CIAC Playoffs... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

CIAC Playoffs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Berlin had one of the best drives I've seen in HS in a lot of years. 21 plays, 80 yds and 10 minutes off the clock. But after that 4th down call they got outscored 28-0 and had maybe one first down.

That was a nice goal line stand though...

Reaction Score
Hand 23, Windsor 6 Final

Hand completely dominated the second half and will finish as the #1 team in the state. Windsor is big, with outstanding athletes. But, undisciplined athletes will never beat disciplined FOOTBALL players.

The SCC & NVL completed back-to-back seasons of football dominance in CT.

Reaction Score
Hand 23, Windsor 6 Final

Hand completely dominated the second half and will finish as the #1 team in the state. Windsor is big, with outstanding athletes. But, undisciplined athletes will never beat disciplined FOOTBALL players.

Thanks for all the updates! Clearly a fan of CT HS Football.

Reaction Score
@Kris1 - Newsome end up w/ 40 or 41 TDs?
9/14W 66-26Torrington (CT)5
09/21W 47-16Woodland Regional (CT)3
09/27W 48-6Derby (CT)1
10/05W 35-7Holy Cross (CT)2
10/18W 49-21Watertown (CT)2
10/26W 61-20Crosby (CT) 2
11/02W 41-12Wolcott (CT)4
11/09W 44-12Wilby (CT) 2
11/15W 56-26Woodland Regional (CT) 4
11/22W 48-27Naugatuck (CT)5
11/28W 53-16Prince RVT (CT)5
12/2 W 41-13 Hyde Leadership 4
12/8 W 59-26 North Branford 3

Reaction Score
41 TDs. I went back to look at his total again. I think MaxPreps is wrong, the numbers don't add up. He had 116 total going into today. So, add 3 more to the total, 119. He had 16 in 2010, 62 in 2011, so he would have to have 41 in 2012.

Career numbers:
610 carries
6805 yards (11.1 yd/c)
119 TDs

**Newsome needs 1475 yards to surpass Alex Thomas (810 carries, 8279 yards) as CT All-time leading rusher. Ansonia could potentially play 15-games next season, if they advance to the State Final in 2013. The next two years are 11-game regular seasons.

Reaction Score
41 TDs. I went back to look at his total again. I think MaxPreps is wrong, the numbers don't add up. He had 116 total going into today. So, add 3 more to the total, 119. He had 16 in 2010, 62 in 2011, so he would have to have 41 in 2012.

Career numbers:
610 carries
6805 yards (11.1 yd/c)
119 TDs

**Newsome needs 1475 yards to surpass Alex Thomas (810 carries, 8279 yards) as CT All-time leading rusher. Ansonia could potentially play 15-games next season, if they advance to the State Final in 2013. The next two years are 11-game regular seasons.
What's even more impressive is that he plays cornerback. He and QB, McKnight, also at corner, and they ran a LOT today. That they still had it in the 4th quarter was very impressive. Kudos to Ansonia. Great win.

Reaction Score
Hand 23, Windsor 6 Final

Agree, Windsor seemed like a good physical match up, but they didn't have the discipline or conditioning to make it a game in the second half.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Once Outlow was gone NFA had no chance. Tough break for him, but hes a tough kid. The Xavier defensive and offensive lines were outstanding today. DeAngelo is a terrific young man whos' at least a division 2 football prospect and a d-1 track prospect on top of that. hearing hes been recruited by schools at every level for football but no one knows where he'll end up. Best of luck to him and everyone other senior on the field today/

He'll play 1-AA somewhere. He is a tough runner for his size and has that extra something special in my opinion. His feet are the only thing hurting him from a BCS offer

pj

Reaction Score
Pin this loss on the bad play call by the Berlin coach. Up 12-6, 5 minutes left in 3rd. He goes for 4th and 1 at his own 23. Hillhouse holds scores 3-4 plays later and never looks back. Now Hillhouse up 27-12 with 6:14 left.

Don't blame the coach. If you know the other team has more speed and talent, you need to kill the clock with a 6 point lead and keep the ball away from them. Inferior teams need to gamble a bit. They lost 34-12. A punt would only have gained 30 yards, a first down gains at least as much yardage plus minutes of clock and potential to score. All they needed was a 25% chance to make the first to make it a good call, in my view.

Reaction Score
Don't blame the coach. If you know the other team has more speed and talent, you need to kill the clock with a 6 point lead and keep the ball away from them. Inferior teams need to gamble a bit. They lost 34-12. A punt would only have gained 30 yards, a first down gains at least as much yardage plus minutes of clock and potential to score. All they needed was a 25% chance to make the first to make it a good call, in my view.
Respectfully disagree. That's where the momentum swung to Hillhouse. Even a 30-yard punt forces Hillhouse to drive 53 yards to score, using clock, rather then 23 and seizing momentum. That was deflating to Berlin kids. Unfortunately, it also showed that Capodice hasn't learned from his past mistakes. He did the same thing two years ago. I'm all for being aggressive but not in that spot. Where is doesn't make sense is with 7 minutes left in the 4th on Hillhouse's 40, trailing, he opted to punt. At that point you have nothing to lose. If you ask any other HC, who played over the weekend, they would have played field position. That was too early to panic. Up to that point they kept Hillhouse in check and played great defense.

pj

Reaction Score
Maybe so. I think the reason coaches don't go for it in that situation is not because it's an illogical move, but because of the emotional consequences of failing. Passion and hope and aggressiveness are so important in football; a deflated team can lose quickly, and high school kids may not have the poise to deal with adversity as well as more experienced players do. But if you took out the emotional aspects, I think there's a good case for going for it in that situation. You have to be able to judge your odds of success on 4th and 1. You have to have a high percentage of play against a defense stacking the box. You have to have practiced it thoroughly.

One big coaching mistake is trying to be the coach who wins the game, instead of letting the players win the game. I think GDL makes this mistake, it's his greatest weakness. Maybe the Berlin coach is infected too.

Reaction Score
And they only had 6" or so, and they'd been ripping off big runs all day. Iffy, but showed confidence in his guys.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. That's where the momentum swung to Hillhouse. Even a 30-yard punt forces Hillhouse to drive 53 yards to score, using clock, rather then 23 and seizing momentum. That was deflating to Berlin kids. Unfortunately, it also showed that Capodice hasn't learned from his past mistakes. He did the same thing two years ago. I'm all for being aggressive but not in that spot. Where is doesn't make sense is with 7 minutes left in the 4th on Hillhouse's 40, trailing, he opted to punt. At that point you have nothing to lose. If you ask any other HC, who played over the weekend, they would have played field position. That was too early to panic. Up to that point they kept Hillhouse in check and played great defense.
PJ, I got to agree with Kris here. You're at your own 23 yard line, with a 18 minutes left. You held the House to 1 td on their 2nd offensive play of the game, don't put your "D" with their backs against the wall.

Reaction Score
Props to Ansonia, but what an awful schedule that is.
It is, what it is. The NVL was a very good league at one time. Unfortunately, those days are over and have been for quite a while. Naugatuck, Watertown, Torrington, Sacred Heart, and I guess you could include Derby, were at one time, perennial powers. As it is they can only play who they play. But, Ansonia's been so dominant that it's hard to judge the league. They've had good teams other then Ansonia recently, but they're compared to...well Ansonia. That's tough to match. Even going into last season, everyone thought that being in Class M, they would be challenged in the playoffs, they weren't. From what has been written lately, the CIAC is discussing the possibility of an allowing teams to play up or possibly creating an Open Division. Something that hasn't been done since Ansonia petitioned the CIAC to do in 1978. Ansonia was riding a 36-game winning streak (state best at the time) and moved up to face Amity in the LL title game. A game in which their streak was snapped in a 35-20 loss. In 1979, they played up again, beating a very good Seymour team for the M title, 28-14. Then in 1980, after Ansonia lost to defending LL champ Newington 28-14, the CIAC removed the "Ansonia Rule" from the books. The CIAC felt Ansonia was displacing a worthy LL school from a spot in the title game. Ansonia played in 9 straight championship game from 1976-1984 (7-2) and 16 out of 20 from 1976-1995. Ansonia has never gone more then 2 years without a trip to a state title game since their inception in 1976.

http://rep-am.com/sports/redzone/doc50c1e7d61403d540516297.txt

Reaction Score
It is, what it is. The NVL was a very good league at one time. Unfortunately, those days are over and have been for quite a while. Naugatuck, Watertown, Torrington, Sacred Heart, and I guess you could include Derby, were at one time, perennial powers. As it is they can only play who they play. But, Ansonia's been so dominant that it's hard to judge the league. They've had good teams other then Ansonia recently, but they're compared to...well Ansonia. That's tough to match. Even going into last season, everyone thought that being in Class M, they would be challenged in the playoffs, they weren't. From what has been written lately, the CIAC is discussing the possibility of an allowing teams to play up or possibly creating an Open Division. Something that hasn't been done since Ansonia petitioned the CIAC to do in 1978. Ansonia was riding a 36-game winning streak (state best at the time) and moved up to face Amity in the LL title game. A game in which their streak was snapped in a 35-20 loss. In 1979, they played up again, beating a very good Seymour team for the M title, 28-14. Then in 1980, after Ansonia lost to defending LL champ Newington 28-14, the CIAC removed the "Ansonia Rule" from the books. The CIAC felt Ansonia was displacing a worthy LL school from a spot in the title game. Ansonia played in 9 straight championship game from 1976-1984 (7-2) and 16 out of 20 from 1976-1995. Ansonia has never gone more then 2 years without a trip to a state title game since their inception in 1976.

http://rep-am.com/sports/redzone/doc50c1e7d61403d540516297.txt

Any talk of Anonia joining the SCC? Just doesn't seem right they don't play Shelton anymore (I don't count the scrimmage). My junior year was the last time those teams played in the regular season, I believe (1993).

Reaction Score
Better chance Shelton goes to the NVL than Ansonia to SCC
All Shelton's traditional rivals are in the NVL
What tie does Shelton actually have to the SCC? A couple of old Housy foes that haven't been competative.
The real games were always Seymour, Ansonia and Derby.

What tie other than Shelton would Ansonia have in the SCC?
Played for Shelton in two Ansonia games and would love to see it happen again.
Even though I live in Arizona I still look up scores.

Reaction Score
What tie does Shelton actually have to the SCC? A couple of old Housy foes that haven't been competative.

That's actually a good point. The road to the playoffs would be a lot easier playing in the NVL too. The SCC is just brutal. I think Shelton should play Seymour, Ansonia, and Derby every year.

Reaction Score

Shelton is not the program it use to be either. The numbers have seemed to dwindle. They were a team that had great skill kids and were huge upfront. The last few years, they've had skill kids bigger then the lineman and kids have quit the program for whatever reason. And the Huntington faction of the school system considers themselves a part of Fairfield county. Shelton should play Derby, Ansonia, and Seymour every year but I don't see that happening.

Reaction Score
I think Shelton had a respectable year this year. Losses were to : Xavier, Hand, Fairfield Prep and Cheshire (3 pts).

Reaction Score
I agree Shelton is a better geographic fit for the NVL though.

Also heard SPB reporting the Bridgeport (Central. Harding, Bassick) schools were in talks with the NVL for membership. Any news on that front?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom