heave last year we are playing like a rundown Pitt team.
Give it a rest.

Reaction Score
This board is tiring at best. Purvis was by far our best player yesterday. Led the team in points, rebounds, steals, threes, and shooting percentage. And Brimah was our second best player. Cincy worked hard to neutralize Adams and to a large extent, they did. They also shot 50 percent from the field.

But this board, not understanding how to handle adversity, reaches for the same three scapegoats they always do; Purvis, Brimah, and Ollie. It couldn't have had anything to do with Cincy shooting lights out yesterday, especially with their bigs from distance. Nope. Had to be our scapegoats. So let's keep piling on. The shtick is tired...
Same crap by the same posters after every loss.

Reaction Score
What about KF missing bunnies?
What about VJ not looking for his shot when he was open?
What about CV lofting 3's in the early going?
AB was efficient at sporadic times - he dropped to many balls and his offensive game is the pits
KO has to go to the zone to protect the team from fouls and to preserve some stamina - a team that has not one but two big guys who can hit 3s will kill a zone
Are you counting having 3 top players of your recruiting class missing nearly the entire season due to injury (50%) in your flaw assessment?

The program is in serious trouble with Ollie at the helm. A ridiculous statement at best

Its clear you watched the game. You can go to zone but a zone should not be any less intense than man to man. Once you get burned by the 3 about a half dozen times, you have to adjust and extend and if they you beat in the interior at least you're giving 2. The sit back to avoid "fouls" is nonsense and you "res"t in a zone is too. Ollie's team is a mess with no execution or discipline. That's on him at this point in the season. Heck, a great coach can work with what he has and hold his own, and we do have talent. Its just poorly directed. Pete Carill at Princeton used to do it all day long with slower, smaller guys with great game planning and ball control. That doesn't exist at UConn. This is bad coaching. Those who refuse to recognize it when they see it can continue to lay it off on other excuses (and there are plenty I'll grant) but bad execution relates to none of them. He simply is not getting the best out of his players on any meaningfully consistent basis.

Reaction Score
Its clear you watched the game. You can go to zone but a zone should not be any less intense than man to man. Once you get burned by the 3 about a half dozen times, you have to adjust and extend and if they you beat in the interior at least you're giving 2. The sit back to avoid "fouls" is nonsense and you "res"t in a zone is too. Ollie's team is a mess with no execution or discipline. That's on him at this point in the season. Heck, a great coach can work with what he has and hold his own, and we do have talent. Its just poorly directed. Pete Carill at Princeton used to do it all day long with slower, smaller guys with great game planning and ball control. That doesn't exist at UConn. This is bad coaching. Those who refuse to recognize it when they see it can continue to lay it off on other excuses (and there are plenty I'll grant) but bad execution relates to none of them. He simply is not getting the best out of his players on any meaningfully consistent basis.

They were playing man most of the 3's I saw the only people "sitting back" as you say were the one's who were drifting mindlessly like Brimah, Facey and Enoch mostly. You're lost, have a reason not to like KO and maybe just don't know anything who knows. But if you saw your 4 years starter at the 5 play defense liker he did yesterday and think that's KO or anyone on the staffs fault you're ignorant.

Pete Carrill had different types of athletes, smarter basketball players. You're out of your mind if you think this team could run that offense or anything close. Just hateful ignorant post!

Reaction Score
If you think Amida needs help in the post than your sadly mistaken. The rest of the team including Kentan weren't defending either. Amida is the least of our problems on defense although yesterday was a bad defensive day for him but again that's coaching, will to win, leadership, pride. Amida is not suited for a zone defense nor is UCONN. Ollies strategies are the reason we look so bad and don't use the we only have 7 bodies to work with. All you need is 5 to win. Think how bad this team is and plays without Amida, it's night and day.

He wasn't suited for any defense yesterday he was lost all day - awful on that side. I will agree Facey was also bad as was Enoch. But Ollie's fine, check the mirror you're not!

Reaction Score
They were playing man most of the 3's I saw the only people "sitting back" as you say were the one's who were drifting mindlessly like Brimah, Facey and Enoch mostly. You're lost, have a reason not to like KO and maybe just don't know anything who knows. But if you saw your 4 years starter at the 5 play defense liker he did yesterday and think that's KO or anyone on the staffs fault you're ignorant.

Pete Carrill had different types of athletes, smarter basketball players. You're out of your mind if you think this team could run that offense or anything close. Just hateful ignorant post!
What does "hateful" have to do with anything? Grow up. Just because I think he's doing a terrible job doesn't equal hate, unless you're a millennial who can't handle disagreement. In terms of ignorance, by your own logic my assessment is correct...a lack of discipline and execution.

Reaction Score
What does "hateful" have to do with anything? Grow up. Just because I think he's doing a terrible job doesn't equal hate, unless you're a millennial who can't handle disagreement. In terms of ignorance, by your own logic my assessment is correct...a lack of discipline and execution.

Millenial - yeah I'm close. All you need to know is huskymagic agrees with you and no one on the BY respects anything he writes. But you're doing well, now I'll leave you to be I need to grow up! LOL funny

H

huskymagic

Millenial - yeah I'm close. All you need to know is huskymagic agrees with you and no one on the BY respects anything he writes. But you're doing well, now I'll leave you to be I need to grow up! LOL funny

Most of the Boneyard agrees with me it's only Ollie's apologists and clowns like you that don't not that anyone really cares. No one agreed with Copernicus or Galileo either didn't mean they weren't right. Bluedog is right in his assessment as am I and a few others who are stating the obvious trends. Save The false groupthink you are trying to impose on the yard for a time when Ollie does something post Napier.

PS: Jim Nosepicker Boeheim also uses basically 6 guys and with a 5 11 grad transfer point guard and has turned around the Cuses season. You don't need 10 guys to win although a nice luxury to have but of course keep on keeping on Ollie thanks you.

Reaction Score
Most of the Boneyard agrees with me it's only Ollie's apologists and clowns like you that don't not that anyone really cares. No one agreed with Copernicus or Galileo either didn't mean they weren't right. Bluedog is right in his assessment as am I and a few others who are stating the obvious trends. Save The false groupthink you are trying to impose on the yard for a time when Ollie does something post Napier.

PS: Jim Nosepicker Boeheim also uses basically 6 guys and with a 5 11 grad transfer point guard and has turned around the Cuses season. You don't need 10 guys to win although a nice luxury to have but of course keep on keeping on Ollie thanks you.

You're a total idiot, but hey keep believing it's a good thing.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
He has been excellent for who he is, he had the ball on the rim and it just wouldn't go in. He didn't play very well it happens why hammer him?
Pretty tender description of missing bunnies my friend. I like Facey too but I think if AB missed those shots you wouldn't be giving him credit for getting it on the rim.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yes injuring yourself or re-injuring yourself as soon as you step foot on campus is a flaw in and of itself. .

Yeah, I was just saying that to some Iraq vets yesterday. You should get beat up for this.

Reaction Score
Pretty tender description of missing bunnies my friend. I like Facey too but I think if AB missed those shots you wouldn't be giving him credit for getting it on the rim.

If he gets it to the rim he makes them now. Different players by far, Facey is smooth in making his way to the basket getting off one handers, jump hooks. Brimah is still a work in progress 4 years later - sorry it's just not close David. I will say this, they were both equally lost on D Saturday that's for sure. lol

Reaction Score
At least this can stop the threads about how good we after we beat the 3 worst teams conference. Their bigs just dominated ours. Yes Brimah had a decent game but you can't just let their bigs, who can shoot, take open threes because your not used to guarding out there. Thats not an excuse.

Cumberland is a knock down shooter that Cincy hasn't had before. They are very dangerous if Clark and the other big are hitting threes. I don't think we beat them with Gilbert, Larrier and Diarra. I know that won't be a popular opinion.

Reaction Score
You're a total idiot, but hey keep believing it's a good thing.
The sum total of your contributions are if you disagree about KO you must be "hateful" and you must be an "idiot." You want to argue over facts and events that suggest otherwise, be my guest. No one in their right mind wants anything but KO to be successful. I don't expect a great season, and he has a lot of challenges and things to point to as legitimate reasons for a poor record. However, within that context, there appear at least from my perspective to be some pretty significant "tells" indicating KO is not getting it done with what he does have. I'm not talking Ws, I'm talking on the court performance. There is poor discipline and execution which manifests itself in the inconsistency of play on both ends of the court. If you cant recognize poor play by good players, I don't know what to tell you. But the character assassination and vacuous snipes doesn't advance your case.

Reaction Score
At least this can stop the threads about how good we after we beat the 3 worst teams conference. Their bigs just dominated ours. Yes Brimah had a decent game but you can't just let their bigs, who can shoot, take open threes because your not used to guarding out there. Thats not an excuse.

Cumberland is a knock down shooter that Cincy hasn't had before. They are very dangerous if Clark and the other big are hitting threes. I don't think we beat them with Gilbert, Larrier and Diarra. I know that won't be a popular opinion.
There's no way to know who would win if we had a full house but I tend to agree. We often let our opponents take wide open 3's, all season long and I guess it has to do with our players getting fooled defensively as they help defend inside or get screened off. Many times those teams miss wide open shots anyway. Our record in the league is so misleading. The worst ACC team last place Pitt 1-9 would destroy us IMO, and yes I know we beat Cuse early by 2, but not now.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If he gets it to the rim he makes them now. Different players by far, Facey is smooth in making his way to the basket getting off one handers, jump hooks. Brimah is still a work in progress 4 years later - sorry it's just not close David. I will say this, they were both equally lost on D Saturday that's for sure. lol

I agree Facey is the more skilled player. I just think your patience with missed bunnies was different.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom