Cinci Post Game Thoughts | The Boneyard

Cinci Post Game Thoughts

H

huskymagic

The outcome of this game was never in doubt and it pretty much turned out as we all expected. We have a severe lack of athleticism, toughness, and scoring ability with most of our team. Gary Clarke was punking us once again on offense and defense and Washington and Cumberland were lighting us up from 3. This 2016 recruiting class has way too many flaws. We have many problems on the coaching and recruiting front for us to be optimistic for next year.

PRO: Amida was the only effective player today who Cinci had to play and respect who had 16 and 5.

CON: This is a tie between Adams no show and Ollies coaching. Jalen has to play better than this, he is looking way too slow and lethargic out there, and has trouble beating his guy off the dribble.

Ollie needs to stop playing hot potato with substituting his best player out of the game and allowing other teams to go on huge runs. And stop switching to a horrendous so called zone defense that always gets abused by any decent team. The program is in serious trouble with Ollie at the helm.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What about KF missing bunnies?
What about VJ not looking for his shot when he was open?
What about CV lofting 3's in the early going?
AB was efficient at sporadic times - he dropped to many balls and his offensive game is the pits
KO has to go to the zone to protect the team from fouls and to preserve some stamina - a team that has not one but two big guys who can hit 3s will kill a zone
Are you counting having 3 top players of your recruiting class missing nearly the entire season due to injury (50%) in your flaw assessment?

The program is in serious trouble with Ollie at the helm. A ridiculous statement at best

Reaction Score
I have seen Cincy play in person twice this year(today and Xavier) and the front court has been solid. However, their 2 front court positions(Clark, Washington subs Moore, Scott), 54 points, 21 rebounds, 8 assists, and only 4 turnovers in a combined 78 minutes. Crazy stats for the 4 and 5. It's hard to win a game when you give up that much to the post players and they can come out from the bucket like that. I think at Uconn they ought to try a smaller guys on Washington just to confuse him.

Reaction Score
The outcome of this game was never in doubt and it pretty much turned out as we all expected. We have a severe lack of athleticism, toughness, and scoring ability with most of our team. Gary Clarke was punking us once again on offense and defense and Washington and Cumberland were lighting us up from 3. This 2016 recruiting class has way too many flaws. We have many problems on the coaching and recruiting front for us to be optimistic for next year.

PRO: Amida was the only effective player today who Cinci had to play and respect who had 16 and 5.

CON: This is a tie between Adams no show and Ollies coaching. Jalen has to play better than this, he is looking way too slow and lethargic out there, and has trouble beating his guy off the dribble.

Ollie needs to stop playing hot potato with substituting his best player out of the game and allowing other teams to go on huge runs. And stop switching to a horrendous so called zone defense that always gets abused by any decent team. The program is in serious trouble with Ollie at the helm.

The recruiting class that has been predominantly injured the entire season?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Cincy never cared about Brimah's alley oops. The plan was to stop Adams and extend UConn's defense.

It worked like a champ.

For the last 17 minutes of the game the outcome was never in doubt.

Reaction Score

This recruiting class was not flawed. 2/3 of the best players on our team were injured.

Larrier was being projected in the lottery until he got hurt. In all likelihood, he and Adams were going to be vying for the top spot on this team. Through our first few games, Larrier shined.

'Rique was going to be our #2 option at guard.

Two amazing players were injured.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
This team is what it is, bring on Football season

Reaction Score
Cincy never cared about Brimah's alley oops. The plan was to stop Adams and extend UConn's defense.

It worked like a champ.

Making UConn extend its defense works well when Cincy was burying just about every 3 they put up. We probably didn't extend our defense enough.

Reaction Score
This recruiting class was not flawed. 2/3 of the best players on our team were injured.

Larrier was being projected in the lottery until he got hurt. In all likelihood, he and Adams were going to be vying for the top spot on this team. Through our first few games, Larrier shined.

'Rique was going to be our #2 option at guard.

Two amazing players were injured.
Larrier was being projected for the lottery before he got hurt? One site had him at 21 after the Nike skills camp and I don't remember seeing him on any other draft boards. It stinks we lost Alterique and Larrier who I think would have been good for us but seems some are tending to look at them as saviors now (amazing players, lottery pick.)#alternativefacts

Reaction Score

It worked like a champ.

Adams looks tired to me, think the workload of having to do it all with very little rest has caught up with him which is understandable. He's had a couple rough ones lately.

C

Chief00

If Adams is tired - something is wrong with the dude - it's College and it did not go into OT - nor was it played at a crazy pace.

Now maybe he is mentally fatigue by the tough season - I might buy that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Pro: Another very good game by Rodney.
Kids could have packed it in when down 25. They didn't quit. I like their toughness.

Con: We lacked mobile big who could have guarded Washington. Bad matchup for UConn that Cinci exploited. Injury to Larrier and slow recovey and development with Durham might have negated some of that matchup problem.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Really you found Amida to be effective? He and all of the bigs were owned by Clark and Washington - if you call being effective getting a few alley oops that no one cared about and letting their 2 bigs getting 48 and 20 then you need to study a bit more. They did what they wanted on defense and that was to be sure Jalen and Facey didn't kill them and they played it right. Not one big gets how to play a guy on the perimeter, none of them.

You're mindless drivel every game has become inconsistent game to game as we have no idea who you will blame. I guess it's entertaining in a way because you don't know , but maybe you should quit!

Reaction Score
Did Facey play yesterday? I didn't notice him on the court. Can the talk of him being drafted please stop. And I appreciate what he has given. I actually like him. Just sick of the ridiculous chatter here.

Reaction Score
Did Facey play yesterday? I didn't notice him on the court. Can the talk of him being drafted please stop. And I appreciate what he has given. I actually like him. Just sick of the ridiculous chatter here.

No one talked of him being drafted please find that. I haven't seen anyone even come close to this. He has been excellent for who he is, he had the ball on the rim and it just wouldn't go in. He didn't play very well it happens why hammer him?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
One thing that is clear from Alterique's injury is that we need a second ball handler, another pg... purvis is not that and vital is doing a great job trying to fill that role. He had good looks but his shot went in and out in the first half. Facey had his worse game of the year missing all those bunnies. Our team struggles mightily when the other teams 4 & 5 can step out onto the perimeter and hit shots. For some reason Amida didnt stay with his guy but continually sagged below the free throw line. Enoch looks lost on defense.

What confused me was why we kept going to Amida downlow and not Facey early on. Also we didnt look for Vance that often. Teams are putting so much pressure on Jalen that he plays rushed now and with the lack of ball handlers on the team it adds unnecessary pressure on him. Vance might be the second best ball handler on the team. Next year if we're all healthy we'll have Adams, Gilbert, MAL as primary ball handlers with larrier, vital and jackson being able to help.

Next year might be addition by subtraction with Purvis being gone. I hate to say it bc he's a great kid and represents the school very well. Not sure how we'll do defensively without Amida as Enoch has shown to be too slow and Durham I'm not sure given he's been injured for about 2 years. We need size and skill with our last two schollies, primarily 3-5.

Also this team has never had any flow or chemistry this year as our roster has fluctuated between 6-8 "healthy" players.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
With the exception of one post, we've really been ignoring the great game Purvi has. Hopefully his shot will keep falling and lead us to some wins down the stretch.
but at the same time it's fools goldwith him. He'll hit 2 jumpers and then dribble the air out of the ball and jack up a couple threes. The team and purvis do best when the ball is continually moving as are the players. Purvis is a better shooter when the ball comes to him

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Larrier was being projected for the lottery before he got hurt? One site had him at 21 after the Nike skills camp and I don't remember seeing him on any other draft boards. It stinks we lost Alterique and Larrier who I think would have been good for us but seems some are tending to look at them as saviors now (amazing players, lottery pick.)#alternativefacts
I saw some people post sites that had larrier as a top first round pick/ lottery but it didnt last long. Also yeah they would've helped turn this team around. We desperately need another ball handler, scorer, and better defense on the perimeter. those two would've helped and the team you saw in the first two games would not be the same team at this point in the season

Reaction Score
Everyone analyzing this and that but all you need to know is this... at one point during the game good guys down 20+ points, Cinci at the free throw line, and UConn player smoking and joking with Cinci player at the top. You can figure out who. No heart, no fire! The great players, even the good players, would be p*ssed off and firing up their teammates. That's all you need to know.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
One thing that is clear from Alterique's injury is that we need a second ball handler, another pg... purvis is not that and vital is doing a great job trying to fill that role. He had good looks but his shot went in and out in the first half. Facey had his worse game of the year missing all those bunnies. Our team struggles mightily when the other teams 4 & 5 can step out onto the perimeter and hit shots. For some reason Amida didnt stay with his guy but continually sagged below the free throw line. Enoch looks lost on defense.

What confused me was why we kept going to Amida downlow and not Facey early on. Also we didnt look for Vance that often. Teams are putting so much pressure on Jalen that he plays rushed now and with the lack of ball handlers on the team it adds unnecessary pressure on him. Vance might be the second best ball handler on the team. Next year if we're all healthy we'll have Adams, Gilbert, MAL as primary ball handlers with larrier, vital and jackson being able to help.

Next year might be addition by subtraction with Purvis being gone. I hate to say it bc he's a great kid and represents the school very well. Not sure how we'll do defensively without Amida as Enoch has shown to be too slow and Durham I'm not sure given he's been injured for about 2 years. We need size and skill with our last two schollies, primarily 3-5.

Also this team has never had any flow or chemistry this year as our roster has fluctuated between 6-8 "healthy" players.
I actually felt the last two games Rodney was our best playmaker. He's been far more effective at getting AB and Kentan the ball and kicking the ball out than what we saw from him earlier in the season. It's unfortunate that the season is almost over (I'm not giving up because it's things like this that maybe can help them win 3 in a row) when his light switched on, but as frustrated as we've been with him I think we need to acknowledge when a player is playing well and not let our emotional angers and frustrations miss the good in these kids.

The game plan was to go to AB because of match ups. The coaches correctly realized there was no one who could guard AB in the post. They got him the ball early and he managed to get to the line, but the refs missed a lot of fouls Cinci was making on him at the beginning. And then AB reverted. I'm sure during the week the team practiced this exploitation and AB looked good. But he is a limited player.

They made an adjustment in the second half and got the ball to Kentan. He had his opportunities and was less effective than AB. That was a momentum killer because it might have changed the confidence of the Cinci players if he could have converted the plays he's been making in most of the recent games.

H

huskymagic

The recruiting class that has been predominantly injured the entire season?

Yes injuring yourself or re-injuring yourself as soon as you step foot on campus is a flaw in and of itself. I like Vance as a player but he is slow and not very athletic, he needs to lose 10-15 pounds and become more mobile. CV is ok. We should be better next year with Makai coming in to help Jalen and with CV and Alterique. The big question is who starts with Jalen next year: Makai, Alterique, or CV because Terry and Vance will be starting and how does Ollie manage that guard situation. Ollie needs to be more of a dictator with his team and less of a players coach to reign in bad tendencies and keep guys accountable.

We need to start recruiting guys who can contribute from Day 1 not year 3 year from the time they step foot on campus. Cumberland from Cinci is playing well for a freshman. Jacob Evans last year for Cinci was great as a freshman. Other than exciting plays for Amida and Jalen's heave last year we are playing like a rundown Pitt team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom